Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Network?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

ACC Network?

Feb 9, 2015, 10:12 AM

Help me understand this. There have been recent articles about how the SEC Network could bring possibly $35 million dollars annually to each team. I also looked up that ACC teams got about $20 million each last year from TV deal, basically what SEC teams got. The recent article on, I think, TI about how Clemson has to use money wisely as it competes with the SEC teams in recruiting, with new revenues they will have from the SEC network. Folks are they really going to be getting $35 million new dollars per school, each year? Unless the ACC does something it is going to be an uphill battle to keep up in the arms race. Sure schools like Clemson will spend what they have to in football but it will be a trickle down effect and really effect the rest of the schools sports teams.

I read where the ACC is obviously exploring a network. Because those networks need a lot live events, and the fact that basketball has so many games, I have also read where the ACC could potentially have a network as lucrative as the SEC. Sure SEC football is a cash cow but my understanding is in a network scenerio a lot more than football is important.

Where does this all stand? Because of Swofford (and of course his son) deal with Raycom are we stuck right now? I mean Raycom has rights for years and years to ACC content. Folks, I am not a sky is falling kind of guy and Clemson will hopefully find a way but this is serious. Especially with this stipend issue and other increasing demands on Athletic Department funds. Hey Swofford get off your a@@

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Network?

Feb 9, 2015, 10:14 AM

I think the only tig studied is how to enrich the Swoffs

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great TV Markets

Feb 9, 2015, 10:27 AM

We've got Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Upstate New York, all of VA and some pretty large markets in Upstate SC, Northern KY and the Triad in NC, so just based on population alone we ought to be compensated as well as the SEC, even with their NFL level football prowess ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Tiger man needs no introduction...

when the ACC TV contract was redone a few years ago

Feb 9, 2015, 10:36 AM

it passed the SEC, people said the SEC would just renegotiate with TAM an MO added and bump the conf back past the ACC-- that didn't happen, but they did decide to create a network instead. The projections which many think are pipe-dream based on B10 experience are not for $35 mil new $s, the projections they made are for that to be the new total vs ACCs low 20s. Reality is SEC tv rev net of operating expenses will likely be a number in the 25-30 range. The ACC will decide if it is a significant difference worth pursuing based on reality not the pomp and smoke that has preceded it. Remember LHN was supposed be incredible-- not.

Re: when the ACC TV contract was redone a few years ago

Feb 9, 2015, 10:42 AM

LHN is in the toilet because Texas has been terrible. Strange that no one considered that...I'm sure having a Volunteer Network would have seemed like a good idea a few years ago too, or a GatorNet, or a SoCalTV. Somebody was hitting the kool-aid pretty hard out there when the LHN was created.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Tiger man needs no introduction...

Re: ACC Network?

Feb 9, 2015, 10:37 AM

The SEC network will not give schools an additional 35 million dollars. Originally it was projected that new network would add 2-5 million per school. Numbers were blown way out of proportion when cable companies signed on to broadcast the network. Based on packages and tiers these numbers were inflated by news companies wanting to make a headline. Yes the SEC network will provide more revenue to schools but we have already seen that kind of revenue generated by the Big 10 network. The biggest boost in profits are coming via the playoff money which the ACC got an even split of 85% of the profit. Everyone in college football just came into a windfall of profit and those numbers will continue to grow, but the ACC has positioned itself to be competitive with the other leagues.

null

Okay, good

Feb 9, 2015, 10:42 AM

That sounds more reasonable. I read the article, may be it was just some SEC propaganda, and it clearly said new $35 million. But thanks for clarifying. To me that just did not seem right. I guess this summer their "official" numbers will come out.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic