Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
when did you become a tiger...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

when did you become a tiger...

Aug 12, 2016, 10:09 AM

At what moment did you truly become a tiger. I dont mean just pulling for them to win and wearing shirts. I mean there was a moment when you knew this is my team and my family for life. For me it was watching the 98 clemson-fsu game. We didnt win but my dad and i watched it together. Both of us screaming and hollering the entire game like we were helping the team win lol. One of the happiest memories in my life. I realize it might sound odd to other people but that scene rolls through my head often. So whos next?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1970 10 years old***

Aug 12, 2016, 10:11 AM

The EXACT Minute I was born!!!!!!

Aug 12, 2016, 10:12 AM

JULY 1949

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The EXACT Minute I was born!!!!!!

Aug 12, 2016, 11:48 AM

Exactly! 77 for me, no way my dad was letting me be anything other than a Tiger! Even after I transferred into UNCheat from CPCC/DTCC/WTCC (due to a matter of in-state cost and convenience), I wore only Tiger apparel and even sat in the student section wearing it during games, even when UNCheat wasn't playing Clemson...Needless to say I came very close to a lot of fist fights in the 2 years I was there LOL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orientation visit 1984 hooked up with

Aug 12, 2016, 10:18 AM

A cute little tiger lady, she more than convinced me

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when did you become a tiger...

Aug 12, 2016, 10:19 AM

weel....having spent infancy in married student housing while good ol'Dad went to school in the mornings and worked until dawn at Utica-Mohawk, I have practically no memory of when I became a Clemson fan---there's been nothing else but. And while I occasionally miss those bucolic, almost isolated '50's in our tiny college town, one change that has been a tremendous improvement is ALL the good lookin' co-eds that started showing up in the mid-60's!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2016, 10:20 AM

40 weeks before I was born ;)

Same here. My parents met at Clemson

Aug 12, 2016, 2:43 PM

Although my dad grew up a gamecock fan he converted and was the main reason I grew up a Tiger. Aunts and uncles went to Clemson. Born in Simpsonville, I was born a Tiger.

Last year after Gallman's TD in the FSU game***

Aug 12, 2016, 10:22 AM

Aug 12, 2016, 10:23 AM

I think it was 1969. I was 7. My dad had come to Clemson married with 2 kids. Ray Yauger was in his classes. For those of you who never saw him run..wow! He was my hero. My dad set it up with Ray that I would meet him after a game. But Ray got hurt and had to leave the game early. My dad threw me over the wall as Ray was walking to the tunnel. I ran down the sideline..security was lax in those days. And yelled at him. He stopped, put his around around me and walked into the tunnel. I walked with him all the way to the locker room door. Neither of us said a word. He stopped, grimaced with pain, gave me his chin strap and said Go Tigers. Been bleeding Orange ever since.
Go Tigers!!
PS that was way before the mean joe green coke commercial :)

Aug 12, 2016, 10:26 AM

Awesome. That sounds like something out of a movie lol. Some guys have all the luck

Aug 12, 2016, 10:24 AM

Early 70's. But I new for sure in 1978 when Clemson played Ohio St. In the Gator Bowl. Danny Fords first game. Awesome! Watch on Utube "Woody Hayes vs Charlie Bowman"!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2003 Peach Bowl Tennessee vs. Clemson in a classic upset

Aug 12, 2016, 10:25 AM

..I was 13

Re: 2003 Peach Bowl Tennessee vs. Clemson in a classic upset

Aug 12, 2016, 10:26 AM

Class of '09 is confused.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its 10am on a friday. give me a break. ;)***

Aug 12, 2016, 10:41 AM

Re: its 10am on a friday. give me a break. ;)***

Aug 12, 2016, 10:45 AM

This is a break. Its a break from all the drama of the off season drama and the lull before a new season. A break to stop and reflect on what made us bleed orange and remind us of whats important. :)

Aug 12, 2016, 10:30 AM

I really started paying attention and following during the 2004 season, but the moment I knew I wanted to go to Clemson was the 2009 FSU game. I was a senior in high school at the time and I had been a fan and followed the team as previously mentioned, but I was deciding between Coastal (I was almost had a full ride) and Clemson. Once the whole stadium started singing we will rock you, I made the best decision of my life. I have been in Death Valley for all the big wins since and have not felt that kind of atmosphere again.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 12, 2016, 10:31 AM

I guess it is confession time. I was born and raised a Gamecock fan. Fortunate enough to Marry a Tiger fan in 1968. Went to Clemson games with her family. Became a member of IPTAY and attended all games. Remained a Carolina fan until before the start on the 1980 season. It is true there was "something in those hills". My Family was shocked but accepted it and still loves me (except during football season). We remain IPTAY members although we don't attend games now due to health issues. My only regret is I didn't convert earlier, and yes I have on Orange today. Today me and my Bride of almost 48 years are riding to Clemson. Just have to take it all in one more time! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2016, 10:37 AM

Side note i got to take my step son to the clemson louisville game last year. By far the best part of the game is when he looks at me and says clemson is his favorite team....other than his little league team of course. I will take it

the womb

Aug 12, 2016, 10:44 AM
tiger.jpg(29.9 K)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

August 16th 1991 . Day I moved into jonstone freshman yr.***

Aug 12, 2016, 11:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

1977/78. I was 10 or 11

Aug 12, 2016, 11:12 AM
image.jpeg(94.6 K)

I watched the coaches' shows on Sundays and decided I liked the Paw, the orange, and Tiger Rag much more than the chicken, the dark red, and whatever their song is.
In pick up football games I was Steve Fuller.
My mother bought me a Clemson nylon button-up jacket, and when I moved to Florida in 1979 everyone asked, "Who is Clemson?" Of course, after the championship and the recruitment of the local star, Terrance Flagler, I wore that jacket more proudly than ever.
Almost enrolled at Clemson but had to stay in Charleston while a family medical situation played out; then my stepfather died in an accident, so a semester at CofC turned into a year, etc.

My son is a second year engineering student who has been a Tiger since he was two and yelled out "Go Tigers" during pre game warm ups at Williams-Brice (they were playing Kentucky). Couldn't figure out what made him do that until the following week, when we were driving down I-77 for the next SCar game, and he joined in with the guys on the Tiger Tailgate Show as they threw it over to Jim Phillips with a "Goooo Tigers!!!" A week or two later I decided he was ready for the road trip, and he's been attending Clemson games ever since. When he was about 10 or 11, we were at the Missouri game, and he asked me something about a rule or penalty or something like down-and-distance. At that time I knew he was a full fledged football fan, as interested in the game as he had been into running out into the fired after the game.

WL

Aug 12, 2016, 11:21 AM

1958 after the NC State Game in which Roman Gabriel didn't even play the 4th Quarter. I was in 8th grade. Clemson was only college I applied to.

Aug 12, 2016, 11:37 AM

Technically since birth but my true love began when I attended my first game October 31, 1981. Clemson 82 Wake Forest 24. Sat in the south upper deck. The memory is still vivid all these years later.

Aug 12, 2016, 11:42 AM

The day the sperm met the egg.
I had no choice but it was a very good one.

Fuller to Butler...***

Aug 12, 2016, 11:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

November of 2015, once I realized we were going to make the

Aug 12, 2016, 11:50 AM

playoffs. I'm back on the fence right now, but a few big wins could change that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You like sitting on that post...?***

Aug 12, 2016, 11:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to where I mentioned anything about

Aug 12, 2016, 12:32 PM

sitting on a post?

TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

the honesty is refreshing

Aug 12, 2016, 12:14 PM [ in reply to November of 2015, once I realized we were going to make the ]

unlike some on this bored - @ class09 alias gwpcoot

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Aug 12, 2016, 12:05 PM

Although I attended my first game at age six in 1959, my first real memory was the 1967 Clemson versus Alabama contest in DV. The Tigers lost 13-10 due to several missed FGs.
The 1974 win over UNC was a game I really recall and thus I have been a fan and supporter for quite a few seasons, good and not so good! The 1978 Gator bowl win with my late father was really special. Just hope our Tigers win the national championship several more times in my lifetime.

Go Tigers!

I grew up going to events

Aug 12, 2016, 12:15 PM

baseball, basketball, football, volleyball, track, tennis and more. I don't ever remember considering pulling for another team. When I was in my teen years I did consider going to a different school for college just to be different but I realized nowhere was going to be as good as Clemson

First grade

Aug 12, 2016, 12:21 PM

All my cousins were Coots and I remember one of them gave me a USuC jacket one year. I wore it to school and remember seeing another guy wearing a Clemson jacket. I liked it more. A few weeks later I was in Columbia Mall listening to a transistor radio and heard The Catch by Butler. I realized then that I would be a Clemson fan because it made me cheer a little.

Bear Skin Inn.. Gatlinburg, TN. Conception baby!!!!!***

Aug 12, 2016, 12:24 PM

Feels like I was born into it because my

Aug 12, 2016, 12:28 PM

entire family attended CU. Also, it didn't hurt that my Dad told me he'd pay for my college tuition to any school I wanted.......as long as it was Clemson. Wouldn't want it any other way! Thanks Dad!
I guess I started actually watching the games in their entirety (instead of playing pick-up games with other kids or sliding down the hill on a piece of cardboard) when I was around 9 or 10.

December 18 1981

Aug 12, 2016, 12:41 PM

I was born less than a month before our ship!

1978.. I grew up going to Athens...

Aug 12, 2016, 12:59 PM

My maternal uncle who still lives in Athens took me to UGA games. I remember the tracks outside the stadium were crowded with deadbeats who watched the game through the fences. I remember drunks throwing up all over other fans in the stands. I saw appalling things that no child should see, especially at a football game.

Then I was taken by my paternal uncle to Clemson and I knew then that this was my team. There's just something in those hills.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my family did not allow a choice! 1974***

Aug 12, 2016, 1:14 PM

Halloween 1981, The Hill

Aug 12, 2016, 1:14 PM

I was 13

Aug 12, 2016, 1:17 PM

When Hayes punched Bauman

2012 VS LSU Chickfila bowl***

Aug 12, 2016, 2:03 PM

Aug 12, 2016, 2:04 PM

I always have been since I can remember. I've always watched them play and wanted them to win. I would say the peach bowl against UT was when I really started caring on every down.

Aug 12, 2016, 2:11 PM

March 1, 1981.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First day I stepped on campus

Aug 12, 2016, 2:23 PM

as a freshman student in 1973. I still feel that thrill and feel like I'm 18 again every time I walk on campus.

Aug 12, 2016, 2:25 PM

At Birth June 1953....

Aug 12, 2016, 2:36 PM

Sometime during high school ~1976. Been a tiger since. Went to AC then to Tricounty and then CU. Graduated and work there for 30 years.
Been a great 50+ years! First game was the 81 Orange Bowl. Worked on Saturday. After that I would take up tickets to get in for many years. Went to many games as my father-in-law was iptay member. Until they priced us out. Try to get to at least one game each year.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

age 3.***

Aug 12, 2016, 2:37 PM

Aug 12, 2016, 3:18 PM

I grew up a Tar Heel fan, and when I decided to come to Clemson, I told myself I would always pull for the Heels.

Then this game happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7Vpwl9SZk

I knew I was Tiger forever after this day. I couldn't help it.

8 years old....

Aug 12, 2016, 3:52 PM

When my mom married to stepfather. I turned to a tiger fan from coot. He saved my life. I owe him one.

July 1995. I had been accepted ...

Aug 12, 2016, 4:10 PM

but still had never been to Clemson. I had grown up in Maryland as a huge Terps fan so I still wasn't sure Clemson was the right place for me. My mom and came down for our first visit and an orientation. We got to the hotel around 9 pm and I told my mom I was taking the rental car for a ride and would be back shortly. First place I went was to Death Valley. Parked the car in front of the stadium and walked up to the gates. I was in awe and hooked. Then the next day, I saw what Southern Women were all about. Couldn't wait to get back in August to start the semester and my first football season as student/fan.

The moment I stepped on Campus

Aug 12, 2016, 4:31 PM

Fall 1994

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2016, 5:15 PM

1977 when I visited campus looking at schools in Carolinas

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2016, 7:49 PM

In 1959 I was in the room while my dad was watching tv Clemson vs LSU in the Sugar Bowl, he said I should pull for our local SC school, I was too young to be interested. Fast forward and I found myself as a married student living in the pre-fabs. Had so much fun going to those games. One of my most exciting memories was a few years later standing on the hill for the Notre Dame game. We lost, but came so close to beating them and they were national champs that year. A hint of things to come.

November 18, 1995

Aug 12, 2016, 7:57 PM

The day Emory Smith dragged coot 20 yards down the field.

at conception. Beat that!***

Aug 12, 2016, 8:18 PM

There would be no conception....

Aug 12, 2016, 8:19 PM

had your parents taken your advice.

my advice would have been waited so when I was born

Aug 12, 2016, 10:35 PM

you would be longggg gone

officially - the day I got my acceptance letter in the mail

Aug 12, 2016, 8:24 PM

but I pulled for Clemson sports longer than I can clearly remember as a child. My parents didn't go to college, but one of my uncles went to Clemson, so I imagine he's the one responsible for pointing me in that direction.

Aug 12, 2016, 9:05 PM

Went to my first Clemson game while in high school back in 1990.

Went to school at Clemson in mid to late 90s.

Went to my first bowl game in 1999. Can anyone explain why I hate cow bells?

But I became this crazy Clemson fan back in 2004. There was just something about the Peach Bowl against TN. As usual, everyone said we were going to lose.

Aug 12, 2016, 11:56 PM

November 16,1980 when I was born

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic