Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Offense inconsistent but coaches still confident in future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,435

New Story: Offense inconsistent but coaches still confident in future

Sep 13, 2015, 12:01 AM

Offense inconsistent but coaches still confident in future

Saturday’s offensive performance was a mixed bag for the Tigers, but Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott are confident in what lies ahead. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Offense inconsistent but coaches still confident in future

Sep 13, 2015, 3:51 AM

I saw our offensive performance turn around when Jay Guillermo came in at center. For whatever reason, Norton just didn't look like he ever got into the groove of the game when he was in. Bad snaps, awkward timing, missed assignments. I'm not sure if it was a hangover effect from his injury last week, and I certainly hated to see him go out today. But our offense looked totally different with Guillermo at center.

Sep 13, 2015, 8:33 AM

I thought the same thing. Norton's snaps were all over the place causing Watson to focus more on just getting the snap than reading the defense - felt like this had a lot to do with the "sluggish" start. I sure hope Norton is back to form this Thursday night as the tolerance for errors will be much lower with Louisville.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2015, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Offense inconsistent but coaches still confident in future ]

+1... My thoughts exactly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what is the reporters name to left of

Sep 13, 2015, 7:04 AM

Coach Scott??? Is that korncoot?? I don't know who that guy is.

Re: what is the reporters name to left of

Sep 13, 2015, 7:53 AM

Yes, that is the infamous Korncoot. His facial gyrations are a bit overboard.

I love Eilliot, but...

Sep 13, 2015, 9:09 AM

I miss how Morris was never satisfied. Coach Elliot was thrilled with what he saw last week, according to him. I saw huge issues last week as well. This week it's almost as if he really doesn't see anything that wrong again, when this week it couldn't be any more obvious. Now before anyone gets mad at me etc etc. I love our D. I love the potential of our O as well. I just want to get in that 4 team playoff and win it. No way would our O get us there as of now. That said, I know we have the talent on O to do it. We just need better play calling, tempo, less vanilla(probably not showing much on purpose?), OL performance, and execution. I truly believe before the year is over our O can/will be awesome. It's just has some serious flaws at the moment. Elliot gets me worried the way he responds. On the other hand, maybe everything is completely clear to him and he just uses different coach speak. Who knows? Maybe I am just being paranoid hoping for a special season. Go Tigers!!

Re: I love Eilliot, but...

Sep 13, 2015, 9:46 AM

Vanilla is the clear term here...we're not about to open up our playbook against Wofford or App St. It's obvious from the way JS and TE spoke is these past 2 weeks were about forcing the O into uncomfortable situations, consistently forcing them into running situations when it clearly wasn't there to stress them. We will see all of that change on Thursday. I'm sure they won't completely open up the playbook until Week 4 and ND, but we will see a plan come together that is better executed on Thursday.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post....

Sep 13, 2015, 10:47 AM

That's exactly what I am hoping. I am hoping that I see us open it up and see us completely unpredictable. I want see the TEs involved as well over the middle. Anyway good post ad hope you are 100% on the money.

Sep 13, 2015, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I love Eilliot, but... ]

and the same people last year were griping about Chad for never taking blame, never changing his game plan, etc,etc.

Maybe, just maybe you might try trusting the coaches who see a lot more than any of us do.

Sep 15, 2015, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: I love Eilliot, but... ]

I agree. I didn't take coach Elliot's comments as being complacent or overly pragmatic. He knew the game plan was what it was and responded very business-like. I believe we'll see more style and sharpness Thursday night.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem isn't the play calling, it's the oline....

Sep 13, 2015, 10:58 AM [ in reply to I love Eilliot, but... ]

we could have scored over 60 the past two games if we just mostly passed the ball. Elliott has been trying to establish a running game over the first two games, and once again as it has been ever since Robbie Caldwell has gotten here the oline plays worse than it did the previous seasons. Caldwell just doesn't coach fundamentals. We have basically two starters at center, and they still can't get down how to do a snap with out shooting past our QB. Our olinemen have no footwork what so ever. They just stand up and block with their hands, without moving their feet. And injuries aren't a excuse this year, as the line is healthy. And the line is stacked with 4 and 5 star recruits. Crowder a 5 star, was a huge get for us. Jay Guillermo a 4 star was a huge get for us. Hyatt a 5 star was a huge get for us. Every other position where we bring in 4 and 5 star recruits they go out on the field and perform. We have gotten the exact opposite on the oline. There is a reason why the only two FBS programs Caldwell has coached over a long career are NC State and Vanderbilt.

Dabo has done a great job here, but a few of his quirky decisions has cost us a few wins. The loyalty to Stoudt last season, by putting him back in the UGA game after Watson came in and quickly led the team for a touchdown. Starting Stoudt over Watson in the FSU game last year. Not telling Kyle Parker to make a definitive decision on solely focusing on baseball, just because his helicopter dad wasn't happy with the contract the Rockies signed him to. And not getting rid of Caldwell two years ago. Also, Kelly Bryant needs to be the number 2 QB. Schuessler isn't the long term option as the backup QB over the next two seasons. That is clear over the first two games. Who cares if Schuessler knows the playbook more, he just doesn't have talent to lead the team in case Watson gets injured. It won't hurt to let Bryant to make some mistakes in mop up time, it will only help him to get better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We know what we're capable of."

Sep 13, 2015, 1:34 PM

Those words have been Clemson's curse for over a decade. Capability hasn't been our problem--execution has. & it's going to be hard to execute anything when our OL leaks like a sieve & can't push the line of scrimmage against lesser competition. Our run game was already suspect w/o OL problems. & both of these could have a major impact on our passing game. That said, as much as I love Watson's promise, he's not going to have anywhere near the success we'd all like if someone doesn't teach him how to go through progressions beyond his first option (though this could be a product of poor protection), & how not to stare down every receiver he throws to. Our O has some serious issues to shore up. Luckily our D seems to have very little fall-off. They've been impressive, & we're going to need them.

::::: Losers practice until they get it right. Winners practice until they can't get it wrong. :::::

Perfection - no, but I think we're fine.

Sep 13, 2015, 9:49 PM

We played everybody alot for 2 weeks

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,435
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic