Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
what happened to our defense last year?!?!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,686

what happened to our defense last year?!?!

Jul 5, 2012, 11:05 PM

http://jonmcneal.tumblr.com/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what happened to our defense last year?!?!

Jul 5, 2012, 11:28 PM

Steele's scheme was too easy to exploit with mis-direction. Our Dline was pretty darn good last year, but good O-coordinators knew how to take that away from us.
By the end of the season, he had completely lost the trust of his players, they would not even hi-five him when things were going well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2012, 11:42 PM

Steele's scheme is very complicated for college players to truly grasp. It is an NFL t yep scheme where a ton of pressure falls upon the LB to make adjustments. That will make your defense always second guess themselves, unless they get to practice year round without classes or anything else in their way (NFL). Steele knows defense IMO it is just too complicated for college. His system is more complicated then Saban's.

Kevin Steele happened to our defense last year***

Jul 5, 2012, 11:53 PM

Jul 6, 2012, 12:00 AM

Who can say what happened but The day may come when we may realize that the collapse of the defense was necessary so we would hire the man who would build the best unit in the country.

Jul 6, 2012, 7:24 AM

John Chavis is coming to Clemson? Does the new guy know this?

Jul 6, 2012, 12:14 AM

IMO Our D got worse every year Steele was here. If he was all that good, no way could we have stolen him from Bama. We should have suspected something when Saban let him go. Notice that Bama's D got better, and our D got worse each year.

His D was way too complicated for college kids to understand. I have never, ever seen a more confused D in my entire life. Even in HS. Our guys looked like the Keystone Cops IMO. Always jumping around and confused on almost every play. we only played well against VT. For me - I'm glad he's no longer here.

Jul 6, 2012, 7:26 AM

Clemson didn't steal him from Bama, Dabo hired a guy who was taking a top notch program nowhere and was about to get his ### canned by Saban. I hope I'm wrong but it may be the same with the guy Swinney got to replace him too. Time will tell.

Our defense flat out quit on Kevin Steele at the

Jul 6, 2012, 2:19 AM

end of the season. Just when you thought they got back on track for the ACC title game, the Orange Bowl happened and when things got tough our D simply refused to go to war for their coach. It was sad to watch. Hopefully a new regime will bring new life into our D. There's plenty of talent there!

Re: Our defense flat out quit on Kevin Steele at the

Jul 6, 2012, 7:29 AM

The Clemson D was pathetic from the opening kickoff of the season, it just got exploited more as the season went on, unless you were VT. look at MD, NC State, GT, SC, WVU, and every other game where the opponent put up 20 points or the QB ran for 150.

The offense was maybe 20% of the problem.

Jul 6, 2012, 7:56 AM

Steele's big thing was trying to match up to everything the opponents did. Opposing coaches were able to find out how to exploit this pretty quickly into Steele's tenure. Sometimes the other team just didn't have the right scheme or personnel to exploit it (like VT last year, BC before that). Several have pointed out how MTSU managed to get us to play 90% of the game without our best LB by far (Kavell Conner) on the field. If you can scheme an NFL caliber player off the field simply by a package then you know that we allowed offenses to dictate to us rather than the other way around. Heck, how Steele allowed GT to basically avoid even trying to block Brandon Thompson and Andre Branch and get away with it is beyond me still. How do you not take advantage of that with overloads and slants? And for lack of adjustments, well, we allowed BC in 2010 when we had a "good" defense to run all over us for a half with the one good player that they had. Then we let Conner Shaw kill us with the only thing he could really do. The coots with no Lattimore were a joke offensively, yet we made Shaw look like Steve Young. Should have tempted Stevil to throw the ball 40+ times.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,686
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic