Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
we subbed more than any team to build up backups, did we use many in Natty game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

we subbed more than any team to build up backups, did we use many in Natty game?

Jan 18, 2020, 9:03 AM

I know that a game like that & against #1 team isn’t the best place to sub with a 2nd or 3rd stringer, but just wondering if many 2nd stringers got in ((know Venables Son did).

And, do you feel that subbing so much in the 4th Qtr possibly hurts the 1st team getting continuity (as it showed against a tough playing UNC squad)?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we subbed more than any team to build up backups, did we use many in Natty game?

Jan 18, 2020, 9:15 AM

No, I don't think it hurts at all. We were banged up. Tnet staff should put out a snap count sometime soon but I think it was more the scheme than anything. Scheme determined who played. Gutsy strategy on CBV part but the only one he could deploy and put us in best position to win.

3 plays from pulling off the miracle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we subbed more than any team to build up backups, did we use many in Natty game?

Dline rotated a fair amount but we ran 3 down most of the night so it was mostly the ends and a two man rotation at NG because Niles did not play. Turner and Johnson played most of the game with our scheme having 4 safeties on the field at the same time.

Ngata and Overton played some snaps when Tee and Amari got dinged up for a few plays.

The rotating of players to build depth is not limited to the current year. Turner and Johnson rotated into both regular season and playoff games last year as well. The fact they have played a lot of snaps gave Venables the confidence to put them out their a lot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i saw mascoll and henry in. so we had thomas xt rudolph and those 2 at de. williams played as did ruke. hard to sub much in secodary since they were all out there to start with

Jan 18, 2020, 9:25 AM

Just outta sheer disrespect, we should run a series against the coots with a 4 QB set.

Jan 18, 2020, 9:31 AM

I don't think that it hurt us in the UNC game. We started our last offensive drive with 12:34 on the clock and took it 55 yards for a TD. Yes, UNC matched it with an 8 minute drive, but it required two 4th down conversions, and our defense made the most important stop.

Jan 18, 2020, 10:53 AM

Two Nattys, four Natty appearances and five straight playoffs. I wouldn't change a thing.

Subbing a lot during the season also helps build the

Jan 18, 2020, 5:26 PM

"culture" that you guys are always talking about. Everyone works harder to "earn" playing time. This elevates the standard and creates camaraderie among the players.

Jan 18, 2020, 5:33 PM

I have a little different take on the game... I think most teams we faced over the last 5 years had a normal attrition of coaches...We did not... Then WE did...And maybe we could not make the adjustment that other Head Coaches had to make...Called "being human"... Even Dabo don't walk on water...No matter what some of you duedds think...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah. bill, we subbed everyone on the bench

Jan 18, 2020, 5:35 PM

Along with cheerleaders and the equipment manager. Sigh

Jan 18, 2020, 7:01 PM

Sorry LBB, but you're missing the point if you think playing subs a lot is just for the Natty game. No - it's for the next season, and the next season, etc. Plus, the subs become an integral part of the program and it's much easier for those subs to learn the system next year when they are possible starters. It's all about the future and doing what's right. Dabo says if you put in the work, then you get PT.

The Natty is just one game, and it does not define our program.

Jan 18, 2020, 7:12 PM

We're fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic