Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We will soon have to pick between life and any quality of life
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

We will soon have to pick between life and any quality of life

Mar 20, 2020, 6:09 PM

Even after only a week of this type of “shutdown” the United States quality of life is hanging on by a thread. What took almost 250 years to build could realistically fall apart very soon if this shutdown goes on much longer.

Restaurants and hospitality is a huge sector of the American economy responsible for over a trillion dollars a year in economic impact. Also when these workers aren’t able to pay their rent or mortgages, that will make 2008 look like child’s play.

My business is already feeling the heat. A business I put blood, sweat and tears in for 10 years, will not survive if this goes on for months.

I am hopeful that the steps taken will reduce the spread. But soon if we realize it is not doing so we will have to make a decision of whether we want to save lives or turn into a 3rd world country. It will fall apart quickly

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We will soon have to pick between life and any quality of life

Mar 20, 2020, 6:11 PM

I have been out almost every day to the bars and restaurants. Tonight is our last night with bars and restaurants for a few weeks.

Mar 20, 2020, 6:13 PM

In S.C. they shutdown bars and resins in restaurants earlier this week...

South Korea is the model, and we know it works.

Mar 20, 2020, 10:46 PM

They were able to get ahead early by comparison by testing and identifying those who had it, and isolating them and everybody they'd been in close contact with. Cases are already on the decline there. China took draconian measures, but no new cases the last couple of days. So we know that limiting exposure and contact works, and we know it's only temporary. The more we do now, as painful as it may be, the sooner this will be over and the less costly it will be in the long run.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

South Korea had their first case the same day as us

Mar 21, 2020, 1:01 AM

. Let that sink in.

Re: South Korea had their first case the same day as us

Mar 21, 2020, 1:05 AM

Correction:
First diagnosed case.

We can't confirm who had the first case as many don't know they have the virus due to mild to no symptoms.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we are not following the South Korean model

Mar 21, 2020, 4:56 AM [ in reply to South Korea is the model, and we know it works. ]

we only test very sick people and NBA players

Supposedly there were millions of tests available a couple weeks ago yet we are still only testing in the thousands

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we are not following the South Korean model

Mar 21, 2020, 8:02 AM

"we only test very sick people and NBA players" - Link? Sounds racist to me. I've been waiting until the whole virus thing was claimed to be against the Black race.

Prove me wrong with a link (but include only the links that include the Hollywood people and all of those celebrities that are "important" that have been tested).

Yes, I understand that, which is why I said they were able

Mar 21, 2020, 8:07 AM [ in reply to we are not following the South Korean model ]

to get ahead early by comparison; we got behind. Hopefully test kit availability and distribution will improve dramatically very quickly. Point is we know that taking action as quickly as possible has a big impact. Limiting unnecessary public interaction and quarantining will work if we just do it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: we are not following the South Korean model

Mar 21, 2020, 12:28 PM [ in reply to we are not following the South Korean model ]

Many people don’t go to the doctor everytime they feel ill, and since the symptoms are like the basic cold-flu for most people, a lot of cases will go undiagnosed.
I believe anyone with symptoms can request the test. I’m not aware of anyone in S.C. not being tested due to lack of test kits.

Mar 20, 2020, 11:21 PM

I hope things will turn around in time to keep your business afloat, and we all hope the economy doesn't completely tank.

But I would like to share another angle on the quality of life. On my way home Monday I saw several young couples out walking dogs, and half a dozen of my neighbors out playing with their kids. By mid week I was seeing 20-30 young families out with their kids and dogs in the late afternoons.

I'm really thankful to see families spending time together and hope the kids will remember how their parents played ball with them and watched them ride their bikes and scooters. I know other families that have started playing board games with their school age kids, also creating fun memories.

While the world has been a strange and frightening place this week, it has been amazing to see 21st century families actually spending time together the way families did a generation or two ago. Let's hope we can maintain some of that quality of life as people and the economy recover.

Mar 21, 2020, 5:02 AM

I don't have family near me. This sucks. Solo isolation sucks.

Mar 21, 2020, 1:31 AM

I was in the same position after 9/11. Don’t allow yourself to feel defeated, fight like h3ll and keep your head up At the time I thought it was the end of the world but adjusted my game plan to fit the new world and came back from the brink. You can get it done.

Mar 21, 2020, 8:06 AM

Being old, I have numerous friends that could use my help and for various reasons I cannot offer them the help that I would like to provide. Right now, just using social media and phone conversations to keep up with them. Of course, being retired helps me a little, but I still feel for my kids that must endure the problems that will face them in the coming months.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic