Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
...watched a few ND games on Youtube.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

...watched a few ND games on Youtube.....

Dec 16, 2018, 11:47 PM

..they look big and slow, like a typical Big 10 team: I think they are comparable to SC, but Bendly's a better QB than Booker...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I watched their entire season

Dec 17, 2018, 8:37 AM

You are right. They have a lot of size, but not a lot of breakaway speed. Their strength is their ability to move the chains. 81 is an Alshon Jeffrey type receiver. Big body, great catch radius, able to keep the chains moving on passing downs. Williams is an Adam Choice style RB. He will run hard and can beat you for some chunk plays, but not a real threat to break a long TD run. The TE reminds me of the kid from TAMU who gave us some fits. Our LBs are going to have to keep him in check.

Their biggest issue is red zone offense. They'll move the chains and eat some clock, but our run defense will be too much for them close to the endzone.

My biggest "concern" for this game is our quick-strike capability. ND simply can't match our team speed. We will need to get some three-and-outs to keep them from dominating TOP and challenging our depth on D. Their only chance of winning is if our scores come very quickly and theirs eat a lot of clock. Book is the kind of QB who can dink and dunk down the field. Williams can get some tough yards. We tend to be vulnerable to TEs finding space due to our constant pressure on D.

Now, what I think will happen is we'll put up around 42 and they'll be limited to FGs on three scoring opportunities, resulting in around 20 pts. We too deep/we too fast.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Agree with most of this

Dec 17, 2018, 8:43 AM

But ND has been good all year at limiting the big plays so I don’t know that is scoring too quickly is that much of a concern. But our team speed is going to be a problem for them. We just need our DB’s to play physical and turn their head around. The TE matchup will be big because Bama also has a good TE so if we can bottle up ND’s, it will give me a little more confidence going up against an explosive offense.

The Domers' D has been good, not great

Dec 17, 2018, 8:50 AM

They have a great LB and a great CB. Overall, they don't match up with our O very well due to their overall lack of speed. I think their D gets exposed.

A couple studs on D ain't enough to handle an offense that is as deep, talented and fast as Clemson. As Dabo said about O310 State, "These boys are in trouble."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I watched their entire season

Dec 17, 2018, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I watched their entire season ]

Watched them struggle w Ball ST and Vandy.

#10 over the middle
TE on a gazzillion diff PA looks.
And #8 on the swing pass out of the backfield are their most dangerous assets to me. If they are smart they will abondon everything else and focus on these like South Carolina just abondoned the run from the start.

And QB with an arm pretty much moved the ball very well against them so we’ll see. They will make you dink and dunk all the way down the field.

ETN should be good if they are consistently dropping 7 in quarters coverage.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wimbush is a KB clone

Dec 17, 2018, 9:40 AM

Their O has been much better with Book. He's more multidimensional, but not TL's level. Going to Book is like replacing KB with Chase Brice as the starter. Big improvement, but not as much as Trevor made.

Good analysis.***

Dec 17, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I watched their entire season ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube.....

Dec 17, 2018, 8:44 AM

ND barely beat Vandy (5 pts) and Pitt (5 pts) at HOME. Yes, they beat SU badly, but Dungey was knocked out of the game early in the 1st qtr, so that game does not show how lame their D is. CLEMSON will put up 50+ on ND, and there's no way on earth that ND will match that. CLEMSON wins by 30 even with playing our 2's and 3's and 4's.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:08 AM

ND barely beat Vandy (5 pts) and Pitt (5 pts) at HOME. Yes, they beat SU badly, but Dungey was knocked out of the game early in the 1st qtr, so that game does not show how lame their D is. CLEMSON will put up 50+ on ND, and there's no way on earth that ND will match that. CLEMSON wins by 30 even with playing our 2's and 3's and 4's.

Our defense gave up 7 points to Pitt, and that was on a 3 and out that got extended due to an offsides on their punt. Defense also gave up 10 to Michigan. If we get blown out it will be because our offense can't get going against Clemson's front, not because we give up 40 points.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:17 AM

Gipper, you need to re-watch the Pitt fiasco. ND could not stop Pitt from scoring, and only because Pitt missed 2 FG's did ND manage to salvage a win by 5 points at HOME. Geez dude, your glasses are too green (have you been SLIMED?).

Dec 17, 2018, 9:39 AM

Gipper, you need to re-watch the Pitt fiasco. ND could not stop Pitt from scoring, and only because Pitt missed 2 FG's did ND manage to salvage a win by 5 points at HOME. Geez dude, your glasses are too green (have you been SLIMED?).

The defense allowed 7 points on Pitt's opening drive, which was stopped on Pitts side of the field before a defensive offsides on the punt. Pitt scored their remaining 7 points on a kickoff return for a touchdown.

Also, someone above said Dexter Williams is not a threat for a long TD. This season (he missed first four games) he has TD runs of 97, 58, 52, 45, 32, and 31.

I ain't skeered

Dec 17, 2018, 9:43 AM

Williams won't be scoring from 97 on our D

Dec 17, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube..... ]

Ball St put up 349 yds, 24 1st downs, and 34 min. TOP and

Out rushed ND 169-117 as a 34 point underdog.

Ran 97 plays.

10 TFL and 4 Sacks Vs. ND OLine which we are supposed to believe is Elite.

Ball State finished 4-8.

If you don’t realize Clemson can easily 1.5X-2X those #’s I don’t know how to explain it to you.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 11:56 AM

dchinners said:

Ball St put up 349 yds, 24 1st downs, and 34 min. TOP and

Out rushed ND 169-117 as a 34 point underdog.

Ran 97 plays.

10 TFL and 4 Sacks Vs. ND OLine which we are supposed to believe is Elite.

Ball State finished 4-8.

If you don’t realize Clemson can easily 1.5X-2X those #’s I don’t know how to explain it to you.

Kelly switched to Book based on that game and the Vanderbilt game. Also, our offensive line is not as good as it was last year. IF we have a weakness it is our offensive line in spots, similar to what you goes have. The two teams are a lot more similar than people realize, with Clemson having edges at skill players and defensive line (ours is no joke though, and ND having an edge in the secondary.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:00 PM

You have one CB who would start at Clemson.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube..... ]

Williams is a dang good back no doubt. Some on here won't recognize other teams talent. ND is very solid all around and will be a tough out for us. Book will have to beat us with his arm tho as we have one of the best rushing Ds in the nation. I don't think any D can stop our O if we do not stop ourselves. Good luck though. Hopefully it will be a great game. I cannot wait.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube..... ]

Gipper, if the ND defense doesn't give up the blow out score who will? Do you think, the Tigers are going to have a couple pick 6s and special team scores? I know you're worried about the ND defense getting worn down because the ND offense cant move the ball. Championship teams have depth. Don't be surprised when 8 to 10 different offensive linemen have been pounding your D line before the second quarter is halfway over. No matter the score, when the Clemson offensive play total gets up to 50+, your D line will be worn out and the race is on.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 9:50 AM

saddis56 said:

Gipper, if the ND defense doesn't give up the blow out score who will? Do you think, the Tigers are going to have a couple pick 6s and special team scores? I know you're worried about the ND defense getting worn down because the ND offense cant move the ball. Championship teams have depth. Don't be surprised when 8 to 10 different offensive linemen have been pounding your D line before the second quarter is halfway over. No matter the score, when the Clemson offensive play total gets up to 50+, your D line will be worn out and the race is on.

Any team that has tried to go uptempo on us has not finished the game with their star QB/RB. I think IF it is a blowout, it will look more like 31-10.

Dec 17, 2018, 10:09 AM

Are you saying Notre Dame intentionally takes out players if the opposing team is running a fast paced offense?

Dec 17, 2018, 10:18 AM

TigersO said:

Are you saying Notre Dame intentionally takes out players if the opposing team is running a fast paced offense?

Absolutely not. We are a clean, hard hitting team and those hits add up. We have not had a defense that hits and tackles near as well as this one. To my knowledge, Shea Patterson, Bryce Love, the Wake quarterback, and Dungey were all fine to compete in their next game or couple of games.

My friend wanted to tease the Syracuse game up to Cuse and 22 points, but stayed off of it when I told him Dungey would not finish the game.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:22 AM

How many times did the Tigers sack or hit opposing QBs this year? It works both ways! A couple D Linemen hitting Book (clean of course) like they can and then you'll become pretty much one dimensional with Winbush. That would be the end of it. You don't understand, this is not the same kind of football as it was even in 2015 (fyi, it was raining on both teams). The last time ND was close to a big championship game was 2012 and what happened then? It was a massacre by Bama. Looking at recruiting, one top 10 class in the last 5 to 7 years for ND. The lowest ranking for Clemson was when they could only sign 14 or 15 and the rest of the time inside the top 10 or right on the edge. Even then, the star average was higher than the #1 team. If ND really wants to become a contender, they need to recruit better and schedule games against others besides the B10 or P12 (I know you're obligated to play ACC schools) but maybe ND should schedule some SEC schools besides Vandy. Clemson is among the elite. Prove me and the Tiger fans wrong and I know I'll tell you good game.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:38 AM

saddis56 said:

How many times did the Tigers sack or hit opposing QBs this year? It works both ways! A couple D Linemen hitting Book (clean of course) like they can and then you'll become pretty much one dimensional with Winbush. That would be the end of it. You don't understand, this is not the same kind of football as it was even in 2015 (fyi, it was raining on both teams). The last time ND was close to a big championship game was 2012 and what happened then? It was a massacre by Bama. Looking at recruiting, one top 10 class in the last 5 to 7 years for ND. The lowest ranking for Clemson was when they could only sign 14 or 15 and the rest of the time inside the top 10 or right on the edge. Even then, the star average was higher than the #1 team. If ND really wants to become a contender, they need to recruit better and schedule games against others besides the B10 or P12 (I know you're obligated to play ACC schools) but maybe ND should schedule some SEC schools besides Vandy. Clemson is among the elite. Prove me and the Tiger fans wrong and I know I'll tell you good game.

All very good points. I don't think we will hang Book out to dry on many designed keepers, although the Clemson DL is terrifying and obviously I've considered the fact that wimbush may be called upon.

Will concede most of what you are saying EXCEPT for the scheduling aspect. We play at Georgia, Michigan and Stanford next year. We have games scheduled with Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Alabama. We host you guys the year after next. We play SC yearly. I'm not sure what people expect from us, but our schedule had 5 preseason top 20 teams and another three or four that were rated at some point. Difficult to predict 3-4 years in advance, let alone mid season, that teams may fall out of rankings, but we try to schedule as competitive if a slate as possible on a yearly basis.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:40 AM

I agree that scheduling is not a problem for Notre Dame.

It is not Notre Dame's fault any more than it is Clemson's fault that several teams in their schedules fell on their faces this year.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube..... ]

I don't keep up with NDs future scheduling. 9 - 3 will be a good year for ND in 2019. Glad to see Georgia besides Vandy or Arkansas on the schedule.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube..... ]

So you're premise is that Notre Dame hits so much harder than all of the other teams we have played this season that our players won't be able to handle it?

I don't expect Clemson to change the pace in which we have played. We run at a pretty quick pace in all games until we stretch the lead.

What does Notre Dame do to knock out the only chance that the opposing team has at winning in every game that is expected to be close?

That is a pretty interesting list of injuries that you have put together this season. Do you think that you would have lost any of those games without the injuries to those players? Seems like a very small chance of success to hope that an opposing player gets hurt in your close games if you are actually playing clean.

Do you expect Trevor Lawrence to finish the Cotton Bowl?

Dec 17, 2018, 11:43 AM

TigersO said:

So you're premise is that Notre Dame hits so much harder than all of the other teams we have played this season that our players won't be able to handle it?

I don't expect Clemson to change the pace in which we have played. We run at a pretty quick pace in all games until we stretch the lead.

What does Notre Dame do to knock out the only chance that the opposing team has at winning in every game that is expected to be close?

That is a pretty interesting list of injuries that you have put together this season. Do you think that you would have lost any of those games without the injuries to those players? Seems like a very small chance of success to hope that an opposing player gets hurt in your close games if you are actually playing clean.

Do you expect Trevor Lawrence to finish the Cotton Bowl?

I am saying I would not have Trevor Lawrence running as many keepers as I've seen people suggest on here. I am also saying that Clemson has not played a defense like ours. That point is ignored. "Notre Dame has only played a good defense in Michigan, who got exposed." Self-reflection is ignored.

I am NOT saying we will shut Clemson down, but 24-35 points is the range I would expect. Will ND score 28 and hold Clemson to the lower end of that range? We will find out I guess is the answer.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:52 AM

I have no clue what the final score will be. I have not watched Notre Dame play enough this year to make an informed guess.

I was curious to ask questions about the players not finishing the game take though.

I'm not sure what Clemson will plan as far as Lawrence running the ball. I do know that if he does get carries that it will likely be on a play in which he reads instead of a designed run. I think that most of the time this technique of play-calling avoids tons of hits being put on the QB. He typically only carries when a first down is needed or when the defense collapses on the RB. Also he usually has the option to throw on those plays as well, so keying the RB to force QB run is not always successful in getting to put hits on the QB.

It will be interesting to see how both teams play that aspect of the game.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:01 PM

TigersO said:

I have no clue what the final score will be. I have not watched Notre Dame play enough this year to make an informed guess.

I was curious to ask questions about the players not finishing the game take though.

I'm not sure what Clemson will plan as far as Lawrence running the ball. I do know that if he does get carries that it will likely be on a play in which he reads instead of a designed run. I think that most of the time this technique of play-calling avoids tons of hits being put on the QB. He typically only carries when a first down is needed or when the defense collapses on the RB. Also he usually has the option to throw on those plays as well, so keying the RB to force QB run is not always successful in getting to put hits on the QB.

It will be interesting to see how both teams play that aspect of the game.

Thanks for the civil discourse and information. Hopefully I've at least added something here. Between the talking heads on ESPN and the coach speak in media days, this is probably the best way to obtain information/break down the game.

Dec 17, 2018, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: ...watched a few ND games on Youtube..... ]

knocked out on the 4th offensive play for SU, I believe.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The keys to ND actually winning .....

Dec 17, 2018, 10:25 AM

Besides scoring more points ..... ND really, really, really needed to be playing us in the Orange Bowl, and hoping for bad weather. The fact we play this game in a Dome is a nightmare for ND. Our speed will be on full display this game, and will be a huge advantage for us. No weather or wind to contend with.

ND will need us to turn the ball over 3 or 4 times. For that reason, they will be trying to strip the ball every time they get the chance. If we hold onto it, game over.

Lastly, they need the refs to ignore offensive holding. This one seems pretty sure to happen, as it has been the case all year. However, a holding call on ND's offense is almost sure to cause a punting situation. They have a hard enough time going 10 yards in 3 plays, much less 20.

Clemson will come out fired up and ready top go in this one. After ND's first drive, look for Venables to create the adjustments needed to stop them. I predict a 44-13 final.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:25 AM

ND is going to be sharp at the short to mid range passing game.

They game plan will be to exploit the passing game to get small chunks consistently. 5-15 yard plays of quick passes. No real breakaway runs or wide open down the field passing touchdowns. Just consistent passes that go one or 2 plays for a first down. The type of passing attack that gets REALLY frustrating after a while because its just a quick, consistent pecking away at the defense until they are in the red zone. Much like Carolina.

Need to have our DB's sharp and our DLine needs to break through their OL and hit their QB early and often. Force them to run or throw it deep.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic