Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPNU Experts feel UGA running game will be the difference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

ESPNU Experts feel UGA running game will be the difference

Aug 27, 2013, 8:31 PM

Clemson has no Ellington or any running back to match Gurley and Marshall. They also said Murray will get to throw when he wants to throw and Boyd will be throwing because he has to throw and that will make a big difference in success.

THey just didn't seem to give us a chance and I undertand that we lost Ellington and our Tight End position is nothing like what it has been.

I was watching a show just last night and the one guy picked Clemson with a 60% chance to win and the other picked Clemson 80% chance. But tonight on this show they were saying one of these defenses will give way and it will likely be Clemson's because of the pounding of the UGA running attack and though the Clemson front seven is strong, the secondary is really a question mark.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPNU Experts feel UGA running game will be the difference

Aug 27, 2013, 8:32 PM

OK, but the same could be said about our receivers vs. their DB's.

It's a draw. Difference will be turnovers and special teams.

Like the old days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

what worries me the most about georgia's offense is their

Aug 27, 2013, 8:40 PM

use of the backs & tes.

25% of murray's completions last year went to gurley, marshall, lynch & rome. all of those guys are back, a year older.

georgia uses the entire field, they don't seem to have a weakness on offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be up to our defense to mess that up for them.

Aug 27, 2013, 8:41 PM

The question is, will they be able to do just that?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

zett's dead baby, zett's dead...

Aug 27, 2013, 8:44 PM

;)

definitely zett; what a great test out of the gate.

bv 2016 if he pulls this off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's that keen insight that I

Aug 27, 2013, 8:45 PM

don't posses.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

That means the D line MUST without fault pressure Murray....

Aug 27, 2013, 8:45 PM [ in reply to what worries me the most about georgia's offense is their ]

..as much as possible. Give him as few chances as possible to make good choices. Keep him scrambling and taking the quickest option. More errors.

Re: That means the D line MUST without fault pressure Murray....

Aug 27, 2013, 8:48 PM

Going to be very hard that o-line is too notch and got better now that the NCAA is allowing Kolton Houston to play

But it can be done.....the ranked teams UGA played last year

Aug 27, 2013, 9:44 PM

prove that. Didn't FL force three interceptions? I know SCar really pinned the offense down.

Re: But it can be done.....the ranked teams UGA played last year

Aug 27, 2013, 9:46 PM

But you don't have a Florida defense or a USCe defense.

That'll be proven on Saturday as true or false***

Aug 27, 2013, 10:10 PM

Clemson D has more experience, even if not a lot

Aug 27, 2013, 8:43 PM

And it will be much easier for Boyd and squad to use tempo to cause mistakes with a younger UGA D. I think it could only be bias or favoritism to suggest Clemson D will bend first or more than UGA.

The point about offense may be valid. But since when did a side by side comparison of runners and receivers make a win obvious? The opposing defense is key whenever you have play makers. And both teams have big offensive play makers. Both teams may find it nearly impossible to stop the other's push down field by much. Expect long yards and high scores.

it all depends on who gets more pressure, imo

Aug 27, 2013, 8:59 PM

that, and maybe whoever does a better job slowing down the run.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2013, 8:43 PM

If Georgia controls the running game Clemson will lose. Also they guy who put Clemson at 80% played for Georgia Tech

I basically agree...

Aug 27, 2013, 9:08 PM

but do you think UGa will control the running game? After the way you were steamrolled against multiple teams last year, even with so many guys who headed to the NFL, can you expect UGa to stop a Clemson rushing attack led by an OL that blocked for more rushing yards than even mighty UGa had last year?

This is definitely a key to the game, but the only thing that doesn't give Clemson a decided advantage here is the proven quality of Gurley and Marshall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

upon closer examination, Clemson is the more complete team

Aug 27, 2013, 8:52 PM

Now, that doesn't mean Clemson matches up perfectly well with Georgia, but I think these guys are just enamored of the ESPN/ SEC narrative about everyone being bigger and badder in the SEC and aren't really doing their homework on the UGA and Clemson defenses or on Clemson's offense. Do they realize that Clemson rushed for more yards/ game than UGA last year? Do they realize how much UGa struggled against the run at times? Do the know how experienced Clemson's front seven is, or how much more experience Clemson returns in the secondary than UGa does? Have they looked at how much McDowell has actually played, and at his high yard/ carry average?

They just seem to think that because UGa is good on offense, they'll be able to do whatever they want while their defense, which looks weaker than Clemson's on paper, is somehow going to do better against an offense that outperformed UGa's last season.

Re: upon closer examination, Clemson is the more complete team

Aug 27, 2013, 9:10 PM

Probably because Georgia's backfield consists of two Heisman winners and Gurely as a true freshmen put up 100 plus on Florida and Bama's defense.

which years did Gurley and Marshall win the Heisman?***

Aug 27, 2013, 9:28 PM

SEC association through Johnny Football and Cam Newton.***

Aug 27, 2013, 9:30 PM

Re: which years did Gurley and Marshall win the Heisman?***

Aug 27, 2013, 9:45 PM [ in reply to which years did Gurley and Marshall win the Heisman?*** ]

#### meant contenders. Phone sucks. Murray and Gurley are both Heisman contenders this season. Which is probably why ESPN is so high on our offense. Also Marshall is a top 10 back

Siri is confused by your logic and stats

Aug 27, 2013, 10:03 PM

that's why your phone sucks

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: which years did Gurley and Marshall win the Heisman?***

Aug 28, 2013, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: which years did Gurley and Marshall win the Heisman?*** ]

Is dawg rising 11 or 12?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our OL will have to get the job done - has to .....

Aug 27, 2013, 8:53 PM

give TB time to throw accurately and also to establish some kind of running game - if the OL has trouble we'll be in trouble.

I'm more worried about them run blocking

Aug 27, 2013, 9:02 PM

Not because their pass blocking isn't important, but because I'm pretty confident that they'll block for the pass adequately because UGa's d- line isn't built for the pass rush. You have to stop their big LBs (who are basically d- lineman) from getting to the QB, but I'm thinking Morris has got something drawn up to attack them when they rush.

We were very good at run blocking last year while UGa was mediocre at stopping the run. With a bunch of big guys around the line of scrimmage, you would think UGa would do a better job stopping the run. So I'll be anxious to see how much push we get, especially with their noseguard being under 300 lbs.

Aug 27, 2013, 9:11 PM

Nearly every single "expert" picked LSU to defeat Clemson in the Chik fil A bowl. That includes the talking heads from ESPN, CBSSports.com and everywhere else.

Only one that I remember, some espn.com writer, picked CU

How'd that work out for them?

There's simply no way they can adjust for the atmosphere Saturday night and I'll be there to do my part.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their Run Game is Only Useful If They Can Stop CU Passing

Aug 27, 2013, 9:14 PM

Game. If UGA does not get up 14 or more and keep scoring, Clemson is a threat right up until the last second on the clock. Clemson has no problem playing from behind and has no problem sticking with high power offense even when ahead. My sense is this one comes down to momentum and turnovers. That being said I would much rather play UGA now then late in the year when their secondary has time to gel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

45-34

Aug 27, 2013, 9:39 PM

The end! Just hate to see them score the 2 late TD's

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like the spread tho maybe a little high. 2 TDs late, classic***

Aug 27, 2013, 10:06 PM

The same formula works for both teams. If there is no

Aug 27, 2013, 10:15 PM

running game, and all passing, then who has the advantage? If a team can establish the running game, then whose passing game is more dangerous because of how successfully the running game has loosened things up? These are questions I don't have the answer to.

Re: The same formula works for both teams. If there is no

Aug 28, 2013, 8:49 AM

IMO, if both teams can run the ball successfully then BOTH teams passing games become that much more dangerous. UGA loves to run the ball and bring the defense in and then hit them with play action deep down field.

I think the perception is that UGA and CU's defense was both young in the secondary and neither (at this point) as the decided advantage on defense.

However, UGA has the decided advantage in the running game with Gurley/Marshall, our entire 2 deep on the OLine returning, a 260lb+ FB, and 2 great blocking TEs.

IF CU is able to stop our running game then everything changes. However, considering teams like UF and Bama couldnt do it last year and everyone is a year older, I like our chances with being able to run the ball successfully.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic