Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney: Mistakes mean Tigers "not a good team"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Oct 3, 2010, 7:05 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said during his Sunday teleconference with the media that mistakes are hurting the team right. The good news: the mistakes are mental, not physical, and are correctable. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dood, Two weeks to prepare and this is what is what we get??

Oct 3, 2010, 8:27 PM

Goat Boy? This was the most pathetic play I have NEVER seen in my 30 plus years!!

My biggest problem was with 32 sec's in the first hal and

Oct 3, 2010, 8:29 PM

throwing the ball at your own 20 down 6. You havn't completed crap the whole half and you give them a free touchdown that cost us the game. That is BAD BAD coaching. PERIOD. That just looked like and young clueless coach to me.

Re: My biggest problem was with 32 sec's in the first hal and

Oct 4, 2010, 7:44 AM

I am amazed, constantly amazed, at the nasty comments sent in by alleged supporters. I'm a 1980 grad and my son is a Freshman at CU right now....if you don't like the Tigers please send me your season tickets. My son could not get a ticket without skipping class and camping out all night, so While you whine, I'll send him your seaon tickets!
staying with the Tigers thru thick and thin......

what does your son have to do with bad coaching?***

Oct 4, 2010, 10:25 AM

Re: what does your son have to do with bad coaching?***

Oct 4, 2010, 11:04 AM

maybe if someone gives up their tickets my son could yell in the next play to help out with the bad coaching.....they say the best place to "call" a game is in the stands.
My guess is if we had made the 4th down play and won the game , Dabo would be a hero rather than a goat.......conversely no-one has offered their tickets up either.
here's hoping the players and coaches get it together from here on out.

Re: My biggest problem was with 32 sec's in the first hal and

Oct 4, 2010, 10:12 AM [ in reply to My biggest problem was with 32 sec's in the first hal and ]

I have to agree w/you. Foolish to hope for a miracle with 32 seconds left and no receptions for a WR in the half.
Another boyish mistake was not taking the points (or trying the field goal) and going for the first down. Of course that's 20/20 hindsight, but still unwise. Those three points would have been huge.

Re: Dood, Two weeks to prepare and this is what is what we get??

Oct 4, 2010, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Dood, Two weeks to prepare and this is what is what we get?? ]

I am surprised that no one is holding Coach Swinney fully responsible for this loss. Yes they played poorly but the last minute in the first half was the worst coaching I have seen. You are 6 points behind going into the half. Your quarterback and receivers are not playing well and you are on your own 20 yard line with one minute to play. You run out the clock, you do not throw the ball risking an interception which can result in the other team getting a field goal or a run in for a score which is exactly what happened. Instead of being one score behind at the half you are now two scores behind which is harder to overcome. I hold the coach fully responsible for the loss.

Actually, a 2-2 record

Oct 3, 2010, 8:34 PM

means we are not a good team. Especially considering the suckiness of our two wins. We have wasted the first 5 weeks of the season, including our bye week.

two very telling plays yesterday

Oct 3, 2010, 9:18 PM

we can't get it on fourth and one and they have third and about 5 and their back pushes most of our defense or 5 for their first down. Very telling about our toughness and skill level.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: two very telling plays yesterday

Oct 4, 2010, 12:15 AM

the telling part would be that on 4th and 1 you run outside on a team that has more speed than most in the country and not inside where you dominated all day. that showed the o-line how much confidence dabo has in them. and if dabo is blaming it all on the players he needs to look in the mirror cause it was a lot of coaching mistakes in that game. thats a TB move blaming everyone but yourself.

we ran a pitch out against the fastest defense we'll

Oct 4, 2010, 12:29 AM [ in reply to two very telling plays yesterday ]

see all year, and they ran it up the gut. There's the difference right there: coaching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can somebody explain why Miami didn't lose down on holding?

Oct 4, 2010, 2:50 AM

I don’t understand something. On Miami’s first TD drive they had the ball on the Clemson 8 yard line, 2nd-and-1. They ran around the left side for a TD but it was called back because Hankerson held Gilchrist at the 5-yard-line. That’s a 10-yard penalty, so they move the ball back to the Clemson 15-yard-line, for a 2nd-and-7. I get the 10-yard penalty from the spot of the foul, but I don’t understand why that’s not a loss of down since the holding occurred downfield. (For example, if Miami had 2nd and 20 and they ran a play for 20 yards but there was holding 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, Miami wouldn’t be penalized 10 yards from the spot of the foul resulting in a net 5 yard gain, and still get to replay the down, right? It would be a loss of down wouldn’t it?)

On the replay of 2nd down Clemson got a sack, so Miami had a 3rd-and-14, from the 22 yard line. And then Miami passed for a TD. But if the penalty had been a loss of down, then Miami would have kicked a field goal on 4th-and-14 from the 22.

Shouldn’t that holding penalty have been a loss of down since it happened past the line of scrimmage?

No, holding is not loss of down -- even if past the LOS***

Oct 4, 2010, 3:11 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

So you could have a net gain on the play & replay the down??***

Oct 4, 2010, 11:00 AM

No. In that case,

Oct 4, 2010, 11:06 AM

I think the penalty is assessed from the original LOS

Anybody actually know for certain?***

Oct 4, 2010, 11:55 AM

Re: Anybody actually know for certain?***

Oct 4, 2010, 8:29 PM

Offensive Holding penalty (10 yds) is enforced at the following spots on a running play...
- at the previous spot if the hold occurs behind the neutral zone
- at the spot of the foul if the hold occurs beyond the neutral zone but behind the end of the run
- at the end of the run if the hold occurs beyond the end of the run
- if the hold occurs in the offensive team's end zone the result is a safety

Holding never results in loss of down.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/DownloadPublication.aspx?download=FR09.pdf

Thanks. But offense could have a net gain AND replay down?

Oct 5, 2010, 12:05 PM

I read through the rules before posting my question. Bbut it just doesn't make sense to me that a team could run a play on say, 2nd-and-25, get called for holding 20 yards downfield on a 20 yard run, get a 10-yard spot enforcement penalty that results in a net gain of 10-yards, AND STILL replay the down.

Re: Swinney: Mistakes mean Tigers "not a good team"

Oct 4, 2010, 1:25 PM

It was a very painful game to watch. I could not believe how many stoppages of play there were. The game took forever. Our guys on both sides of the ball had a very hard time feeling the tempo of the game.

I get what most of you guys are saying about the coaching issues, but at the end of the day Dabo can't go catch the balls that hit the WR's in the hands. He's also not the the ball carrier who let UM's defense knock the ball out. I didn't see a fumble that wasn't caused by UM's defense. The WR's and ball carriers of all types have to execute. That's not coaching. Take away half the turnovers and execute on some big plays and we win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic