Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
poor recruiting is killing us....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

poor recruiting is killing us....

Feb 15, 2015, 6:46 PM

I'm a South Florida guy with a 16 year old HS baseball player. We have hit all major showcase tournaments throughout Florida and Georgia over the last two years; Perfect Game, Under Armor, Prospect Wire; and gone to numerous individual showcase camps by Head First, Show Ball, PG and UA. Guess what? Clemson is never at any of them, but most ACC and SEC schools are. I have a strong feeling this is a big part of our decline. Dabs has shown us that aggressive recruiting is essential. So along with staff moral issues, Pep being a flat out odd ball(I have heard)and Jack being in full denial mode 24/7 we are truly doomed...DRad please start looking now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: poor recruiting is killing us....

Feb 15, 2015, 7:33 PM

That's a shame to learn. A different strategy, a different approach, something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THAT WASN'T THE CASE WHEN JACK STARTED***

Feb 15, 2015, 8:46 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2015, 9:10 PM

I'm sure recruiting is one issue however, there has been some really good talent destroyed by poor coaching. Example: when a really good pitcher is brought in and immediately you change his natural arm slot and then he can't throw it through double barn doors, that is poor coaching. You bring in a kid who was a very good hitter at the highest level of high school baseball and his swing changes to one that is very erect and has no power and his batting average stays around .100, that's poor coaching.

Both examples happened last season and remains the same so far this year.

Feb 16, 2015, 12:53 AM

Well to waste time on players you pretty much know are going pro is stupid. Why do this year after year after year?

Feb 16, 2015, 1:03 AM

Nobody knows. Stats show it pays off in the long run to not sign a pro contract out of HS if you want to make the bigs. But if you get big money it's tough.

Re: They feel no pressure. Kind of like Spurrier at USCjr.

Feb 15, 2015, 9:45 PM

They have that they won't run me off attitude.

Re: They feel no pressure. Kind of like Spurrier at USCjr.

Feb 16, 2015, 5:18 PM

and why would they think any different????????????? we have sat by for the last 10 years of steady decline and done nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it is like the admin and BOT simply do not care

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2015, 11:52 PM

You are absolutely wrong! Lecroy is at every major perfect game tournament and he is usually the first one at the field and the last one to leave. He is a tireless recruiter, and he has done a great job recruiting for us. The MLB draft makes it very difficult...3 years in a row we lost our top recruits in the first round of the draft...Michael Chavis was the latest. Chavis did not emerge as a round 1 prospect until a year after he committed. The reason you might not have seen Lecroy at the tournaments could be your son is not as good as you think, and he doesn't come watch his team play!

Feb 16, 2015, 12:08 AM

We have enough talent, not like Vandy or UF but enough. The system or the process is what's broken.

Feb 16, 2015, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: poor recruiting is killing us.... ]

88, My observation has nothing to do with my kid so don't drag him into your defense of Jack's recruiting effort. I always look for Clemson scouts at each venue; many with several games going on; including games with top ranked teams/players and I have never see one. I see plenty of SEC and other ACC schools there. The lack of representation is sad and what I see as a contributing factor in our programs decline.

Feb 16, 2015, 7:33 AM

Jack is in a bad spot due to basically coaching with Junior College / Middle School facilities. We are lucky to be able to recruit at all. I have heard he is forced to travel around the country in a 1973 Ford Pinto because the athletic dept wont buy him anything else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You sure it is a 1973 Pinto? I thought it was this ...***

Feb 16, 2015, 8:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: You sure it is a 1973 Pinto? I thought it was this ...***

Feb 16, 2015, 8:45 AM

those flames are pretty awesome.

null

Re: You sure it is a 1973 Pinto? I thought it was this ...***

Feb 16, 2015, 8:55 AM [ in reply to You sure it is a 1973 Pinto? I thought it was this ...*** ]

photo waynesworld_zpsce4af0d7.gif

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

to sdisher and Clembaseballfan88

Feb 16, 2015, 8:45 AM

I know exactly where you are coming from....My son is a junior, 6'5" nationally ranked LHP hovering around 90 MPH and LeCroy has seen him numerous times (He is at all of the Perfect game and ECB events BTW)....While Lecroy has been in contact several times with my son, no offer has ever been made, while Clemson has offered in state UNRANKED kids. I did not go to Clemson, am a huge fan (father, brother went there) and my son would have loved to go there. Finally, my son committed to an SEC school in November.

It is not that Clemson does not want to recruit the best (they do) but it seems like their method is MUCH different than other schools. While my son has been in CONSTANT contact through the recruiting process with UVA, Vandy, Miami, Stanford, Winthrop, Georgia, Oklahoma St, etc, Clemson has not shown the same interest for whatever reason. While I do NOT have sour grapes, it is puzzeling.

And for the record, his offer is 75% of $41,000 out of state to the SEC school, which has me very blessed financially!

Best of luck to your son.***

Feb 16, 2015, 8:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: to sdisher and Clembaseballfan88

Feb 16, 2015, 10:13 AM [ in reply to to sdisher and Clembaseballfan88 ]

TK, Great observation. All the best to your son.

So at Clemson he could have a 100% scholly for the

Feb 16, 2015, 10:47 AM [ in reply to to sdisher and Clembaseballfan88 ]

same financial obligation or give a 67% scholly to your son for you to be out the same money (10k a year)...none of the baseball scholarship finances make any sense.

Feb 16, 2015, 5:04 PM [ in reply to to sdisher and Clembaseballfan88 ]

Lecroy was at all the events my son attended and watched him as much as possible. These guys cant be everywhere but i know he works hard and stays in touch with the kids. Clemson looked at his profile more than any other school and eventually offered and won the battle with Miss State/Bama, Auburn. WYU, UGA, GA State, Mercer and KSU to get his committment.I hope Jack makes it as my son hits campus in June as a 2015 signee. We are pulling for the Tigers all the way.

Feb 17, 2015, 1:21 PM

SHOVIET, you should have done your homework before committing. The program is trending down and needs to be fixed in a major way.... so it's going to be a rough few years...I don't see Jack leaving gracefully. I hope the turn around is swift and your boy enjoys his time at Clemson no matter where the program goes. Best of luck!

Feb 17, 2015, 1:35 PM

I read this board, blogs, in-state papers and other resources....i asked Jack about it in the recruiting meeting when my son was offered. I don't know what i expected to hear other than what i did. He expects to be around and win. When you don't win vs USC and you are not in the CWS it's not good and in Clemson, folks expect to be competing for a title Omaha. I am not dialed in on the coaching methodology etc but really liked the staff and what Pep shared in the meeting. My son wanted to attend Clemson and i let him decide. We will be there and i hope the same coaches are there too. Thanks for the feedback.

Feb 16, 2015, 9:05 AM

So basically Jack is our OBS, just lack of effort and doesn't care anymore. Its like he just says, go get me a group of a kids and I'll do my best to coach them up. I remember when we use to have some big boys in our lineup too...6'3-6'4 220+ pounders with pure power. Now it seems everyone we get looks fresh out of junior high. It just seems like a really small lineup. We have a few big pitchers, but not much in the lineup.

Feb 16, 2015, 9:09 AM

at least please have some semblance of a clue before you post something.

2015 Clemson Baseball Roster

Search:

#
Name
Pos.
Ht./Wt.
Class
Exp
Hometown
Major
43 Patrick Andrews RHP 6-4/240 Junior (RS) SQ Hilton Head Island, SC Mechanical Engineering
23 Charlie Barnes LHP 6-1/170 Freshman HS Sumter, SC Undeclared
42 Clay Bates RHP 6-0/190 Senior (RS) 3VL Rock Hill, SC Health Science
15 Glenn Batson 3B 6-2/205 Sophomore 1VL Greenville, SC Undeclared
37 Alex Bostic LHP 6-2/215 Sophomore 1VL Matthews, NC Undeclared
10 K.J. Bryant OF 5-11/190 Freshman HS Taylors, SC Undeclared
29 Jackson Campana INF 6-6/225 Junior 2VL Charlotte, NC Pre-Business
17 Paul Campbell RHP 6-0/190 Freshman HS Malden, MA Undeclared
6 Andrew Cox OF 6-0/215 Sophomore (RS) 1VL Belton, SC Com Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt.
44 Matthew Crownover LHP 6-0/210 Junior 2VL Ringgold, GA Communication Studies
9 Steven Duggar OF 6-2/195 Junior 2VL Moore, SC Com Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt.
33 Zack Erwin LHP 6-5/195 Junior 2VL Duluth, GA Undeclared
16 Alex Eubanks RHP 6-0/175 Freshman HS Moore, SC Undeclared
1 Maleeke Gibson OF 5-10/150 Junior 2VL Sumter, SC General Engineering
50 Mike Goren RHP 6-2/200 Freshman HS Westbury, NY Undeclared
46 Jack Huggins INF 6-0/160 Freshman HS Newberry, SC Undeclared
12 Robert Jolly C 5-9/195 Freshman HS Myrtle Beach, SC Undeclared
19 Brody Koerner RHP 6-2/200 Junior 2VL Concord, NC Pre-Business
36 Pat Krall LHP 6-5/205 Sophomore 1VL Downingtown, PA Undeclared
3 Tyler Krieger INF 6-1/170 Junior 2VL Johns Creek, GA Com Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt.
39 Jake Long RHP 6-0/190 Senior (RS) 1VL Anderson, SC Economics
48 Garrett Lovorn RHP 6-2/220 Sophomore (RS) 1VL Pendleton, SC Undeclared
20 Drew Moyer RHP 6-3/215 Sophomore 1VL Gilbert, SC Undeclared
25 Chris Okey C 5-11/195 Sophomore 1VL Mount Dora, FL Undeclared
5 Chase Pinder INF 5-10/175 Freshman HS Poquoson, VA Undeclared
21 Kevin Pohle RHP 6-3/200 Grad Student 3VL St. Louis, MO Visual Arts
11 Adam Renwick INF 6-0/170 Freshman HS Spartanburg, SC Undeclared
26 Reed Rohlman OF 6-0/210 Freshman (RS) RS Moore, SC Undeclared
32 Clate Schmidt RHP 6-1/205 Junior 2VL Acworth, GA Com Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt.
40 Kyle Schnell RHP 6-1/160 Senior 2VL Alpharetta, GA Pre-Business
47 Alex Schnell LHP 5-10/175 Freshman HS Milton, GA Undeclared
18 Tyler Slaton OF 5-8/200 Senior 3VL #######, GA Park & Prot. Area Mgmt.
22 Wales Toney RHP 6-2/215 Sophomore (RS) 1VL Anderson, SC Pre-Business
35 Mike Triller OF 6-1/220 Junior (RS) 2VL Rutland, VT Management
30 Hunter Van Horn LHP 6-2/180 Freshman HS Tampa, FL Undeclared
41 Taylor Vetzel RHP 6-0/155 Sophomore (RS) 2VL Simpsonville, SC Undeclared
13 Drew Wharton OF 6-2/190 Freshman HS Suwanee, GA Undeclared
4 Eli White INF 6-2/185 Sophomore 1VL Easley, SC Undeclared
8 Weston Wilson INF 6-3/195 Sophomore 1VL High Point, NC Undeclared

Feb 16, 2015, 11:11 AM

I did have a clue and looked at that before I posted and like I said in the post, the majority of the big guys are pitchers! And Campana is out with injury. Solid waste of time with your copy and paste tho...with your semblance of a clue...f'n stiff.

Feb 16, 2015, 11:17 AM

please tell me who is a small guy. slaton is 5-9 but he is put together solidly. eli is still skinny but has put on 20 lbs since last year. please tell me who all these small guys are. last i checked this aint sumo wrestling we are looking at.

An easier question would be, what's your idea of a big guy?

Feb 16, 2015, 5:13 PM

If none of those guys look like this...then something's wrong...

Re: An easier question would be, what's your idea of a big guy?

Feb 16, 2015, 10:46 PM

LOL the guy saying that Clemson is not at any of the big showcases is either lying or misinformed. I challenge anyone to look at the coaches travel log and the events they attended...LeCroy spends more time in a Holiday Inn than his own home...Pep also spends time on the road and they are at all the big events. Also, do you think every Clemson player came to Clemson because it was his only choice? No...these guys turned down other big names because they love Clemson and the atmosphere.

Did Shyatt or Purnell ever attend these camps? If so ...

Feb 17, 2015, 4:54 PM

... then I'd be worried.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic