Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
this will be an incredibly fascinating Spring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

this will be an incredibly fascinating Spring

Jan 30, 2017, 9:28 PM

There is so much we don't know about this upcoming 2017 Clemson team, particularly on offense.

We legitimately don't have any kind of real indicator who our starting QB is. Everybody who's busily dismissed Kelly Bryant probably shouldn't. The guy is a better athlete than Deshaun Watson was, and runs sub-4.5 to Watson's probably sub-4.8; Deshaun could scramble; Bryant can straight-up house it and if you're really paying attention his skillset is not terribly different than Lamar Jackson's was/is. No, he is not the pure thrower Deshaun was but when you're talking a truly elite athlete - and Bryant is - can you really count him out? If that light goes on, the dude's a no-kidding superstar. If it doesn't, there's redshirt frosh Zerrick Cooper waiting to pounce, and he's got a golden arm if not the athleticism Bryant has, and already-on-campus early enrollee Hunter Johnson may have the whole package. Who wins? You got me. But I will bring popcorn.

Who's our starting RB? Again, we've got three contenders and very little separation between any of them. CJ Fuller's probably the least-talented but has performed the best thus far and was a legit contributor during our National Title run down the stretch; in big games, Fuller delivered. Feaster's got CJ Spiller-type speed if he learns to see the creases and holes and actually run behind his pads instead of up his blocker's butt. Adam Choice was looking like a viable starter before he tore up his ACL; can he get that step he seemed to be lacking last year back? I dunno. So who wins? Again, you got me.

At WR, you figure it'd take an Act of Congress to get Renfrow out of the slot, but the 2-spot and 9-spot are open with Scott and Williams gone. You figure Ray Ray and Deon Cain will take those spots but it's not automatic, not with crazy-talented guys like Cornell Powell and Diondre Overton behind them. Trevion Thompson also does not wear jersey #1 because he's chopped liver and he'll push for time somewhere too.

TE? Also wide open. Leggett's gone and his heirs apparent caught 5 passes last year between them. Milan Richard surely looks the part and now is his time if he's going to take it. Shadell Bell is being groomed to be the next Brandon Ford and is similarly talented, and Cannon Smith is a big body that blocks well and catches decently, so there's going to be some fairly intense competition for that open TE slot. You figure Garrett Williams will keep his spot as the H-back; he's a crushing pure blocker.

C? Also: open. Justin Falcinelli is next up per the depth chart but Gage Cervanka has massive upside and could make a big-time push for that spot.

I dunno. Have we ever gone into Spring with this many positions this wide open, and with this many quality players all vying for those spots? There's literally 6 positions on the offense that are going to be doing full-on position battles. Between some very heavy-duty blue-chip guys.

Uptown problems, I know. But it's going to be a different sort of Spring to watch.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this will be an incredibly fascinating Spring

Jan 30, 2017, 9:37 PM

2013-2014 was very similar offensively. Like almost identical situation.

Jan 30, 2017, 9:44 PM

True. We were replacing Tajh Boyd, Hot Rod McDowell at RB, and Sammy and Martavis at WR. Leggett had played as a true frosh in 2013 and had 12 catches so we were a little ahead there, but we're definitely ahead of where we were at WR, too.

Still, I remember 2014 being very frustrating at times on offense. Which was a shame because our 2014 defense was as good as I remember ever being at Clemson and that includes Danny Ford's teams.

Hopefully our O adjusts on the fly quicker...and our D is just as good in 2017 as it was in 2014. (It is possible.) We definitely may need the D to win some games for us if the past is any indicator.

Save for the fact that our OL is at least 1.5x if not more

Jan 30, 2017, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: this will be an incredibly fascinating Spring ]

what it was just those few years ago, and still growing accordingly. The next QB will have it better than DW4 had his freshman season in that respect, which will be a big help early.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2017, 5:41 AM [ in reply to Re: this will be an incredibly fascinating Spring ]

We are in much better condition this year than we were back then.

Offensive line was a major concern. Especially, at UGA. We have more experienced depth at WR and RB.

Watson was hurt that spring and we only had Cole to lean on at QB, Nick had just arrived to where Bryant and Israel have been here going on there years. Cooper is in his second Spring and Johnson is healthy in his first Spring.

Also, we have more options at TE, as well. We basically only had Cooper there back then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2017, 9:41 PM

Gonna make me come to Tiger Town in April

Jan 30, 2017, 9:41 PM

The great thing about Dabo and this staff is that every position is up for grabs. They will play whoever is best. That's what was missing from the Clemson Tigers for so long, and we suffered because of it. Now, it might take a little convincing, but moves can be made if a guy really is better than a veteran. We see it a lot on this Team and the players know it. That's why we are a better program now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2017, 10:33 PM

this is not true. nat says that coach tells freshmen they will be redshirtting and they will not compete for a starting position. believe me, she's related in some form or fashion to gene stallings and bear bryant - so, she definitely knows the deal. crazy to make outlandish comments about the "best" player will play. that's just kooky talk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jan 31, 2017, 7:38 AM

Explain all the true Freshman starters we have had recently, then.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2017, 8:49 PM

I do not see how anybody can grumble about our getting the best players on the field. There was a time when that was the case, but it passed a good while back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2017, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: this will be an incredibly fascinating Spring ]

You are foolish, if you think a Hunter Renfrow or any number of others who were not big star athletes who have contributed in a huge way to our program cannot earn PT, and even a starting spot. Granted, the ones with all the stars get the first looks, because they are supposed to be the early contributors, but we have many who earn their way into prominent roles on these teams.

What is crazy is to make the outlandish and obviously untrue statements you just posted. Everybody on here know of several who have come in and made an early impact.

There are many who believe they should get early PT who just are not that ready. Maybe your friend fits that group. By the way, I was a player at Clemson, and I know that, even players who walk on, can get to stardom, sometimes. Just like some who are supposed to be great, fail miserably.

Whoosh

Jan 31, 2017, 9:52 PM

Right over the dang head

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Whoosh

Feb 1, 2017, 8:27 AM

Yep. Now that I re-read it, I guess that was a poke aimed at the other poster. My bad!

Thanks for the post. Some thoughts

Jan 30, 2017, 9:43 PM

Like your point about not counting out Kelly Bryant. Cam Newton wasn't known as much of a passer early in his career either. That said we do have some talent to work through at QB. How the coaches handle all of the personalities will be a big challenge. I have to believe someone will separate, who time will tell.

After QB, TE and C concern me most. We have talent, but again who will separate.

The biggest question I have is who will be our leaders on offense. Hyatt, Fuller maybe...... Who is going to fill that void? On defense I see Wilkins, Edmunds, Joseph, Carter as guys that will take the reigns.

Re: Thanks for the post. Some thoughts

Jan 31, 2017, 5:42 AM

Whoever wins the quarterback battle has to take the reins of leadership as far as the offense go. Hyatt is a quiet leader and leads by example. Much like Crowder.

Higgins and Rodgers have to come in to the fall prepared to fight. They have as much talent as the two guys who just left. I also see Chalk as player for the TE position.

Etienne could also push for reps, but Fuller/Feaster SHOULD be workhorses this year.

McDaniel is a good candidate to be one of the vocal leaders on defense. The thing that excites me about the LB position is Lamar and R. Smith. These two guys have the measurables, it's time to get on the field and produce.

One position I haven't heard much about here is punter. Who is it going to be? Speiers? I've even heard that Renfrow might actually be in the running for this position. Tisdale looked pretty good in the two playoff games after he adopted the rugby style kicks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for the post. Some thoughts

Jan 31, 2017, 5:42 AM

LOL It's early. O'Daniel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Kelly Bryant is awesome

Jan 30, 2017, 10:43 PM

But how can we possibly say he's got a skillet like Lamar Jackson?? Kelly looks like a good runner, but there's no way we've seen him throw enough, or run enough really, to say he's he's got a skillset like Lamar Jackson. That's a fun thought though. If true, then he has the starting spot locked up and there's no need to talk about anyone else.

Jan 30, 2017, 10:44 PM

I think Tee Higgins and Amari Rodgers avoid red shirts. Rodgers looks ready to play.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jan 30, 2017, 10:59 PM

I was wondering when someone might chime in about these two. I wish they were at Clemson this Spring....but I think they both could avoid redshirt too.

Jan 31, 2017, 2:03 AM

I feel the same way, but more power to them for,enjoying the rest of the high school journey. Would've been nice to get them in here in January though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know it's important for a QB to get in a game groove and

Jan 30, 2017, 11:06 PM

all, but I can't help but look at all the talent building up everywhere and not think that our staff couldn't run multiple sets of skill players in waves throughout games, or within drives.

One thing that really stood out this year was the offense's ability to get up to speed quickly in games and score early, a stated goal and an improvement over 2015 That's coaching, and it lends itself to trusting QB's to play up to the standard at any point. We saw Nicky Shoes come in for a hurt Watson on a drive early in a game (can't remember the game off hand) and finish out a TD drive from the 30 like it was nothing.

I would not put it past this staff to venture into new territory and push the envelope in this way, especially in a year like we have upcoming where we have a little less angst on the expectations side.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know it's important for a QB to get in a game groove and

Jan 31, 2017, 12:14 PM

Haha. That will never happen. This isn't hockey. There's a reason that's never been done before.

Post more***

Jan 30, 2017, 11:54 PM

Similar, but Very Different

Jan 31, 2017, 1:58 AM

Well, as you know we have had plenty of springs from the not too distant past with this many spots up for grabs, but one thing is certain. We have never had this much talent competing for it. People throw around the phrase "embarrassment of riches" a little too much, but for the most part it applies well here. And you did not mention (apart from HJ) several guys that may be good enough as freshmen to knock down the door and grab a spot.

The competitive atmosphere should make our guys better, but once Fall rolls around and it's time to turn on the lights, the screws will be tightened even more. There is a talented fire-breathing dragon that will behind you on the depth chart waiting for his chance. This spring is really gonna be something to keep a close eye on.

So, davidhood® Don't be slipping on those pre, during, post, post-post, and pre-pre the next day updates:)

And just think... Wednesday is Christmas!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. The key will be to see how well we do when we reload***

Jan 31, 2017, 7:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly Bryant will get his chance, but

Jan 31, 2017, 9:06 AM

but it Remains a mystery why he couldn't displace Schuessler in two years if he was going to be ready to replace Deshaun Watson at some point.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would like to read one of these about the defense....

Jan 31, 2017, 10:48 AM

If you have the opportunity....good stuff.

Hold the presses - if Deon Cain does not start

Jan 31, 2017, 9:05 PM

IMHO he is most talented returning cog on Offense ...

Deon will be as great as he chooses to be

Jan 31, 2017, 10:11 PM

He can be a beast

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Indeed it will be. The good thing is that Dabo

Feb 1, 2017, 1:23 AM

and the coaches will have it all figured out after the Kent State game, if not before.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic