Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did anyone else think Trump missed an opportunity to be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Did anyone else think Trump missed an opportunity to be

Mar 20, 2020, 2:28 PM

Presidential by attacking the reporter? That seemed like a softball of a question that he could have hit out of the park with a direct appeal to the camera about how we have faced challenges before and always come out stronger, we are going to beat this thing, rah-rah, etc.

####, Reagan, Clinton, Obama even both Bushes would have had people weeping and saluting after a softball like that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did anyone else think Trump missed an opportunity to be

Mar 20, 2020, 2:33 PM

Stock market doesn't seem to thrilled. Turned again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what was the softball question and reply?***

Mar 20, 2020, 2:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question 2 was easy. If it had been asked first, I think

Mar 20, 2020, 2:41 PM

He would have hit it over the fence. Problem was question 1 hit his fatal flaw and questioned him personally. He answered that pretty well but was so irked that question 2 could have been “tell us why you’re awesome” and he would have teed off on the guy.

I thought the initial question was stupid and useless....really need to cut the fluff questions out......but his response was worse.

There’s too much touchy feely crap in these pressers though. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Roosevelt wasn’t asked ad nauseam during pressers what he’d say to scared Americans and if his optimism was worrisome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, no, but FDR was on the radio

Mar 20, 2020, 2:47 PM

every week talking about all the good stuff the Gubmint was doing for folks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didnt see this, but the best way to deal with idiotic

Mar 20, 2020, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Question 2 was easy. If it had been asked first, I think ]

questions is to say, listen, We are trying to remediate a crisis for the entire country. We don't have time for intentionally divisive questions. Next

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"What would you say americans who are scared?"

Mar 20, 2020, 3:37 PM

is not a a divisive question.

"You are a terrible reporter" as the answer to that question is divisive though. But that's what and who this President is.

as I’ve already said, the “terrible reporter” answer

Mar 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

(Which I’m not defending) was residual carry-over from this question. “ Is it possible that your impulse to put a positive spin on things may be giving Americans a false sense of hope?” That was a useless question and a narrative-driver and had no more place in the conference than Trumps later useless response.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't put that in the same ballpark as Trump's response

Mar 20, 2020, 3:53 PM

and I'd worry about Trump's temperament if that question caused that type of reaction from Trump. It doesn't really speak well of him being able to handle the realities of the crisis if he can't handle his emotions off of a pretty basic question like that.

Dude’s trying to keep the country going.

Mar 20, 2020, 3:59 PM

Enlighten me as to the value of an American media member basically saying “can you justify why people who are currently hopeful aren’t really misled rubes falling for your schtick?”

It was a destructive question whose primary basis was the reporter’s own mind vs something the public was clamoring to be asked.

We seem to agree that Trump’s answer was completely poor and out of place, so do you agree with the question being asked in the first place or not? It seems intentionally disruptive to me.

It wasn't destructive, but...

Mar 20, 2020, 4:10 PM

I can see multiple ways to read the question.

One, I can see how it was implying that Trump's past behaviors regarding the initial response and the numerous occasions they've had to "clarify" his overstatement of things like having "tests for anyone that needs one" or "we have a vaccine soon" or "this will be gone soon" or "I have a hunch it's not that bad" could be misinforming people about the real danger we are facing.

two, it could simply be referencing the question of hope vs reality and how should the President ride that line?

three, Maybe it was meant to be destructive but I feel like you'd need to insert a ton of extra baggage to the question for that to make sense (like assuming it was calling people "rubes") and maybe you're right that in Trump's mind that's what he did. But his answer to the question was, “No, I don’t think so. It may work, it may not work. I feel good about. That’s all it is; it’s a feeling.” which doesn't seem to suggest he took it the way you did, but maybe he had to "think" on it a bit or have his emotions boil more. I don't know.

No matter the true reality of what was meant by the question, the reality of how Trump handled it was a much worse matter and I'm glad we can agree on that bit.

Eh, might be multiple ways to read it, but

Mar 20, 2020, 4:19 PM

I don’t see any of them being positive. I guess I’m old school. I don’t want the domestic media falsely cheerleading the public during a crisis like this, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable that I don’t want them sowing unnecessary negativity either. In my mind this question and the “Chinese virus - racist” questions really fail that admittedly arbitrary standard.

There are issues with the media for sure

Mar 20, 2020, 4:26 PM

I wish they'd ignore Trump's dangling the "china virus" thread as a distraction to stay on the message about what the Federal Government is doing to correct the mistakes they made early on in preparing for the pandemic and to hammer on issues like testing/ventilators/economy etc. but I don't think issues like that make up for just how poorly Trump is handling himself in these pressers. Why those around him aren't telling him to just stop and let the experts handle them from now on is a mystery. He only makes things worse.

I’m just looking for results and I’ve found that each update

Mar 20, 2020, 4:36 PM

Might have one or two nuggets in the first 5 minutes, then a lot of rehash.

Trump seems to have dialed back the personality flaws for these pressers. They still grate when they arise but they rear their head less than pre-corona interactions. I’ll take it I guess, and I’ve noticed him letting SME’s spend more time than he does at the podium, so I’m ok with it.

I just try to imagine an activist press Corp grilling past Presidents with questions like “SIR, WHAT DO YOU SAY TO OUR RACIST TROOPS WHO CALL THE GERMANS ‘KRAUTS’” or “ARE YOU JUST BEING OVERLY OPTIMISTIC AND WE HAVE A LOT MORE TO FEAR THAN FEAR ITSELF AND YOU’RE JUST MISLEADING PEOPLE?”

yeah, I disagree on him dialing back his flaws

Mar 20, 2020, 4:48 PM

to me, they appear worse but that's probably because of the seriousness of this crisis. I see an emotionally unwell president and that scares me.

So, agree to disagree. ;)

Re: Question 2 was easy. If it had been asked first, I think

Mar 20, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Question 2 was easy. If it had been asked first, I think ]

Well, Obed, Roosevelt was a real leader and he took his message of action and reassurance directly to the people in a series of fireside chats in which he explained exactly what his administration was doing & why. Then he asked the American people to do what he needed them to do to weather the storm.

I don't think it is a good idea to compare Trump to Roosevelt. They are not even in the same stratosphere.

Ahhh, so Trump should shut down the press conferences

Mar 20, 2020, 4:20 PM

And just do pre-packaged fluff pieces each night with only one-way communication?

Yeah, I bet you guys wouldn’t cry at all about that.

Trump has consistently attacked the media during his term

Mar 20, 2020, 2:47 PM

and while he's changed some of his behaviors to try and act more like an adult during this crisis, he still has consistently attacked the media in his press conferences.

they deserve it and a ton more.

Mar 20, 2020, 3:29 PM

With the way they have 3 yrs of 24/7 Trump bashing, they deserve everything they get.
And why is bashing the media off limits? They can dish but can't take it? Bunch of whiny little snowflakes.

With that said, during this crisis, he should just make them look small but saying he is too busy working a crisis to recognize their intentionally divisive questions.

A good example i can think of is when the chick asked Trump if he had taken a test.
BUT She didnt just say, have you taken the test, but she continued with, and aren't you selfish by not having taken it yet. That was interjecting personal instead of asking a question.
She could've just said, have you taken it and if not, are you going to take it.

Regardless, 99% are liberal doucheholes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From today...

Mar 20, 2020, 3:35 PM

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Which one looks like the "douchehole?"

Re: From today...

Mar 20, 2020, 3:39 PM

Trump did not handle that well. That was a fair question.

Trump apologists are bending over backwards to defend this

Mar 20, 2020, 3:55 PM [ in reply to From today... ]

kind of typical Trump behavior.

What a great question for Trump to hit out of the ball park. But, being totally unprepared, he went to his go to, knee jerk, this is who he is nastiness that so defines him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump apologists are bending over backwards to defend this

Mar 20, 2020, 4:15 PM

He has never shown any indication that he is willing to work hard enough to be prepared for any of this. He flies by the seat of his pants and that ain't going to work with this.

like Obed said, I'd liked to see the entire thing

Mar 20, 2020, 3:58 PM [ in reply to From today... ]

but regardless, he should be above them. But I understand his frustration with those doucebags. He keeps his cool pretty dang well imo after all the constant 24/7 #### he gets.

No he doesn't which is what you guys like about him.***

Mar 20, 2020, 4:11 PM

its funny that you can’t help but make this personal

Mar 20, 2020, 4:24 PM

And us-vs-them. In this very thread I’ve listed this as a “fatal flaw” of his and denounced his response, but all you see is it’s what “you guys like about him”. How is a reasonable guy like you so blinded by partisanship?

I was talking to cultists like Xtiger

Mar 20, 2020, 4:28 PM

I don't count you as a cultist.

How did I make this personal by saying xtiger and those like him like that Trump fights the media? C'mon, that's pretty weak coming from a, usually, reasonable guy like yourself.

you said “you guys”

Mar 20, 2020, 4:37 PM

He made the post and I was referenced in it. Seemed like a reasonable assumption. Sorry if wrong.

Ah, I see your point. I apologize.

Mar 20, 2020, 4:43 PM

But I was responding to what he specifically was talking about in his post which went much further than what you have said and so I didn't intend to include you in with his statement. I meant the "you guys" as those that believe like he does. I should have been clearer.

all good. I’m just extra sensitive and angry

Mar 20, 2020, 4:47 PM

Because I’m sitting through episode 1 with full Jar-jar and midichlorians BS.

understandable

Mar 20, 2020, 4:54 PM

;)

Darth Maul almost saves that movie, but...doesn't.

it is a good thing and well deserved. Not saying this

Mar 20, 2020, 4:42 PM [ in reply to I was talking to cultists like Xtiger ]

particular instance is, but overall, hell yes.

cultist, sure.

The 3 years of bashing is deserved. If he wasn’t a child leading a nation,

Mar 20, 2020, 4:11 PM [ in reply to they deserve it and a ton more. ]

he wouldn’t get that kind of treatment.

Re: they deserve it and a ton more.

Mar 20, 2020, 4:14 PM [ in reply to they deserve it and a ton more. ]

a bit defensive of your boy, eh ?

If you can't handle questions like an adult, maybe you shouldn't run for President.

Or If the press can't handle criticism, maybe they need

Mar 20, 2020, 4:21 PM

to get out of the business.

There’s legitimate, warranted criticism that should be given for

Mar 20, 2020, 4:39 PM

certain actions. And there’s a way to give that criticism like an adult. And then there’s just nonsensically attacking a reporter for asking a legitimate question. Trump takes everything personally because he’s a child and a snowflake, and lashes out because he has no self control.

never said anything about todays incident, did I?***

Mar 20, 2020, 4:44 PM

Haha ok***

Mar 20, 2020, 5:02 PM

Trump? Presidential? Good one.

Mar 20, 2020, 4:09 PM

He’s embarrassed himself daily for 3 years now, what makes you think he would start acting like an adult now?

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic