Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Clemson Will Punt on Gregg Marshall and Keep Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Why Clemson Will Punt on Gregg Marshall and Keep Brownell

Mar 12, 2017, 11:21 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/columnists/sapakoff-why-clemson-likely-will-punt-on-gregg-marshall-again/article_b916f5de-05d1-11e7-b748-c34ff9445a01.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Clemson Will Punt on Gregg Marshall and Keep Brownell

Mar 12, 2017, 11:35 AM

If we could get GM - then we should. 'nuff said though as it will not happen and complaining falls on deaf ears.

But - we own ACC Baseball and Football plus several other sports, so floundering at BBall is okay I guess.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"his 6 yr NCAA Tournament drought is the longest in 47 years

Mar 12, 2017, 12:01 PM

for a Clemson coach since Bobby Roberts had the job from 1963-70." Say what you will about the historic futility of Clemson basketball, but that is one damning statistic.

I don't know enough about Marshall to have an opinion, but I do know enough about Brownell to have one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "his 6 yr NCAA Tournament drought is the longest in 47 years

Mar 12, 2017, 12:19 PM

Drad would have to be insane to not at least ask Marshall. What hold does Brownell have over Drad other than the buyout?

Re: "his 6 yr NCAA Tournament drought is the longest in 47 years

Mar 12, 2017, 2:55 PM

^^^I'm thinking pictures of goats and ...

It is a lot harder to make the NCAA Tournament now

Mar 12, 2017, 3:28 PM [ in reply to "his 6 yr NCAA Tournament drought is the longest in 47 years ]

than at any point since the field expanded to 64 teams. This is due to there being so many good teams, both from the power conferences as well as the mid-major conferences.

In Clemson's situation, this is compounded by the fact that the ACC is the toughest conference. If we were in the SEC or most other conferences, I think we would be in the Dance this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 12, 2017, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Clemson Will Punt on Gregg Marshall and Keep Brownell ]

I've read that article. He makes sense. You have to find out if Marshall is interested. If he truly is interested in our job and would come,I'd fire Brownell so fast.

I agree, you get Gregg Marshall if you can.

Mar 12, 2017, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Clemson Will Punt on Gregg Marshall and Keep Brownell ]

I'm not sure Clemson is willing to go after him, and that is the problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Why Clemson Will Punt on Gregg Marshall& Keep Brownell-

Mar 12, 2017, 11:41 AM

rhymes w We too Deep but in this case we too cheap

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2017, 12:04 PM

Don't see him leaving Witchita St

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is zero chance Greg comes to Clemson

Mar 12, 2017, 12:06 PM

Why even write the article? We are not punting on anything.

Re: there is zero chance Greg comes to Clemson

Mar 12, 2017, 12:09 PM

I will agree but would love to get him. Watched a lot of Winthrop ball when he was there and he had some outstanding teams. They were very disciplined. Very well coached

Those teams were great to watch and it's a shame

Mar 12, 2017, 12:35 PM

that neither state school could have kept in SC.

If I remember right, there was some interest during the Shyatt years but GM had some anger issues or had burned some bridges???

I could be wrong on that but seems like we stayed away at the time.

I really don't see Marshall as an option

Mar 12, 2017, 12:10 PM

as I don't think he'd come. But Wade, Keats, Kelsey, and numerous other guys, yes. I think any of those guys would be a shot in the arm and all have strong pedigrees as assistants and have had success at mid majors.

That said, I think Keats winds up at State. Better job. We'd be competing against, right now, LSU, Missouri and Illinois. All better jobs with more history IMO. Wade still seems like the natural fit.

And ponder this, what if by chance we get passed over for the NIT?

Re: I really don't see Marshall as an option

Mar 12, 2017, 12:22 PM

I like your thinking. A program being led by a stagnant coach and apathetic ad is not a growing program. Given the division among the fans, I wonder how much interest will be among the fans if we get an NIT bid.

I have pondered that and think it's very possible.

Mar 12, 2017, 12:32 PM [ in reply to I really don't see Marshall as an option ]

I just knew it wouldn't be well-received on Tigernet, so I didn't mention it. :) We were not a good team in January, February and March. Our record is not a record that supports a postseason tournament bid. Our claim to fame is the strength of the teams we lost to. That's not something you can hang your hat on.

Re: I have pondered that and think it's very possible.

Mar 12, 2017, 1:18 PM

well said T-Man

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no need to read

Mar 12, 2017, 12:33 PM

we already know. DRad having to pay the piper for his decision at this point.

The buyout has nothing to do with it.

Mar 12, 2017, 3:32 PM

If DRad keeps Brownell, it will be because he feels that Brownell deserves more time to see what he can do with the new facilities.

Clemson can afford the $3.5 million buyout, which really isn't that much these days for a buyout.

You can have your opinion of course

Mar 12, 2017, 7:57 PM

but it's a major deal. DRad will completely lose face if he is seen to burn 3.5 million in a bonfire of a "bad decision" that was his call. Yes, it's plenty of moulah, you can't be serious about this. We'll probably never know the truth for sure when he retains BB here in a few weeks, because we're going to hear some of your other arguments presented and postured for the reasons for keeping Brad. But he's just not a recruiter, that's the bottom line on all this. But you are correct he's an excellent coach. But probably 80-90 percent of games are won by the more talented team, and many of these games are by ten points or less.

Tropical has an issue with Brownell's coaching style.

Mar 12, 2017, 12:37 PM

That exasperated look at players and refs whenever something goes amiss irritates me.

When a ref makes a bad call, it is like " Excuse me Mr. Ref, you might have made an error. Next time, please be more observant. Thanks". Compare that to Coach K after a bad call.

Whenever a player makes a bad play, it is like "Oh well that is not how we practiced it. Come on you can do better next time." Or whenever a player makes a bone headed foul there is no immediate feedback. Compare that to Dabo or Coach V.

After seven seasons, I simply want more fire, intensity, passion. I simply want a change. I want more wins and periodic NCAA tournament appearances with a few wins. CBB style and attitude gets under my skin. He gets paid a large amount of money and just seems to have a cavalier attitude about winning.

I cannot see season eight being much different than the last five.

Re: Tropical has an issue with Brownell's coaching style.

Mar 12, 2017, 2:42 PM

That is as well put as I've seen. If the shoe doesn't fit, you just get another shoe...

He's a great guy, a nice man and people really like him as a person.

But he's not here to be liked, he's here to win championships.

That's where the money part comes in and BB simply has not payed off.

Brownell doesn't get paid a lot of money.

Mar 12, 2017, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Tropical has an issue with Brownell's coaching style. ]

We pay him a decent salary, but he is toward the bottom of the ACC in terms of compensation.

One of the bottom lines says it all

Mar 12, 2017, 12:41 PM

"Brownell is a great guy whose friends range from influential boosters to Clemson staffers to students to Dabo Swinney"

Re: One of the bottom lines says it all

Mar 12, 2017, 1:00 PM

I respect Dabo but he's wrong on Brownell. Had it not been for getting rid of Bowden, he would not have been head coach.

Re: One of the bottom lines says it all

Mar 12, 2017, 2:47 PM [ in reply to One of the bottom lines says it all ]

Friends don't translate into winning programs.

Mar 12, 2017, 12:57 PM

Dude Marshall is not coming to Clemson

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

He's had every chance

Mar 12, 2017, 2:39 PM

He's been here long enough, the 'just wait till next year' line has dust on it.

If a coach can't win consistently he can't win consistently.

No drama, no hurt feelings....if the horse doesn't win the race ever...he's just not a very good horse.

It's 3 years past time to move on.

Do you honestly think Brownell has been given every chance?

Mar 12, 2017, 3:35 PM

He just got good facilities in year seven. You act like he has had an easy situation at Clemson for 7 years, and he has had anything but.

Judge, VT plays in a dump

Mar 12, 2017, 3:39 PM

Cremins recruited players to play in a dungeon for years. Facilities do mean something, but we have not evaluated and identified guys that would have come here regardless of facilities for the chance to play in the ACC. Under the radar guys, the kind Clemson has to find and get. That's an area of recruiting we cannot overlook

VT also got a coach who was successful at Marquette.

Mar 12, 2017, 3:47 PM

When has Clemson ever hired a proven winner from another top program? Rick Barnes is the only one who can be considered anything close to that.

Of course you can find rare examples of coaches who have excelled at historically poor programs with poor facilities, but that is a very small minority. Clemson must stop hoping to find a needle in a haystack, and either stick with a guy who will hopefully build things slowly over the long-term (Brownell) or pony up the money to get a proven winner. We also need to have a strategy for keeping that coach happy, which we never have.

Do you seriously see us a better team next year?

Mar 12, 2017, 3:53 PM

It will be year 8 and everything points to it being a rebuilding year. The problem is Brad hasn't been slowly building a winner. That's what OP did. Brad has been stuck in neutral or reverse every year but KJ's last season here. We've been a .500 team. That's not a winner.

Marshall coming to Clemson would be

Mar 12, 2017, 2:54 PM

A bad move for him unless he just really really believes he can build a title program or wants to live long term in the Clemson area.

Otherwise, he is in a great situation at Wichita and can hold out for a blue blood job at Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas or Indiana.

I'd love for him to come but it wouldn't be a step up in his career by any means.

Re: Marshall coming to Clemson would be

Mar 12, 2017, 2:56 PM

It would take a lot of money. The administration would have to make a financial commitment of the football level.

Re: Marshall coming to Clemson would be

Mar 12, 2017, 8:10 PM

Based on Marshall's current salary and his buyout, you would think it would somewhere north of 30 million over 6 or 7 years to even get his attention. Plus the cost of his buyout.

To coach the 11 or 12th ranked program in the ACC

To always play second fiddle to football.

To always compete with Duke UNC, LVill, Virginia etc

To go to a place where 8th place is considered a #### fine year

To go to a state that does not produce enough talent to stock 1 program much less 2.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic