Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4 Team Playoff is RIDICULOUS CONCEPT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,891

4 Team Playoff is RIDICULOUS CONCEPT

Jun 11, 2012, 11:04 PM

I thought the whole concept of a playoff was to eliminate the subjective farce that has always been the crowning of the mythical national champion in college football.

But NOW in their infinite wisdom people have devised a plan to form a selection committee to choose the 4 best teams. What could possibly go wrong with that? OH let me guess, Swofford retires, gets on the committee and we are the 5th best team 10 years running...PUHLEEEEEEAASSEE! Make it stop.

Strength of schedule....Conference Supremecy based on last years rosters.... Team A beat Team B who lost to Team C from conference D who was better at the end of the season when Team C beat Team A in September....blah blah

It is all horseS&^$. Divy up college football into whatever conferences you want. 4 x 16, 6 x 12, 8 x 10.

By the way, 16 team conferences are stupid. We are no longer in the ACC. Our conference is our division in football. The other 1 or 2 games against the coastal teams every 7 years or so might as well be out of conference fillers. They don't build rivalries like a home and away matchups year in and year out.

Conference Champions ONLY. Regular season matters.

AND PLAY THE F#*&$^# games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4 Team Playoff is RIDICULOUS CONCEPT

Jun 11, 2012, 11:20 PM

4 teams is enough. The regular season is the playoff. Since the BCS there have been a few time where a deserving team has been left out, but there have been no instances where 3 deserving teams have been left out. It will work itself out and the best teams will get a shot.

No matter how many teams are in someone will always complain about getting left out, as with the NCAA basketball tournament. Teams that are in the 30s and 40s are complaining that they are getting left out. Well if they don't want to get left out, win more games and not be on the bubble.

I am sure that there will not be 5 undefeated teams from the 6 BCS conferences, so if any team wants to be in the playoff make sure to win every game. An undefeated ACC team will not get left out of the 4 team play off, unless maybe the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and Pac-12 all have undefeated teams (has this ever happened?) People are complaining about such stupid crap. Win all the games and get a shot at the title, don't drop games to NC State, or Wake Forrest, or Boston College.

Good point. Going from 2 teams to 4 is really about not

Jun 11, 2012, 11:32 PM

robbing that 3rd team that seems to be there every other year or so, and the occasional 4th team that comes along every 5 years or so, from being in the championship mix. It's not as much about getting into the top 4 as it is about being a legitimate #2 team that simply gets left out through voter or polling bias. Finish #1 or #2 in the nation - otherwise there's no room to complain if you're left out of the mix.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But but but but but but....

Jun 12, 2012, 1:24 AM

1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or...it's always an opinion. Sure MOST people MIGHT agree...

Re: But but but but but but....

Jun 12, 2012, 1:32 AM

Unless every team plays every team there will always be opinion factored into ranking teams. If you choose 64 teams it's still a matter of opinion. The line will always be drawn somewhere. I guess I'm not sure I get hat you are proposing. Are you proposing to eliminate having a champion?

that's even more ridiculouser

Jun 12, 2012, 7:37 AM

Of course not. What I want is a system where a set of defined and objective standards are put in place to construct a playoff system that consistently puts forward a champion who has proven themselves on the field.

This is not basketball, 64 teams, ie. a bunch of at large additions is not possible. Those comparisons are not valid. Different sport entirely including the number of games capable of being played. However, at least that tournament includes...wait for it...all the sconference champions.

The NFL would be a better comparison. They play a regular season which determines who makes the playoffs. The games count. What if the commissioner every year decided who made the playoffs? How would that work for you. Say this year we like the Jet's and Patriots and are going to pass over the NFC West champ 49er's. Everyone cool with that?

This is Amurica buddy, as close to a meritocracy that has ever been. Play the games on your schedule. Win your conference and you should get the opportunity to lose to Alabama by 60.

Re: that's even more ridiculouser

Jun 12, 2012, 7:54 AM

Agreed. You got to incorporate the conference champions. If not, then you are speculating which teams that did not win a conference are better than some others that did. It will be rare that the four conference champions will be 1, 2, 3, 4 in the rankings.

NFL is decent but even it has a major difference since you

Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM [ in reply to that's even more ridiculouser ]

play all the teams in your division twice which is important since it helps mitigate the "bad day" against a certain team. I think the NFL's method does a good job of crowning the best team as its champion. But even then within the playoff you have the weakness of one "bad game" and you are out. Really, MLB, NHL, and NBA, to a lesser extent college baseball do the best job of crowning the best team as their champion.

College has so many teams that you really can't crown the "best" team as a champion without using polls. Obviously polls are subjective. But, all a football playoff does is crown a playoff champion. The team may or may not be the "best" team. So even with a playoff, I don't care if it is a 64 team play off, you are only certain to crown a playoff champion, not a "best team." (College basketball does this with regularity.)

Either way, I don't really care. Playoff, no playoff. I don't see that it makes a difference either way. It is all a matter of money and what kind of resume you want the team crowned as "champion" to have.

16 team playoff then....

Jun 12, 2012, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: But but but but but but.... ]

11 Conference (FBS) winners + 5 wildcards (at large)... the fight would only be for the wildcards, the rest are AQ.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 16 team playoff then....

Jun 12, 2012, 12:13 PM

Why should conferences be meaningful? Isn't that part of the point of a playoff?

i agree with you, i'm fine with 4. just need to work out

Jun 12, 2012, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: 4 Team Playoff is RIDICULOUS CONCEPT ]

the details.

SEC just wants to make sure they can save 2-3 spots for

Jun 12, 2012, 1:00 AM

their teams in this format. That payout will boost their coffers nicely. Saban will be getting 8 digits a year. Too bad a degree from bama will still be as worthless.

it was nothing more than a hoodwink to consolidate power….

Jun 12, 2012, 1:50 AM

in college football. The 4 team playoff ensures that 1 loss teams from the big 10, pac 12, big 12, and sec get in. It also ensures that no mid majors get a crack at being at the top 4. For an ACC team to get in they would have to go undefeated. For a Big East team to even have a chance, they would have to go undefeated and destroy every single team they play. So in actuality we are further away from having a fair playoff system to decide a true national champion, than ever

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it was nothing more than a hoodwink to consolidate power….

Jun 12, 2012, 8:53 AM

The only playoff that makes sense is to have a 16 team playoff. Each conference with a CCG gets the division winners in both sides in(ie Atlantic and Coastal Champs). The first round of the playoff is between division champs in each conference. The conferences with 2 teams each would be the SEC, ACC, PAC12, BIG, Big 12(when they expand). One each from the MAC, Big East,etc. That leaves room for Independents and a few at large. After 1st round it really is only an 8 team playoff.

Thats a bad concept

Jun 12, 2012, 8:54 AM

you gonna take a 4 loss conference champ over a 1 loss top 4 team? That would cause chaos. The best 4 teams should play...we may not know who they are, but we know who they aint...and it aint a 3 or 4 loss conference champ.

Oh so what you are saying is that

Jun 12, 2012, 10:07 AM

you would take a 11-1 Rutgers over a 7-4 UGA if those are the champs of their respective conferences as it sits on the ground today?

Re: Oh so what you are saying is that

Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 AM

Absolutely would take 11-1 Rutgers over a 4 loss team. The question you have to ask is do you want the best teams or just make everyone feel good and give a pass to conference champions?

Do you think Clemson deserved to be in a 4 team playoff last year and Bama didn't?? Really, you think you could have played with Bama??

An undefeated ACC team would make a 4 team playoff. How many undefeated teams were there last year going into bowl season?? Now a 1 loss team may not get in but an undefeated team would, but a 4 loss team has no business playing for a championship unless you just want to feel good about your team and say they made the playoff.

Re: 4 Team Playoff is RIDICULOUS CONCEPT - I GOT IT!

Jun 12, 2012, 10:18 AM

Football every weekend of the year. All D-1 teams play each other once, excluding the SEC. After all teams have played, and the SEC goes through their regular season, the winner of the SEC plays the team with the best record from the rest of the teams. Because only after winning that many games would they deserve to play the SEC for NC. If the non-SEC team wins they will be crowned National Champions. If the SEC team wins they will be crowned National Champions, and the other team will be in 15th place - behind every other SEC team. I mean, isnt this the way it kinda is now, but football is not every weekend.

So last year Clemson would have been in your playoff over...

Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 AM

Alabama? I think that would have caused more chaos than whatever problem you are trying to solve.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 teams using the BCS formula when it was 8.***

Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 teams using the BCS formula when it was 8.***

Jun 12, 2012, 2:00 PM

"Re: 8 teams using the BCS formula when it was 8.***"

Makes too much sense, doesn't muddy the water enough, stabilizes existing conferences and rivalries too much, makes too much money, and allows more competetion and less manipulation.....

It will never fly. :(

-ZA

Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM

I would not have that much of a problem with four if it is done right. I think that winning your conference should factor into the computer formulas. Last year had OSU gotten a .5 point boost for winning their conference they would have jumped Alabama and played in the NC. 16 is ideal but 4 is better than the current system.

Jun 12, 2012, 1:31 PM

I like the idea of a boost for winning the conference. That gives the conference champion with the same record an up on a team with TE same record but doesn't make up for a significant number of losses. I would definitely be in favor of this.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,891
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic