Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 560

Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again

Jun 6, 2017, 2:17 PM

i'm betting the "college-educated employees" discussed herein don't have science/engineering degrees.... but I like the idea of a bartender with a history degree, barber with a polysci ..... good conversation, no?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-old-timey-jobs-are-hot-again-1496754001

Gentrification isn’t just taking place in working-class neighborhoods. It’s happening to jobs, too.

Walk around parts of Brooklyn, Portland or Pittsburgh, and you’ll find stylish cocktail bars, barbers and the occasional butcher shop staffed by young, college-educated employees. For an affluent segment of today’s urban economy, these jobs have been revalued from low-status semi-manual labor to glamorous occupations, says sociologist Richard Ocejo.

In his new book “Masters of Craft: Old Jobs in the New Urban Economy,” Mr. Ocejo examines the forces driving a resurgence of occupations such as butcher and bartender among young middle-class urbanites. A similar dynamic is at work with a handful of other jobs, including craft brewer, bookbinder, furniture maker and fishmonger.

The Labor Department projects that between 2014 and 2024 the number of bartenders and barbers in the U.S. will grow 10%, while butchers will see a 5% increase, compared with a 7% job growth for all occupations over the same period. Median pay for these jobs was less than $30,000 a year in 2016.

Millennials are drawn to these occupations, in part, as a reaction to “the ephemerality of the digital age,” says Mr. Ocejo, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and the City University of New York Graduate Center.

Distinct from many of today’s most vaunted jobs in fields like information technology and financial services, these trades “are based in using your hands, with actual tools and materials, to provide a tangible concrete product,” he says.

To attract young people with college degrees and other options in the labor market, jobs usually have an element of performance to them, Mr. Ocejo says. In most of the careers he studied for “Masters of Craft,” workers interact closely with customers, often in a public setting where their skill and knowledge can be admired. That’s why some manual positions like electrician and plumber are unlikely to experience the same “revalorization,” he says.

Unlike real-estate gentrification, where the arrival of more affluent people displaces lower-income residents in a neighborhood, hipsters generally aren’t displacing workers at more conventional businesses in the same industry, Mr. Ocejo says.

A trendy whole-animal butcher isn’t pushing out the local butcher shop, he says, since it likely “closed a long time ago when the Italians moved out.” And it isn’t hurting the halal butchers in the neighborhood either, since those shops serve a different clientele.

“They’ve created a niche that didn’t exist before, and they’re operating along parallel but very, very separate paths” with pre-existing businesses, Mr. Ocejo says.

But with aesthetics playing such a key role in the craft-business ideal—from bartenders with suspenders and handlebar mustaches to tattooed butchers carving an unusual cut of meat—Mr. Ocejo says the jobs tend to attract people from similar cultural backgrounds, creating a barrier for others.

“It’s very difficult if you are from a working-class background or a minority to get one of these jobs, which would give you higher wages, networking opportunities and more interesting work,” he says. “That’s a challenge for these companies: to become more inclusive and not just hire people who look like them or are part of their social network.”

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You dont need an ole-timey job to talk political byoolshite

Jun 6, 2017, 2:19 PM

with people that don't care. You do it all the time in here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got a BS Chemistry

Jun 6, 2017, 2:24 PM

Hear that, Tropical???

Guess I shoulda been a bartender....
In a Tequila establishment....

We could talk about anti-climatic stuff....

You, good Sir, should become an apothecary.***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:46 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've oft considered becoming a huckster or a boniface.

Jun 6, 2017, 2:32 PM

Possibly even a carnifex.

Lemme know when you need a scamp.***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so the hipsters are realizing this is what they have been

Jun 6, 2017, 2:35 PM

dressing like and are now just playing the role?

I see a lot of potential knaves in Walmart.***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:37 PM

I do have a friend that graduated with me at Clemson who is

Jun 6, 2017, 2:41 PM

about to open his own barbershop with his brother. He was a graphics comm guy though so not quite liberal arts.

ROH

The high-end barber shops can bring in some good jack.***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to be an adept scrivener to manage one though.***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:44 PM

lmao***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also high volume shops can be $$$

Jun 6, 2017, 2:46 PM [ in reply to The high-end barber shops can bring in some good jack.*** ]

as some in hear know, my Grandfather made a career in the field managing hundreds of barber and beauty shops on US military bases in north america. He had plenty of barbers pull in six figures after tips. These were typically at bases like Ft. Jackson in Columbia where recruits, flush with cash and little other opportunities/time to spend it would tip heavily

that would be capitalism in a nutshell - lots of customers

Jun 7, 2017, 10:57 AM

paying a little at a time or a few customers paying boutique prices.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Black hair is where the $'s at.***

Jun 6, 2017, 3:18 PM [ in reply to The high-end barber shops can bring in some good jack.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, way to be racist

Jun 6, 2017, 4:59 PM

against blondes, brunettes, and gingers.

Is he going to be in Greenville? If so, can you

Jun 6, 2017, 2:54 PM [ in reply to I do have a friend that graduated with me at Clemson who is ]

get me that hook-up so I can pay $17 for a haircut and get the back of my neck done with a strait razor? I've found a place, but the hours aren't ideal for me and it was $20 after tip.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will be in Greenville, but he's probably 8-12 months from

Jun 6, 2017, 3:10 PM

opening up at this point. He's charging $15 now so we'll see what his final price is.

I let him do the straight razor on my neck a few weeks ago and he was still just getting the hang of it. He's been cutting hair for a few years but only within the last six months started looking at opening up shop and getting serious about cuts, shaves, etc.

Message was edited by: SwimminTiger®

ROH

I won't have as much, but I'll probably

Oct 16, 2017, 8:37 PM

still need hair cuts in a year from now. Stone Plaza Barber Shop has currently won my business over Roosters, even though I'll have to get creative with his hours.

i am in the market for a Squire***

Jun 6, 2017, 2:43 PM

Not gonna lie.......

Jun 6, 2017, 3:01 PM

considering effing the rat race and opening a automotive restoration shop right now.

This is a great book on the topic of the article....

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/0143117467

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you were closer to Louisville, you could become a

Jun 6, 2017, 3:03 PM

fishmonger.

tangent response.

Jun 6, 2017, 3:06 PM

I tried one each of my purchases last night, and they were both quite excellent.

I'm going to run up to the Kentucky border in a couple weeks....if the liquor stores there are like the ones here, they'll be sold out of Landshark and have 10 cases of Zombie Dust stacked up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My buddy here that trades by mail and has gotten some really

Jun 6, 2017, 3:12 PM

rare gems thought he had Dark Lord lined up for us, but looks like that's not going to come through again this year. One of these days, maybe I'll just go to Munster for Dark Lord Day.

Re: tangent response.

Jun 7, 2017, 10:53 AM [ in reply to tangent response. ]

Liquor store off exit 226 on 40 , across from Kroger, Mt Juliet, has large , nice selection. Sorry can't remember name .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks brah but I'm on the other side of the lake....

Jun 7, 2017, 10:54 AM

We have some good stores up here, I was just trekking to KY in search of 3 Floyd's beer....none in TN yet.

YET.

Jun 7, 2017, 11:46 AM

LOLUTZ.

From what I gather, 3 Floyds has no intent to expand any further than where they are already. I'm shocked it's that far South in Kentucky to begin with, my connection in Chicago has a really hard time tracking it down there.

You seen their distribution recently?

Jun 7, 2017, 11:47 AM

When I first started peeping them, they were IN, IL, and KY only.

They've added Ohio and Wisconsin since then.

I need them to distribute in Rock Hill.

Jun 7, 2017, 11:49 AM

I think I'll send them a sternly-worded e-mail.

No way they come to SC.

Jun 7, 2017, 12:11 PM

Like you'd want to enter into a turf battle with the wizards over at Thomas Creek Brewery.

Right @celtic_tiger®?

WHY DOES TAG NO WORK FOR ME EVUR?

Jun 7, 2017, 12:12 PM

@celtic_tiger®

Do you have AMAA posting warranty?

Jun 7, 2017, 12:20 PM

I'd read through your documentation if you do.

Or Lethal Remedy here in RH.***

Jun 7, 2017, 12:18 PM [ in reply to No way they come to SC. ]

whoar?

Jun 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

numbers seem to be vastly higher based on contemporary fashion.

Jokes on all of you been an alchemist for 20 years

Jun 6, 2017, 3:12 PM

I live by the gold standard

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much like Obed quitting the rat race to become a wainwright,

Jun 6, 2017, 3:15 PM

I am considering leaving corporate America for a career in phrenology.

Rufus?***

Jun 6, 2017, 3:17 PM

How long before AB-InBev starts buying these up too?***

Jun 6, 2017, 4:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Replies: 37
| visibility 560
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic