Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
AI and Signal Calling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,475

AI and Signal Calling?

Oct 12, 2020, 10:33 AM

I just thought, and wondered, if AI can or could analyze coaches signals and detect patterns? Are there any tech gurus out there that could comment on this? I suppose it's not that far-fetched, right?

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AI and Signal Calling?

Oct 12, 2020, 10:37 AM

This is imminent, if it isn’t happening already. The ability for machine learning algorithms to extract patterns from datasets is pretty remarkable. The key would be generating datasets in a way that’s actionable in real-time eg images of the sideline associated with play call, down and distance, game situation, etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AI and Signal Calling?

Oct 12, 2020, 10:57 AM

Thanks but now I'm wondering what % of signal calling doesn't vary week-to-week? Machine learning could identify those patterns, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sure could....

Oct 12, 2020, 10:39 AM

would be similar to the sign language interpreter I would surmise.

https://youtu.be/N0Vm0LXmcU4

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sure could....

Oct 12, 2020, 10:43 AM

It could be more expansive than a signal stealing apparatus. Additional discriminating information could be accounted for such as down and distance, time of the game, ebbs and flows eg coming off of a three and out, etc. it could be a complex (and potentially accurate) predictive model. Potentially, could even generate the optimal solution for the call that is predicted to come...

I knew this was going to come up today....

Oct 12, 2020, 10:50 AM

nm

I work with AI and though it is helpful,

Oct 12, 2020, 10:56 AM

right now it is still far from predictive. The main problem being that it assumes probability based off of...well...probability.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I work with AI and though it is helpful,

Oct 12, 2020, 11:01 AM

I think what you're referring to is more analytics. I was referring to actual signal calling. It's coming and not surprised if it's not already here and we (or I just) don't know.

Re: I work with AI and though it is helpful,

Oct 12, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to I work with AI and though it is helpful, ]

It really depends on the problem at hand. AI/ML techniques have done a phenomenal job at exploring physics-based data sets; however, that means the underlying data is derived from an analytical process. You’re right, if the underlying dataset is more complicated and less predictable in nature, eg stochastic processes, the reliability of the AI/ML is directly tied. But this field is advancing daily at an incredible pace, especially with a lot of the darpa initiatives. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it trickle into the sports realm in some capacity sooner than later.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,475
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic