Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are you friggin kidding me? Robert vs Clowney smh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Are you friggin kidding me? Robert vs Clowney smh

Jun 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/highschool/06/15/clowney-nkemdiche-comparison/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stupid comparison

Jun 15, 2012, 1:02 PM

Clowney is a weakside speed rusher.

Nkemdiche is a strongside end who will probably end up as a 3-technique (based off his strength and the fact that he's already 270 lbs).

Who cares, its great for the state...

Jun 15, 2012, 4:13 PM

the debate keeps us in the lime light. Both will be great

That guy should be fired. He is a disgrace to sportswriting

Jun 15, 2012, 1:04 PM

Actually he's a disgrace to humanity in general. It's probably the absolute dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. I would say he should be shot, but I don't know if that's socially acceptable. It'd be nice if his house were to find itself burned down for some reason.

Re: That guy should be fired. He is a disgrace to sportswriting

Jun 15, 2012, 1:07 PM

It was just absolutely ridiculous how every sentence would start out with how amazing he thinks clowney is followed by how nkemdiche can't measure up. This guy really should be fired

Jun 15, 2012, 1:08 PM

It also reads to me like he's comparing Clowney NOW and RN now, as opposed to Mr. Amazing as a rising senior in high school compared to RN at the same time.

Jun 16, 2012, 6:17 PM

Dont skim, READ:

"Is Nkemdiche, the nation's No. 1 player in the class of 2013, better at the same stage of development than South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, the nation's

"At 6-foot-6 and 240 pounds coming out of his junior year, Clowney was not quite as big or strong as Nkemdiche is at the same stage..."

The author of this article never stated anything about Jadeveons college career and never included any accumulated college statistics and he states that this is a comparison to Clowney at the SAME STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT. I know they taught reading comprehension at least in High School and before- please use it folks.

Do you know where he lives?***

Jun 15, 2012, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: That guy should be fired. He is a disgrace to sportswriting ]

Count me in !!

Jun 15, 2012, 3:34 PM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2012, 1:57 PM [ in reply to That guy should be fired. He is a disgrace to sportswriting ]

This coming from the man that said "all good Christians go to Clemson." I didn't realize true Christians were still this violent. The Crusades are over, bud.

They don't have to be over!***

Jun 15, 2012, 2:11 PM

theyre not really over

Jun 15, 2012, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: That guy should be fired. He is a disgrace to sportswriting ]

because the crusades were all based around the holy land. if you watch the news every now and then you would see that the radical Muslims are still attacking Christians, and other religions. I know it's not the "crusades" but it bares a striking resemblance.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: theyre not really over

Jun 16, 2012, 6:51 PM

And radical Christians have bombed abortion clinics, Jews have waged war on nondenominational Egyptians, and people are still insane over religious texts from thousands of years ago that shouldn't dictate how modern society is run. However, everyman Catholics are no longer sent down there to return the Holy Land for his Church, so it is safe to assume that the average "true Christian" is not continuing the third Crusade, and that there is no longer an official, state-sponsored martial gesture coming from Vatican City war generals.

some cock-jacka$$ on rivals said that clowney is a proven

BCS starter. I don't think he started any games.

I know he's good but if he's as good as they all say, a freak of nature and in a league of his own, wth wasn't he starting last year?

I don't care how high the person in front of him was drafted, if they say you're a rarity or a once in a lifetime type of player, you'd be starting.

Re: some cock-jacka$$ on rivals said that clowney is a proven

Jun 15, 2012, 2:29 PM

There are a lot of people that are talking out of their buttholes on this one. I know Clowney played at a good level of comp. in HS. But not on the same planet as what Grayson or any other program in Gwinnett county play at. You're talking about a school district whose budget for 2011 was something like 2.1 billion dollars. Gwinnett County boast some of the most elite prgrams and players in the country.

As for the Clowney thing. I take nothing away from the kid but every clip of his HS days I saw showed him left untouched (sometimes because of his speed)and getting in the backfield. If a tackle put a hand on him he didn't have nearly the same success. Nkemdiche was blowing up some of the better linemen in this state when he was a freshman, with power. I won't make the comparison between the two. Nkemdiche is more along the lines of D. Bowers a guy that can use tech, speed and power. Clowney is a speed rush end and a guy that can drop back in coverage.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2012, 3:27 PM

I think you might have meant 2.1 million...$1,937,289,116.00, or 1.9 billion was the entire state budget for GA in the 2011-2012 fiscal year.

Jun 15, 2012, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: some cock-jacka$$ on rivals said that clowney is a proven ]

In which case, 2.1 million is not that much. My high school, a AAA in PA with graduating classes of 300ish (and only average in athletics), spent 1.4 million on our athletic program and 3.6 per year total as a school district.

Jun 15, 2012, 10:11 PM

Here is a link to the actual Gwinnett County public budget document. Since revenues state wide were down the budget for fiscal year 2012 was/is less than in the past but is still over 1.7 billion. Fiscal year 2011 was higher than 2012. I believe 2010 was 2.1 billion. Don't believe me, here is the document. I know what I'm talking about because this was big news around here and I believe it was ront page news on the AJC. One of the reasons it stuck in my head was because of the 20/20 show Dumb in America or something like that where a Kansas City district's budget hit the 2 billion mark because of them saying they needed more money to improve. The footballl facilities improved, they built olympic size indoor pools, etc but the academic performance dropped.

Jun 15, 2012, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: some cock-jacka$$ on rivals said that clowney is a proven ]

Also here is an article from the AJC that states there are 489 central office positions in Gwinnett county schools costing over 35 million a year. That alone is over ten times what you said. The number of GC school employees making over six figures was something like 1600.

Jun 16, 2012, 6:43 PM

How many high schools are in this district? Also, I wasn't including budget for salaries, just expenses for my high school. In some years, its close to 15 million in athletic expenses, like when we renovate part of the campus, but year to year, with travel costs and such for athletic programs, its around 1 and a half million a year. We only have one high school per school district, and 19 public high schools in my country. Some districts have 2 middle schools, and some have 3 or 4 elementary schools, but mine only had one of each.

Jun 16, 2012, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Re: some cock-jacka$$ on rivals said that clowney is a proven ]

And the fact of the matter is that when DaQuan was playing, our run defense was much better than it was last year. I want Nkemdiche. He will be able to get to the QB or the RB. He is smart, strong and fast enough to handle either one. Clowney, when he splits wide to get to the QB, leaves the middle open and the run game a big hole.

Had he committed to an SEC school

he would have been the best ever.

Exactly right.

Jun 15, 2012, 1:14 PM

If he switched his commitment to Bama next week, he would suddenly be head and shoulders above Clowney.

As ridiculous as it is, you're probably right

Jun 15, 2012, 2:08 PM

And, since we're on the topic if #1 overall prospects, we'll see if Clowney has as prolific of a career as Bowers did. He's got a long way to go to being a unanimous All-American and wins the Nagurski.

Re: As ridiculous as it is, you're probably right

Jun 15, 2012, 3:53 PM

I know I'm gonna get a TD for this and trust me I hate the coots like most on here, but Clowney had a better freshman year than Daquan did. Daquan had some flashes his freshman year, had a dissapointing second year, and finally destroyed people in his third year. It's fair to say that Clowney still has to prove himself, but also fair to say that he is very capable of doing so.

They had about the same number of tackles, but Clowney had more tackles for loss a a lot more sacks. Daquan had 8 TFL and 1 sack, Clowney had 12 TFL and 8 sacks.

It's tough to nit pick who is better when the competition is not the same but from what I've seen of Clowney is that he's pretty good.

Ingram?

Jun 15, 2012, 8:53 PM

Having Melvin Ingram line up as other DE may have helped him not draw double coverage.

Clowney still needs to learn to spin inside when OT's push..

Jun 15, 2012, 10:48 PM

him to the outside. That was a weakness of his, his freshman season. He just tried to out sprint the tackle, and the tackle would push him far up field where he couldn't get to the qb. If he develops a spin move, he will be very dangerous.

All that aside the dude writing the article is a moron. There is no point in comparing the 2 until RN get's to college and actually plays a down. The guy who wrote the article has sour grapes that one of the media's precious SEC teams didn't get picked by him.

So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow.

Jun 15, 2012, 1:20 PM

Quote from the article:

"Clowney is a rarity, and comparing other defensive ends to him is like comparing wide receivers to Jerry Rice or offensive tackles to Anthony Munoz. It's not fair."

The guy has yet to start a full season, and Sammy recevied more accolades as a first year player, so is he Jerry Rice too? This is just...whatever...the guys and idiot.

Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow.

Jun 15, 2012, 2:00 PM

Would you expect any true freshman to start over a first round draft pick on one side and a returning All-SEC DE on the other? He would have started for any other team in the nation (including LSU, better than Adams and Mingo), save for Alabama.

Jun 15, 2012, 2:31 PM

When people say hes the best thing since sliced bread, Yes he SHOULD be starting over those guys.

Isn't he supposed to be a first round draft pick as well?

Also, Most scouts have said Sammy would have been a first round draft pick in LAST years draft...not many people have said that of clowney.

Anyway, for my comparison:

Clowney: A superior pass rusher who is made to be a weakside DE in a 4-3.

Nkemdiche: Superior strength, football IQ, and versatility. Made to be a SDE, MLB, or even RB. Can eventually even play in a 3-4. The ONLY upside of clowney is his weakside pass rushing.

I'd take Nkemdiche any day of the week.

Jun 15, 2012, 3:56 PM

I think Clowney could be an OLB in a 3-4.

Jun 15, 2012, 4:10 PM

As a Carolina fan, I don't think he would be smart enough to pick up all the intricacies of the LB spot quick enough to make it worthwhile, unless it was purely a 3-4 blitz package. Then we could say, "sic 'em" and let him do his thing.

Stupid comparison, but I will say that JC does have a

Jun 15, 2012, 1:59 PM

productive year of college football under his belt, and RN hasn't even played his Sr year.

I think it's stupid to compare a HS Senior and a College Soph. Let's compare them after RN has his Frosh year under his belt.

RN is the total package at his age and lacks only for maturity and experience. How you say someone is/was better than consensus #1 is beyond me.

Re: Stupid comparison, but I will say that JC does have a

Jun 16, 2012, 6:14 PM

Dont skim, READ:

"Is Nkemdiche, the nation's No. 1 player in the class of 2013, better at the same stage of development than South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, the nation's No. 1 player in 2011?"

"At 6-foot-6 and 240 pounds coming out of his junior year, Clowney was not quite as big or strong as Nkemdiche is at the same stage..."

The author of this article never stated anything about Jadeveons college career and never included any accumulated college statistics and he states that this is a comparison to Clowney at the SAME STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT. I know they taught reading comprehension at least in High School and before- please use it folks.

Yeah, that's a ridiculous article

Jun 15, 2012, 2:05 PM

Clowney is a special, special talent, no question. But so is Nkemdiche. They ARE different players. Nkemdiche is a lot bigger and stronger, too, so he can move inside some as well (which he pointed out). Clowney was helped a LOT by playing with Melvin Ingram, too this past season. His technique is garbage and I'm not going out on a limb when I say that Nkemdiche has a leg up in the intelligence department. Btw, Nkemdiche is 270 and runs a 4.56 and plays RB.

Looks like Peppers on film. Glad we got him. The Gamecocks won't be.

Re: Yeah, that's a ridiculous article

Jun 15, 2012, 2:13 PM

I'd rather you have him than UGA. UGA already has a pretty solid defense, and could just plug him in as a freshman and let him go to work. He is going to be an absolute terror on offensive lines, but it will be easier to contain him if we don't have to worry about a solid DT plugging up the guard and a blitzing safety and OLB(contain, not stop, we won't be able to completely stop him). By his junior year, with all these recruits you are landing, you should have a very capable defense, but I'm hoping that it takes that long to build a foundation around him. Then, we only have to play him once or twice with a great defense around him, rather than 3 to 4 times at UGA. Also, sick of seeing Bama land anyone, so its nice to see Clemson come up and steal him. Someone has got to give the proverbial middle finger to Saban.

Lets get this straight

Jun 15, 2012, 2:18 PM

Im from SC and I love my state but Nkemdiche plays against much beter competiton in highschool than clowney. Clowney is a freak and a great great player, but id take Nkemdiche every day. Nkemdiche as a rising senior is already better against the run than clowney is as a rising sophmore in college.

Whatever it takes to make the SEC sleep at night.***

Jun 15, 2012, 2:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love it. Puts a chip on the kid's shoulder...

Jun 15, 2012, 2:54 PM

If he wasn't going to blow people up before, he sure as #### is now.

Re: Are you friggin kidding me? Robert vs Clowney smh

Jun 15, 2012, 3:38 PM

I remember last year's off-season, many Clemson fans were projecting that DE Corey Crawford was as good as Clowney, based on his scrimmage performances in the fall. Crawford only collected 29 tackles with 2 TFL, 0 sacks last season, in a season when the Clemson defense could've used him....

that's completely false, there were no Clemson fans making..

Jun 15, 2012, 10:52 PM

that claim. go back to fgf coot, we don't care what you think.

What's really funny is

Jun 15, 2012, 3:55 PM

Tony Steward was the #1 overall prospect according to Rivals before he got hurt. To declare Clowney the unquestioned #1 is hypocritical when they actually had somebody ahead of him before an injury changed their rankings.

Eff Rivals and Eff ESPN. Don't support the SEC hype machine.

Jun 15, 2012, 3:57 PM

Y'all are really only saying he's as good as Clowney because he is coming to Clemson. He's not as good as Clowney and most everyone knows it. He's very good, though.

Jun 15, 2012, 6:04 PM

Good is a relative term. RN will be good with Championships won. Clowney will be good with 5th and 6th place rings GIVEN to him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2012, 6:23 PM

RN might win an ACC championship. Anything more and he better learn to block. If JC finishes 5th in SEC and RN is ACC camp i will be more impressed with clowneys accomplishment. Serious. No flame.

Jun 15, 2012, 8:24 PM

seriously, you are crazy, and have never played a sport in your life if you feel that way. if you had played hs ball, in a,aa,aaa, etc, and won a championship, you are saying you would give it back because it's not 4a? if you say yes, i would say you are lying. the sec is good, it's not the be all, end all, look at the nfl draft.

Jun 15, 2012, 8:49 PM

No i wouldnt give it back. Doesnt mean all championships are equal. I seriously believe it is just as hard to finish 5th in SEC as it is to win ACC. I think most people would agree with me.

Most *SEC fans* would agree with you

Jun 15, 2012, 8:59 PM

Because it gives them a bigger head swell than they already have. The rest of the country (guess what, they play football other places that are not a part of the SEC) would not agree.

Re: Most *SEC fans* would agree with you

Jun 15, 2012, 9:09 PM

The majority of people who are not ACC fans would agree with me. Either way, thread is about RN and JC. No slight to RN at all but i would still take clowney regardless of however many ACC championships RN gets. On that, the vast majority of non-clemson fans would agree.

Re: Most *SEC fans* would agree with you

Jun 16, 2012, 2:54 PM

disagree again. i have been stationed all over this country and anyone outside of sec country knows that it is a very good, ALBIET, top heavy conf. you have two or three teams that legitamly have a shot at the nc, and the rest are no better than any other conf..and all over the usa, football fans KNOW that the sec doesn't mind, uh, bending the rules to try and reach the pinnacle, that is a known and accepted FACT.

Jun 15, 2012, 9:04 PM

As others have mentioned, there's no way this article is written If he signs with LSU or Bama...

Though obviously all Carolina fans are going to say they prefer Clowney and all Clemson fans are going to say Nkemdiche is better, we're not going to be able to see them on the same field for 2 years when they're in totally different stages of development.

I'm just happy we got this guy. Fantastic news.

Jun 15, 2012, 9:40 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I can't even get mad. This article started good for about the first sentence, then went downhill very fast. So ridiculous I can't even get mad... Lol

I also agree with other people on here that say if knemdiche committed to LSU or Bama, he would be the Jerry Rice of DEs...

Comical.

Jun 15, 2012, 10:43 PM

Clowney is in a league of his own. Once in a decade type prospect. Nkemdiche compares to Ronald Powell and Da'Quan Bowers. Both were the #1 players in their class. Many scouts have said that Clowney was one of the best prospects they had ever seen in 30 years.

Jun 15, 2012, 10:46 PM

On a different note, there is a kid in Virginia who is a 2014 prospect whom many are saying could be the second coming of Clowney. His name is Da'Shawn Hand.

silly coot***

Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 PM

Jun 15, 2012, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow. ]

Clowney>Nkemdiche

Not even close.

Jun 15, 2012, 11:18 PM

college>hs.......not even close chickentroll

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2012, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow. ]

you will be right, the gators will eat clowney up. rn is a different beast. he can line up inside or out, clowney can't. if you allot a fb, or heck, even an rb, to help with clowney, he's out of the play, rn plows over the help.

I see you can read***

Jun 16, 2012, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone with the nick name Doo Doo...

Jun 16, 2012, 2:36 AM [ in reply to Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow. ]

For better or worse, is Definatly in a class of his own. I'm not gonna lie, I wish he would have come to Clemson, but he didnt. Was I worried when he committed to Scar? Are you coots worried about RN? At this point, I seriously doubt it. If you are you may need to talk to a Dr.

What I do find odd is how many people cant believe Clemson landed an awesome DE. I mean, we send one to the NFL EVERY YEAR. Get over it.

that is every year.***

Jun 16, 2012, 7:06 AM [ in reply to Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow. ]

Jun 16, 2012, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: So now Clowney is the Jerry Rice of DEs? Wow. ]

That could be said about a lot of prospects. Terrelle Pryor was the second coming of Jesus to some. There's no doubt Clowney is an INCREDIBLE talent, and it's very possible he will be the best defensive player in the country this year or next. That said, no one knows what Nkemdiche will do by the time he arrives on campus for Clemson.

While I love both that Carolina and Clemson got the #1 recruits in back-to-back years, I wish we'd hold off on the "who's better" comparisons for now seeing as one of them hasn't even taken a snap in their Senior year of high school yet.

Jun 16, 2012, 5:31 PM

you are right, but usuc fans tee me off so dang bad, i have to say something. i do disagree, however, about clowney being one of the best defensive players next year. he has done no more than any other highly recruited (not even #1) player in the country so far. he has respectable stats, as do a multitude of others, so lets refrain from giving him undeserved accolades just because he is from the state of sc.

Jun 16, 2012, 6:47 PM

Agree on the wait and see approach. I am speaking purely about their ratings as prospects. Lot of variables will eventually determine how good each can be. Neither is anywhere near their potential. As a carolina fan, i hope RN doesnt ever come in and dominate us. Taking off my carolina glasses, i hope both wotk hard, become excellent players, and make tons of money playing a game.

Dabo knows best

Jun 16, 2012, 5:17 PM

Dabo didn't care if got Clowney or not. He knew he could and would land better. If Clowney can't start for the coots, he can't make the scout team at Clemson. Clemson...the state's flagship school...and home to superior athletes.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic