Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RBG admitted to the hospital.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 546

RBG admitted to the hospital.

Nov 8, 2018, 9:15 AM

Oh no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RBG admitted to the hospital.

Nov 8, 2018, 9:19 AM

She fell and fractured 3 ribs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2018, 9:21 AM

just put her brain in a jar of formaldehyde with a pair of googly eyes stuck on it and it will still be a better judge than what the conservatives bring to the senate floor.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RBG admitted to the hospital.***

Nov 8, 2018, 9:35 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ today's installment of tbalm's horse sheet ^^***

Nov 8, 2018, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: RBG admitted to the hospital. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope she's ok.

Nov 8, 2018, 9:24 AM

If not, prepare for the "abolish the Senate" movement to take off.

Here's the argument fwiw.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/30/abolish-the-senate-its-the-only-way-to-rein-in-modern-presidents/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.30c0f34ca180

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The looney get loonier.***

Nov 8, 2018, 9:33 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Hope she's ok.

Nov 8, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Hope she's ok. ]

Republicans won the senate, therefor it needs to be eliminated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smh

Nov 8, 2018, 9:49 AM

It's an opinion piece from before the 2016 election. The guy even contributes to the Washington Examiner. He's actually a historian who has interesting stuff on congress.

Re: smh

Nov 8, 2018, 9:57 AM

No need to read beyond the title. The mere suggestion of altering the checks and balances that control the branches of govt is stupid and unconstitutional. This is just another "stop Trump" mind game.

Re: smh

Nov 8, 2018, 10:04 AM

How is this a stop Trump mind game when it was written before Trump was elected? Besides, there are some good points in there about how weak and ineffective congress has become as a check on the presidency. Don't think the solution is to get rid of the Senate but congress as a whole growing a spine would be nice.

The fallacy is that this strengthens Congress. It will not.

Nov 8, 2018, 10:26 AM

Congress has long ago ceded their strength to the executive on just about any hot button issue. I've cited immigration. You can tack on drug laws if you like. How about Obamacare? Obama had almost complete control of it's implementation. It was doomed to fail, so they let the President take the heat by letting the President basically run it as he sees fit.

Congress is MORE than happy to punt to the executive on issues that a strong stance and legislation could result in losing reelection. Add to that they're literally out of money to buy more votes, and they're more powerless today than ever. Less functional than ever as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not about checks and balances

Nov 8, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: smh ]

You can have all the checks and balances you want in Washington. When you take the power of the states out of the equation, ....just sit back and see where that leads.

The whole philosophical principle for the creation and existence of the Senate was to PREVENT Congress from having a truly popular vote. Same for the electoral college. You remove the populism from the legislation and let it stand on its own among the 50 states, not the people directly. You see a lot of extreme legislation proposed in, and sometimes coming out of the House. You rarely see it escape the Senate. That's by design.

Came here to post this.

Nov 8, 2018, 10:24 AM

Abolish the 17th amendment

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

He's spot on on the 17th Amendment.

Nov 8, 2018, 10:14 AM [ in reply to smh ]

I often overlook that on my list of things that have attacked our REPUBLIC. All of this has been going on a long time. And it's a very slow, but methodical process. Nothing ever happens that supports or strengthens the REPUBLIC. Everything that has been accomplished has been geared toward weakening states rights, state power, and increasing federal powers, control, and authority.

We also have a massive ignorance about democracy. Do away with the Senate, do away with the electoral college, and we fall. Plain and simple. If we go to truly popular elections, we will NOT survive. Promise.

It's just a constant headwind.......and the direction of that headwind never changes.

Democracy=mob rule

Nov 8, 2018, 11:16 AM

Get rid of the 17th amendment. It's a shame people are being taught our government is a democracy.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So that was two years ago...am I just blind to it?

Nov 8, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Hope she's ok. ]

Is Trump really overreaching?

Obama has a reputation around Conservatives for making drastic policy by EO. Does Trump have the same reputation?

null

Re: So that was two years ago...am I just blind to it?

Nov 8, 2018, 9:53 AM

The modern presidency has a pattern of increasing executive power. It's just natural to want to expand your reach. A good example of how Congress doesn't do it's job is when the Supreme Court ruled that W. couldn't be blamed for overstepping his war powers if Congress never attempted to rein him in.

Here. This was 107 years ago

Nov 8, 2018, 10:38 AM [ in reply to So that was two years ago...am I just blind to it? ]

Bill proposed in House in 1911.

"Whereas the Senate in particular has become an obstructive and useless body, a menace to the liberties of the people, and an obstacle to social growth; a body, many of the Members of which are representatives neither of a State nor of its people, but solely of certain predatory combinations, and a body which, by reason of the corruption often attending the election of its Members, has furnished the gravest public scandals in the history of the nation. . . ."

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/House_Member_Introduces_Resolution_To_Abolish_the_Senate.htm

And here's something 3 weeks old...

https://www.gq.com/story/the-case-for-abolishing-the-senate

Some more 4-week old whinning...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/10/senators-kavanaugh-represented-44-percent-us/572623/

How about last year...

https://thinkprogress.org/antidemocratic-history-of-senate-d05688f441b8/

18 years ago...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2000/11/abolish-the-senate.html

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2000/11/abolish-the-senate.html

The funniest thing about this is...

Nov 8, 2018, 11:35 AM

that today's left believed they are the first generation to think of it. Confounding as it is the decision to get rid of the senate is in the hands of the states. That's considering that the senate will never go along with putting itself our of a job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most people today see things in 24-hour news cycles

Nov 8, 2018, 12:00 PM

and think it's totally unique, and/or has never happened before. I blame a horrific (almost to the extent it must be on purpose) lack of history education. Like The Hill article on the rural/urban divide in America. Like that's ####### new or something.

In all fairness, in my example the very old argument associated with the 1911 House bill proposal was over a slightly different issue. See, again you have to GO BACK and study the issue AT THAT TIME IN THE PAST. This bill proposed in 1911 to abolish the senate was similar, but different than the contemporary argument. Back in 1911, in the years leading up to the 17th Amendment, the issue with the Senate was that the Senators were appointed by state legislatures, and not elected by a popular vote. The specific problem that led to the 17th Amendment was that before its passage, Senators were appointed by state legislatures. There was no vote. The thinking was if the state elected its own representatives, they would adequately represent the interests of the state. Well, anyone who knows how SC's own legislature works, knows that state legislatures are prone to graph and corruption and the process for sitting a Senator was often as shady and corrupt as the state legislature. The main purpose of the 17th Amendment was to end corruption in the appointment of Senators. Not to attack the body itself, OR dilute the equality of state power the Senate enshrined in the legislative branch. Popular votes in each state would select Senators instead of appointments. BUT, the important thing is the Senate retained it's structure and function otherwise. Each of the 50 states still had two senators, and equal representation despite some states having little wealth or low populations and others having more wealth and higher populations. THAT WAS KEY.

Flash forward to today. Corruption is not the issue anymore. Today the issue with the Senate is that 50 states with equal representation in that body means the Senate does not accurately reflect the popular vote, overall, in the country. You can have 15 states vote yea on a bill in the senate and have a majority of Americans (comprised from those 15 states) marked down as a yea vote. But the vote nay votes from the 35 other states, which represent a minority of the population, will stop the bill from becoming law.

The 17th Amendment to make Senate elections reflect popular votes among the citizens of a state was NOT done to make the Senate as a whole reflective of the total American population. It was done to end the corruption inherent in the appointment process that had existed previously. Today the goal is to make the Senate reflect the popular vote OVERALL. Basically to put an end to the leverage of statehood over population. That's the difference. It's seductive to support for those too ignorant to understand the purpose of the Senate in our Constitution and why it is absolutely necessary. It acts with legislation much as the electoral college acts with elections.

Re: Most people today see things in 24-hour news cycles

Nov 8, 2018, 12:09 PM

I don't see Senators representing the interests of their state. They are representing the interests of their party. Citizens in states are primarily voting the interests of their party affiliation.

When I think of "representing the interest of the state" I think of the Senators representing the interests of their state government which is elected by citizens of that state.

The 17th amendments is a disaster for the Republic. The corruption concerns you pointed out should have been handled by the citizens of the state. SC is not unique to the issue of corruption. Part of the problem is that we continue to vote in professional career politicians. Term limits, while distasteful in some regards is one solution. The distaste is overcome by the positives.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hope she's ok.

Nov 8, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Hope she's ok. ]

Please note that this article, which is actually appears to be an opinion piece, was written in August 2016, months before the Presidential election.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll post this again for your edification as well

Nov 8, 2018, 10:42 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Here--This-was-107-years-ago-24429552

Nov 8, 2018, 9:48 AM

She isn't going anywhere until at least after 2020. She is looking fine anyway.

Nov 8, 2018, 10:25 AM

Not good at 85 years old. She's had cancer 3 times too.

We should pray for her.

Nov 8, 2018, 11:27 AM

As much as I want for her to retire I have absolutely no ill will toward her. I do not consider her the enemy, she's an honorable Justice who always did what she believed was the right thing to do, imo.

Replies: 26
| visibility 546
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic