Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question For T-Netters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Question For T-Netters

Sep 25, 2012, 9:44 AM

Just a thought I had after watching highlights and hearing commentary on Oregon-Arizona.

First of all, I am NOT trying to be a downer about our football program. I love Dabo and what this staff is trying to do. However, I noticed that Oregon is known for its spread offense (Chip Kelly's specialty). Alabama is known for its stout defense (Saban's specialty). GT is known for the option (Paul Johnson). What I'm wondering is, with this CEO-style coaching model that we're implementing, will we ever be able to have a real long-term identity as a team? I agree, the Chad and BV are awesome coordinators, but when they do well, they WILL leave. That's the nature of the game. By not having a head coach that has control over one side or the other, will we ever be able to develop that persona like Oregon or Alabama?

Once again, I have absolutely nothing against Dabo. If he keeps bringing in top-notch coordinators, that's awesome. My question was just if real continuity is even possible with our system? Just a thought I had

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

simple answer, not really

Sep 25, 2012, 9:50 AM

Once we lose Chad, I doubt we'll pick up anyone comparable. Even if it is an internal asst to replace him. The only CEO type person I know that has stayed consistent is Beamer. His offense are always the same no matter which OC he brings in. But he's had the luxury of having the same DC his whole career which really is their life blood.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: simple answer, not really

Sep 25, 2012, 9:52 AM

Kinda what I was thinking too. Dude is an absolute mad scientist when he gets a clipboard in his hands

Re: simple answer, not really

Sep 25, 2012, 10:12 AM

if anything dabo is more an offensive guy because he was a receivers coach and played the position, but remember he has never been a coordinator himself. as you say, most head coaches have an identity because they were coordinators. it is a unique situation because i dont know any other fbs program who has a head coach who has never been a coordinator. many questioned why bowden would recommend dabo as his replacement, when he never made him his off. coordinator, when given the chance several times. dabos strength is as a recruiter and i hope he is learning as a head coach, but i think when chad morris is gone dabo will stay with the wide open, no huddle, fast pace offense. as far as defense, we still have no identity.

the meeting between TDP & T.Bowden when he was let go...

Sep 25, 2012, 10:43 AM

...midseason was called to tell Tommy that he had to demote/fire Spence and that he needed to win the division, or he'd be gone too. and as I understand, TDP was merely the messenger to higher authorities. Tommy wouldn't do it. i'm not sure to what degree Bowden recommended Dabo, because Dabo was a fan favorite already. obviously, Brad Scott wasn't a valid interium choice because he was fired by the coots, and i don't know what ruled out Koenning, because the dfense was carrying the team. but Dabo was told at his first meeting w/ TDP that Spence had to go before there was a revolt from IPTAY, which he carried out as his first duty.

why did Clemson pass over Jimmye Laycock (OC) or Mickey Andrews (DC) in 1977 to hire a young Danny Ford (OL) when Charlie Pell left for Florida? even though i remember going to the Gator Bowl to see his first game against Ohio State, i don't know why Danny got the nod, but it was the best decision, which probably helped Dabo's candidacy.

beamer had 5 years as a DC and 5 years as a HC...

Sep 25, 2012, 9:59 AM [ in reply to simple answer, not really ]

@ Murray State before getting the VT HC job at his alma mater... and it took him almost 10 years to get it going. and another CEO coach, Bobby Bowden had about 5 years as OC and 5 years as HC at West Virginia before getting the job a FSU, which wasn't really a great job when he got it.

Coaching Division I football is more than coaching.

Sep 25, 2012, 9:50 AM

It is talent evaluation, recruiting, handling the media and fans, and tons of other things that are just like being the head of a modern business. Dabo is a great leader for this program and has hired the best people to help this program rise to the top. All programs/businesses lose people but they usually find people of the same quality to keep their program/business at the top. Dabo is doing a great job!

Hope that helps.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaching Division I football is more than coaching.

Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 AM

Sounds like a great description of this guy named Ford who was once the coach at Clemson. Worked pretty well for him.

Re: Question For T-Netters

Sep 25, 2012, 9:59 AM

I do expect our Coordinators to get great offers and to move on. I don't want any coaches that are not wanted by other programs, nor do I want any who don't want to improve their careers and be better for their families and for themselves. Simple fact is that if others covet what you have, you must have something pretty good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2012, 10:46 AM

Football games are won and lost with the up front guys. If you bring in the top quality players you will be successful, regardless of who is running the 'system'. Good offensive linemen and defensive linemen will WIN regardless of the coaches. Once you take control of the game, you are on the way!!! We haven't done that .. yet.

Sep 25, 2012, 2:48 PM

Players do play the game, but great players with poor coaches don't win much either. There has to be a boss to make the strategic decisions. It takes both to have a great program. Alabama without Nick Saban didn't look the same as it does with him.

Why don't you go ahead and say what you're thinking...

Sep 25, 2012, 10:19 AM

If you don't want Dabo as the Clemson coach, just say so!

Re: Why don't you go ahead and say what you're thinking...

Sep 25, 2012, 10:39 AM

Dude, really? I'm not against Dabo at all. Just something that came into my head when I heard the talking heads at ESPN talking about Oregon and their spread. Figured it was an interesting thought

Re: Not an altruism

Sep 25, 2012, 10:21 AM

Take FSU for example...

What is Jimbo Fisher's "specialty"? Offense / QB's

What is there team known for? Defense
The asst coaches have identities as well.

Another example is the SOS. Fun and gun. Look at what they do now. Focus on running game and defense.

sometime, you learn just as much about the other side of...

Sep 25, 2012, 10:52 AM

...the ball when you're a coordinator and study & strategize a lot of film. position coaches more focus on techniques and grading individual performances, coordinators have to look at the whole field, evaluate stengths, weaknesses and matchups.

You are asking if we have an identity

Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 AM

The answer is unknown. Best guess is we are a high-powered offense that tries to outscore it's opponents.

If that doesnt work, then we"ll get it fixed. Whatever IT is on that given Sunday film review.

This isnt a Dabo caused problem. Out identity has been unknown since the early 90's.

Teams that re-load have an identity. Teams that re-build do not. We use to re-load. Now we get it fixed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic