Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Mythical Steve Spurrier / Duke ACC Championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,989

The Mythical Steve Spurrier / Duke ACC Championship

Oct 24, 2012, 1:20 PM

Living here in SC, everyone has had to hear the resume of the legendary coach Spurrier multitudes of times. Quite possibly his greatest accomplishment on that vaulted resume is his 1989 ACC Championship at lowly Duke University.

I have some fun questions for you guys about that incredible 1989 year.

1) What bowl game did the ACC Champions play in 1989?

2) If the 1989 Steve Spurrier coached Duke team that finished 8-4 won the ACC Championship, why did they play in the All-American Bowl in Birmingham, Al?

3) What bowl game did Clemson win in 1989?

4) And what bowl did SC win that year?

Answers:

1) The Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida

2) Because the George Welch led Virginia team finished the year with a 10-3 record and won the ACC Championship that year. Destroying Duke head to head in the process 49-28. Virginia’s only blemish in ACC play was the 20-34 loss to Clemson.

3) Clemson finished their 10-2 season with a 45-0 shutout / blowout of SC in Williams Brice stadium and crushing West Virginia 27-7 in the Gator Bowl.

4)SC didn’t win a bowl in 1989. They didn’t even play in one that year. SC would not win a bowl game until 5 years later when Coach Brad Scott lifted their bowl curse with a win!

While I do admit that Spurrier did a good job at Duke, I also think that the job George Welch did at Virginia was even better. But I will save that story for another day! I do understand that it is sacrilegious to talk negatively about “The old ball coach” in this state, but the truth needs be represented every now and then in this world of fantasy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

similarly, take a gander at the 1969 ACC Champs

Oct 24, 2012, 1:34 PM

The mighty USC Gamecocks. This is their lone championship season.

For reasons I cannot identify, FIVE conference games were played at home in Columbia, only one away (at Wake).

They lost 3 non conference games (UGA, FSU, and TN). They did beat VT 17-16 in their other non-conf game.

They played in the Peach Bowl and lost to WVU 14-3.

Stellar stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: similarly, take a gander at the 1969 ACC Champs

Oct 24, 2012, 1:57 PM

Thanks! But I thought that they don't recognize that championship because it was an ACC championship. They much prefer 5th place rings!

well......

Oct 24, 2012, 2:05 PM

http://www.thestate.com/2009/10/18/988213/the-1969-gamecocks-the-one-the.html#.UIgtz8WHIhs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only there because it says 69***

Oct 24, 2012, 2:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: well...... Don't that beat all!!!***

Oct 24, 2012, 2:24 PM [ in reply to well...... ]

Yes it's prominently displayed in Williams-Brice

Oct 24, 2012, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Re: similarly, take a gander at the 1969 ACC Champs ]

I made a coot fan incredibly angry (after we won the ACC last year) just by asking "why do y'all have a huge sign for the 1969 ACC championship if it is such a crappy, weak conference that nobody should be proud of winning?" He didn't appreciate that too much.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: similarly, take a gander at the 1969 ACC Champs

Oct 24, 2012, 6:30 PM [ in reply to similarly, take a gander at the 1969 ACC Champs ]

So Scooter What bowl game did the ACC champs of 2011 play in and what was the score?

EXACTLY. Duke did NOT win the ACC in 1989, UVA did.

Oct 24, 2012, 2:37 PM

Both had 6-1 conference records & UVA beat Duke 49-28 that year so UVA won the ACC.

Yes, but how many times a week do we have to hear that

Oct 24, 2012, 3:15 PM

the OBS was such a great coach he won at Duke!!! I still say the job that Welch did at UVA was just as good if not better! UVA was flat terrible before Welch.

Weren't we 30-0 or something against UVA before Welch***

Oct 24, 2012, 3:33 PM

Virginia's rise was helped by our decline.***

Oct 24, 2012, 6:44 PM

So why was Duke

Oct 24, 2012, 3:44 PM

not listed as second in the ACC in 1989? If Virginia beat Duke and they both had the same win-loss record, I don't see why they were considered co-champions. I agree with you, in my mind VA is the ACC Champ.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,989
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic