Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's say your a salesman and you take over
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,103

Let's say your a salesman and you take over

Feb 25, 2016, 7:58 PM

an existing territory and that territory is doing 5 million a year in sales with a gross margin of 24%. In your first year on the job the territory stays at 5 million and the gross margin stays the same. In year two the territory has a decline of 20% in sales, but you lost a good customer so you get a pass. year three the territory recovers a little but you are still down 10% from when you took over. Year 4 you get the territory back to 5 million, but your margin is down to 22%. Year 5 your sales drop 15% and your margin is still at 22%. In year 6 your sales are at 4.5 million at 24%. My question does sales management give a 7th year to work that territory, because your a nice guy, or do they tell you that you've had enough time and they're making a change? I think sales management finds a new salesman, but that's just my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a better scenario...

Feb 25, 2016, 8:12 PM

Let's say a basketball team makes the NCAAT 3 years in a row. During that time, the program also plays for an ACC Championship, and wins more ACC games than any other school besides Duke and UNC. During that time, said team is nationally relevant.

For whatever reason, the coach decides to leave for another school.

A new coach comes in and inherits a winning program. New coach takes the team to the NCAAT the next year. However, the following 5 years, the team does not make a single NCAAT appearance. The biggest blow to the program seems to be the loss of one player to the NBA.

There seemed to be light at the end of the tunnel... as in year 6, the coach had the team 7-3 in the ACC, had already won several big games, and were even on the verge of being ranked. They also had the easiest remaining conference schedule at this point.

However, 6 games later... they are not even in the NCAAT discussion, and likely will not make it again for a 5th straight year, despite a miraculous run.

What would you do?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you make it sound so much worse.***

Feb 25, 2016, 8:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

sad thing is

Feb 25, 2016, 8:23 PM

It's entirely true and factual. There was a billboard in Winston Salem for over a year, paid for by fans, that urged the AD at wake to fire bzdelik. AD finally came to his senses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: sad thing is

Feb 25, 2016, 8:34 PM

#### people, I love firing a coach as much as anyone (bowden, leggett) but this isnt that. Give him till end of next year. You gave him subpar facilities for years, at least give him 1 year of almost equal facilities

Re: Here's a better scenario...

Feb 25, 2016, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Here's a better scenario... ]

I would have fired him 2 years ago, because it was obvious then he couldn't recruit and the program was on a downward swing.

Feb 26, 2016, 6:13 AM [ in reply to Here's a better scenario... ]

Snowtown, it depends on what the stated goals are for that team and school. Are they making progress toward those stated goals. I don't hold Oliver Purnell in as high a position as a coach as you possibly do. He wasn't trying to build a program at Clemson, IMHO, he was trying to get to his next job and he did, and was a miserable failure.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Here's a better scenario... ]

you keep saying the same thing with every post.

If that "territory" is in Clemson,

Feb 25, 2016, 8:41 PM

somebody has been fudging some numbers to get $5M in sales with a margin of 24% and then it falls off like you say. Is that the high point since the cutting in of this territory? If the territory was conceived in 1911-12 & these numbers weren't achieved until 1939 (when the territory led the "District") or 1980 (territory led the "Region"), the President would have some 'splaining to do to the stockholders. Maybe this territory didn't produce those numbers ($5M at 24%) and possibly CAN'T. It looks like the competition in that territory has a strong-hold on the sales, 15 "District" (ACC) titles and the "Region" title which led to leading the Nation in sales in 1981 and a runner-up in 2015. My point is this, I'm not convinced that this "territory" can play ball within the same territory as the Big Boys. The town/campus of Clemson is not big enough for both of them to be The Big Man on Campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Obviously the territory is too much for him.....

Feb 25, 2016, 8:52 PM

I'd transfer him to a smaller territory; a level where he was once quite successful. The Dayton position might come open because the salesman there has done very well and will probably be given a bigger territory after the annual convention in March.

I am a salesman.

Feb 25, 2016, 8:59 PM

And the company I work for has a 10% increase goal every month. Now I don't always hit it but you better be in the positive by the end of the year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am a salesman.

Feb 25, 2016, 9:03 PM

Another valid point

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

this is ridiculous... not even a meaningful comparison...

Feb 25, 2016, 9:58 PM

but hey, lack of logic never stopped TNET dumpers before.

the floor is yours sir.... please use logic to

Feb 25, 2016, 9:59 PM

state your case

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the floor is yours sir.... please use logic to

Feb 26, 2016, 11:17 AM

OK, easy enough...margins are mentioned, right? Did you mention why they were? Was it lack of sales performance...or possibly a recent price increase due to your suppliers increasing prices, which can drive margins down if you don't adjust the sales prices to customers...which in turn could be how you lose that big customer if you do and price yourself a little out of the market. Question though, did you bring in a new customer, that could pay dividends over time and make up that lost customer's revenue, but it may take a few years to get them to those levels? Did you lose valuable contacts in some accounts, or did a shift in management in those companies lead to a re-bid direction, which could attribute to the difference in competition for the contracts (i.e. recruiting if you want to look at it)...

But hey, let's not let other extenuating factors get in the way of a good business conversation.

Re: Let's say your a salesman and you take over

Feb 26, 2016, 6:07 AM

> an existing territory and that territory is doing 5
> million a year in sales with a gross margin of 24%.
> In your first year on the job the territory stays at
> 5 million and the gross margin stays the same. In
> year two the territory has a decline of 20% in sales,
> but you lost a good customer so you get a pass. year
> three the territory recovers a little but you are
> still down 10% from when you took over. Year 4 you
> get the territory back to 5 million, but your margin
> is down to 22%. Year 5 your sales drop 15% and your
> margin is still at 22%. In year 6 your sales are at
> 4.5 million at 24%. My question does sales management
> give a 7th year to work that territory, because your
> a nice guy, or do they tell you that you've had
> enough time and they're making a change? I think
> sales management finds a new salesman, but that's
> just my opinion.

It depends. Are most sales guys in similar jobs carrying the same amount of sales and profit margin or is this individual making sales at a rate of 2 to times what is considered normal? Has management changed their philosophy on what type of business they want? A lot of factors to consider but to me, the most important factor is, are we progressing against our stated goals, and yes, I do believe that Brownnell is progressing our program, slowly but surely.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 6:14 AM

Good opinion!I do think you need to give Brad one more season with the renovations
at Littlejohn,but if nothing happens next season,maybe you need to start looking
for a new salesman,all of which brings me to my idea of hiring one of Roy's or Mike's assistant
coaches.After all those guys are learning the trade of two of the best
'pitchmen' in college hoops.

I personally don't want anything that has been remotely

Feb 26, 2016, 6:40 AM

associated with the Tar Holes anywhere near our program. I might agree on the Coach K assistant part, even though they are not squeaky clean either. (But, compared to UNC, they look like Mother Theresa!)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 7:18 AM

I would have to ask what the rest of the market has done in that area.

If the area has underachieved comparitavely, I would then take the poor salesman and make him coach of the Clemson Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2016, 9:27 AM

Sales management is more than managing the numbers, it's about managing the potential and identifying what are the roadblocks to territory success.

- First you examine each major account and determine why sales and/or margin has dropped. Sometimes it's the rep, sometimes it's a product change by client and sometimes it's the infrastructure of the selling organization that is responsible for the decline. It's imperative to territory success that this is handled with a full scope of information, not macro numbers. All macro numbers indicate is there is a potential problem.

- Second you examine the next tier of clients, using the same criteria as above. Sometimes over management of major clients, results in deterioration of the mid-range and more profitable client segment.

- Finally you examine the growth potential of the territory with all factors in place and then you decide what the total revenue/margin potential is and create a plan to help grow the territory in a way that maximizes it's potential.

A good sales manager, will work with the sales representative and help guide them with a successful plan, and execution of plan. A bad one will not!

Frankly, I detest Sales Managers that don't do their job and only work off of macro numbers. To fire someone without determining the full picture is foolish and will result in the next person having the same failure if they report to the same Sales Manager.

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,103
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic