Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What does Dylan Thompson bring to the table vs. Conner Shaw?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

What does Dylan Thompson bring to the table vs. Conner Shaw?

Jul 14, 2014, 10:08 AM

Is he a better passer or runner? The Missouri game was his last significant action and that performance was less than ideal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think the greatest thing any coot quarterback has going

Jul 14, 2014, 10:10 AM

for them is spurrier's ability and willingness to make the offense fit their specific strengths.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Just wondering what his strengths are compared to

Jul 14, 2014, 10:14 AM

Shaw that might get prognosticators so excited.

spurrier is the difference. thompson has to be a game

Jul 14, 2014, 10:27 AM

manager first or he won't play for sos. if he does that, then spurrier will take what the defense gives him, move the chains and try to keep the other O off the field.

If he does that against us (again) then I sure hope

Jul 14, 2014, 10:43 AM

we fire Batson this time

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i know spurrier's superdoosh, but i got mad respect for

Jul 14, 2014, 10:48 AM

photo dannyw_zpse0e78092.jpg

that doosh's ability to win football games.

he took maybe the slowest, weakest armed, flat-footer in the history of college football and won a national title.

spurrier proves the game is won on the sidelines first and if our offensive guru spazzes again, i'll help pack joey's bags.

Don't forget that wuerffel won the Heisman too.***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:52 AM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

mhmm.***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:54 AM

He's a much better passer than Shaw, but not nearly as good

Jul 14, 2014, 10:12 AM

a runner.

Dylan is a great kid, known him and his family for a long time. I wish him well except against the Tigers.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

But he has a much weaker arm than Shaw...

Jul 14, 2014, 10:13 AM

and Shaw doesn't have strong arm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree that he has a weaker arm than Shaw.***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:38 AM

I have heard "he's a better passer," but not sure why people

Jul 14, 2014, 10:15 AM [ in reply to He's a much better passer than Shaw, but not nearly as good ]

say that. What are they hanging their hats on to make that statement?

Better decision maker than Shaw, but his arm is very weak...

Jul 14, 2014, 10:19 AM

he has no velocity on his passes. Which negates the better decision making.

But Shaw completed over 65% of his passes - Thompson only

Jul 14, 2014, 10:21 AM

a 55% completion percentage over his career, mostly in mopup against weak teams.

Perhaps they are expecting a huge improvement over the summer.

Re: But Shaw completed over 65% of his passes - Thompson only

Jul 14, 2014, 10:30 AM

but he has started games and played more than our starting qb, so I guess I will at least give him that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What the crap does that have to do with anything?!?!

Jul 14, 2014, 11:56 AM

nobody even mentioned Cole or compared him to either of the two qb's being discussed. Your coot favoritism is shining through!!

You should leave now, buhbye!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Which is where the weaker arm comes into play...

Jul 14, 2014, 10:35 AM [ in reply to But Shaw completed over 65% of his passes - Thompson only ]

it negates his decision making, because he doesn't have enough velocity on his passes.

Hold on- do you think Thompson has a stronger or weaker

Jul 14, 2014, 12:33 PM

arm than Shaw? I can't tell from your posts...

Tell 'em coot

Jul 15, 2014, 1:38 AM

sad

Tigernet just has it backwards. Shaw was a much better

Jul 14, 2014, 11:41 AM [ in reply to But Shaw completed over 65% of his passes - Thompson only ]

Decision maker but Thompson has a much stronger arm.

But I agree that throwing the ball farther and more often doesn't necessarily make someone a "better passer."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: I have heard "he's a better passer," but not sure why people

Jul 14, 2014, 12:48 PM [ in reply to I have heard "he's a better passer," but not sure why people ]

Read a lot of the responses to your question, unfortunately many responding have no clue. Here are a few points:

1) good game manager. Smart kid, knows the offense well
2) not a runner, he is mobile but you won't see the "Connor Shaw" runs.
3) much better vision, partly because he is taller. He will stand in the pocket and make the throw, ask Michigan
4) played great against Central Florida and Clemson. Came in during a number of other games when Shaw got hurt and did fine. Gets too much blame for Missoiuri struggles, we had a number of other issues that contributed. Shaw saved the day but Dylan wasn't bad.
5) has stronger arm than Shaw, but will but the ball up for grabs a time or two in every game. Has to improve on that one.

He has had the spring and summer to get the reps Shaw got before and has really cemented himself as the leader on offense. He is perfect for our offense this year. Good receivers, great tight ends, great backs, experienced line. We will be hard to stop on offense, if you think otherwise you are kidding yourself. Defense may be another story with our lack of CB experience, but we will put up a lot of points on everyone, assuming of course he stays healthy.

Serious answer to hopefully a serious question.

He might be a great kid.

Jul 14, 2014, 11:43 AM [ in reply to He's a much better passer than Shaw, but not nearly as good ]

But I hope he loses every game he plays from here on....

He isn't a runner, and he has very a weak arm...

Jul 14, 2014, 10:12 AM

I don't see him lasting as the starter for the whole season. Dinking and dunking isn't going work as full time starter.

The question is, can he beat Clemson, AT Clemson?

Jul 14, 2014, 10:16 AM

Oh, wait . . .

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Of course, since that time, he has struggled mightily at

Jul 14, 2014, 10:19 AM

Missouri.

The win at Clemson after coming in for Shaw seems to be his claim to fame.

Re: Of course, since that time, he has struggled mightily at

Jul 14, 2014, 10:27 AM

He started that game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct.***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:31 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes, he did and the only points they scored were after Shaw

Jul 14, 2014, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Of course, since that time, he has struggled mightily at ]

came in in the 4th quarter.

Shaw didn't play in that game against us. HTH***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:39 AM

It doesn't matter.***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:51 AM

Re: It doesn't matter.***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:59 AM

what don't matter? IT ALL MATTERS! we must stop that 5 game streak! we have to take back this STATE! dabo says it is not a rivalry, but a domination, but he33 lets get back to dominating them. I wonder if dabo considers Georgia a rivalry since they have DOMINATED us? just win and that will shut them fools up and set the Clemson world back in it's proper orbit.

Does anyone else loller when he tries so hard to act like

Jul 14, 2014, 11:02 AM

he's a Clemson fan?

Re: It doesn't matter.***

Jul 14, 2014, 11:02 AM [ in reply to It doesn't matter.*** ]

The hayell are you talking about? You has the confuse somethin' terrible...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty sure he's the only

Jul 14, 2014, 11:03 AM

person still referring to the Mizoo game....

Re: Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty sure he's the only

Jul 14, 2014, 11:08 AM

No I don't think that's it.

He said Thompson came in for Shaw in the Clemson game. Then when we let him know Thompson started that game he said Shaw came in in the 4th (Mizzou). I think he has the confuse all the way around. That or he's gotten into Lbu's old whiskey stash.

You are right. Conner Shaw came in in the 3rd quarter with

Jul 14, 2014, 11:21 AM

6:46 left to replace an ineffective and scoreless Thompson in the Missouri game.

Just not sure how anything you have pointed out changes anything.

Re: You are right. Conner Shaw came in in the 3rd quarter with

Jul 14, 2014, 11:33 AM

he was pointing out you were WRONG! you did not say the CORRECT thing! Thompson DID start at mizzou! he also was correct that shaw did NOT play at Clemson two years ago! Thompson played the entire game and won the game for the COOTS on a 4th and 19 run! ONCE AGAIN YOU WERE WRONG!!!! I hope you now UNDERSTAND! and it does MATTER! never forget when you are WRONG, admit it and bow down to those who know more than YOU!!!! now do you understand?

You never pointed out that Thompson had a yeast infection

Jul 14, 2014, 11:39 AM

for the Missouri game.

Do you think that affected his performance?

The Clemson game from 2 years ago is his claim to fame. The Missouri game and poor career completion percentage is ignored.

Re: You never pointed out that Thompson had a yeast infection

Jul 14, 2014, 11:45 AM

Yep, you're still confused lol

Jul 14, 2014, 12:13 PM [ in reply to You never pointed out that Thompson had a yeast infection ]

you are not going to admit you were wrong are you chucktown boy? that's ok, the truth does not matter to many here! I don't know about thompson's yeast problem, but it didn't hurt him in death valley, and you sure have your g-string in a wad about saying you were wrong. keep playing it off and changing the subject, and hope your ignorance will go away! hahah.

Jul 14, 2014, 8:09 PM

The #### lover isnt even trying to hide it anymore.

null

Tell 'em leadcoot

Jul 14, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: You are right. Conner Shaw came in in the 3rd quarter with ]

sad, very sad

The dinking and dunking stuff won't work this year***

Jul 14, 2014, 10:19 AM [ in reply to The question is, can he beat Clemson, AT Clemson? ]

I hope you're right. I sure do expect our defense to be

Jul 14, 2014, 10:39 AM

significantly better than it was then.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: The question is, can he beat Clemson, AT Clemson?

Jul 14, 2014, 10:27 AM [ in reply to The question is, can he beat Clemson, AT Clemson? ]

tell um coot! we should have won that game. 4th and 19 and we let that weak arm, slow, kid pick up it up to win. still have that picture in my mind, that will not go away.

Tell 'em leadcoot

Jul 14, 2014, 12:19 PM

sad

Re: The question is, can he beat Clemson, AT Clemson?

Jul 14, 2014, 10:32 AM [ in reply to The question is, can he beat Clemson, AT Clemson? ]

if some of you #### lovers will recall we dropped 4 int's thrown right into our hands. our d was the problem that game. but hey, congrats to the ##### for taking advantage

Exacly....

Jul 14, 2014, 10:42 AM

Pretty much every QB we faced that season had little trouble picking apart the defense. Thompson was no exception.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree - and of course if our D plays well it makes

Jul 14, 2014, 10:56 AM

a huge difference, but they didn't, and Thompson did pick us apart. I expect our defense to be much better this time. I'm just pointing out the obvious, which some like to gloss over of seem to have forgotten. It won't be like some new, green, scared scrub without any talent and no experience will be at the helm; regardless of the reasons, he has already beaten us in Death Valley. I'm sure our coaches haven't forgotten and won't take him lightly, but instead will use that as motivation which will hopefully contribute to a much different result.

- H. L. Mencken

Conner Shaw had a unique ability....

Jul 14, 2014, 10:22 AM

to simply will his team to victory. This intangible isn't something that can be coached or taught. A player either possesses it or they don't. Given the broad subjectivity of evaluating players in general and regardless of skill levels, it is in this area where Shaw's absence will have the greatest impact IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like Spurrier hid Connor Shaws weaknesses...

Jul 14, 2014, 10:38 AM

like he does with all of his QB's. Spurrier never let Shaw pass a lot. Spurrier's plan was TOP. Spurrier adapted his play calling to cover up Shaw's weaknesses. Spurrier knew he couldn't win like he did at Florida passing the ball a lot. So he depended on the run game, his defense, and time of possession. Spurrier made Shaw look a whole lot better than Shaw actually is.

I think you will see Dylan under center and play action pass

Jul 14, 2014, 10:25 AM

will work much better because of Mike Davis and the running game behind an excellent offensive line.

Look for SOS to use Pharoh Cooper to shake things up.

Thompson won't be called-on to go out and wins games

Jul 14, 2014, 10:28 AM

for this team. He will be called-on to simply manage the offense, get the ball in the hands of the play makers, and not make costly mistakes.

Re: Thompson won't be called-on to go out and wins games

Jul 14, 2014, 10:36 AM

We' better pop Mike Davis early and hard. He could be the best RB in the SEC.

Nah...

Jul 14, 2014, 10:40 AM

he just has the benefit of running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

W-w-w-what?! Gurley. End of story.

Jul 14, 2014, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Thompson won't be called-on to go out and wins games ]

Gurley scares me a whole lot more than Mike Davis.

Re: What does Dylan Thompson bring to the table vs. Conner Shaw?

Jul 14, 2014, 11:26 AM

Shaw was definitely the more mobile and experienced QB but Dylan is taller and sees the field better. And don't think for a second Dylan can't put zip on the ball, he's thrown it in tight spaces plenty. Consistency is what he needs to work on but a lot of that was due to him constantly looking for the big play last year since he made so many the year before.

If Dylan can learn to get the ball out quickly like Spurrier wants he could have a huge year behind a quality o-line and stable of really good RB's. He didn't really play that poorly against Mizzou, Davis fumbled twice in the red zone (once on inside the 10) but Spurrier knew that if we were going to have a chance we needed a spark and Shaw came in and played probably his best game ever.

The one thing Dylan has is experience in hostile environments and the fact that he's the clear #1 guy going into both Spring and now fall. Much like Stout if he goes down there's talent behind him but they are all young and inexperienced so hopefully they will both stay healthy (I never like to see any player from any team go down with season ending injuries but I do love a good hit).

Unfortunately he's 1-0 in Death Valley.

Jul 14, 2014, 12:17 PM

We need to shut him down.

Jul 14, 2014, 12:21 PM

Some hair?

point***

Jul 14, 2014, 12:26 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Re: point***

Jul 14, 2014, 12:28 PM

Another year of college eligibility ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: point***

Jul 14, 2014, 12:54 PM

The view from Columbia is that Thompson has a stronger arm than Shaw but can be inconsistent in his release. This causes some balls to float or be in the dirt, this is most noticeable when he throws to the left.

Thompson goes through reads better, he will hit second or third options where Shaw would simply tuck and run.

He throws the ball earlier on the deep pass. Shaw held on to the ball too long on long throws

He is not nearly the runner as Shaw but to his credit he reads the zone read option very well. He will get yardage just not the chunks that Shaw got.

"That boys good".

Jul 14, 2014, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: What does Dylan Thompson bring to the table vs. Conner Shaw? ]

photo A80AE898-D1B3-452C-BFB0-971197D0037A_zpsie6b95tv.gif

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Jul 14, 2014, 2:41 PM

Dylan Thompson is basically a slightly better Blake Mitchell. He would be a pretty good starter for most schools and coaches, but I just don’t think he can deliver the perfection Spurrier demands on a week-to-week and sometimes even play-to-play basis. He's got a decent arm in comparison to Connor Shaw, but not only does he lack Shaw’s wheels, he also lacks his mental toughness. The Ole Ball Sack will have him a complete head-case by mid-season, and if he drops a couple games early (A&M , UGA or Mizzu perhaps)SC may have a full blown QB circus going on by the time they head into that off-week after the UK game. With no real talent behind Thompson, the second half of the season could get ugly with trips to Auburn, UF & Clemson looming ahead.

Jul 14, 2014, 3:18 PM

> if he drops a couple games early (A&M , UGA or Mizzu perhaps)SC may have a full blown QB circus going on by the time they head into that off-week after the UK game. With no real talent behind Thompson, the second half of the season could get ugly with trips to Auburn, UF & Clemson looming ahead.

The same could be said about Stout. Neither of our teams have any proven depth behind the starter and if either team has do go with the next guy for any reason the season then becomes more of a "building for the future" type of season.

Jul 14, 2014, 3:20 PM

SPEAK FOR yourself coot. stout will be fine and if not we have the number 1 rated freshman in the country waiting in the wings.

Jul 14, 2014, 3:35 PM

Yes but HE'S A FRESHMAN. If you don't think he will have some growing pains, especially on the road, then you're just kidding yourself. We have a RS Freshman by the name of Connor Mitch who was a high 4* and was invited to a second elite 11 competition since he came in second place behind Hackenberg (you know, that #1 QB that went to Penn St) in the one he went to. Well, he declined the offer since he was already committed to us and a EE. BUT, I am a realist and know that any young QB will need experience adjusting to the college level.

Jul 14, 2014, 3:45 PM

Coot-L-aid is staining a few 'staches over on this thread . Dylan Thompson has had one game (Clemson '12) that he can hang his hat on , other than that you are looking at a kid that barely avoids losing his Spurrier-time in Columbia.
Good lowered with all the praise for this guy ...wait til he power vomits against TAMU on national tv and then tell us all how great he is and stuff. Cocky might be suiting up in the second half of the UgA game , a second loss in my opinion . Dylan Thompson ? We all know he is and has been a one hit wonder.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 14, 2014, 4:03 PM

With all due respect he has more game experience that Stout. Neither of us really know exactly what we will be getting from our QB's this year. Clemson starts off the season @ Georgia and @ Fla St. If Stout struggles and Clemson goes 1-2 with North Carolina coming to town do you start the true Freshman or stick with Stout? I can guarantee if we go 1-2 Spurrier will make a change in a heartbeat but that's not necessarily a good thing unless your looking to the future.

Jul 14, 2014, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: What does Dylan Thompson bring to the table vs. Conner Shaw? ]

If you had read the headline of the thread you would have noticed that it asked "What doesThompson bring to the table in comparison to Connor Shaw?" Nowhere does it mention Stoudt or Clemson's QB situation.

But since you mentioned it, I happen to agree. After Stoudt we are equally thin in talent and experience and we're both headed towards 9-3, 8-4 type seasons.

Jul 14, 2014, 7:18 PM

Dabo and Morris will stick with Stoudt as long as he is healthy. I think we are 3-1 after the UNC home ACC opener ...and our backup QB situation is really strong ...and I think Wayson plays some in clean up as it goes along. May play an entire half against SC State.
Thompson is on the choker at Scar , no doubt he will be yanked during an early loss . It is the Spurrier way.

DB23

Jul 14, 2014, 8:38 PM

TigerDug,
3-1 might be a bit over optimistic but not out of the question. All depends on the UGA game which I have us as slight underdogs in. Even if we're 1-2 heading into UNC I don't see Stoudt getting yanked unless hurt or he just plays that bad. If he plays marginal those first three games, loses two and then also struggles against UNC and again against NCSt I think we may see Watson come in the second half against the Wolfpack and start the next week against Louisville.

As for Dylan Thompson, he gets the yank after his first bad half or possibly quarter and that could be as early as A&M , ECU or UGA. But typical Spurrier it won't be a permanent benching and he'll get multiple other chances unless their backup(s) just play lights out. The chances of that happening are slim to none and we'll see two, possibly three or four QBs rotating in and out all season. Like I said, Thompson will be a head case by midseason, but SC will still be pretty good on offense all year due to their strong running game.

He normally brings slaw and pickles.

Jul 15, 2014, 7:29 AM

Honestly, I think he brings a smarter game. Not as mobile.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2014, 7:33 AM

He loves playing at Death Valley?

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic