Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lol. Just got an email from 1st grade son's teacher
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Lol. Just got an email from 1st grade son's teacher

Oct 21, 2020, 2:39 PM
NewMath.jpg(47.9 K)

Last night son of had math homework. He pulls out his 300-page 1st grade math workbook and we go to the chapter.

The homework tonight, in my opinion, is much easier than last night. We truly struggled with that lesson. The FORMAT was confusing. As your child works on their homework tonight, PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY DRAW THEIR BUNNY HOPS LIKE THEY DID IN CLASS TODAY.

Thank you for your perseverance! Together, we will improve.
PLEASE look at this example to help understand what they will be doing in their homework.

It's that freaking new math. I shitchuknot it was 8-5. That's three. Now wife of has an advanced degree in mathematics (statistics and calculus), and creates algorithms to statistically analyze data for a large government contractor. She had a full ride to Clemson. Graduated in 3 years, and never made a B.

Suffice it that she knows her math. I deferred to her when I saw it. She then had to sit down and it took her a good 5-10 minutes to figure out what they #### they were asking for, in order for our 6yo to answer the question correctly. He already knew 8-5=3. Took him 2 seconds to get the answer. Took a math genius 5-10 minutes to figure out the process, decipher it, then decipher the instructions, and learn HERSELF how to do 1st grade "math".

Now I know there are college educated parents who had no clue how to divine the proper process to arrive at a very simple answer. I feel for the teacher who has to explain this crap to 6yo's. We discovered "starts at" means you start at the LOWER number, then "count on" to 8 is the number of numbers you count UP TO to reach the larger number. The "count on" number is the effing answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happens when the problem is

Oct 21, 2020, 2:42 PM

84,329 - 29,669= ???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got a pencil and a football field?

Oct 21, 2020, 2:43 PM

I can draw the answer right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Going to be a sh!tload of bunnies hopping...***

Oct 21, 2020, 2:55 PM [ in reply to What happens when the problem is ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whell you start at 29,669 and count up until 84,329***

Oct 22, 2020, 8:41 AM [ in reply to What happens when the problem is ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, it sucks. We had a conference with our 1st grader's

Oct 21, 2020, 2:46 PM

teacher and she said to just let him do it his way. He is way ahead on math. He learned from his sister who is two years older. That numberline and math fact family crap is just bullshit.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FML, he is in the 2nd grade. Number line crap was last year

Oct 21, 2020, 3:17 PM

I'm a terrible parent.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw the number fraction lines

Oct 21, 2020, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Yeah, it sucks. We had a conference with our 1st grader's ]

I'm still pissed off about that lesson from COVID quarantine.

pigs of 1st grade son's teacher?***

Oct 21, 2020, 2:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: pigs of 1st grade son's teacher?***

Oct 22, 2020, 2:23 PM

:)

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can I blame this on standardized testing?***

Oct 21, 2020, 2:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we're living that same thing.***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happened to I have 8 apples....

Oct 21, 2020, 3:13 PM

ate 5.....how many do you have left?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Discriminates against folks what kaint read.***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The future is going to be hilarious, I can already see a

Oct 21, 2020, 3:16 PM

team of engineers and architects overseeing major construction projects out there hopping like bunnies to complete their calculations. We'll have a nuclear reactor melting down or something and the folks in charge will be scrambling to watch youtube videos of Count von Count from Sesame Street trying to figure out what steps to take.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll have one ####### who insists on using an app in

Oct 21, 2020, 3:19 PM

a headband 1000 other devises can do it easier.

I remember doing 2-3 page calculus problems

Oct 21, 2020, 3:22 PM [ in reply to The future is going to be hilarious, I can already see a ]

in college. I can't imagine how you can even get there with all the bunnies in the way.

Re: The future is going to be hilarious, I can already see a

Oct 21, 2020, 3:23 PM [ in reply to The future is going to be hilarious, I can already see a ]

"New math" already had calculators in the elementary school 30 years ago and there is a whole generation who can't do math without a calculator and usually screw that up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will admit I still am weak on fractions.

Oct 21, 2020, 3:27 PM

So is .5 or 1/2 like just the bunny head and ears, or a headless bunny?

I still have my TI-83 from high school, but from what I

Oct 21, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: The future is going to be hilarious, I can already see a ]

recall they really limited when you were allowed to use it. "You won't always have a calculator with you" was the lie they peddled.

At the rate we're going, in 10 years math will be looked at like some sort of voodoo magic that is to be shunned. Practicers of math will be treated like barbarians.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suck at math

Oct 21, 2020, 3:31 PM

But I could tell that’s what they wanted when I looked at the picture. Maybe new math is for people who suck at math?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. I'm not seeing the issue with the example.

Oct 21, 2020, 3:35 PM

I think the overall lesson behind it is to teach the relationship between addition and subtraction. That's why both are included under the example.

Correct***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:37 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll come back next year and show how they expand this

Oct 21, 2020, 3:39 PM

for 2nd and third graders. It gets ridiculous.

Mine are in 7th and 4th, so I already know***

Oct 21, 2020, 3:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6th here.

Oct 21, 2020, 3:46 PM

I can give you examples from his workbook. He's calculating angles on a circle graph from word problems.

The whole common core math stuff is different because

Oct 22, 2020, 8:17 AM [ in reply to I suck at math ]

it's about understanding why 2+2=4 instead of just rote memorization that 2+2=4 because that's just the way it is.

By understanding these basic math rules and why it be like that, it will make the harder math courses easier.

At least that's the theory.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I'm good at math and saw instantly what they were

Oct 22, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to I suck at math ]

trying to get across and really don't have a problem with it. Addition and subtraction are the same thing. I often do addition backwards on my calculator and just reverse the sign and then just subtract instead of add or visa versa. It saves time.

For instance I might add up some dimensions and get 32 feet and want to subtract that from 50 feet. I'll just subtract 50 feet and get -18 feet. If I am done I reverse the sign. If I want to add another 50 feet I'll just subtract 50 to get -68 knowing that the sign is reversed.

Much like your wife...

Oct 21, 2020, 3:44 PM

I don't think I made a 'B' while at Clemson either...my parents were ever hopeful though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have graduated with a 3.6 GPA

Oct 21, 2020, 4:09 PM

BUT FOR 2 math courses ;)

Just wait until 4th grade... long division

Oct 21, 2020, 4:28 PM

I heard wailing coming from the homework table, and my husband cussing.

They had her drawing symbols and dividing them into piles to represent the division among other torture methods. It took me a solid 30 minutes to teach myself the methods, and like your wife I have a degree and work in a math based field.

When I showed her my way to do divisision (she resisted, the teacher had prepared them for deviant parents) she exclaimed "that's SO much faster."

Curious as to that problem you are talking about...

Oct 21, 2020, 5:46 PM

did it involve breaking blocks apart?

Like dividing 368 by 16?

You start with 16 circles or groups.

Break the hundreds into tens so you have 36 ten blocks (30 tens in the 300 hundred and 6 tens in the 60) and then put each of those blocks into one of the 16 until they run out evenly. This has 2 (tens) blocks in each of the 16 circles/groups with 4 tens left over.

Break the 4 tens into ones (40 ones) and add them to the 8 ones which gives us 48 ones. Place them in each of the circles/groups until gone which results in three ones in each circle/group.

The answer then is the 2 ten blocks and 3 ones blocks which equals 23.

Just wondering if that's the method they were using to teach the long division?

Not breaking blocks apart but assigning symbols to different

Oct 22, 2020, 3:42 PM

place values and dividing them equally among piles representing the divisor. 100s were assigned squares, tens were lines and ones were circles. She then had to go back and prove her work my multiplying it out and adding it all back together.

11yo informed me tonight that our 1st grader is learning it

Oct 21, 2020, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Just wait until 4th grade... long division ]

differently than he learned it just 5 years ago. He says his way of drawing 10 million circles and then filling them in or crossing them out was far easier than this crap. So this is a change from ridiculous to ludicrous.

I think when our 2yo gets into first grade they will have gone full-on plaid.

"if it ain't broke, don't f###in fix it!"***

Oct 21, 2020, 4:46 PM

Teachers would LOVE not to fix things that ain't broke.

Oct 21, 2020, 5:00 PM

But if we don't fix things that ain't broke, how will the majority of education administrators justify their jobs to government oversight?

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all stupid, went thru all this with my son about 15 or so years ago

Oct 21, 2020, 9:22 PM

Math major here... can do advanced calculus for breakfast and chit it out before lunch... stoned and on ludes. Kids today have no chance. It's sad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

That is because they make ludes illegal.

Oct 22, 2020, 8:56 AM

What ########.

It's not that it's wrong, it's that it's different.

Oct 22, 2020, 8:57 AM

Our brains were wired from kindergarten to do it differently. This system looks designed more to understand the mechanism for why it's 3, as opposed to just memorizing that it's 3, which is pretty much how we were taught.

FWIW, I always refused to memorize the times tables

Oct 22, 2020, 2:51 PM

because I could work it out in my head fast enough I didn't have to. I think I maybe taught myself new math inadvertently.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I gotta say, I get the "new" math....

Oct 22, 2020, 2:46 PM

it's geared around the goal of teaching kids to do more math in their heads.

When you already "know" the answer as an adult, it seems silly to work out number lines and blocks and so on, but after you do it for a while it is clear what the end game is. Everyone's mind works a little bit differently. When I do math in my head, it mirrors, more or less, with how kids are being taught now.

Only draw back for me is wife-of is bad at math to begin with and has no chance with "new" math, so all math duties fall to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic