Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Student Perspective on attendance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Student Perspective on attendance

Mar 4, 2014, 12:42 PM

For the most part, I agree with everything people are saying about the low student attendance. I'm doing mechanical engineering here and I still have plenty of time to go to basketball and baseball games.So I don't buy the "I don't have time" excuse. I've been to most and will go tonight. But that is purely because I love my school and I love sports. Some students, like my roommate, aren't big into sports so he will go if a team here is good. For example he went to every football game. When our basketball team is winning, students will be there. Sad, but it's true. One thing that effects it is key stupid losses. Notre Dame, Wake Forest. 2 ACC games we should have won and choked and lost. That really makes students have the attitude of " If the team isn't going to try their best, I will not either" luckily My friends and I do not have that attitude. Also, Clemson is beginning to get many more out of state students that don't grow up a tiger fan like myself. To get those people involved, the team MUST be successful. But from my perspective even if we lose tonight and Saturday, this season is a success. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state

Mar 4, 2014, 12:44 PM

students not being fans...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state

Mar 4, 2014, 12:45 PM

My point is we are starting to get more out of state students. That's true. You can't argue that. Some are Clemson fans, but most Are not and it's hard to get them involved.

Mar 4, 2014, 12:46 PM [ in reply to I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

Just out of curiosity, did you grow up a Clemson fan in North Carolina?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state

Mar 4, 2014, 12:49 PM

No I'm actually from Easley. So 15 min away. I could be completely wrong but I have met a lot people from out of state that don't care about Clemson athletics

Re: Re: I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state

Mar 4, 2014, 12:51 PM

I meant Soccerkrazy. I agree that some out of state kids come in and don't care about Clemson athletics. I had classes with kids who were from NC and were UNC fans, or were from Tennessee and were UT fans. I would venture a guess that most of the out of state students don't fall into that category, obviously.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was replying to me pso95...and I have personally known

Mar 4, 2014, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

more out-of-state Clemson fans than in-state Clemson fans...so your little theory is bunked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was replying to me pso95...and I have personally known

Mar 4, 2014, 1:13 PM

What? You know more out of state Clemson fans than in-state? You must either A. live out of state B. been out of state yourself and hung out with all the other Yankees or C. making s*** up to make your point

While at Clemson, majority of people I knew that were

Mar 4, 2014, 1:15 PM

as diehard of a fan as me were not from South Carolina...

Also, did you know that everyone out-of-state isn't a "Yankee"?

Re: While at Clemson, majority of people I knew that were

Mar 4, 2014, 1:16 PM

Not all of them but they are growing at an alarming rate!

Honestly

Mar 4, 2014, 1:17 PM [ in reply to While at Clemson, majority of people I knew that were ]

Most people from South Carolina have no real concept of basketball, because at best they grew up playing church league and maybe watched their football coach try and coach the WR's and RB's "basketball" during the winter. That's why you get guys like X Tiger who just want to watch an And 1 mix tape game because he can't understand anything else.

Re: He was replying to me pso95...and I have personally known

Mar 4, 2014, 3:41 PM [ in reply to He was replying to me pso95...and I have personally known ]

How does that debunk his theory?

Also, considering there's a lot more people living outside SC than in it, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more out-of-state fans than in-state fans. A better question is what percentage of out-of-state students care about Clemson sports vs in-state students. And even then, a lot of in-state students go to Clemson because it's in-state, and therefore a lot cheaper than going out-of-state. I don't know if it's really possible to know if there's a direct correlation.

one of the biggest Clemson fans in recent memory

Mar 4, 2014, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

Pierre Bo-Chi Tong was from Massachusetts.

Several New Jersians I knew were big time Clemson fans. I actually think out of state students are sometimes more likely to be big fans because they chose Clemson out of many many schools through a long process. They adopt it as their own. While some in-staters just go to Clemson because well it's the local school.

Re: one of the biggest Clemson fans in recent memory

Mar 4, 2014, 2:26 PM

I completely agree with that. It was that way for me, and I always thought my out of state friends were more into the sports than the in-state fans. I don't believe that has anything to do with the problems. It is much more about key losses, the type of system, and other factors.

I think the hugely successful football team also hurts attendance as well. When I was at Clemson from 07-11, the football team underachieved quite a bit and bball was a bit better, so the excitement was high. But when football is doing awesome, people are more susceptible to just being ok with not taking basketball that seriously. Stupid logic, but I believe it happens. The expectations go up, and people lose interest when we aren't amazing.

I grew up in the DC area and wasn't a fan of any college

Mar 4, 2014, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

sports outside of the USNA (my dad is a Naval Academy grad)...and even then it wasn't a huge college following.

As soon as I went to Clemson I converted and became a diehard.

the two greatest tigers in recent memory

Mar 4, 2014, 12:49 PM [ in reply to I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

are both from the state of florida. throw in our record breaking qb being from virginia and all i can do is just smfh.

i get juiced to see the luv spiller pays back to clemson tenfold. i imagine sammy, tajh & many others will continue to do the same.

siriusly? there is something significantly wrong with some of what i'm seeing from clemson's students.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the two greatest tigers in recent memory

Mar 4, 2014, 1:15 PM

Those are players not students. We have many players leave the state to go play at other schools. Just because Sam Montgomery went to LSU doesn't make me an LSU fan.. What's your point?

serious clark? i'm pretty sure they're students too &

Mar 4, 2014, 1:26 PM

actually first or they no play their sport of choice.

they had many other opportunities, spiller was a gator fan, but chose clemson and continues to give clemson his all.

not sure where other out-of-state student's passions or 'loyalties' lay growing up, but it's a bit absurd to suggest they have no reason to support clemson while they're attending.

the out-of-staters i mentioned chose clemson because it's clemson and offers something unique, just as many other out-of-staters before have put forth of their decision.

there's something in those hills, right?

i have no idea what sam montgomery attending lsu out of hs has to do with a clemson discussion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: serious clark? i'm pretty sure they're students too &

Mar 4, 2014, 1:32 PM

Montgomery attending LSU has as much to do with this particular argument as Spiller and Watkins attending Clemson. You are the one who brought up athletes from out-of-state high schools, which was an illogical argument in the first place.

because spiller, an out-of-state student, attending then

Mar 4, 2014, 1:41 PM

continuing to support clemson with his all isn't germane to a discussion about clemson's out-of-state student population and why that hampers clemson in any way?

sam montgomery attending lsu is lsu's issue if he or they were to care. idk, idc.

[spiller's not alone as an out-of-state student giving back to clemson...]

Re: because spiller, an out-of-state student, attending then

Mar 4, 2014, 1:48 PM

Yes, your entire point with athletes is completely off-subject here. IIRC, the original point was "out of state students don't grow up as tiger fans."

The athletes didn't come here to watch basketball games, they came here because Clemson was a good fit for them for a variety of reasons. I'm sure Tajh, who decommitted from two schools before choosing Clemson, didn't grow up passionate about Clemson sports.

Athletes choose what school they attend on an entirely different basis than a regular student. So I'm confused as to why you brought them up.

Oh and by the way, do you not remember when the entire football team showed up to the Duke game, took up an entire section, didn't make a sound, and promptly left at halftime? Yeah, I guess they really do care.

and the out-of-state students didn't come here to watch

Mar 4, 2014, 1:54 PM

basketball games, they came here because clemson was a good fit as well.

i would say athletes have even less of a reason to maintain their bonds with clemson, yet there they are, steadfast in their loyalties and passions.

maybe clemson the university should take lessons from our football staff, because they seem to do a fantastic job in fostering the passion for clemson that most clemson students once shared and seems to have been lost. it's been seen at football games as well.

i don't get why that's so hard to fathom, but i understand the depth of the topic might be beyond some.

I think what people mean by that

Mar 4, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

is students from South Carolina are more likely to be fans of Clemson growing and maybe going to some games and therefore will continue to support athletics by going to most games as students.

Not saying that out of state students can't be just as loyal, not the case in my experience, camped out with a guy from Jersey that was also a student manager with the football team and he was super into all things Clemson. Simply that in state students are more likely to place importance on going to games

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Mar 4, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to I was with you right up until you mentioned out-of-state ]

Slightly different scenario as I wasn't part of an out of state situation. But I went to Wofford and only attended one basketball game and that was only because they were playing College of Charleston when Coach Kresse was coach.

However, I would travel to Clemson for basketball and football games. :) Go Tigers!

The solution is to leverage football

Mar 4, 2014, 1:53 PM

Since so many more students attend football games, award points for attending other sporting events (i.e., basketball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc). The points can be redeemed for better seats (or seats period) at football games. Problem solved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The solution is to leverage football

Mar 4, 2014, 2:13 PM

I feel like, with the Roar rewards program, they have an easy way to start this, but they gotta stop people just walking up to LittleJohn, checking in on the app, and leaving. I see that happening at all sporting events, and that's ridiculous.

It wouldn't be subject to the user to do it, it would be a

Mar 4, 2014, 2:14 PM

scan or swipe of the student ID and tracked on Clemson's servers.

Exactly....

Mar 4, 2014, 2:34 PM

and most students aren't going go through the trouble of walking all the way over the LJ, DKS or Jervey just to swipe their ID and then leave. Although, an easy solution would be to swipe as you exit which can't take place until 3/4 of the way through the event in question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The "no child left behind" generation gets upset when our

Mar 4, 2014, 2:18 PM

team loses a game. They think everyone should get a medal.

we have only lost 1 home game...

Mar 4, 2014, 2:52 PM

so that is not an excuse that Clemson is not winning. We have an overall winning record and an ACC winning record.

Duke is having a down year, yet those students go and most of their students are out of state.

You say to get those students involved the team must be successful. These students must not know the meaning of success. 18-10(9-7) is successful.

They can not use that excuse since Clemson only has 1 loss at home.

But I will give you kudos for attending.

Not enough Lipstick to cover this Pig!

Mar 4, 2014, 3:04 PM

I just don't think you can put lipstick on this pig.... If you look at the numbers.....

Regarding the students:
Littlejohn seats 10,325 people. From the picture on Tigernet, the students get about 3 sections in the lower deck and what appears to be 3 sections in the upper deck. Counting up the seats, you get about 800 tickets. If you throw in the bleachers on the floor we are probably talking about 1,000 tickets for students.

Now you have to adjust for the band, cheerleaders, and rally cats. The band gets about 168 tickets and the cheer and dance squad get at least 32 or so. So you take away 200 tickets from that number. So we are looking at about 800 tickets for the average student. Personally if I were a student, I would say that is not enough tickets.

That said, we cant fill this section. Now you can blame it on the "out of state students", which I think is crazy. But if you say that no out of state student goes to a game that leaves roughly 9400 students that are home grown from good ole South Carolina. And of that 9400, we only need 800 of them to show up to a game to fill the student section. That is less than 10%. So 1 in 10 students. Even if you don't take out the band (which use to get "scholarship money" err. paid) and the cheerleaders you are still talking about 11% of the in state students.

I will support the studying argument. You have to keep your grades up to keep scholarship money which makes college affordable. Totally get it. But even with a team that is not elite, I would figure we would pack the student section for the ACC games no excuses (not everyone on campus is studying all the time, if so its time for a new library!).

Regarding Alumni:
Students are easy to target because they sit in block seating, but the same can be said about alumni. Of the Remaining 9000 tickets, it is surprising that we don't have enough alumni within a 1 hr drive of campus to go to the games. I don't know what tickets prices are now, but a season ticket use to be $250 for 18~20 games which was a pretty good deal.

That said, we should not have a problem selling out every ACC game, but we do. I know I am part of the problem. I have not been to a game this year. I have my own excuses, but that is what they are, excuses. This team can still win 20 games this year. And even though we have won and lost games ugly, which is frustrating; I think this seasons results have been a tremendous accomplishment. I think we all should do our best to fill Littlejohn up over the next 2 games and show the team that it has not gone unnoticed.

Go Tigers, Finish Strong!
LNT

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic