Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Main Conerns from Auburn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,475

Main Conerns from Auburn

Aug 31, 2016, 12:24 AM

We are only favored by 7.5 points. I expect this line to get bigger as it gets closer to game day. It is only Tuesday night (well Wednesday morning) and I cant sleep hardly in anticipation of our first game.

Here are my concerns in order of importance:
1) Obviously DW4 remains healthy the whole game
2) Auburn Trick plays/go for broke play style. They did this in last years opener vs Louisville.
3) Our Secondary -- We had one of the best secondaries in the nation last year. I know we have talent but I am concerned about broken coverage and CBs giving not enough or too much space. I don't think this will be an issue if we take their running game from them.
4) First game jitters -- To be fair, this happens on both sides of the ball. It is just like when we beat Auburn by 7 a few years ago in the Georgia Dome. We were a very good team and Auburn was mediocre at best. First games don't go as expected. Someone explain to me how the UNC Cheats lost to the Coots the first game last year.

Although I have voiced my concerns. I think we can out score them if our defense has an off night and Auburn gets away with some trick plays, an onside kick. and a broken coverage. The only way I see us losing this game is if DW4 is just not him self and the receivers timing is off with DW4 but I expect us to break the game open at some point.

My personal prediction is that we get ahead 7-0 early and at least contains Auburn run game with Venables calling lots of blitz to the running lanes. I think we win 38 - 21 with the final score looking closer than the game really is.

Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok your first two

Aug 31, 2016, 12:50 AM

1. Vegas accounts for about 3 points to the home team, so 7.5 is actually a lot here

2. Go back and watch Louisville game, Louisville turns it over twice in the first quarter and goes down 21-0 fast. It was bad turnovers to, not auburn special plays

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ok your first two

Aug 31, 2016, 1:03 AM

I do remember Louisville threw an INT in their first possession on a horrible trick play. Nevertheless, I do feel Auburn will try trick plays to try to find weaknesses in our retooled secondary. Auburn has everything to gain and nothing to lose IMO. If they lose, we are just about 15 votes away from the Number 1 team in the nation and they will claim moral victory and then will say the real season starts when they play their almighty SEC teams (eyes roll). I think Auburn is getting close to 6 points for home field being a 9pm EST start time and you know the crowd will be Rowdy there which is why I want us to get off to a quick start.

I do standard corrected on Louisville/Auburn. I just looked at the box score and Louisville pulled out all the trick plays. Louisville probably would have one that game if they played a little bit more conservative especially with such a young QB that they rotated in and out.

So where do you think they keys for this game are? We all know turnovers even though we overcame being a bad turnover team last year. We both know adjustments are going to be important in the first game because we really are not sure what Auburn is going to try to do.

I really thing this could be a huge game for someone like Leggitt because I know Auburn has a experienced secondary but I don't see them being able to cover everywhere especially when they have to spy on DW4.

What is your take?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have yet to be convinced that

Aug 31, 2016, 7:38 AM

The defense was that great last season. I remember seeing a lot of big plays against our secondary. They did give up more than 50 touchdowns! That is a LOT for a good defense. I believe that I read where BC gave up 20 touchdowns last season. THAT is good defense! The chunk plays must be reduced this season considerably or this team will not be a contender. I can see the defense improving. It may take a few games but it will happen. DW is enough to get us through the first three games

one bad thing about having an explosive offense is

Aug 31, 2016, 9:09 AM

The other team gets the ball a lot too and sometimes offense isn't on the field long. Can't remember but still think defense helped us to win what was it, 14 games? Remember defensive stop against nd, interception vs fsu, etc? Defense came up big when it had to.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: one bad thing about having an explosive offense is

Aug 31, 2016, 9:40 AM

You are correct about the offense but it's just a necessary evil. But I do think and hope that we are able to get a few more demoralizing drives where we get 10-15 yards a time and take more time off the clock. Also in thinking about BC. Yes they were a great defense there is no argument about that. But they also played 3 less games than us against lesser opponents. Our last 3 games were UNC, OU and Bama. Pretty impressive teams and offenses.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,475
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic