Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney: 'Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney: 'Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB

Oct 16, 2017, 2:09 PM

Swinney: 'Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks tnet...

Oct 16, 2017, 2:12 PM

I think the QB experts had just finally gone away

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Either Dabo is lying, or Streeter isn't Allin, because...

Oct 16, 2017, 3:11 PM

the people on Tnet know way more than Dabo or Streeter ever would. We watched that 37 yard drive vs Wake. We know better.

KOOT ALERT!!!!***

Oct 16, 2017, 5:05 PM

Re: KOOT ALERT!!!!***

Oct 16, 2017, 7:20 PM

you're an idiot! look at the mans rating and number of posts! just add you to the list of posters who scream "koot" every time they read something they don't like or agree with. get a life!

Sarcasm obviously*****

Oct 16, 2017, 8:52 PM [ in reply to KOOT ALERT!!!!*** ]

GT can really put some pressure on your offense when the

Oct 16, 2017, 2:22 PM

Yellow Jackets are moving the football. They shorten the game and your offense gets fewer at bats - most offenses and our offense especially thrives on getting more at bats and developing a rhythm.

That's going to be a ton of pressure on whomever is the starting QB. Sounds like Dabo plans on getting equal reps for the two backups with the first team in practice this week and get Hunter into the game early on. Look for HJ to get in by the third series(assuming KB doesn't play).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GT can really put some pressure on your offense when the

Oct 16, 2017, 3:06 PM

As badly as we played last week, and believe me I've been critical; there is one thing I feel confident about with this team. We will not let GT run the ball up and down the field on us. I think CBV has GT's offense figured out. If GT has more than 200 yards total offense, I'll be surprised. That said, we still have to be a confident offense. We certainly weren't that against the Cuse.

"on whoever is...." NOT "on whomever is...."

Oct 16, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to GT can really put some pressure on your offense when the ]

sorry. just a pet peeve of mine. The "whoever" is the subject of what follows, even though the whole thing follows a preposition. Almost nobody does this right, so I am in no way condemning you for it.

Re: "on whoever is...." NOT "on whomever is...."

Oct 16, 2017, 4:22 PM

####. Go and crawl back under the rock from which you came!!!!

Re:Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB

Oct 16, 2017, 3:00 PM

and yet we could give Johnson any chances Friday. Weak

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:meant couldn't

Oct 16, 2017, 3:01 PM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't just cycle through the roster willy-nilly***

Oct 16, 2017, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re:Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

"willy-nilly"? Cooper has a strong arm, but not the touch of

Oct 17, 2017, 10:31 AM

either Johnson or Bryant(when his ankle is well)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he covered that. The snaps were limited.*****

Oct 16, 2017, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re:Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB ]

limited because cooper couldnt

Oct 16, 2017, 4:24 PM

hit the broad side of a barn..again why not give hunter a shot? dabo is full of it.

10 of 14 is like what, 15%?***

Oct 16, 2017, 5:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 10 of 14 is like what, 15%?***

Oct 16, 2017, 5:12 PM

2 or 3 of his completions were simply fantastic catches that most WR can't make. His avg completion was for 6.3 yards. It does no good to pretend that he didn't have a problem making passes longer than 10 yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow, you got a TD for that?***

Oct 17, 2017, 4:12 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

R10of 14 is like what, 15%? Short safe passes, no touch

Oct 17, 2017, 10:33 AM [ in reply to 10 of 14 is like what, 15%?*** ]

down field like Hunter and Bryant(when his ankle is well) have...

Re:Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB

Oct 16, 2017, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re:Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB ]

Dabo is playing nice, he made the mistake and he will have to take the grief well deserved; if both were so c-l-o-s-e, why give 32 ALL THE GAMETIME PRACTICALLY
IS #2 THE #1 BY DEFAULT, IF SO dABO WILL CATCHIT FROM MANY OF US--bUT I REPEAT MYSELF, WHY RECRUIT TOP qB IN THE COUNTRY AND FORCE HIM TO WAIT OUT HIS "TURN". #3 WILL BE TRANSFERRING TO ANOTHER SCHOOL, AND dABO IS TO BLAME, THE OFFFENSIVE COACH ACTUALLY BUT IF YOURE THE mAIN lEADER YOU CATCH IT-THIS TIME WELL DESERVEDLY.

I am not crying over the loss, it's the logistics and leadership.

Re: FB Update: Swinney: 'Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB

Oct 16, 2017, 3:01 PM

So for what reason was he not given a chance to spark the offense when it was obvious that Cooper couldn't???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't question the QB order

Oct 16, 2017, 3:10 PM

just wish they had started with Cooper from the get-go Friday. Might've had him warmed up by Q2 and rolling. Then again, the defense dropped a big enough turd where that may not even matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: I don't question the QB order

Oct 16, 2017, 3:21 PM

I disagree. The least questionable decision, in my opinion, was they believed a hurt Kelly Bryant was still the best chance to win. I can't fault them there on that decision. Can't really fault them for starting with Cooper since he was 2nd string. Where you can fault them is sitting on their hands when it was obvious that Cooper wasn't getting it done and couldn't hit open WRs. The fault is not even giving your 5* talented QB a shot when he has outplayed your 2nd string QB in actual games.

Oct 16, 2017, 4:57 PM

Very good observation, and I agree with you. However, I would add that the RB's ran then Ball for two touchdowns on 11 carries (not sure about total of carries but believe 11 is correct). The most productive part of the offence Friday. And at least two of the best players on the offence. And for some unknown reason we stopped running the Ball. Could it be Friday the 13th, or they (Coaches) just didn't have a game plan? Clemson has the best Coaches in the game, so none of it makes sense.

Oct 16, 2017, 4:59 PM

Agree. The decisions are so dumbfounding that it's almost as if they wanted to lose this game.

And before the injury Ettiene got limited playing time in order to play Choice and Fuller***

Oct 16, 2017, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't question the QB order ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2017, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't question the QB order ]

We had stop running because Cuse was stacking 7-9 in the box and playing man...They smelt blood...Look, it’s no secret we have throwing issues from the QB position...KB has 4 TDs through the air in 7 games...Johnson I think has 1....There is the ticket to stopping our offense...make us throw it.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Oct 16, 2017, 4:00 PM [ in reply to I don't question the QB order ]

> just wish they had started with Cooper from the
> get-go Friday. Might've had him warmed up by Q2 and
> rolling. Then again, the defense dropped a big
> enough turd
where that may not even matter.

I will agree. Would like to have seen coop or HJ take first string snaps in practice and start. Coulda been different. KB was obviously limited from the first snap. Coaches had to see that in practice

Re: FB Update: Swinney: 'Not much separation' between Cooper, Johnson at backup QB

Oct 16, 2017, 3:13 PM

Coachspeak for "we blew it Friday not getting Hunter in"

Oct 16, 2017, 3:25 PM

I am fine with giving a position coach a shot making a call, but if it is not producing it is Dabo's job to walk over and say bud this ain't working get the other guy ready.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2017, 3:47 PM

The QB question will be settled by our coaches. Yeah, us fans are disgruntled cause we hate to lose, especially to a team we should beat.

We'll we did, so let's get back on the winning track with a little team rest, good team prep, and all of us refocus our winning attitude. Not the blame game, fell TNetters.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And here we go again...

Oct 16, 2017, 4:13 PM

Let me help some of the Tigernetters out......
Trust the coaches, trust the coaches, trust the coaches...
they know more than everyone, we're not on the practice fields, bla, bla, bla...

Just wanted to cover that up front....BUT!!

Said it before, saying it again...
Since Feb, have thought Johnson was the best option...NOT AT #2

But as #1.

Sorry, just my take.
Thank you an have a great day!

then why didnt johnson get a shot to spark

Oct 16, 2017, 4:23 PM

the offense when it was clear cooper wasnt going to lead a come back? i mean we were going to lose with cooper why not give hunter a shot..worst that would happen is we lose with him..who knows he may have led a td drive...dont sell me this bull chit of its not much separation yet you leave hunter out of the game completely ..more bs from dabo

Maybe Dabo needed to see Cooper overthrow one more

Oct 16, 2017, 4:28 PM

wide open Receiver on 3rd down before he gave somebody else a chance..5th time was going to be the charm

LMAO! So true!***

Oct 16, 2017, 9:22 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 16, 2017, 4:25 PM

There may not be much difference in practice but, there has been a big difference when it counted and that is game time. HJ checked out of two plays called by the coaches of the five play drive that he scored on against wake forest. That drive was so smooth and in rhythm especially since we had hardly done anything since the first two opening drives. Not to many freshman qb's anywhere are going to be confident enough and know an offense good enough that soon to be able to do that. We went through the same BS when three and out stoudt was given the starting qb job over watson because he was a freshman. Bottom line when cooper was not doing anything johnson should have at least been given a chance. He was given a "5" star rating for a reason!

Then why didn't Johnson get a series in vs Syracuse, if it's that close***

Oct 16, 2017, 5:41 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Then why didn't Johnson get a series in vs Syracuse, if it's that close***

Oct 16, 2017, 7:03 PM

Because Cooper played all of the relief minutes .

I thought Dabo cleared that up in his speech about this .

DB23

Oct 16, 2017, 7:19 PM

Sheer crap! He is playing the Stoudt thing again.

There is plenty of separation

Oct 16, 2017, 7:38 PM

Hunter Johnson is way better than all of them

Man at qb the saga continues

Oct 16, 2017, 8:17 PM

Why why why why is it that the staff is so #### scared to say the younger kid is a better option. This is twice in as many years the younger kid drives down the field like he owns it and yet he's clearly not as good (according to them) as the guy throwing the ball every where except in a 3 mile radius of the receivers. I mean #### if you can't hit Renfr, hang it up start working on a pro bass scholarship.

6 needs to be #3***

Oct 16, 2017, 8:20 PM

Sorry.... Did I miss something?

Oct 16, 2017, 9:33 PM

Seems I read just the other day that C-OCJS said something about there being separation between Z and HJ.... Maybe he mis-spoke and meant to say that there isn't much separation between them....

Oct 16, 2017, 9:49 PM

Pure bull crap by Jeff Scott

I saw 30 minutes of separation on Friday night

Oct 16, 2017, 9:59 PM

Dabo is pulling out too many 'stretches' today---KB is "running around great out there" and "very little separation" between Cooper & Johnson. Kelly could barely walk on Friday & Johnson would have gotten some PT as it was evident ZC wasn't getting the job done.

This is my problem with the situation

Oct 16, 2017, 10:49 PM

We have heard all spring, all summer, and all fall about how great all 3 of the qb's have been and how they are all basically equal, that the competition is so close that it's hard to call. The only reason KB was announced starter was because he made a few less mistakes in decision making but athletically they are all 3 amazing. If that's true then HJ would have played Friday night because it was obvious Friday and has been obvious in any game both has played that HJ is the better QB between him and cooper. I don't care about stats or minute break downs when a player is a difference maker you can see it in a snap. Just like with DW and stoudt. It took DW to make two throws and it was glaringly obvious he was the better player and the offense ran much smoother. It's been obvious to see watching this year that HJ is better and the offense runs better with him in the game over cooper. So Dabo and staff need to man up and be able to pull a guy if he's not getting it done if the guys behind him are supposedly equally talented and let them have a shot to spark the offense or they need to stop playing up backups as being these game changing players that never enter the game.

Elite 11 Recap

Oct 16, 2017, 11:08 PM

I watched Trevor Lawrence compete in the Elite 11 (via the show) and was impressed by the talent. So I went back to see how Hunter Johnson did the prior year. We all expect Trevor to start next year and he came in second, so here is the bleacher report's take on that ... Perhaps the paragraph that states that Hunter is a "gamer" would raise some eyebrows.

All I've seen is the two quarterbacks playing against Wake, and IMO, Hunter showed better poise, decision-making, and execution. That certainly should warrant a little more time on the field.

1. Hunter Johnson

Credit: 247Sports
High School: Brownsburg (Brownsburg, Indiana)

Size: 6'3 ½", 201 lbs

Recruitment Status: Committed to Clemson

Bleacher Report Analysis

At an Elite 11 finals filled with alpha dogs, Hunter Johnson was held in high esteem by his contemporaries. When event staff polled the 24 competitors about which quarterback they would choose to build a college program around, he proved to be the runaway choice.

Johnson, who initially committed to Tennessee, throws the prettiest spirals in this class, and they come in great frequency. He's grown to trust his arm over the past year, finding receivers in contested areas with well-timed passes that produce the blend of touch and zip that scouts covet.

Johnson is a compelling athlete who can create opportunities by prolonging plays, and he actually flew home in the middle of Elite 11 finals for a state track meet in Indiana before returning to California for the conclusion of camp. The guy is a gamer who can rally his huddle, stand tall in the pocket and make all the throws required of a quarterback capable of carrying a college attack to lofty heights.

Elite 11 counselors pointed to Johnson as the quarterback most likely to succeed in any offensive scheme, providing a tip of the cap to his versatility. He fired 31 touchdown tosses in 2015 while totaling 2,545 passing yards, per MaxPreps.

"It's been obvious to see watching this year that HJ is ...

Oct 17, 2017, 7:23 PM [ in reply to This is my problem with the situation ]

"It's been obvious to see watching this year that HJ is better and the offense runs better with him in the game over cooper."

Oct 17, 2017, 2:43 PM

Hmmm.... I hope Dabo is just protecting his QB coach here because Streeter completely whiffed on this decision. Wakestats: Cooper 2/6 Johnson 5/5 TD. Cooper play at Syr was pedestrian at best. Yes 10/14 but have to include taking sack, ineffective running, and without easy 2 yard throws and circus catches by Renfrow et al... passing was unimpressive. It's now Hunter's turn to be the 2nd guy. It's clear as day.

"It's now Hunter's turn to be the 2nd guy."***

Oct 17, 2017, 7:25 PM

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic