Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swung by Va Tech while up in VA for Mem Day weekend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 3,775

Swung by Va Tech while up in VA for Mem Day weekend

May 28, 2019, 11:10 AM

What a beautiful campus they have. I'd never been there and was very impressed, especially the area around the drill field. Really nice architecture and atmosphere. Their war memorial and the April 16 memorial are both very beautiful and moving, particularly the April 16 memorial to the shooting. Their athletic facilities area all in the same immediate area and all very nice as well. The downtown area is right on the perimeter of campus and has a lot of great little shops and restaurants and a feel like Clemson's downtown, but much bigger.

If you ever get a chance to swing by there when it's not a game day and you can wander and really check out the campus, I'd definitely recommend it. Had some really nice chats with some locals about Clemson & Va Tech football, but current and past, as well as about our two campuses. Was wearing a bright orange Clemson shirt with a big white paw in the middle, so there was no mistaking my loyalties, but it led to nothing but good conversations, although it was a weekend where there were almost no students in town and no athletic events going on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Handsome dude if I may say so..

May 28, 2019, 11:17 AM

and their stadium exterior is mighty sturdy-looking & fortress-like.

Oh, if Hokies get it going again, then we will have some more of those great battles like in the past.

They truly love their football (too), great & loud fans, super stadium atmosphere, cute town, eye-opening countryside & lots of football history as the Underdog & workingman mentality.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Handsome dude if I may say so..

May 28, 2019, 11:18 AM

I must say.. I really don't like the hokie stone.. reminds me more of a prison than anything else

Even the dog was sporting his Clemson gear!

May 28, 2019, 11:33 AM

Orange harness, purple & orange Tiger paw collar, and orange Tiger paw leash :)

good dog!***

May 28, 2019, 12:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Even the dog was sporting his Clemson gear!

May 28, 2019, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Even the dog was sporting his Clemson gear! ]

who's a good boy ? (girl)

Re: Swung by Va Tech while up in VA for Mem Day weekend

May 28, 2019, 11:40 AM

Hint: It is called "Bleaksburg" for a reason. Winter.

Don't go there between mid-October/November and May 1st. Nothing against VT but winter is dark and dank and the hokiestone makes it feel like grey is forever. Most of my family went to VT and is from SWVa but when I toured the campus as a potential student in January way back in the day, I said "nope".

May 28, 2019, 11:45 AM

I can imagine. My in-laws live up near Roanoke and I know what you mean about the winters there. I can imagine how the grey in the Hokie stone would just amplify all the other grey that's already there with winter - all the cold air and cold stone.

May 29, 2019, 5:09 AM

My son and I toured VaTech one Feb when he was looking at colleges. The place was awfully cold and very drab. He said no way. He ended up at Furman as a summa ### laude grad with a wonderful wife whom we adore. They both are huge Tiger fans. Otherwise they're out of the will!??

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2019, 12:15 PM

22-12-1

Clemson owns a nice all time record versus VT.
Clemson owns a winning record versus Frank Beamer, VT's all time greatest coach.

It is a nice campus especially when the weather is warm and the skies are clear.

I've never understood why schools with an excellent and memorable name change what they call themselves. VPI was a nice, recognizable and unique name. Why'd they change? Who wants to be called Vah-Tech?

Texas Western had a great name and won a Natty. Texas at El Paso? Why? Dumb name change.

On the other hand, Baptist College at Charleston became Charleston Southern. That was a great name change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed

May 28, 2019, 3:22 PM

I visited Blacksburg a handful of times as I had some great friends who went to school at VT and Radford nearby. Always liked VT's campus and enjoyed Blacksburg. Virginia is a pretty state, especially in the fall. Can't beat Clemson though.

May 28, 2019, 4:32 PM

Lol that’s like one flattering view of one angle of stadium, it’s essentially wakes stadium on steroids and I think they cap out around 65K. One side is straight up high school bleachers with a sign above that looks like something I made in the garage.

I agree on the hokie stone I do like that aspect of their campus and disagree with those saying it’s ugly or looks like a prison. I just think their location is terrible the only destination for them is Roanoke and they also party in radford a lot. Pre late 90s they were a backup school on VA, from an academic and athletics standpoint they have come a long long way but the flagships in the state are still UVA and W&M (for academics).

May 28, 2019, 10:15 PM

Actually VT is THE School for engineering, Chem E, the agricultural sciences, architecture, natural resources, non traditional MBA. W&M is a great school, but mostly for lib arts, biological sciences, business. UVA, business, anything in the medical field, they have the med school and law school.

May 28, 2019, 11:02 PM

Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

not on my bucket list***

May 28, 2019, 10:17 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not on my bucket list***

May 28, 2019, 10:58 PM

Easy drive at least from most of SC. Agree Clemson like downtown, just larger. Have only been on football game days and stayed in Christianburg. Beautiful drive up there in the Fall. Sounds like cool place to visit when no game in town. Looking forward to visiting Chapel Hill this year. Seems like forever ago since played there.

Replies: 15
| visibility 3,775
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic