Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In Defense of Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

In Defense of Dabo

Oct 24, 2013, 7:49 AM

After watching game film, Dabo said, ”We’d probably win five, they’d probably win five,” in reference to Clemson and FSU. As a result, the internet went full-on batguano crazy while talking about how a coach could possibly say something so crazy after his team was "systematically dismantled." The fact is, what Dabo said wasn't crazy, but grounded in some pretty logical arguments.

First, consider two events - the fumbles on Clemson's first and third possessions. One of the biggest issues with public perception about how good a team is comes from fumble recovery, which is not so much a skill as it is a random event that occurs within a game and has a high impact on the probability of a team to win or lose a game. Eliminating these two random events, Clemson is never down 17-7, but could potentially be up as much as 21-3, and rolling. When you consider the time and momentum, it becomes likely that FSU doesn't get the chance to drive down the field for a field goal at the end of the half, due to time and range constraints.

At this point, Clemson heads to the locker room for half time with a game either tied or with a lead, meaning the style of play calling we would see in the second half would change. We'd see different Blitz packages from Venables (as a function of trying to swing momentum back our way through big plays) and likely be playing more towards being disruptive of a short passing game rather than focusing on pressuring Winston leading to long throws that the under-manned secondary would be victimized by multiple times. The offense would see a better focus on the running game, as our circumstances would now dictate that we should keep things up tempo and chew time off the clock. As a result, we could easily have had 10 more minutes of possession in the game, giving us a higher expected point total and potentially negating 10 more FSU points.

Putting all of this together, it's pretty easy to see how and why we lost the game, but to say that a game like this would play out as a perfect storm of turnovers and poor play that was more dictated by circumstance (more passing leads to more pass coverage, creating situations where passing is the optimal strategy, leading to even less emphasis on the running game) rather than a function of one team being so much more skilled than the other.

TL;DR: Saturday told us who won, not who would win if we were to play again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In Defense of Dabo

Oct 24, 2013, 8:14 AM

And many seem to forget that FSU had a buy week before this game which, in my opinion, should have never happened. Clemson and FSU ARE the ACC right now and giving FSU a buy week before the biggest game in the entire conference was bush league in my opinion.

I believe that Dabo and our new AD should DEMAND!!!! that we have a buy week before we play FSU next year.

Anyone who believes that having a buy week before a game doesn't help you just simply doesn't know or understand sports.

hard to take you serious when you say buy instead of bye....***

Oct 24, 2013, 8:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: hard to take you serious when you say buy instead of bye....***

Oct 24, 2013, 10:38 AM

what a moron.... lol

Says the guy that uses the wrong word for bye 4 times in a

Oct 24, 2013, 2:41 PM

post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Re: Says the guy that uses the wrong word for bye 4 times in a

Oct 24, 2013, 3:31 PM

This coming from the guy who is making fun of the guy for spelling bye incorrectly when in college it's not called a bye! It's called an open date!

not making fun of. making a point. regardless of what it's

Oct 24, 2013, 3:36 PM

Called in college ball......buy is wrong.

Re: not making fun of. making a point. regardless of what it's

Oct 24, 2013, 3:41 PM

And I'm sure out of 2,890 post you've done your spelling of words have all been correct! What are you a school teacher grading his term paper? Why do you care if the guy spelt bye buy?

I'm sure that I've misspelled words before, however, I will

Oct 24, 2013, 3:57 PM

Guarantee that I have not misused the same word four times in a single post.

Why does it bother you? Why are you "defending" this person and attempting to call me out?

Re: I'm sure that I've misspelled words before, however, I will

Oct 24, 2013, 4:13 PM

For the same reason you are so bothered about Dabo's 5 out 10 comments. I'm proving your point to you.

Here is your quote from you directly..."You don't say anything stupid and outlandish that's the point. He didn't have to make the comment."

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14535686

You didn't have to make the comment about the person spelling bye buy either but you did. You could have read what he said and just moved on but you didn't you made a "stupid comment". People do things and say things and then others pick them apart about it on a keyboard.

you really have an issue with understanding context don't

Oct 24, 2013, 4:19 PM

you???

I also hope you realize are destroying your own "argument" by attempting to call me out over something I said.

you are ****

Oct 24, 2013, 4:22 PM

Posting from a phone in desktop mode is tricky.

Re: you really have an issue with understanding context don't

Oct 24, 2013, 4:56 PM [ in reply to you really have an issue with understanding context don't ]

Nope, but what I do realize is that you are the type of person that if I said the sky is blue and you think it's red then you'll say I'm wrong no matter what.

I think everyone is just frustrated about this past Saturday night. I really hope we kick the crap out of Maryland and everyone else on our schedule, especially USC!

Have a nice day sir! Go Tigers!

It is not a buy. It is not a bye. It is an open date.

Oct 24, 2013, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: not making fun of. making a point. regardless of what it's ]

........but who gives a rat's a$$?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hard to take you serious when you say buy instead of bye....***

Oct 24, 2013, 3:33 PM [ in reply to hard to take you serious when you say buy instead of bye....*** ]

If you're going to make fun of someone at least be correct about what you're making fun of. There is no "bye" in college football! It's an "open date".

hopefully the STL Cardinals manager won't be that foolish

Oct 24, 2013, 8:15 AM

since his team got creamed 8-1 last night and made error on top of error. Surely he's not dumb enough to think he has a chance to beat Boston in a 7 game series after that performance.

Call him foolish but he sure would be in good company

Oct 24, 2013, 9:49 AM

on this board.

Not to mention FSU played as close to a perfect

Oct 24, 2013, 8:27 AM

game as a football team can...

whether we could beat tgem or not is beside the point...

Oct 24, 2013, 8:32 AM

No one like sweet lemons/ sour grapes type comments. Makes you look petty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully most people realize that what he said

Oct 24, 2013, 8:57 AM

is probably not far off; especially if you have coached for any amount of time. I think it was the timing that made it sound a little "out there". Is FSU heads and shoulders above us...I don't really think they are...but they were Saturday...and we made it easy for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not baseball. We play a 1 game

Oct 24, 2013, 9:05 AM

series every week. If you lucky enough you might get a 2nd shot at somebody.

It does not matter if we could win 5 out of 10 because these two teams will play once ever. next year the teams are different.

Dabo only said 5 out of 10 to make himself sleep better at night and to make the pumpers happy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frankly, What Dabo Says Publicly is Irrelevant

Oct 24, 2013, 9:42 AM

The important point is what Dabo really thinks about the difference between the two programs and how to overtake FSU.

If you rewatch the game, it's even more painful, b/c Dabo is

Oct 24, 2013, 9:53 AM

right.

They may have beat us if we don't make bad mistakes, but it would have been the close game we all expected.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The whole point is DON'T SAY IT.........................

Oct 24, 2013, 11:28 AM

Think it, believe it, DON"T SAY IT. ESPECIALLY the 5/5 comment. It's something a jerk would say.

exactly right... Let's BEAT Maryland now***

Oct 24, 2013, 12:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2013, 12:31 PM

Loved your write up Willki. You sounds like someone who actually played football and or competitive sports before and know that certain times on certain days the perfect storm of events and with the full mull out and the stars aligned just right things like last Saturday can happen. That doesn't me we as fans need to be happy it happened. Be angry all you want but don't 1 week love your team and everything and everyone about it and then the next asking to bench our best QB and fire our head coach. People are crazy! If we struggle against Citadel and get beat by USC again then yes maybe it's time to look up to the sky and see if it's falling but until then have some faith and keep cheering on the Tigers to get back to winning and hopefully we'll win out and go to a BCS game but heck if we don't go to a BCS game there are plenty of other great bowls that we can go to and beat another great team like LSU. And also don't just start pulling for your rival FSU to win the National Championship just because they whipped us and some people need justification for why we lost so badly. FSU winning a National Title would be one of the worst things that could happen for us as far as recruiting goes. Check out my post below...

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1286545&tstart=80

There is no defense. Shut up, get it fixed, or get out.***

Oct 24, 2013, 3:48 PM

Re: There is no defense. Shut up, get it fixed, or get out.***

Oct 24, 2013, 3:51 PM

I for one think it will be corrected but I do tell you this, if we drop one game to Maryland, UVA or GT and lose to USC on top of that. You better believe there will be some people getting out! But I'm optimistic. I think we win out from here!

If if's and but's were candy and nuts.......

Oct 24, 2013, 4:21 PM

Whose to say if we didn't fumble on the first play of the game we wouldn't have fumbled or threw an INT later in the drive?

FSU gave us every chance to get back in that game.

Said it before and I'll say it again. We lost this game Sunday-Friday.

Oct 24, 2013, 6:58 PM

Every team has fumbles, other mistakes, injuiires etc. if u are going to use this then don't ever trash another team. It would be stupid right?

Not sipping the cool aid anymore

Oct 24, 2013, 7:49 PM

FSU could have stuck 70+ on us if they wanted.

Oct 24, 2013, 7:53 PM

I'm tired of the turnovers excuses. If we were a better team we wouldn't have turned the ball over four times. Do you think Syracuse should be able to make the argument that they could beat us 5 out of 10 times because the turnovers they made shifted the direction/momentum of the game?

Not if Dabo chooses to punt after his D completely bails the

Oct 24, 2013, 9:44 PM

O out multiple times while in a deep hole caused by the O.

FAIL!!!

Simplest answer is usually the correct one...

Oct 24, 2013, 10:10 PM

Look I've been down on the program after that game and let off a bit of steam...but regarding his comment....I guarantee it was something he rattled off the top of his head in the moment...no deep meaning...not literal that we would only win half. I honestly think he was just trying to make a point that both programs are equally good. Nothing more nothing less. Typical man response. Hell, I rattle answers off to my wife sometimes...just surface value answers...and she takes them for literal...looks deep into to find the true meaning...when in reality, I was just saying what I thought without thinking ahead or exploring my answer for some crazy hidden meaning. I think a lot of people here are getting the estrogen going a bit much and looking way deeper into something that really wasn't meant to have any deep literal meaning.

Re: Simplest answer is usually the correct one...

Oct 24, 2013, 10:24 PM

I started a different post on the board about what I felt was the "deeper meaning" behind his comment. But I could also see it from your point of view too. Some guys on here are making such a big deal about what he said and or that he shouldn't have said it in the first place but what they can't do is put their selves in his shoes and his situation. I bet if half the people who are making a big deal about it were put in front of the media answering questions every week they would eventually say some dumb a$$ $h!t every now and then too or perhaps something they shouldn't have said in the first place. Fact is Dabo is human.

What I really think is wrong is that everyone has built up frustration from this past Saturday night and we are taking it out any way we can.

He who does not value the whim of fate

Oct 24, 2013, 11:19 PM

cares not for the game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic