Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone think FSU gonna beat Bama in the opener?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Anyone think FSU gonna beat Bama in the opener?

Jun 28, 2017, 11:58 PM

I just don't know. I will say that I don't keep up with FSU recruiting, however I know that they had a top 5 or 10 class. It was big. They are supposed to have a new RB, they think Cook 2.0. Unless they have made drastic improvement on that O-Line, Francois will be in the medical tent. The only OL that could hang with Bama was Clemson just a few months ago. You know Bama has re-loaded on D. FSU lost some DE talent , can't remember his name but are returning Sweat. That's about all I know. On the other side, I see a shingle school, with a monster back in Bo, and a defense that should traditionally contend if not dominate FSU.

As far as we stand against Bama, we win in the trenches with most returning starters on defense and OL. I would say QB play " could " be similar, especially start of the season for us. Either way, If FSU loses to Bama's defense, then I expect them to lose to ours also. I just don't see them beating us in Death Valley this year. Therefore, Clemson in contention for ACC title again. Sounds good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone think FSU gonna beat Bama in the opener?

Jun 29, 2017, 12:02 AM

I have no idea, but I'm definitely cheering for them, so tired of hearing how Alabama is the best team every year. Whether they win or lose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Jun 29, 2017, 12:09 AM

No.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2017, 8:27 PM

No, but I sure do hope so. It would be nice to see FSU stomp Bama into another time warp, and then watch Clemson do the same to FSU in Death Valley. It would tickle my fancy to see it. Does anyone else wanna tickle my fancy? LOL

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jun 29, 2017, 12:17 AM

Good question. I actually think they have a darn good chance if they have any sort of line play this season. If so, Francois can give them fits. He became a lot more accurate over the season, and is highly mobile. Also say what we want, but that kid is tough. He took hits that were devastating, and kept coming back in. Frankly Jumbo should have never allowed him back on the field in several games, but they did. Plus I think our boys exposed Hurts big time last season, so I would definitely say I would at least look at the spread on the game, with maybe a straight up Noles win with decent O Line play.

expect them to try and "rattle" him with targeting, like

Jun 29, 2017, 12:20 AM

they did to DW4. hope they get called for it when they do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 29, 2017, 12:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone think FSU gonna beat Bama in the opener? ]

I agree, he's tough and can throw it. Sometimes though, just doesn't scramble in time and stands in the pocket too long. Don't know if that's decision making, or just really poor OL or a combination. Set's him up for a big hit against the Nations Elite Defenses, especially with a questionable OL.

Jun 29, 2017, 2:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone think FSU gonna beat Bama in the opener? ]

^^^This. Also, it's the first game of the season and a great time to throw in some new winkles, especially with the mobile QB. I wouldn't be surprised if fsu was leading at half but holding on for deer life by the forth.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2017, 6:53 AM

Maybe a "pick" play or two. Bama loves to defend those. ??

Jun 29, 2017, 9:30 PM

Indeed. Especially after chasing a hunh offense a hundred times. That elephant was done.

Jun 29, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone think FSU gonna beat Bama in the opener? ]

yep first games are always a guessing game. surprises happen. I hope here too though I dont think so in this case

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no...Don't think they have the depth to go 4 quarters,

May 9, 2012, 2:15 PM

especially after Francois goes down.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no...Don't think they have the depth to go 4 quarters,

Jun 29, 2017, 2:21 AM

All I know is, Francois will know what time it is when they come to Clemson.

Jun 29, 2017, 3:33 AM

I think it will be low scoring, say 21-17. I could see FSU winning a close one but the OL play for FSU will be key either way.

Jun 29, 2017, 7:01 AM

You can say Bama is "reloading" but they are reloading a LOT of their defense. They lost a TON of talent on that defense. On the other side of the ball, Francois is a good QB but he lost Cook and a couple of his WRs. It will be interesting to watch, no doubt. FSU returns 9 starters on defense, including Derwin James who was a big missing piece. Can FSU stop the Bama running game? Will Hurts, Scarborough, and Ridley put up points? I will pull for FSU but I think Bama will win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama will roll, easily

Jun 29, 2017, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: no...Don't think they have the depth to go 4 quarters, ]

Bama will open up a can on them.

the 4th quarter will be 3rd stringers***

Jun 29, 2017, 4:31 PM

Jun 29, 2017, 7:27 AM

Not a chance...

FSU doesn't have the personnel to block the Bama front 7 and I think Francois will be pissing blood by half time...FSU lost a lot of talented players defensively and I will be curious to see how Sweat and Christmas can step up and play

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Stop buying the ESecPN narrative

Jun 29, 2017, 8:03 AM

FSU returns almost their entire starting defense. And Alabama has to replace most of theirs. How can you praise their front 7 when they lost 5 of their starting front 7?? They have talent to replace them, but do you not remember the depth issues they had last year because there was a clear drop off between the starters and the backups?

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Stop buying the ESecPN narrative

Jun 29, 2017, 11:22 AM

What are you talking about? Bama will have 6 seasoned seniors on their defense to include Hand, Payne, and Frazier who got valuable reps last season. Then they return 4 starters from their secondary. Bama's D is going to be stacked....

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

With a couple of turnovers and trick plays

Jun 29, 2017, 7:31 AM

Bama can lose to to a team who holds onto the ball. And may need a couple of big special teams plays to push them past .

No***

Jun 29, 2017, 7:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Saban just doesn't lose these games. I don't think they can embarrass

Jun 29, 2017, 7:51 AM

FSU like they have other teams in these openers but I think they will win.

"Saban just doesn't lose championships"

Jun 29, 2017, 8:06 AM

"Saban/Urban just doesn't lose with this much time to prepare"

"Saban never loses when leading in the fourth"

"Alabama never loses when winning the turnover battle"

"Deshaun will be lucky if he finishes the game"

You sound just like ESecPN. I'm not saying FSU will beat them, but stop drinking the koolaid

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: "Saban just doesn't lose championships"

Jun 29, 2017, 10:39 AM

Bama defense reloads every year. Kinda like ours. I don't think it's so much hyping Bama D as the fact that FSU OL is garbage. Every team they faced last year beat the crap out of Francois. I really don't see them making enough of an improvement to be able to beat Bama.

Saban DOES have a track record of performing well in early season games. I think the SEC QB play and overall conference is way over rated. Saban is the truth..

It's not Kool-Aid when there's 8 years worth of games

Jun 29, 2017, 11:02 AM [ in reply to "Saban just doesn't lose championships" ]

to back it up. Saban in season openers since year 2 at Bama:

2008 Clemson W 34-10
2009 Virginia Tech W 34-24 (with a 3-1 edge in yards)
2010 San Jose St - whatever
2011 Kent St - whatever
2012 Michigan W 41-14
2013 Virginia Tech W 35-10
2014 West Virginia W 33-23
2015 Wisconsin W 35-17
2016 Southern Cal W 52-6

I'm not saying FSU can't win the game, I'm just not expecting them to. I think this should easily be the best team that Bama has played in an opener during Saban's tenure (maybe ever?), but so far nobody has even been able to stay within single digits of them.

Re: It's not Kool-Aid when there's 8 years worth of games

Jun 29, 2017, 11:25 AM

He's an idiot. Don't even break it down for him. Apparently he thinks us beating Bama in the natty just wipes out any trend data on the Tide.

Is Jalen Hurts Bama's QB? If so, yes

Jun 29, 2017, 8:21 AM

FSU has the defensive personnel to contain Scarborough and force Hurts to beat them from the pocket.

But I will say, I trust Saban to win a game that he's had months to prepare for, and I trust Fisher to lose a game he's had months to prepare for. So I'm going with Bama.

Jun 29, 2017, 8:54 AM

If the FSU OL can just have a decent game... yes. That FSU QB is one tough guy... we hit him hard enough to send him back to high school and he kept his head in there. Should be a fun game.

Thought they might have a chance until I heard their

Jun 29, 2017, 8:55 AM

own sport guy talk about a number of problems they still had.

He didn't sound too optimistic.

'Course I guess he could have been poor-mouthin' like ole Bobby used to.

Jun 29, 2017, 9:43 AM

FSU vs Bama.......Should be a heck of a game to start the season.....looking forward to it.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Jun 29, 2017, 10:31 AM

Of course, let's all hope it goes to 12 OTs and both teams beat the snot out of each other. I'm guessing the Trunks beat the Snouts, but it will be much closer than last year's opening fiasco, when the Elephants trampled the real USC. It will be interesting to see if Hurts improves on his accuracy downfield and if Monsieur Francois remembers to throw it before getting hit. Also curious to see what the Semihole OL looks like and if the Red Wave are as nasty as always on the Dline. Wonder if Wittle Jimbo blows a fuse like he did against the Tigers. That would not help the FSU cause. And 'Bama has yet another offensive coordinator, unless Nicky decides to make a change one week before the game. :)

Like every team that's beaten Saban's Bama

Jun 29, 2017, 12:04 PM

It comes down to these key categories
- Great QB play
- Run Spread Offense (unless you're just as stacked in talent as Bama)
- Don't need an absolutly great O-Line just a good one to get you enough time for your QB.
- Talented well prepared defense
- Not great but sound Special Teams. Just enough to not get you beat by Saban antics.

If you meet at least 4 out of 5 (with o-line play being a must) of these categories you have a chance to beat Bama. That being said, unless FSU had their whole o-line on steroids this offseason I just don't see their Francois staying alive long enough. Bama reloads every single year on defense, that's obviously their strength. Also, nobody runs on Bama, so the new RB for FSU (Cam Akers? I don't know. Haven't kept up recently) won't do too much. I don't see FSU getting more than 3 TD's from their offense.

When FSU has the ball: Advantage Bama

Bamas weakness is the QB. They have never had a superstar QB under Saban. Rattle their QB and you get a chance (which FSU does have pass rushers). I am suspect of their secondary still. FSU had a lot of bust in coverage last year which hurt their defenservices so many times last season. Unless they get that fixed then Hurts will get his freebie hurdle throws for TDs. I'm not worried about FSU stopping Bo also. FSU is always good at stolping the run. Bo will definitely get over 100 yards but I don't think he'll be that much of a factor.

When Bama has the Ball: Advantage Slight FSU

FSU special teams has been consistently good under Jimbo and they always have the best kicker that can kick 9,000 yards away through the uprights. They're sound in coverage most of the time and is always a threat to return one for a TD.

Special Teams Advantage: Even

Low scoring game. I'd like the upset so I'll take it 24-21 FSU.

Sorry in advance for typos and poor grammar.

Jun 29, 2017, 12:06 PM

So much to type.

Jun 29, 2017, 12:07 PM

Nope... FSU o-line is pretty bad. I suspect Bama wins by 10+.

Jun 29, 2017, 4:34 PM

Nope.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2017, 5:35 PM

I hope so but FSU is not that great.
They had 2 great seasons with crab legs but before and after him pretty decent best describes them.
Until they prove they can be elite without Winston I don't buy what they are selling.
This will be a big season for the Tigers for the same reasons.
What are we going to look like without DW?

Jun 29, 2017, 6:04 PM

No

FSU has a load at RB. That guy came in for Dalvin in relief

Jun 29, 2017, 6:07 PM

for several snaps and he is huge. Francois is on par with Jalen Hurts IMO. FSU recruits at or about the level of Bama (which is a little better than us for the past several recruiting cycles). I'm hoping for a close game. Coaching edge obviously goes to Saban, but there should be no shortage of motivation on both sides for this game. Great early season match up.

Jun 29, 2017, 6:18 PM

Bama by 10

FSU has a great defense. It's going to be a fun game to

Jun 29, 2017, 7:29 PM

watch. I'm going with Bama in a tight one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2017, 8:58 PM

I think they will. I believe Bama had their confidence shaken in the Natty last year. And it will linger through the first game. But, if Bama does win. I can see the Noles finishing with a 9-3 record in the regular season.

Jun 29, 2017, 8:58 PM

No. They don't have the linemen to match up to Bama.

I'm still in the minority for now, but I think FSU has peaked and will continue to descend from here. Consider that for 2018 so far they only have 3 total recruits from South Florida, including one because he is Dalvin's Cook brother. Miami has 11 from South Florida. When Miami sucked FSU could get whoever they wanted from that area. Now Richt has shut the door to that part of the state.

This will begin to catch up with them. They have benefited from years of UF and Miami mediocrity but not much longer. Miami is soon going to be the class of the other division with a major talent gap vs. other teams. Menwhile, FSU has to play Clemson, Louisville, Miami, and UF every year. As Miami starts dominating their division, they will recruit even better and FSU will get crumbs from south FL.

Only thing for sure is that Jimbo will still be whining about something.

I agree about the Miami drag on recruiting...***

Jun 29, 2017, 9:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me. 24-21. But then again I think UL will be good and go 9-3

Jun 29, 2017, 9:38 PM

So pretty sure that discounts my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic