Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my takeaways
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,499

my takeaways

Sep 8, 2018, 11:22 PM

a huge win and I'm happy to be 2-0, don't care that we were fortunate. (because we were fortunate.)

our D got gassed there in the 2nd half. I love Simmons but after he cramped up he was a liability out there, especially in coverage. it wasn't just the DBs...some bad recognition/coverage by the LBs. among the DBs I trust Mullen, Terrell, and Wallace but Fields, Muse, and any of the Safety backups make me nervous.

I kept thinking Mond was benefiting from a lot of luck (and maybe he was..at first), but he kept making play after play. will be interesting to see if he can impress vs Bama.

ever since the Sugar Bowl I've been wanting TL to get a lot of reps, but it was clear that KB deserved the 4Q snaps. having said that, the last two plays during our second-to-last possession brought back bad memories: taking a bad sack and throwing a weak out that Rodgers had no chance to catch. TL effortlessly makes that throw. I'm pulling for KB, I'm just really wanting to see improvement in one area: his pocket awareness. on straight dropbacks he currently has none, which is why you saw the coaches rolling him out the entire 2nd half. if he can slide into open areas of a pocket and keep his eyes downfield, which is something TL is already better at, then I think he can help us beat anyone. because I do love his running game. and hey, he's taking cues from TL and is getting bolder about giving our tall WRs chances at 50/50 balls, something our O depends on.

our DL is obviously stellar, and yes they were getting held, but there were many plays when they didn't get a lot of push. reminded me a little of the Sugar Bowl; as good as the D was in that game, we had to blitz to get pressure. still, there were *so* many plays when our guys were a hair's breadth from sacking Mond and he stood in there time and time again and delivered. gotta hand it to him.

we need a punting game.

ultimately I'm glad we were tested like this. reminds me of those wins against Aubie and Notre Dame in 2016. gotta win ugly sometimes. it's good to be great at it like we are. I think A&M could surprise some folks this year.

Higgins is a beast. woulda liked to have seen Ross some too; maybe even a 4-WR package to get them both on the field. maybe we're waiting to unveil that. :)

the more I type the more relieved and genuinely happy I am to get this win. Elko is a superb coordinator and he helped to make our first test a very strenuous one. liking our chances to pick up some momentum in these next couple weeks...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well stated ...***

Sep 8, 2018, 11:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my takeaways

Sep 8, 2018, 11:33 PM

Special teams hurt us bad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what can you do about a 77yd punt***

Sep 8, 2018, 11:37 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2018, 11:41 PM

I thought they took Lawrence out to early. The play calling when he was in stunk

Sep 8, 2018, 11:44 PM

I didn’t notice a lot of sub on defense. I thought our studs would be relatively fresh in the 4th qtr but they were gassed. Having said that, great win! Go Tigers.

" I'm just really wanting to see improvement..."

Sep 8, 2018, 11:56 PM

He's a senior. He is what he is. Are you really expecting a material improvement at this point?

Fortunate indeed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: " I'm just really wanting to see improvement..."

Sep 9, 2018, 12:11 AM

I'm sure your Q was rhetorical but thought I'd venture a response. I am not expecting improvement in said area, no. unfortunately "awareness" is pretty hard to teach. if no improvement is shown, I feel much better about our plan B, relative to last season, especially now that we've survived this early road test. but hey, lights have been known to come on in a person's game. I'd settle for marginal improvement in pocket awareness, which might be possible if the coaches drill him on it and he develops more confidence in the intermediate and deep game (as opposed to tucking and running by default).

I agree with almost all of that

Sep 9, 2018, 12:01 AM

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,499
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic