Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
morning news sports editor in deep doodoo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

morning news sports editor in deep doodoo

Mar 29, 2014, 10:42 AM

Publisher slamming him on today's Florence morning news. (Scnow.com)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: morning news sports editor in deep doodoo

Mar 29, 2014, 10:53 AM

http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_6bc6d92a-b6ec-11e3-94bd-0017a43b2370.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 29, 2014, 10:55 AM

The original article was online for half a day and then it was removed. I knew there was something up.

what was said?***

Mar 29, 2014, 10:58 AM

Re: what was said?***

Mar 29, 2014, 11:10 AM

He basically used his position as sports editor to slam Dabo for his opinion the previous day on paying athletes and them unionizing. Bundy was very venomous about the way he portrayed Dabo as basically uncaring about athletes while he got paid millions. Typical coot garbage from a coot.

Mar 29, 2014, 11:28 AM [ in reply to what was said?*** ]

basically he was slamming Dabo and college football in general.. when I saw the tone of that garbage I quit reading. I seldom read him anyway.. he is extreme c$$t

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2014, 11:35 AM [ in reply to what was said?*** ]

got this from another thread:

Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney just doesn’t get it.
Upon hearing Wednesday’s news that a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board ruled that Northwestern football players can unionize, Swinney told reporters, “We have enough entitlement in this country as it is. To say these guys get nothing totally devalues an education.”

If I’m a Clemson football player, I’m insulted by that. In January, Swinney signed an eight-year contract worth $27.15 million. It’s an excessive amount for any coach, let alone a coach of Swinney’s caliber. And it’s blood money earned off the sweatshop labor that is his players.
Swinney chalks up a group of football players trying to unionize to better themselves as entitlement, yet there’s no one on Clemson’s campus who feels he’s entitled more than Swinney.
No? Then why did Swinney agree to his mega-million dollar deal that is guaranteed for the full eight years even if he is fired within the next three years?
If the Tigers fall flat next year, coach, and you get a pink slip, why should the Brinks truck continue to drop off bags on the doorstep of your mansion? Don’t we have enough entitlement in this country as it is?
Your words, coach. Not mine.
Here’s a little advice, Dabo. You’ve already gotten more than your share of the pie. Don’t begrudge another for trying to get his. Just shut up and coach.
These days, more cash flows into big-time college athletic programs and conferences than some third-world countries. The top programs rake in more than $100 million a year from football and basketball. The NCAA is enjoying a 14-year, $10.8 billion – with a B – contract for its men’s basketball tournament, and the major conferences like the ACC and SEC have a 12-year, $7.2 billion deal with ESPN for a football playoff.
Then there are the millions of dollars pulled down by the NCAA and its athletic programs through tickets, jerseys, clothing, car flags, seat cushions, bottle openers and any other trinkets rabid fans might buy. And don’t forget all the Benjamins from boosters and fundraising breakfasts, lunches, dinners and golf tournaments.
So no, Dabo, when it comes to your players – you know, those guys on the field the fans really pay to see – an education isn’t enough of the pie.
Three meals a day, a roof over your head, some books, lectures and a degree – if a “student-athlete” has time between two-a-days and road trips to earn one – might be sufficient for the no-names on your roster, Dabo. But the guys up the depth chart – you know, the guys who really bring home the bacon for you – surely deserve more.
What about Tajh Boyd, your quarterback who rewrote the Clemson and ACC record books the past three years? His NFL prospects don’t look real good at this point. Is a $40,000-a-year job he might land with his sociology degree all he should get for the riches he’s helped heap upon you?
The Northwestern lawsuit isn’t the first attempt to garner more for college athletes, and there are more on court dockets across the land. At some point, something will change.
One way to give athletes more would be to allow them to sign endorsement deals like Olympic athletes do. Continue to give an athlete his scholarship and have his true worth fulfilled by companies willing to pony up cash for the athlete to pitch their products.
The top athletes would likely garner the most endorsement money as they should, while players who rarely see the field would still have their scholarships. It’s a logical idea. And it’s fair.
No matter how it’s done, though, college athletes should be getting more of the loot. They earn it.
And for you not to see that, Dabo, when your cup runneth over is troubling.

Mar 29, 2014, 3:38 PM

COOT Lover , Talk about YOUR Coach.

This guy's rant is totally self serving

Mar 29, 2014, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: what was said?*** ]

He wants to negatively affect Dabo's recruiting. Maybe he should have gotten some input from that other coach down there and commented on that. I wonder if he realizes just how ignorant he sounds downplaying education the way he did?

PS: What makes this guy think he has the right to totally disrespect our coach by saying, "Just shut up and coach!" Did he get fired? I hope so!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Not unexpected that a coot doesn't value education ...

Mar 30, 2014, 12:30 AM

if he attended coot U, he didn't get a good education.

If he thinks Dabo doesn't care about his players, maybe he should look at how Spurrier "cares" for his players (so long as they can do something for the OBS)?

"Education is a possession of which no man can be robbed."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is right. No need to pay college athletes

Mar 29, 2014, 11:05 AM

They get compensated enough. Universities are in the business of educating students, not being a farm league for professional sports. At least that's how it should be.

Can you put a price on the value of being cheered by your classmates (assuming the athletes go to class) and by thousands of fans? Priceless.

If all the "great" athletes went pro right out of high school, and colleges were left with essentially intramural athletes, would we still fill up Death Valley for a game between Clemson and USC. Heck yes.

We don't need to pay college athletes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo is right. No need to pay college athletes

Mar 29, 2014, 11:37 AM

uh dabo does think they should be paid a stipend.

Re:They don't deserve that; If they don't like what they

Mar 29, 2014, 1:21 PM

are getting then let them go to work. They get a log now including trips to italy (basketball) and bowl games etc. A lot of these kids could never dream of this. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

"You don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Mar 29, 2014, 1:38 PM

I think the NCAA and the universities should do the same thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Approval of this will put a real strain on the

Mar 29, 2014, 2:34 PM

universities and will only get worse. I would favor doing away with Athletic scholarships, all together ,before ever relenting to this type of pressure. I would bet that Death Valley, Sanford Stadium, Keenan Stadium and the others would draw just as many and probably realize more net money. If the schools give in to the unions, you will see less giving by boosters. The only winner are unions and they are short timers.

Well, if they are that short sighted and emotional in their

Mar 29, 2014, 3:06 PM

overreaction to these changes, they will kill the goose that laid the golden and college football will die a slow death like college baseball.

But, that is our history here in south carolina - too hard headed for our own good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that college

Mar 29, 2014, 3:21 PM

athletes could/would be in a union. Who are you talking about killing the goose? Colleges or the unions?

Re:Surely, he is talking about the unions.***

Mar 29, 2014, 3:23 PM

That's my point. So many have such an emotional reaction

Mar 29, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that college ]

to the word "union" that they lose all rational thought and logic and how to address the concerns of the players.

Tell me rationally how the union is going to benefit the

Mar 29, 2014, 3:43 PM

athlete. Grass always looks greener on the other side.

Tell me how it will harm them?

Mar 29, 2014, 3:58 PM

The NCAA, Colleges and Universities, ESPN etc. have a lot of high powered lawyers representing their interests. The players? Not so much.

Just like the NFL, NBA, and all the other sports leagues with their associations, the needs of the athletes will play a bigger role in the discussion going forward and the NCAA will approve some changes that benefit the players.

Re:If it comes to that, the schools should eliminate all

Mar 29, 2014, 4:10 PM

sports programs. Let them live with their foolishness.

Be careful what you wish for, Captain Hyperbole.

Mar 29, 2014, 4:14 PM

:)

Re:If it comes to that, the schools should eliminate all

Mar 29, 2014, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re:If it comes to that, the schools should eliminate all ]

absolutely great idea!!then see what happens.. or eliminate scollys like Div#3

Re: Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that college***

Mar 29, 2014, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that college ]

Re: Dabo is right. No need to pay college athletes

Mar 29, 2014, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Dabo is right. No need to pay college athletes ]

As I recall, scholarship athletes got "laundry money" back in the '60's. I think it was about $120/month, but I don't really remember. They also could work little jobs around the University. Perhaps someone from my era with better memory can fill us in. Anyway, it was allowed then. Now, they can't work jobs or get laundry money. I had a roommate who made big money playing the sax in the summer, and he was on academic scholarship. Always thought that was sort of one way. Anyway, we can really damage college sports right now if we aren't careful!

Dabo did say he thought players should get a stipend...

Mar 29, 2014, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Dabo is right. No need to pay college athletes ]

he just didn't like the union idea.

Mar 29, 2014, 11:25 AM

yes... he sure should! their EXTREME BIAS in favor of the c$$ts and the SEC is just plain terrible!! they are about as bas as the state rag!when U call they will not answer the phone!if this does not stop I will cancel my subscription!

What was most shocking about Bundy's column was

Mar 29, 2014, 12:42 PM

the total lack of respect. Bundy took one sentence completely out of context and did a major hatchet job on Clemson's head football coach. It was pathetic and emblematic of the SC media's slavish, drooling portrayal of Steve Spurrier and their total dismissal of Coach Swinney and everything he's accomplished in the short amount of time he's been HC....this attitude is reflected in far more newspapers and sports media around this state than the Florence fishwrap

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The punk needs a visit...***

Mar 29, 2014, 12:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What was most shocking about Bundy's column was

Mar 29, 2014, 2:42 PM [ in reply to What was most shocking about Bundy's column was ]

agree that it is state wide but these guys are awful!

As a Florence resident for the past 20 years.....

Mar 29, 2014, 5:04 PM [ in reply to What was most shocking about Bundy's column was ]

this is what I've come to expect from the Florence Morning Misprint.
What you said is basically what I, and many others conveyed to Bundy and the editors. However, it will not change the way they treat us or the kid gloves approach they give our feathered rival.

Re: As a Florence resident for the past 20 years.....

Mar 29, 2014, 5:37 PM

I have been a subscriber for 24 years and I just ignore them(sports writers) but I do get sick of it..newspaper are loosing readership every day but they do NOTHING to correct their mistakes ans their bias..IMHO they should go BROKE!!

Mar 29, 2014, 12:48 PM

I wrote an email to Bundy for slamming Swinney and more or less asking him why he thought he was an authority. I received an apology email back from his boss and telling me to watch for Saturday's paper.

Re:I don't agree with his article but if I was the writer I

Mar 29, 2014, 1:24 PM

would tell the publisher to kiss where the sun doesn't shine and leave.

You do that on your job?

Mar 29, 2014, 2:22 PM

Yeah...I thought so...

Re: I have before. The columnist should have the right to

Mar 29, 2014, 2:37 PM

express his opinion.

... at the expense of the editor and publisher. Right.***

Mar 29, 2014, 2:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:The editor and publisher broke one of the tenets of

Mar 29, 2014, 2:51 PM

journalism. I agree that that the writer was wrong but I be #### if I will work for a man who will humiliate me in public.

I think the editor missed it and the publisher called it.***

Mar 29, 2014, 2:53 PM

Peanut, I understand your thinking, but think of it another

Mar 29, 2014, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re:The editor and publisher broke one of the tenets of ]

way: perhaps, the publisher deemed the article to be highly inflammatory and humiliating to Coach Swinney and the Clemson fanbase.

While the writer may be entitled to his opinion, it was, also, his responsibility, as a journalist, to present the material in a fair and reasonable manner. The piece was no more nor less than a shrill hatchet job based upon words taken out of context.

Frankly, I question his credentials as a Sports Editor; I believe the article required a retraction, and I believe the publisher was well within his rights to inform the public of his paper's dedication to upholding responsible, journalistic standards.

Lastly, I strongly commend our Clemson brethren who forcefully responded to the article. Good work!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope he does it before sunset. Good riddance.***

Mar 29, 2014, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re:I don't agree with his article but if I was the writer I ]

kudo's to clemsontigerson for his letter to scnow.com

Mar 29, 2014, 12:49 PM

i know his wasn't the only one, but what he wrote and shared with us seemed pretty spot on and potent.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: kudo's to clemsontigerson for his letter to scnow.com

Mar 29, 2014, 1:01 PM

Got that link?

should only have to scroll back a day or two. i'll look and

Mar 29, 2014, 1:04 PM

see what i can find.

here's a c&p

Mar 29, 2014, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: kudo's to clemsontigerson for his letter to scnow.com ]

To Whom It May Concern:

Please be advised that I have ensured that the entire list of contacts on your website receive this message. I've also ensured that, as you will see below, as many other influential contacts and opportunities that I have will be contacted unless something happens to rectify this situation.

I can't decide what about the article "BUNDY COLUMN: Swinney off base about athletes" bothers me more. Is it the fact that Bundy is absolutely off-base in his article by taking one line of an interview and completely ignoring objective journalism? Is it the fact that Bundy decided to ignore past precedents set by Dabo Swinney or do any research to that point? Is it the fact that Bundy's Editor in Chief let this article be published? Is it the fact that irresponsible journalism, a need for 'hits' on the website and controversy to gain advertising revenue likely caused this article to be printed? I could go on because this game that media companies play doesn't elude me as your company's journalistic integrity has yourselves. You should all be ashamed of Sam Bundy, and anyone else who places value on what has been accomplished in yesterday's article.

I will spare you the details, as I believe that somewhere in your organization are people who understand what was and wasn't done with this article. What was done...you successfully got traffic from a loyal fanbase of Clemson fans, and likely rival South Carolina fans as well. But at what expense? You see, that's what wasn't done...consideration of the outcome.

Think for a moment about the rabid fans that Clemson University breeds. I know you understand, because you wouldn't have written the article if you didn't already know. It may have been good this week, but what about the future of scnow.com? What happens when those hits dissipate and the throng of Clemson faithful do everything in their power to see to it that you have no legs to stand on?

You see, as a regional news outlet, you should have some foresight. But alas, considering I've never been to your website before, nor will I ever again, I've come to the conclusion that you do not. What's even more disturbing is how as the technical administrator for a Fortune 500 company, I blocked all access across all networks in the organization I work for to scnow.com. I composed a list of 50 contacts in position to do the same in other Fortune 1000 companies and encouraged them to send along the message. You know, all us nerds like to keep in touch what with technology and instant access being such an ongoing issue in IT departments. We have to keep our employees doing actual work...instead of wasting their time on your site. But hey, I don't know of another South Carolina based news site on the blacklist of multiple companies, so good job Bundy. You should be proud.

Next on my list, pending your decision to apologize publicly, is to push for advertising restrictions and other ways to boycott your irresponsible journalism. Vindictive? No more than Sam Bundy if you ask me. Turn about is fair play after all. I do hope it was worth it.

Please feel free to respond and correct matter appropriately. I think a nice positive article and interview (if he'll accept...which I believe he will, because that's the kind of person he ACTUALLY is) about Dabo Swinney seems appropriate. Thoughts?

Thanks for posting. Hadn't seen that. He hit'em where it

Mar 29, 2014, 1:19 PM

HURTS!!!

Re: good stuff!

Mar 29, 2014, 9:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up!!!

More of the same as usual from ye old coots!

Re: I think the two are playing good cop, bad cop and are

Mar 29, 2014, 1:16 PM

trying to get more hits or increase circulation.

Re: I think the two are playing good cop, bad cop and are

Mar 29, 2014, 1:39 PM

That is exactly what I got from his letter of apology to Dabo and our fans. Just more B/S with Bundy being the one that most likely wrote the Apologizing article. Just chicken chit added onto a pile of Bull chit. Puuuuu Weeeee!!!

I emailed both Bundy and Publisher Wade. Received a

Mar 29, 2014, 3:25 PM

reply and then follow-up to my reply from Wade. Nothing from Bundy. Wade basically said yesterday that this matter could've been handled better and it was his fault.

Pretty classy of him to write that and then print an apology in the paper today.

Yesterday's column was totally blew Dabo's statement totally out of proportion and was taken out of context with out his full knowledge of the situation that had just happened. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and just because Bundy disagreed with Dabo's, he had no right to write an article attacking him and telling him to 'just shut up'.

We all saw the wrong and some of us acted on it. We got results and that is fine.

Don't mess with our coach!

Re: I emailed both Bundy and Publisher Wade. Received a

Mar 29, 2014, 3:51 PM

I sure hope this is the beginning of some overdue changes @ that paper.their c$$t bias has been sickening for years.. also the have MAJOR DELIVERY problems!

Same results for me. Wade emailed, but nothing from Bundy.***

Mar 29, 2014, 5:07 PM [ in reply to I emailed both Bundy and Publisher Wade. Received a ]

This dude is angry

Mar 29, 2014, 3:37 PM

What kind of reporting is this ? He thinks a college degree is not valuable ? Am I reading what this tool said correctly ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

usuc grad ? if so, one probably isn't !!***

Mar 29, 2014, 4:17 PM

strangely, haven't seen any USuCk hauskütz opinions/defense

Mar 29, 2014, 9:22 PM

Of this moran...
Maybe that's a good idea on their part ;)

This is as bad as Spurturd's statehouse recognition! LOL!!!

Re: This dude is angry

Mar 29, 2014, 5:38 PM [ in reply to This dude is angry ]

U sure are correct about the FOOL part

Link?

Mar 30, 2014, 12:21 PM

Otherwise, those cowards have hid it already.

-Nikoli

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic