Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Playing Citadel,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,798

Thoughts on Playing Citadel,

Sep 16, 2020, 6:50 AM

Since the Tigers took the field in their first game against Furman on October 31, 1896, 1235 games have been played against 90 different foes. To be sure, our football team has a long, storied past. And I have a plan to make it even better.

Of those 90 teams, Clemson has a winning record against most, 53 to be exact. Of those 90, Clemson has a losing record against 27 teams, and a .500 record against 10 teams.

Now this is where it gets interesting. With very little effort (and some wins) Clemson could move itself out of the "loser's bracket" against a number of these teams pretty quickly if they were simply put on the schedule.

First, I will note there are 7 teams that will forever have a winning record against the Tigers. Why? Because their football team no longer exists. Georgia Pre-flight (12-2-1; 1942-1943), Jacksonville Naval Air Station (9-3; 1943), Pacific (209-280-9; 1943-1995), and Sewanee (161-155-23; 1902-1941) are all 1-0 against the Tigers. Centre (51-20-3; 1919-1935) is astoundingly 3-0 against the Tigers. Fordham (126-70-17; 1909-1954) and the notorious Cumberland (7-5-1; 1903-1905) are both 0-0-1 against Clemson. Oh what I would give to have a chance to go one game up on, or at least even the score with these teams. Yet, they will forever reign as undefeated against us, leaving Clemson 20 other teams with a winning record for us to focus on.

Clemson is either .500 all-time or one win away from .500 against some very interesting teams. Mississippi State, Nebraska, Colorado, TCU, Texas A&M, VMI, West Virginia and Villanova are 8 worthy opponents with an even record against Clemson, and scheduling them would not be difficult. One win against any one of these teams is all it would take to tilt our winning percentage into positive territory. Likewise, it would take only one win against Texas Tech, USC, Minnesota, Miami, Marshall, Pitt, and South Florida to even our records. At least a win against these teams would get us out of the losing side of the ledger.

Then there are some surprises. Let's start with Wofford. I bet you didn't realize that Clemson has a losing record against the Terriers. Yes, the Tigers need 1 more win to get to 3-3 against them. So, wouldn't it be nice if we were playing Wofford this season rather than The Citadel? Clearly a win against Wofford would have more meaning, than beating Citadel for the 25th time does. If you were shocked by the Wofford thing, consider that it will take two wins for Clemson to get to 3-3 against Vanderbilt and to become 6-6 against Tulane.

Then there are the teams that we have some real work to do to reach the stated goal. It would take double-digit wins, with no losses, against Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Auburn to get close to overtaking them in head-to-head winning percentage. Obviously this would take decades. Thanks in part to John Heisman, even for our annual opponent GTech it will take 21 years to get even with them.

If the 2020 season goes as expected Clemson should even our overall record with both Pitt (11/28) and Miami (10/10), and we could have easily added another to that list if Wofford had been scheduled. Let's hope that football administration sees this opportunity and then seizes it by focusing future scheduling toward those teams where only one win can make a bigger difference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on Playing Citadel,KICK THAT DOG!***

Sep 16, 2020, 7:16 AM

Re: Thoughts on Playing Citadel,

Sep 16, 2020, 7:32 AM

Cool read! That would be nice to even out some of the records. Thanks for doing the research!

We know what to do with a dog on our grass...........***

Sep 16, 2020, 7:36 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2020, 7:52 AM

I think Citadel was thee first opponent I saw us play. I believe we squeaked out a 10-7 win. Yep good ole Hootie (yuck).

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

might want to double check the series history with Wofford

Sep 16, 2020, 8:03 AM

https://atr.cfrc.com/index.php?r=teams/opponent&name=clemson&opponent=wofford

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: might want to double check the series history with Wofford

Sep 16, 2020, 10:00 AM

Thank you for clearing that up. I was questioning that statistic as well.

Re: might want to double check the series history with Wofford

Sep 16, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to might want to double check the series history with Wofford ]

I got my data straight from sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/Clemson/head-to-head.html
(I admit that it didn’t feel right.)

I knew he was wrong the moment I read it, but was too lazy

Sep 16, 2020, 1:20 PM [ in reply to might want to double check the series history with Wofford ]

to look it up. Thank you for the help!

No reason to be playing Citadel,

Sep 16, 2020, 8:07 AM

We will win and everybody, everywhere will say who? Should the moons collide and we lose, it will cost us dearly. Can anyone say New Years 6 instead of CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: No reason to be playing Citadel,

Sep 16, 2020, 10:10 AM

If we lose to the Citadel then we have absolutely no business being in a playoff...

Sep 16, 2020, 9:16 AM

Nice, spreadsheet or paper?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather just stick with the 21st Century and look forward***

Sep 16, 2020, 11:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome report - T U

Sep 16, 2020, 11:27 AM

thanks

null

Hre is a GREAT link -- to Winsipedia

Sep 16, 2020, 12:08 PM

really cool site

http://www.winsipedia.com/clemson/vs/miami-fl

null

Replies: 14