Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Big 12 will never be able to compete in the long run.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

The Big 12 will never be able to compete in the long run.

May 28, 2012, 11:47 AM

The Big 12 will never be able to compete with the SEC over the long run. After the initial newness wears off of the BIG 12 matchups, the tv ratings will decline. Seriously, who cares about West Virginia vs Baylor, Clemson vs Texas Tech, or FSU vs K-State? Nobody. They will never be rivalries (neither will Oklahoma and Clemson either). Teams that step out of their geographic footprint will always be outsiders and suffer because of it. This is not in Clemson's best interest. Don't use the Texas/Oklahoma argument. They're the only programs that are worth a crap in football in that conference. If we want to play them schedule it as an ooc game.

What happens when the next tv deal is negotiated? Compelling regional matchups will win out in the long run. This is the SEC's bread and butter. They are building a brand that makes sense. Intense geographically sensible rivalries translate into better television. The money will follow. The SEC wants Clemson and FSU to jump ship. That allows the SEC to pick off Virginia Tech, NC State, UNC, Miami or whomever they want. It puts the ACC and Big 12 that much further behind them.

The ACC will be fine. Give me FSU, Virgina Tech, Miami, Clemson, and Georgia Tech. Name schools in the current Big 12 that are historically better than those. Oklahoma, Texas and ....?

The ACC would be better off trying to steal Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 than allowing our conference to be pillaged by a conference that almost died a year ago.

Don't get me started on how this move will kill off any basketball aspirations we have. You think it's hard to fill Little John now? I wonder what Brad Brownell thinks about it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Big 12 will never be able to compete in the long run.

May 28, 2012, 11:48 AM

Who cares about some clown that has posted 11 times in 5 years? I don't,so go back to your coop and peck some effin' dirt. Vandy and SC sure is a great ratings getter isn't it? LMFAO!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2012, 11:50 AM

I bet you watched that game though. Did you watch Iowa St vs Kansas?

May 28, 2012, 11:55 AM

Actually to be honest the only 2 games I watched them play last year was us and Nebraska in the bowl game. I watched 1 qtr of the first matchup between LSU and Alabama. Never watched another second of either game. Despite what ESPN will have you think not everybody enjoys watching SEC garbage. The only fun team to watch in your league in my opinion was Arky. Even in the offseason they had much more interesting things going on than the rest of the SEC. SEC is a good conference,but just like every other conference there are about 4 great teams and the rest are ho hum.

Missouri and TA&M say "what"?

May 28, 2012, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: The Big 12 will never be able to compete in the long run. ]

USuCk vs. Vandy, Kentucky are riveting matchups...yawn

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Missouri and TA&M say "what"?

May 28, 2012, 2:37 PM

Still alot better than Duke vs. Wake, or Merryland vs. Virginny, or NC State vs. Boston College, or Syracuse vs. Anybody, or Pitt vs. . . . well, anybody.

Let me ask the "steal OU and UT" crowd this....

May 28, 2012, 11:51 AM

Aside from the hilarity that the ACC will ever compete with the SEC...

Why would the ACC want OU and UT when they could not make money off their TV appearances for at least 6 years. They would be in the ACC, and the Big XII would earn revenue on their TV appearances.

That would be stupider than things the ACC has already done.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I guess you missed the report that the ACC turned down Texas

May 28, 2012, 11:52 AM

Oklahoma,Baylor, and Oklahoma State last year. Guess what, Florida State and Clemson were not a rivalry 20 years ago. Guess what else, nobody watches Clemson/Wake,Clemson/Duke,Clemson/BC,Clemson/VIrginia,Clemson/Syracuse with the exception of Clemson and a few hundred of the opponents fans that aren't out in the yard planting azaleas.

Matchups

May 28, 2012, 11:52 AM

Clemson vs Texas-HUGE
Clemson vs Oklahoma-HUGE
Clemson vs Oklahoma State-HUGE
Clemson vs Kansas State-HUGE
Clemson vs West Virginia-HUGE
Clemson vs FSU-HUGE

Clemson vs Texas Tech
Clemson vs TCU
Both of these are compelling

Now name 6 huge matchups in ACC with 2 compelling ones and you make sense. But . . . I don't see it in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also possible CU vs. GT, CU vs ND plus with the SEC/Big XII

May 28, 2012, 11:56 AM

challlenge we'll probably pick up a CU vs Bama, Auburn, Tenn, LSU not counting the USuCk game. We'll be fine in the Big XII but thanks for your concern.

Re: Matchups

May 28, 2012, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Matchups ]

Thank you for this post and thumbs up!

ACC leadership had a chance to correct the whole darn thing.

May 28, 2012, 11:54 AM

The ACC had a chance to add Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech. That would have taken care of conference strength concerns and immediately made the ACC one of if not the best football conference in the United States. But no. The buffoons we call "leaders" instead opted for Syracuse and Pitt. How dumb was that?

The ACC will not be fine as-is, and it appears the time to strengthen and prepare for the future (where college football is king) has passed us by. If you're cool with being the "5th" conference, then okay, but I'm not.

May 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

So let's compare shall we?

The Big 12 would be at 8 game league schedules if FSU & Clemson joined.

Lose GT, add a good regional non-con team like UGA, Auburn, etc. Even.

You keep FSU either way.

NC State vs WVU. Less history with them but more likelihood of football ability and a more fervent fanbase. Slight edge ACC due to historical ties but close.

After that you are playing either ISU, KU, KSU or Syracuse, Maryland, and BC. Long distance for non-name foes. Difference is KSU, KU, and ISU travels well and fields strong teams more often. Slight edge Big 12.

Now you are locked into Wake Forest every year. In the Big 12 you'd travel to these two stadiums to play either Baylor or TCU depending on the rotation. Average BCS computer ranking for BU/TCU over the past 2 years is 20. Wake was 84. We win.

Then you get to the ACC cross division opponents.

Right now you rotate several years between seeing the good 3 cross division foes (Miami, VT, occasionally UNC) and the bad 3 (Pitt, Duke, UVA)

TX or OU every year > good 3 when you consider Miami and UNC are getting the NCAA banhammer.

TT or OSU every year > Duke, UVA, Pitt. Not even close.

So while it isn't perfect it's still better than the status quo. If there is further expansion with schools like GT it becomes a no-brainer.

Compare the 8 game slate I laid out. Let's say its a cross division setup of TX, BU, and Tech to make the computer numbers as low as possible for us instead of TCU, OU, OSU over 2 years.

ACC slate without GT who would be replaced by a big name noncon: 56.61

Big 12 slate: 43.88

That is a big SOS gap even shorting the Big 12 and giving Clemson UNC and VT who were the highest ranked cross division foes possible.

It's not perfect but it's clearly better.

Re: match up any combo of...

May 28, 2012, 12:08 PM

FSU OU CLEM TEX OKST and you will have a national interest.

May 28, 2012, 12:42 PM

Seriously, who cares about West Virginia vs Baylor, Clemson vs Texas Tech, or FSU vs K-State?

The question I ask you is...who cares about Wake vs Duke, BC vs Maryland, or Clemson vs Duke, Wake, Maryland, and BC? You said that the Big 12 will never compete with the SEC over the long run. This may be true but what conference will? The ACC has not been able to compete with any conference over the last 15 years. The ACC is 2-13 with one national championship since the BCS started. The last time the ACC put a team in the NC game was in 2000 and they lost.

The SEC wants Clemson and FSU to jump ship. That allows the SEC to pick off Virginia Tech, NC State, UNC, Miami or whomever they want. It puts the ACC and Big 12 that much further behind them.

If they want those teams...why haven't the got them yet? Why pass off on teams like that to get Mizzou and aTM?

The ACC would be better off trying to steal Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 than allowing our conference to be pillaged by a conference that almost died a year ago.

The rumors were that OU, Texas, OSU, and Texas Tech were seeking info on the ACC. Your ACC commish didn't react to it. Like I stated a few days ago...if you have two of the top teams in college football history knocking at your door...then you break down every wall trying to get them. The Big 12 was a dying conference a year ago but a lot has changed over the year. The big 12 added two solid schools. Also if they were a sinking ship, why would ESPN give them a higher tv deal than the ACC? You know a lot of people that say "lets get UT and OU" are the same ones that is complaining about the travel. Why in the hell would those two come when the ACC would not add anymore mid-west teams?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely agree with that last part...

May 28, 2012, 12:53 PM

That alone is reason enough to jump ship. Perhaps the most boneheaded move in the history of college athletics. Zero foresight.

Wrong

May 28, 2012, 1:01 PM

Who cares about Clemson/Wake Forest or Duke/Maryland? How about BC/Miami?

Aside from OU and UT, OSU is averaging 10 wins a year over the last 4 years. They also won the Rose Bowl in January against Stanford. No one will forget the "I'm a man" rant.

West Virginia has won or shared the Big East title 5 of the last 9 years. They've been to three BCS bowls- all wins.

TCU has averaged almost 12 wins a year the last 4 years and finished in the top 15 each of those seasons. Two of the last three years TCU played in a BCS game beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Baylor does have a decent history. They have been to more bowl games than South Carolina and have 3 Heisman trophy winners.

Texas Tech has been to 33 bowl games.

Kansas isn't a football school but they did manage to beat VT in the OB in 2007.

Iowa State has an inglorious past, as does Kansas State. KState did get to a BCS game in 2004.

To say that no one cares or will care is very short sighted. These teams have long histories and deep roots. Overall attendance is higher in the Big 12 than the ACC. And I expect TCU's attendance to increase significantly.

Correct, the entire nation is riveted to those Ole Miss/UK,

May 28, 2012, 2:00 PM

Miss. St/Vandy, SCAR/Ole Miss games, or any combination of those 5 programs.

Umm...UK-Ole Miss, Vandy-MSSt, etc....***

May 28, 2012, 2:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic