Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So is South Carolina still on probation?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

So is South Carolina still on probation?

Jan 24, 2015, 11:40 AM

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/04/south-carolina-football-scholarship-reductions-ncaa-violations/1#.VMPJfGccSJA I thought they were limited on schollies this year?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So is South Carolina still on probation?

Jan 24, 2015, 11:43 AM

until April, I believe.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2015, 11:46 AM

Right now they have 29 recruits. someone is getting the old heave hoe............

Jan 24, 2015, 12:12 PM

Say they can only sign 22 a year. They have 26 commits right now that will sign in February And recruiting more. I think they will lose a couple commits but gain a few more. they must know a few want get in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2015, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: So is South Carolina still on probation? ]

We have 21 recruits that will be counting towards this year's class. That leaves us with the ability to sign 4-6 more recruits depending on who they know will qualify.

Jan 24, 2015, 2:03 PM

sounds like Spurrier didn't run enough people off.....yet

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2015, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: So is South Carolina still on probation? ]

Hey Moose, I thought 21 + 6 = 27? Isn't the limit 25? Do you lose count when you run out of fingers and toes?

Jan 24, 2015, 2:21 PM

Wow you guys really need to learn recruiting rules. There are 7 recruits already enrolled and back counted to last year's class. Theoretically with the number of early enrollees you had this year and with only 13 seniors you could have signed 37 recruits.

Jan 24, 2015, 2:26 PM

Mooses have hooves . Mooses ? Meese ? Anyway , they can't count on account of counting isn't what a moose accounts for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 24, 2015, 2:30 PM

The one thing I can count on is the fact that tigers can't account for recruiting rules.

tellya what chickenboy.....

Jan 24, 2015, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: So is South Carolina still on probation? ]

I can read the maximum number of signees for the SEC and the NCAA

can you?? And if they don't qualify, then its just bad on usuck who plays this oversigning game each and every year since Spurrier's been there.....

sorry, supposed to be under juniorreindeer's post***

Jan 24, 2015, 2:31 PM

null

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Re: sorry, supposed to be under juniorreindeer's post***

Jan 24, 2015, 2:34 PM

Like I said can't attack the post so attack the poster.

geez...another butthurt coot....if you're unhappy on

Jan 24, 2015, 2:38 PM

Tnet, you can always leave and go back to fgf....they can't count to 25 either

Here's the usc recruit numbers from The Coot oops The State

Jan 24, 2015, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: sorry, supposed to be under juniorreindeer's post*** ]

Dec. 4, 2014 - there may be some changes with the Roland and Davis departures.

USC is on track to sign a historically large class. Currently at 28 members, the group could swell to 32 thanks to a large number of mid-year enrollees (see below). USC could still add a defensive lineman or two, an offensive lineman, a wide receiver or a linebacker.

If 32 is the final number, it would be the largest USC class since 2011 and the second time over 30 in the Steve Spurrier era.

The team would then be around 10 over the scholarship limit of 85 (just like with the 2014 class) and would need player attrition to even things out before the full class arrives in June.

TIME TO CUT PLAYERS.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

CG---don't point out facts to chickenboy...you'll hurt his

Jan 24, 2015, 2:51 PM

feelings........lolololololol!!!!!

Re: CG---don't point out facts to chickenboy...you'll hurt his

Jan 24, 2015, 3:03 PM

How can you hurt my feelings with an incorrect article. Their numbers are off.

Re: Here's the usc recruit numbers from The Coot oops The State

Jan 24, 2015, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Here's the usc recruit numbers from The Coot oops The State ]

Not sure where their numbers come from(of course that was 12/04), but

Jan 24, 2015, 2:54 PM

We currently have 66 on scholarship with 21 recruits putting us 2 over.

Jan 24, 2015, 3:04 PM

so the state paper was just lying. i get it

Jan 24, 2015, 3:09 PM

No their numbers are incorrect. Since that article was written we had MANY decommitments. Remember you picked one up last week.

Jan 24, 2015, 3:13 PM

you are still at 28 now. lets see 66 plus 28 is 94 by my math. if you add 4 to that you get to 98. once again by my math that is 13 over. i know math has to be challenging for you dirtpeckers.

Come on de - they never cut people. The are MIA for reasons

Jan 24, 2015, 3:25 PM

You have to admit usc is having an inordinate number of "transfers"?

Again - from The Coot - I mean The State. June 4, 2014

Sophomore wide receiver Jody Fuller, who played in one game as a redshirt freshman last year, is leaving South Carolina’s football team, a source told The State on Wednesday.

He becomes the eighth transfer since the end of the 2013 season, joining tight end Kelvin Rainey, spur Mohamed Camara, offensive lineman Bryce King, spur Kyle Fleetwood, wide receiver Kwinton Smith, cornerback Ronnie Martin and running back Kendric Salley.

null

Re: Come on de - they never cut people. The are MIA for reasons

Jan 24, 2015, 3:31 PM

Since 2013 you have had

Jan 24, 2015, 3:32 PM

(Sorry)
7 transfer and 2 dismissed.

Jan 24, 2015, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Come on de - they never cut people. The are MIA for reasons ]

I don't know. Much less than you.

Look it up. I did my research on your biased numbers with documentation from YOUR NEWSPAPER.

I'm sure when you find it - you won't come back and report it with citations, please..

null

Jan 24, 2015, 3:55 PM

What does a newspaper know about scholarship numbers that are fluid based on who is commited at that time. Since that article was written the numbers have changed based on graduates,transfers,commitments, and decommitments.

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1017&CID=646864

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

Jan 24, 2015, 4:03 PM

It's The State

The Bible of usc sports.

Heretic!

null

Jan 24, 2015, 4:13 PM

Why does Clemson have nearly as many leave as the coots?

You mean kicking people off the team with bad behavior?

Jan 24, 2015, 4:37 PM

Look no further than Garcia coot.

How many times was it?

As long as Slurrier needs them, the players run the asylum.

Jan 24, 2015, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's the usc recruit numbers from The Coot oops The State ]

Wow sometimes I wonder if you guys even know recruiting rules. When a recruit is enrolled and accepts financial aid he is removed from that year's list(if available) and added to the previous year. This is how the numbers work. We have 59 on scholarship. We have 16 seniors allowing us to count back 9 scholarships. We add 7 early enrollees bringing our numbers to 66. We have 21 recruits bringing our number to 87(2 over). We have 3 walk ons who will be losing their scholarships(all schools will be quietly releasing walk on scholarships due to the new 4year rule) bringing us 1 under. As far as signing 4 more I know there are a couple that are in danger of not qualifying so when the numbers get close someone goes juco or transfers.

"all schools will be QUIETLY dismissing walk-on

Jan 24, 2015, 3:54 PM

scholarships..."....yeah, right.

The SEC and NCAA rules read 25 signees per year. Now, we're all aware that number for the SEC is more of a guideline than an actual rule, as pretty much EVERY rule is for most SEC teams (save Vandy,who, for some strange reason, chooses to abide by the 25 rule). And, of course, you neglected to mention the juco players and others who've committed to usuck since that article in The State came out....it hasn't ALL been de-commits and "transfers" (chuckle)

I wish I had the number of scholarship football players at usuck who Spurrier has "encouraged to seek playing time elsewhere" during his tenure in Columbia.....gotta be close to 50 by now.

And again, if a player doesn't qualify academically at usuck (hard as that is to comprehend), it shouldn't give usuck an easement to oversign. The rules say a MAXIMUM of 25 schollies per signing date and a MAXIMUM of 85 on the team...and that number should be a static number 12 months per year.

And please don't try to pretend usuck doesn't cheat. "YOUR" coming off the 2nd NCAA probation in the last ten years or so.

Re: "all schools will be QUIETLY dismissing walk-on

Jan 24, 2015, 4:07 PM

Do you honestly think schools will reward walk ons with irrevocable scholarships as a reward. Clemson gives walk ons available scholarships for the year just like every school. Do you think Dabo will waste an extra scholarship if he can't get it back the next year.

Yes the rule is 25 per year, but the SEC and the NCAA allows you to count back to the previous years class just like the ACC,otherwise Clemson would not have been able to sign 29 in 2010.

As far as your "static" scholarship numbers for 12 months. Talk to the NCAA about changing that rule, because as it stands the numbers only have to work when the schools turn in the paperwork.

Pretty sure the "25 rule" wasn't in effect in 2010...but you

Jan 24, 2015, 4:30 PM

can certainly read it for yourself:

Jon Solomon By Jon Solomon
Follow on Twitter
on January 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Auburn's Gene Chizik and Alabama's Nick Saban were not big supporters of the SEC's new 25-signee limit.

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- It's a new recruiting world in the SEC. Once the poster child for oversigning, SEC football teams are learning on the fly how to properly manage their scholarship offers so they meet the conference's new 25-player signing limit.

"Obviously, universities are going to have to make decisions on how to comply with 25, whether that's the number of National Letter of Intent and financial aid agreements sent out (to recruits) or the withdrawals of offers that may have been there," SEC Associate Commissioner Greg Sankey said. "Those are some of the things you're seeing. The first year is always a learning experience."

Oversigning hasn't happened only in the SEC, it's just most prevalent there. Signing more recruits than available scholarships allowed many SEC schools a better chance to erase recruiting mistakes. It also left some recruits without a promised scholarship.

So last spring the SEC passed a rule limiting the number of signees between Dec. 1 and May 31 to 25, down from 28. Twenty-five is also the NCAA limit of new scholarship players that a football team can add each academic year.

The SEC rule is still less restrictive than the Big Ten, which allows teams to sign three players more than the number of spots available under the NCAA total limit of 85 scholarships. The SEC never considered going that far. Just creating a 25-player cap was met with strong resistance by SEC coaches, particularly by Alabama's Nick Saban and Auburn's Gene Chizik.

As expected, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors this month adopted the SEC rule and, barring opposition during the override period, it will go into effect Aug. 1. Every team across the country will have a 25-player cap next season, although conferences such as the Big Ten can still apply more restrictive policies.

The NCAA also adopted the SEC's proposal to count summer enrollees on financial aid toward a team's scholarship numbers for the next academic year. That gives universities less freedom to remove a scholarship from a player after he attends summer school simply because a different recruit gains eligibility late. The SEC has not yet adopted the summer-school rule, which goes into effect next summer.

In the meantime, SEC coaches are crunching numbers and making decisions with their new 25-player signing limit. Because it's not as cut and dried as it may sound.
SEC's soft cap

There are hard caps and there are soft caps. The SEC's would qualify as a soft cap with flexibility, but still not as much freedom as coaches used to have.

SEC OVERSIGNING

Here's a list of the average number of recruits signed by SEC schools from 2008 through 2011 before the league's 25-signee limit took effect. In parenthesis is the number of 2012 commitments/early signees for each school.

Ole Miss -- 30.0 (16)

Auburn -- 28.3 (15)

Arkansas -- 27.8 (21)

Alabama -- 26.8 (27)

South Carolina -- 26.5 (24)

Mississippi State -- 25.5 (25)

Kentucky -- 24.8 (23)

* Texas A&M -- 24.5 (20)

LSU -- 25.3 (20)

Tennessee -- 22.8 (20)

Georgia -- 22.0 (16)

* Missouri -- 22.0 (17)

Florida -- 21.3 (21)

Vanderbilt -- 21.0 (22)

* Texas A&M and Missouri play in the Big 12 and join the SEC next season.

Source: Rivals.com

The SEC rule -- and the national rule next year -- allows an annual exception for teams to sign more than 25. That is possible if one or more signees can be counted backward toward the previous year's class. There must be spots available in the previous class to do so.

The maximum 25 new scholarship players who can enroll each academic year are called "initial counters." Almost always, initial counters are players who were recruited to be put on scholarship upon enrolling for their first year.

How does counting backward work? If a team shows up in the fall and adds, for instance, 20 new initial counters to go with 65 returning players, it would be maxed out at the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships and there would be five initial counters the team didn't use.

Come December and January, the team could add five mid-year enrollees who count back toward the previous class if there are at least five current players whose eligibility ended. The mid-year enrollees could be any combination of junior college and four-year college transfers or early graduates from high school.

If that team brought in a sixth mid-year enrollee, one of those six mid-year enrollees would have to be counted forward, reducing the size of the upcoming signing class from 25 to 24.

Because many SEC schools don't publicly share their up-to-date scholarship numbers, it's difficult to determine where they currently stand in relation to the SEC's 25-player cap.

"We have some institutions in the high teens for initial counters in the fall," Sankey said. "(They) only awarded 18 or 19 so they have some flexibility. ... We're monitoring that with our institutions."

Alabama's handling of North Atlanta High School running back Justin Taylor, who committed to the Crimson Tide a year ago, is the most high-profile example of the signing cap working as intended. Taylor told reporters that Saban said he couldn't sign with the 2012 class because of the new rule and Taylor's torn ACL.

In the past, Taylor might have been a grayshirt who signed a National Letter of Intent and delayed enrollment. Alabama still has an offer to Taylor, who may eventually sign in 2013. But in the meantime, the SEC cap prevented Taylor from signing, which had he been able to do so would have taken away his leverage to still be recruited by other schools.

Creating a 25-player cap that matches the NCAA annual limit "was seen as leveling the playing field so the prospect is still recruitable by anyone else," Sankey said. "The hope was it would even things out a bit."
Impact on SEC

Some critics of the SEC rule believe the limit could hurt the conference long term on the field. ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Luginbill said there has been far too much negativity placed on oversigning, especially because recruits show no loyalty to schools.

"When you limit a team's ability to manage their roster from signing day until the point where the class actually enrolls, you certainly are hindering the ability to sign all of the best players now," Luginbill said. "I'm fully aware there's probably a lot of people who would like to see this happen with the SEC having won six straight BCS titles."

During the SEC's current title run, four of its six national champions signed at least 14 more players than their championship-game opponent during the four years leading to the game.

Auburn signed 19 more than Oregon. Alabama signed 18 more than Texas. LSU signed 14 more than Ohio State. Florida signed 16 more than Ohio State. The only exceptions were Oklahoma signed three more than Florida, and Alabama signed six more than LSU.

"You used to always have that buffer to cover yourself for guys who won't make it (academically) if you oversigned by two or three," Luginbill said. "Now, not only would you lose the guy who may not make it, but you also may lose the guy who may fill that place. So you're essentially down two, not one. If the players can't sign with SEC schools and they're in the Southeast, where do you think they're going? They're going to go to the ACC."

During the past four years, seven SEC schools averaged at least 25 signees per year: the entire SEC West and Steve Spurrier.

Sankey said critics who believe oversigning was the primary reason for the SEC's great success are naive.

"We've had great coaches, great fans, great budgets, great TV exposure, great universities," Sankey said. "Oversigning may be a factor someone can cite, but certainly not the primary reason. Just like we say that it's not the primary reason for our success, I would suggest (the signing limit) is not the primary detriment."