Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
let’s just say, hypothetically, that bama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,004

let’s just say, hypothetically, that bama

Dec 2, 2019, 3:00 PM

Was undefeated, on a 27 game win streak, top 5 -10 in offense and defense stats, and defending national champs. where do you think they’d be ranked right now?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: let’s just say, hypothetically, that bama

Dec 2, 2019, 3:07 PM

But.....SEC.

That’s The Whole Difference!

They dismiss everything they would count as relevant for other teams ONLY BECAUSE WE’RE IN THE ACC!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm . . . wait a minute . . .

Dec 2, 2019, 3:15 PM

So, what's the upshot though? Does this mean that we are entitled to be #1 right now? Or does it simply mean that if Alabama were in the same situation, the media would give them an *undeserved* pass.

Are you saying the media should simply not give Bama a pass? (which I would agree with), or are you saying that Clemson should be ranked #1 in part because of a win-streak and championship that stretches back to a period before the season for which the ranking is for?

What gets lost in all this is that no matter how many times we yell about prior years accomplishments, this is about Ohio State '19 vs. LSU '19 vs. Clemson '19. If we had to withstand a comparison to a defending national champ based on their record from the prior year plus the current year, VERSES our current year, we would be crying "unfair" from the rooftops, and rightly so.

If someone wants to tell me that Clemson this year is better than LSU and/or OSU this year, that's fine. But don't tell me we "deserve" to be ranked above LSU and or OSU in part b/c we won the 2018 national title, that's just nuts.

I agree with your premise, BUT

Dec 2, 2019, 3:23 PM

Are you saying you think they are done with using prior year accomplishment bias??

I think it’s just convenient that they are “calling it straight” right now.

I think next year will be back to normal for ESecPN and the talking heads.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm . . .

Dec 2, 2019, 4:14 PM

let me state for the record that SEC bias is real. That said, there is a contingent of Clemson fans who act as if any mild to moderate constructive criticism of Clemson is, by definition, bias against us, rather than honest assessment.

I think the bias that Bama receives is a special thing in and of itself - but it is still under the umbrella of SEC bias. As an example - I think earlier this season when Penn State was ranked under Bama and over Clemson, that was a crock. I thought at that juncture that PSU deserved to be ranked above BOTH Bama and Clemson, b/c their body of work at the time was better. I think it was bias - unconscious bias, but bias nonetheless, that led to that.

However, the blowback against SEC and Bama bias, by Clemson fans and others, is sometimes so bad that we go too far the other way. The culture on this board right now is such that if the media makes any positive assessment about Bama and or other SEC teams that is objectively true, or at least reasonably arguable, we start foaming at the mouth and yelling "bias," and epithets at any analyst who didn't kiss our ring. At some juncture we have to realize that often we are acting pis(s)y just like we accuse Bama fans of acting. I expect that we should all be big enough to not answer the question of whether we think we're being mistreated with the response of "oh, well you wouldn't do that with Bama!" Well, that just means they need to fix how they view Bama. But it does not mean we deserve to be ranked above OSU or LSU simply b/c we won it all in 2018.

I don't think it's as simple as the committee "being done" with bias - as if they simply call it straight for a while and then completely quit. I think they've called it straight plenty of times even when that benefited the SEC, and it wasn't bias. Other times not so much.

Re: Hmmm . . . wait a minute . . .

Dec 2, 2019, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Hmmm . . . wait a minute . . . ]

We all think the CFP committee overreacted to our close win over the Holes by starting us out at #5. The media went right along with it. That was undeserved. That would never happen to an SEC team with our recent history. Its lucky for us the preseason polls didn't start us off at #4 due to our losses on the DL otherwise we might no even be in the top 4 now. It shows a lack of understanding at a national level for who we are. They will get another dose of reality after our back to back and three out five this season. Let's see if it takes. I'm not sure it will for some

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 out of 4 !!!...not 5. Next year will be 4 out of 5... OK?***

Dec 2, 2019, 6:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 3:09 PM

Maybe 2nd if they played in the ACC!

Ask Stephan A. Smith....

Dec 2, 2019, 3:13 PM

10. Alabama
9. Alabama
8. Alabama
7. Alabama
6. Alabama
5. Alabama
4. Alabama
3. Alabama
2. Alabama
1. Alabama

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not only would they be #1 . . .

Dec 2, 2019, 3:13 PM

They would be UNQUESTIONED at #1.

And they would be celebrated as a dynasty for the ages (which is a nice thing for recruiting, by the way).

This is exactly what Dabo is saying.

Dec 2, 2019, 3:19 PM

I remember that time that Alabama had a 26 game winning streak.

They then lost to a walk-on.

Dec 2, 2019, 4:00 PM

Bama wasnt on that long of a win streak they had lost to the Bucknuts in the previous playoff and lost that season to ATM I believe.

Dec 2, 2019, 4:35 PM

They would have never left the #1 spot.

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,004
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic