Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Bama play a Top 20 team during the regular season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,712

Will Bama play a Top 20 team during the regular season?

Oct 8, 2018, 8:59 AM

The only possibilities are Miss St and LSU.

LSU plays UGA and Miss St before Bama. I would assume they lose one of those, which will put them outside of the Top 20.

Miss St plays LSU and Texas AM. I would assume they lose one of those, which will put them outside of the Top 20.

I'm not suggesting that Clemson's schedule is harder than Bama, but it's pretty wild that they could go the whole year in the SEC West without playing a Top 20 team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The media says

Oct 8, 2018, 9:04 AM

Bama IS the Top 20. So, practices count!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True, but in the SEC unranked teams "just mean more"

Oct 8, 2018, 9:11 AM

for strength of schedule

i've always thought it was misleading to go off what ranking

Oct 8, 2018, 9:12 AM

a team was "WHEN" you played them.

example: Team A beats a top10 team in game 2...........Team B beats the same team in game 10 but they're unranked by that time, but yet Team A gets a top10 win and Team B doesn't????.......makes no sense to me.

if Texas A&M hypothetically ends up 10-2 and ranked 12 at end of regular season Bama AND clemson should get credit for beating a #12 team (which is how the committee looks at it)

so in that scenario it's possible that bama has a couple "top20 wins"............but maybe not at the time they played them..............same can be said for us w/ TAMU & NCstate as possibilities.

I agree, but on the flip side...

Oct 8, 2018, 10:06 AM

Let's say a team is 7-0 and ranked #5 and then Clemson or whoever beats them. Then the team loses the next game due to an emotional letdown from almost beating Clemson or Bama or Ohio St.

Then they're ranked #23 at the end of the season. Well, at the time, they were dang good and a hot team, so I think it still should kinda count as a Top 5 win.

i see that side too.......a little, but i still think.....

Oct 8, 2018, 10:19 AM

to be a good/great/elite team you have to be physically and mentally tough........and if a team let's a loss beat them twice that tells me they're not mentally tough. In some cases that's what separates a top 5-10 team from a 20-25 team .

while i do think the emotions of a team can have an impact (positive or negative) on a team, I think you have to draw a line at some point when evaluating these teams based on "tangible" accomplishments...........ie "they beat a 7-0 team at the time, but now they're 7-5" as opposed to "they beat a 7-0 team who's now 7-5, but the team was down on the loss and the emotions set in, etc..."

jmo

Re: i've always thought it was misleading to go off what ranking

Oct 8, 2018, 10:20 AM [ in reply to i've always thought it was misleading to go off what ranking ]

That was the recipe for the SEC dominance of the BCS era. Give the SEC team high preseason rankings and they all rack up top 15 wins for the computers.

Re: Will Bama play a Top 20 team during the regular season?

Oct 8, 2018, 9:14 AM

Caddie said:

The only possibilities are Miss St and LSU.

LSU plays UGA and Miss St before Bama. I would assume they lose one of those, which will put them outside of the Top 20.

Miss St plays LSU and Texas AM. I would assume they lose one of those, which will put them outside of the Top 20.

I'm not suggesting that Clemson's schedule is harder than Bama, but it's pretty wild that they could go the whole year in the SEC West without playing a Top 20 team.

LSU will most likely lose to UGA, but then beat Miss. State and the media will put them back in the top 20 so that the LSU/Alabama game can be hyped as "The Game of the Century"

Oct 8, 2018, 10:09 AM

Really, it will be hyped that way, no matter what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2018, 9:35 AM

We can solve this issue right now;
At the start of the season just place all of the SEC in the top 14. Alabama, of course, would be ranked # 1, not because they are the best team in the country, oops, I mean conference but because
they come first alphabetically. Isn't that a coincidence?
Then, as they play each other, the rankings would change, but since there are 14 teams, and only a 12 game regular season, Bama would definitely play at least at least a couple of top 20 teams, and maybe even a top 10 team during the regular season.
As to the rest of the teams in the country, they would be ranked 15-25, based solely on alphabetical listings.
That would, of course, place Clemson higher than the likes of FSU (only when they are decent, mind you), or Oklahoma(when they aren't losing to Texas), Ohio State(when Urban is not suspended for games that don't count),Michigan(who cares), Notre Dame(when they are relevant),or Penn St(when they learn to win an "all-whiteout" game that matters).
Issue solved!

Oct 8, 2018, 9:50 AM

If T A&M keeps winning then that will be a good win for them, as well as us. LSU's best win is probably Miami, Auburn sucks and I think they lose 2-3 more, LSU will probably lose 2 more or so. Miss St isn't good and not sure how they got back into the top 25 again.. I swear the AP just likes to jerk off the SEC

Bama is still the best team right now until TL gets comfort-

Oct 8, 2018, 9:58 AM

able. HAven't seen TL get in a good rhythm as of yet. Still seems to lock in on recievers and throws alot of balls at the last second. I'd like Scott and Elliot get him some good timing style routs put together so he has set spot to get the ball out, similar to the screens but more down the field on roll outs. Right now its screens and every once in a while a long developing route. Not sure whats going on downfield b/c you dont' get that vantage point on tv very often. Maybe there are guys open but he's not seeing them or hes not comfortable with anticipating the route yet. He's got plenty of time to get it figured out but until that happens consistently ican't say we're the best team. But i got a feeling its coming soon.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,712
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic