Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
is Dabo an X's and O's guy, or just a bouncing sweatshirt?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

is Dabo an X's and O's guy, or just a bouncing sweatshirt?

Nov 23, 2016, 7:29 PM

I saw it again this week - this time, believe it or not, from a supposed Clemson fan on a Clemson website. No, not the "C***ing" word - no, instead the jab at Dabo by saying that he just wasn't an X's and O's type of guy. You know, an all "rah rah" coach, but with no substance.

So I thought I'd revisit the 2008 USuCk game and watch again as we, all of Clemson, backed into one of the best coaches our school has ever had. It's hard not love that team, and it's also hard not to notice all the NFL talent running around on our sidelines. That team was supremely talented and obviously questionably coached. So if you want to know just how much the coaching - Head Coach and otherwise - has improved at Clemson in the last 8 years, let's take a little look at from whence we come....

The 2008 team had 21 players in the Sophomore class or above who would go onto "playing" NFL careers (not just practice squad). Yes, 21. That group totaled 85 years of NFL career to boot - a heady 4+ year average - and a couple of players are adding to that total as we speak. That doesn't even count Aaron Kelly who graduated as the ACC's preeminent pass catcher of all-time but could only muster 4 years in the CFL.

That also doesn't include another 7 Freshmen who were on the team but saw little action, and also ultimately went onto the NFL. Yes, an additional 7. Those players already have 28 years experience in the league.

The Defense sported 15 of the 21 even though that team was known most for Thunder and Lightning - Spiller and Davis - in the offensive backfield. Lots of USuCk fans like to beattch that Chris Smelley lost that year-end game to us by throwing 4 INT's, but imagine throwing into a college backfield that included Michael Hamlin (2 yrs in NFL), Chris Chancellor (2), Chris Clemons (7), Crezdon Butler (6), Byron Maxwell (6), DeAndre MCDaniel (1), and Marcus Gilchrist (6). I'd say regardless the USuCk QB, throwing into that squad was going to be definitively hazardous.

Yet with all that talent, Clemson was headed completely south until Swinney was named HC. A 3-3 record eventually concluded at 7-5, with the capstone win against the Coots, before a bowl loss to Nebraska.

So yes, we recruit very well now - maybe better even than the years leading up to 2008. But what's clear is that the overall coaching has improved significantly as well. Todays staff takes great talent and makes great results on the field, instead of middlin' results coming from great talent. And while some will take this as the obligatory invite to bash Tommy B, it's more a celebration of the program that has been put in place and the success generated by a superb staff.

No doubt we have a great Leader at the helm, but he's also a heckuva Coach as well.

And the Coots are about to find that out for the 3rd time in a row.....

#GoTigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He knows more about the game of football then any

Nov 23, 2016, 7:51 PM

Dumba$$ posting on a message board. Coach Swinney has built one of the best football programs in the country, he's also put together a great support staff.

Re: He is a darn good coach for a real estate salesman.***

Nov 23, 2016, 9:53 PM

He is a winner. Isn't that all that matters?

Nov 24, 2016, 1:18 AM

To heck what naysayers spout off about. You have to face the fact there are people in this world that do not want you to succeed and will grumble, moan and complain about the color of the sky if it suits them.

When you pass the point of what "somebody said" being important you are a much happier person.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: is Dabo an X's and O's guy, or just a bouncing sweatshirt?

Nov 24, 2016, 4:58 AM

"Bouncing sweatshirt" is the only thing I needed to read to NOT read your post. Dumb.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Itmwas actually a good post

Nov 24, 2016, 8:12 AM

Maybe you should read it before you take the time to bash it. Dumb.

Your loss. Maybe the post of the week!***

Nov 24, 2016, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: is Dabo an X's and O's guy, or just a bouncing sweatshirt? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2016, 8:50 AM

A coot family member has for years sort of quietly wondered aloud things like "I just don't know what kind of coach Dabo is". I've always told him that Dabo's a better coach than coots want to admit, but he really whips that coot a$$ on the recruiting trail. Is there any coach in America (not named Saban) who is a better recruiter?

My family member recently came out with the standard "Dabo can't coach" tripe but before I could say anything he said "I guess it doesn't matter. He's doing something right."

Yeah, coots. You thought Lou-ser and Spur-god were great, too. Muscoot ain't all that, either. Maybe next time you should "do the opposite".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RerJWv5vwxc

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2016, 10:33 AM

I'd say Dabo is the absolute best recruiter in CFB , bar none .
Without the built in advantages of the UGA/FSU/Bama/UF/Southern Cal /OSU /OU types he has done nothing short of put together a deep and well heeled team that is built to sustain a stay at the top with the big boys of CFB .
There really isn't any comparison in my book when you talk about other coaches at " 2nd Tier " teams like a Clemson .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Where did this originate?

Nov 24, 2016, 9:59 AM

What is the cause of the line of thinking that Dabo is not skilled at football strategy?

Is there some sort of law of sports physics out there I am not aware of that states you cannot be both a good motivator and creator of catchy phrases and also adept at fundamental offensive or defensive theory?

I mean sure he was a salesman for awhile, but he did play on a national championship team. Coach Elliot worked at Michelin. Does that make him any less effective?

The point is

Nov 24, 2016, 10:28 AM

despite what our worm pulling detractors like to think, Dabo is well above average in all important aspects of the game. Recruiting, character development, motivation, and tactical coaching. We may think that there are a few games that we lost because of tactical errors, but we lay people are not always aware of the countervailing considerations. More to the point, when we think of such things, it is generally about games we might have lost but didn't. That's the difference. Danny was the same way. The poultry loved to call him a tobacco chewing red neck moron, and that's fine because he beat their brains in and I guess it would have been doubly intolerable if they had been beat by genius. I'm not sure why any of us pay any attention to their clucking, much less go to their board and republish.

Nov 24, 2016, 3:57 PM

What was the website?

Nov 24, 2016, 5:26 PM

He's DEFINITELY a "O's" guy, and knows how to hire an "X's" guy.

One more year of 10+ wins, shoot, one more bowl win, and he's already in legend category.

Nov 24, 2016, 6:13 PM

Dabo is the coach of 1 of the top 4 teams in the country and has won 10 games 6 years in a row !!!!! Proven WINNER thx

Nov 24, 2016, 8:58 PM

I really think he has as much football knowledge as the average head coach. Having said that, I could care less if he did not even know what a football looked like, so long as he wins games.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic