Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pay to Play Act
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,023

Pay to Play Act

Oct 3, 2019, 7:37 AM

I ultimately see this act allowing for the top athletes to have more freedom. Imagine if Trevor Lawrence had TV deals and magazine sponsorship. He in theory could just train for 2 years (as opposed to playing) and get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions as he waits for the NFL draft.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pay to Play Act

Oct 3, 2019, 7:47 AM

I think the main source of income for a few select players at the top will be your Nike's of the world paying the Tua's and Trevor's and getting them on board early. I mean if all they did was train for two years, would they still have the recognition they do now? Doubtful. I really think this only is gonna impact a few players at the top and is not that relevant for getting players payed. I think its more building a foundation to get actual pay.

No, Nike may get the "top of the top" players, but it will..

Oct 3, 2019, 7:54 AM

be an all out bidding war from companies connected with certain schools big to small with high school recruits.

college football would never be the same...........don't fall into the trap of thinking this will just affect a select few players.

Re: No, Nike may get the "top of the top" players, but it will..

Oct 3, 2019, 8:00 AM

I see what you're saying. But has anyone really put thought into the marketability of a college athlete? I mean i would imagine it would be hyper-regional. I mean honestly a marketing campaign centered around a college kid just doesn't seem like a smart investment. I mean who on our team would you think this would benefit? Trevor, Higgins (maybe), Etienne (maybe), XT (maybe). Who outside of Clemson fans recognizes any of these players? I see this really leading to inequality between players on the teams and pushing for actual pay. I guess i'm just saying, the way its set up now. Anyone making anything, outside of a few players, are gonna be very small market peanut money.

Exactly, recruits will go to where they feel they can be....

Oct 3, 2019, 8:08 AM

more marketable.

Trevor, XT, Tee Higgins, & Ross would've never come here if all we had was a few "chevy dealerships" to market them (i use that as an example)...........they'd rather go to Big market LA or Oregon where Nike would pay them more.

i'm telling you there's little things everywhere that people aren't thinking about that would sink Athletic departments across the country.

Re: Exactly, recruits will go to where they feel they can be....

Oct 3, 2019, 8:14 AM

Oh for sure. I'm not saying this isn't gonna have an effect on football or the product. I'm just saying that kids wont be making the money that some people are hoping will come from this. Even with the point you just made, wouldn't it make sense that each team would still only have two, maybe three super recognizable kids? That in theory is 3 out of the allowable 105 players on a football team.

Now I would see this being a HUGE deal in basketball where there are far fewer players. Like whoever it was on this thread that made the point about the fab five. I guess I admittedly look at this from a football perspective because of the number of athletes it effects.

Would it be reasonable to think they get done of the one and done rule in basketball? Depending on how this shakes out of course. I could see that happening.

i'm not sure what exactly these players are expecting as far

Oct 3, 2019, 8:23 AM

as pay amounts. I imagine that a lot of them have "pipe dreams" of what they'd be making, BUT if a Trevor Lawrence is worth $1 million to Nike then what is a Left Guard worth?.....$20K, $30K, $40K??

there would be a value of sorts for pretty much everybody set by the top money maker.

Companies would flock to the most marketable markets and the separation between the "haves" and "have nots" would not only vastly increase it would likely Kill the athletic departments of a bunch of the "have nots"

Re: i'm not sure what exactly these players are expecting as far

Oct 3, 2019, 8:26 AM

Team Revenue
Texas $129,000,000.00
Notre Dame $112,000,000.00
Penn State $100,000,000.00
LSU $96,000,000.00
Michigan $94,000,000.00
Alabama $93,000,000.00
Georgia $90,000,000.00
Arkansas $89,000,000.00
Auburn $88,000,000.00
Oklahoma $87,000,000.00
Florida $86,000,000.00
Tennessee $82,000,000.00
Ohio State $78,000,000.00
Nebraska $77,000,000.00
Wisconsin $67,000,000.00
South Carolina $64,000,000.00
Texas A&M $63,000,000.00
Southern Cal $62,000,000.00
Michigan St $59,000,000.00

Just for reference.

Re: i'm not sure what exactly these players are expecting as far

Oct 3, 2019, 8:32 AM [ in reply to i'm not sure what exactly these players are expecting as far ]

Well I imagine that the "valuations" will play out. Lawrence is going to need for his lineman to happy (and well fed to block for him). If he's making 1.5 million and his left guard is making 15,000... he might be inclined to pay his lineman bonus checks for good blocking. For instance, If you don't let up a sack, $20,000 bonus/ game (coming from Lawrence's own agent/bank account). Something to that extent. That's how markets work. Now the second string lineman will work harder to become first string. Increasing the competition and need to get paid.

yeah, disaster waiting to happen if it makes it that far***

Oct 3, 2019, 8:41 AM

Oct 3, 2019, 8:04 AM [ in reply to No, Nike may get the "top of the top" players, but it will.. ]

I would also add to that. I think its gonna be a lot of money from boosters as well. More so than anything from a company. "Hey 5 star, if you come rake my yard once a semester, thats worth 30k a semester to me."

Oct 3, 2019, 8:35 AM

Exactly. Some of that goes on under the table and is very hard for the FBI and NCAA to regulate.

Oct 3, 2019, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Pay to Play Act ]

I agree that it will follow Price's law where the top gets most of the wealth. But imagine if the this endorsement deal would have been in place when the the fab five was at Michigan. Nike or Adidas would have paid each player millions. That's 5/12 right there who would have benefited, immensely. I imagine that it wont all be pure selfishness, players will congregate and have team commercials.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:00 AM

I agree with that. I would say, I am sort of short sidedly looking at football because of the number of players.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:16 AM

Yeah. I think the basketball players are going to benefit immensely (some of them are already getting paid, illegally). The football players are going to have to get more creative. It is going to be very hard for the NFL to create a minor league system unless they can somehow use existing infrastructure to have their minor leagues.

I still think this is an overall win for the players, long-term. It will be chaos at first, but markets typically correct over time.

Imagine Seth Beer at Clemson. He could have come to Clemson and easily made 100-500K through endorsement deals and baseball bat promotions, his own personal hitting lessons, etc.

he wouldn't have come to clemson b/c we wouldn't be able....

Oct 3, 2019, 8:29 AM

to out bid the deeper pockets.

You act like Clemson would have the star players that we currently have..........we wouldn't!

yes, in theory and on the surface allowing a player to get a few bucks from an autograph or a few hundred/thousands from a camp sounds harmless, but it would destroy not only football, but entire Athletic Departments.

Re: he wouldn't have come to clemson b/c we wouldn't be able....

Oct 3, 2019, 8:38 AM

He wouldn't necessarily have to be in New York or LA to have a big market. With today's technology, he could self promote through twitter, instagram, facebook, etc. It will be incumbent on the school's business schools to create "value" and capital.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,023
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic