Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody else tired of playoff politics already?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Anybody else tired of playoff politics already?

Nov 12, 2014, 1:17 PM

These arguments about Who Beat Who, which conference is really better, and which one of about 15 flawed teams - any one of which could beat any of the others on any given day - is getting really old. Already.

I actually think the field is deeper than fifteen teams, this year. I legitimately think, with Deshaun Watson at QB, Clemson could beat anybody this year, up to and including our alleged #1, Mississippi State. I also think Clemson would beat Oregon. Our offense is exactly the same...and our defense is significantly better. Well, such things are decided on the field, alas...it's just the ACC's stupidity that allowed it to be decided in Week 3, with Jameis Winston suspended, and with a bunch of still wet-behind-the-ears players who were in no way ready for the big stage starting at Clemson.

Seriously, ACC. Who puts their two marquee teams together in Week 3? It deflates the entire rest of the season. And for that matter, why are Clemson and FSU still in the same division, when it's painfully obvious the ACC has become - and will remain, FSU and Clemson and Then Everyone Else?

I'd like to make it a whole lot simpler than that. If you win a Power 5 title, you're in the playoffs. If you're having a season like Marshall is now and like Boise had repeatedly, and you're curb-stomping all the small teams in your schedule, you're in the playoffs. Every so often an exceptional team does come outta the mid-majors and it's the American way to give 'em a shot at the title. That's six teams. To round it out you need two more...OK, if you wanna spend your time politicking for those last two at-large spots, fine. Give the SEC one at-large spot (you know it's going to happen anyway, why fight it?), and rather than argue Baylor or TCU, the Big 12 champ gets the seeded spot and the runner-up gets the at-large, if one of those teams happens to be the highest-rated team left.

And then have at it. And whaddya know...a legit national champ is produced.

Why is this hard?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody else tired of playoff politics already?

Nov 12, 2014, 1:17 PM

BTW...why is "m a r q u e e" blotted out on T-net?

Nov 12, 2014, 1:19 PM

Soccer could answer more specifically, but it is an HTML c.o.d.e. that the overlords obviously do not want us to use on the boards.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it's used in HTML coding to scroll or slide text across***

Nov 12, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Anybody else tired of playoff politics already? ]

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

System is full of fallacy

It will hopefully work out, but the office watercooler jargin is in full effect. It will continue to be this way,and in this may be the genius in the program. As if people do not already love college football, well now you will get that much more input from some who have no idea what a football looks like lol...

i'll settle for beating FSU

you win, you advance

we didn't

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: i'll settle for beating FSU

Nov 12, 2014, 2:10 PM

I give this man a thumbs up because we can use all the hypotheticals we want but I know for a fact I don't coach Clemson and I don't think none of you do either so until the coaching staff gets it right and make the team play for 4 quarters or until the last seconds tick off the clock then we will have to deal with whatever comes from our beloved team.

One problem... The "American way" no longer means what

Nov 12, 2014, 1:23 PM

it did in the past. Everything is 'top down' from those in power. CFB is a microcosm of society in general.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One problem... The "American way" no longer means what

Nov 12, 2014, 1:55 PM

No, it means everyone gets a trophy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2014, 1:57 PM

right, everyone gets a trophy, except a handful of people who get checks.

your sarcasm meter should be reading at about 50% btw.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2014, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: One problem... The "American way" no longer means what ]

This

i just think it's funny how people

Nov 12, 2014, 2:03 PM

Panic before it plays out. There were 3 sec teams in first ranking, and it's already down to 1 and we still have a ways to go. I suggested after the first ranking came out that it would change substantially by the end, and we have already seen two replaced.

I disagree that we need 16, I think 4 or 8 is optimal and would be happy with either. 4 can and will work despite what all the shock jocks are saying, but it likely will keep increasing due to $$$.

I don't think the ACC wants us v FSU twice a year, ever

Nov 12, 2014, 2:05 PM

because if we split, neither team would most likely make the playoff. If we played them during the year and then again in the ACCCG, it wouldn't be helpful. Sort of like how SEC has all the good teams in the West and the B1G has OSU and MSU in the same division.

Nov 12, 2014, 2:13 PM

It's unfair to say the ACC is Clemson, FSU, and then everyone else. While down, VT has many more championships than we so in the past 15 years. They'll reemerge one day, just like we are doing now. Also, can we show some love to David Cutcliffe and Duke. You don't win as many games as they have the last two years by accident.

Our offense is exactly the same as Oregon?? We might

Nov 12, 2014, 2:14 PM

beat them at home, but get killed on the road and lose by 10 or so on a neutral field. I think you can say the same about the top 7 in the CFP rankings.

Also, I don't think it was clear that we were the #2 team in preseason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big12 doesn't deserve 2 auto bids***

Nov 12, 2014, 2:44 PM

Nov 12, 2014, 4:07 PM

[1]Playoff idear . . .
Posted: Nov 11, 2014 5:30 PM

5 Power Conference Champions would be automatic. The other 3 non-champion teams would come from the next highest ranked teams with the following restrictions:

1. Maximum of 2 teams from any conference in the Playoff.
2. No non-champions that suffered a loss to another playoff team in their last 2 games.
3. Members of the same conference would meet in the first round.

Use the biggest Bowls in the playoffs. The other bowls could still be played as a reward to good teams that don't make the playoffs.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16218611

After reading your idea, I would change mine to add, in addition to the 5 power conference champions, the highest rated non-power conference champion, such as Marshall (this year), then the next 2 highest rated teams that fit the criteria outlined above.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic