Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN: Lattimore one of the most overrated football players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

ESPN: Lattimore one of the most overrated football players

Jul 26, 2012, 9:41 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8198316/marcus-lattimore-tyrann-mathieu-nation-most-overrated-players-ncf

Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina Gamecocks

This analysis needs to start by making one point crystal clear -- Lattimore's inclusion on this list is not an indictment of his talent level, as his elite physical skills are undisputed.

What is in dispute is Lattimore's track record. He ranked fifth out of six SEC "bell cow" running backs in an Insider analysis I did in July 2011 that reviewed the 2010 performance of each of those ball carriers in a wide variety of metrics.

Last season Lattimore got off to a very good start with 534 rushing yards in the first three games but it has to be noted that two of those contests were against East Carolina and Navy, non-BCS conference teams that ended the season ranked 81st and 92nd, respectively, in the Football Bowl Subdivision rush yards per game allowed category.

After that great start against mostly overmatched competition, Lattimore's performance tailed off as he racked up only 284 yards on 76 carries (3.7 yards per rush) in the next four contests.

Lattimore's inconsistent track record is compounded by his having to come back from a midseason ACL injury. His progress on the injury recovery front is impressive (he looks to be on track to start preseason camp in August) but when that element is added the other issues, it shows Lattimore has some hurdles to overcome to reach his potential. In a league with fellow first-team All-SEC pick Knile Davis of Arkansas and Alabama's Eddie Lacy (who is poised for a breakout season after last year's 7.1 ypc total), it's going to be tough for Lattimore to emerge as the conference's best back.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Jul 26, 2012, 9:45 AM

If you put any running back in South Carolina's Offense the stats will be the same. I think their back up (Kenny Miles?) did just as good of a job as Lattimore. Lattimore gets the hype because he was a 5-star recruit.

Re: Agreed

Jul 26, 2012, 10:42 AM

only someone on the tigernet would make a comment like that. give credit where credit is due. Lattimore is a stud. we would be more than happy to have him. you also probably just jinxed us, and he is going to have 150 yrds against us now. thx.

That's not even close to accurate***

Jul 26, 2012, 9:51 AM

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100% he is a HUGE question mark heading into 2012

Jul 26, 2012, 9:55 AM

Nobody knows how he's going to bounce back from a torn ACL. Not a knock on the kid at all, he's very talented, but for a RB that's a crucial injury that can make or break a career.

I hope he comes back 100%, but that has yet to be seen, so for now he's definitely overrated.

GO TIGERS!

Re: I agree 100% he is a HUGE question mark heading into 2012

Jul 26, 2012, 10:03 AM

ML is a stud rb imo.

Anyone coming off ACL surgery is a ??, but if Willis McGahee

Jul 26, 2012, 10:12 AM

can do it Lattimore certainly can. "Underrated" is not a tag I would put on a guy who runs like he does. He was the real deal, and coot or not I hope he returns to what he was.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not over-rated...more like uncertain.

Jul 26, 2012, 10:18 AM

There's really no telling how good Lattimore will be until the knee is tested, then how long it takes for him to return to game form.

The claims that he should be in the Heisman hunt are, I agree, silly. But the kid can still be a formidable runner. We shall see.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not over-rated...more like uncertain.

Jul 26, 2012, 11:45 AM

I agree with this statement. I think because of this injury, we will see the other backs be used more often, keeping MLs carries down early hurting his heisman status

Re: Not over-rated...more like uncertain.

Jul 26, 2012, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Not over-rated...more like uncertain. ]

I pretty much agree with this.

Does he have things to prove this year? Without a doubt. No matter how well his rehab has gone, it is still on him to come out and show that he is back to where he was and to stay healthy for a whole season.

I certainly wouldn't call him overrated though. His track record and production show that when he is healthy he is a very good runner.

No doubt he is a question mark. Frankly, I'm not counting on

Jul 26, 2012, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Not over-rated...more like uncertain. ]

him to be a factor this year.

i guess you gotta find something to write about

Jul 26, 2012, 10:20 AM

he's the best RB they've had since coke head. If anything is inconsistent its his health. But thats no blame to him...that his coach. You can't run somebody 45 times a game and expect them not to be worn slap out. Fact is that spurrier has no regard for his players, it's about HE and HE only. Whoever he needs to ruin to reach his goals he will. Unfortunately ML may walk out of his days at carolina as a cripple with no NFL future.

Re: i guess you gotta find something to write about

Jul 26, 2012, 12:49 PM

Lattimore was not run 45 times a game. Every injury he has sustained during his career at USC has been an injury that he could have sustained on the very first carry of his career....the number of carries he has had has had nothing to do with it.

Lattimore sustained a slightly twisted ankle in the UK game in 2010. He was shut down for the very next game versus Vanderbilt more for PRECAUTIONARY reasons than the fact that his ankle wasn't ready to go. The very next game after that (UT), Lattimore plays and has (at the time) his best outing as a Gamecock in rushing yardage (29 carries for 184 yds 1 td). Not much of an injury....

He sustains an injury in the bowl game versus FSU, where he makes the poor decision to take on Greg Reid instead of slipping contact, and is knocked out of the game. Other than some lacerations inside his mouth that required stitches, again not much of an injury...

The ACL injury is the ONLY injury of substance Lattimore has sustained in his career at South Carolina. He was not even the primary participant in the play when it happened: he was off to the side, blocking a MSU defender for a teammate. Another MSU player lunges at the other USC player with the ball, totally misses him, and his momentum carries him into the back of Lattimore's knees. Lattimore never saw him coming.

Lattimore had 15 carries vs UK (injury came immediately after halftime), 1 carry vs FSU (after a month off for preparation for the bowl game), and 17 carries vs MSU. The injuries had totally nothing to do with any perceived wear and tear from rushing the ball during the season(s)...

It wasn't a poor decision. The ball was badly thrown

Jul 26, 2012, 1:07 PM

by Garcia and led him straight into the contact. As soon as he whipped his head around, he got knocked the h3ll out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It wasn't a poor decision. The ball was badly thrown

Jul 26, 2012, 1:49 PM

Not true, he had a solid 2 seconds after catching the pass and turning around...he saw Reid, and stated afterwards that he saw him, but just didn't think he would get hit as hard as he did. IMO he should've tried to put a juke move, or just give Reid a side of his shoulder like he's so excellent at doing, and slip the tackle (it wasn't really a tackle attempt: Reid was just trying to lay a head-on hit on Lattimore. All shoulders, no arms).

The play was executed the way it was drawn out....Lattimore was in fairly open ground. Reid closed in quickly on Lattimore. Lattimore just didn't try to elude Reid, like he's now famously known for doing with most LBs....

Didn't look like he was in a position to juke him***

Jul 26, 2012, 2:31 PM

well, it sounds like this chickentroll needs to send an

Jul 26, 2012, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: i guess you gotta find something to write about ]

email to the author of the article in ESPN.....along with the thousands of other chickenmites who undoubtedly have by now also

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i guess you gotta find something to write about

Jul 26, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to i guess you gotta find something to write about ]

Meanwhile Clemson's coaching staff nearly destroys Will Korn's career by making him play with substantial shoulder injuries, nearly destroys Kyle Parker's baseball career by making him play with substantial rib injuries, and could have severely damaged Andre Ellington's career by forcing him to come into games with an injured big toe SO substantially, that initial reports of it stated that the digit was loosely hanging onto the foot by nothing but skin.

Clemson fans have absolutely NOTHING to say about how South Carolina handles their injured football players....

Re: Good Lord. You are clearly making claims you know

Jul 26, 2012, 3:04 PM

nothing about with regard to these players. Why you are allowed to post here is up to the moderators because if it were up to me you would be gone along with your other chicken brethren!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the crisis arises the time for preparedness has passed.

I will be glad when he is gone

Jul 26, 2012, 10:26 AM

I think lattimore is the reason for USuc's success the past few years. If he played for Bama or Arky what would his numbers be. He was the only offense and every team new it.

Heard a coot say the other day he was released by Dr.

Jul 26, 2012, 10:28 AM

They also mentioned he was a 100%. Id this true? I thought the status quo was to wait a full year from the time of the injury.

Re: Heard a coot say the other day he was released by Dr.

Jul 26, 2012, 2:25 PM

He starting sprinting (straight ahead only) at the beginning of April. For the last month or two he has been fully participating in 7 on 7 type summer workouts. He should be ready for fall camp.

That's what I heard as well

Jul 26, 2012, 2:30 PM

He'll be ready by the start of the year and I hope he does well. Just not against us

It doesn't necessarily take a year to come back from an acl

Jul 26, 2012, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Heard a coot say the other day he was released by Dr. ]

but you won't know if his a 100% until he actual plays in a game. So this crap that he is 100% is an exaggeration.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think Lattimore is overrated.

Jul 26, 2012, 11:09 AM

He's a fantastic RB, and seems to be a kid with good character (a rarity at SCAR.)

However, I feel like Jeffery, Garcia, and Shaw were/are all WAY overrated. It made their offense fairly predictable & put too much of the burden on Lattimore. That won't change much this year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is fundamentally perfect at the RB position, but at the..

Jul 26, 2012, 6:48 PM

same time he is slow. He has rarely had long yardage gains at scu. As fundamentally sound as he is, at the college level even if ran a 4.6 he should be getting more long yardage plays. He gets a lot of yards because he gets like 30-35 carries a game. I would say his 40 time is probably like 4.75 - 4.8.

He is slow and doesn't break of long yardage runs….

Jul 26, 2012, 6:44 PM

so yes he does fit into the overrated category.

I think they were better without him last year.***

Jul 26, 2012, 7:05 PM

You have a point, before he was injured they gave him….

Jul 26, 2012, 7:11 PM

the ball too much and their offense was predictable. While, their offense was by no means good after he got injured, they were more effective when they spread the ball out more after he was out.

This thread is packed full of morons. Geez.***

Jul 26, 2012, 7:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic