Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
how do you guys feel about the 2 play calls on 1 yard line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

how do you guys feel about the 2 play calls on 1 yard line

Oct 16, 2016, 10:43 AM

Just curious, not questioning the coaches. Middle of 2nd quarter, we're up 3-0, and go on a nice 12 play drive. Punch it in here and we're up 10-zip and start to feel the mojo. 3rd and goal from the 1... Watson keeper from shotgun... no gain. 4th and goal from the 1... Watson keeper from shotgun... no gain. Come away with no points and NCS gets a big shot of momentum.

I know Watson's had a lot of success finding the end zone in these situations, but... (1) I still worry every time he carries the football anyway, can't afford for him to get hurt, and (2) me personally, I'd rather him be up under center and hand it off. With the "deepest stable of RBs we've had in years" don't you think with 2 cracks at it from the 1, that one of those guys can find a seam, or go up and over, etc?

In general, I'm not crazy about the shotgun near the goal line anyway. Besides the possibility of a bad snap sending you backwards 10-15 yards, why start the play from the 5 yard line when you're at the one? Doesn't a slower-developing play like that give the defense more time to crash the line and stack everything up? And if the QB is gonna keep it, wouldn't you rather just see the usual QB sneak?

I don't know, just curious how everybody else feels about that. And yes, there's a reason I don't make $5 million a year to coach football (LOL) so don't go there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I despise the shotgun on the goal line push and can't recall it working

Oct 16, 2016, 10:46 AM

Unless you want to count SC State, we are way to physical and have the tools to push out way in. Please do it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I concur 110%

Oct 16, 2016, 10:47 AM

Remember the 1 yard goal line situation at #1 FSU in 2014 where the shotgun & high snap lost us 15 yards and no frigging points..and a loss eventually after outplaying Noles!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how do you guys feel about the 2 play calls on 1 yard line

Oct 16, 2016, 10:48 AM

Still don't know why they didn't run the jumbo package, especially after they had it subbed in before the timeout, then went with the usual lineup.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Oct 16, 2016, 10:50 AM

Should have run the jumbo package and the calls were just plain awful IMO!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 10:52 AM

Ok- so what if everyone knows what's coming. Run it until someone can stop it I say. Had we scored there I wouldn't have had to drink so much yesterday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quit effing around...put the two big boys in there and be

Oct 16, 2016, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: how do you guys feel about the 2 play calls on 1 yard line ]

done with it. That is how I feel about it.

This and also in OT***

Oct 16, 2016, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: how do you guys feel about the 2 play calls on 1 yard line ]

Oct 16, 2016, 10:49 AM

Just my 2 cents and I know no one really cares- I posted something about the O line earlier. If we can't hand it off and punch it in from the 1 on 2 tries at home in a friendly situation how the hell do we do it against someone like Alabama. It is what it is. I know Gallman was out, but we've got 3 other RBS in the program for 3 years plus. We won- I love it, but doesn't mean I don't want more for us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 10:59 AM

...If I'm not mistaken, this is the same drive where, it sure looked to me, that C.J. Fuller broke the plane of the goal line on 2nd down. It looked like a bad spot. I will also agree, that the odds probably go up, in making the distance for a T.D., if DeShaun is under center, instead of shotgun, in that circumstance. But then, what do I know? I'm just a truck driver, not a well compensated coach, either! LOL! Anywho, TIGERS WIN! TIGERS WIN! TIGERRRRRRS WIIIIINNNN!!!

Oct 16, 2016, 11:10 AM

I myself am over the halfback dive and designed QB keeper until the offensive line finds their heart.

Oct 16, 2016, 11:10 AM

I feel like if we are 3 yards or closer to the goal bring in Wilkins and DEX and dare them to stop us. My guess is 99 times out of 100 we run it in without resistance. That other 1 time Wilkins catches a TD pass!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure 3rd down was supposed to be a keeper.

Oct 16, 2016, 1:17 PM

Watson bobbled the snap and couldn't make the handoff. It's possible it was supposed to be a fake, but either way the bobble threw everything off.

maybe the thinking is that with DW in shotgun the defense

Oct 16, 2016, 11:13 AM

has to worry more about covering a pass play? I don't know, just thinking out loud again.

Also, I'm very aware that if DW finds a gap and scores, we're not having this conversation...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: maybe the thinking is that with DW in shotgun the defense

Oct 16, 2016, 2:03 PM

Yea, hard to run goal line on madden sometimes.

I run shotgun on madden and it works , I know it's a game but

Oct 16, 2016, 11:19 AM

The jumbo pkg is it for me... has anyone stopped it yet?

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple. 3 words = Get Under Center***

Oct 16, 2016, 1:14 PM

Oct 16, 2016, 1:14 PM

Good play but bad personnel.
Should have had jumbo package in.

Big thing was that I felt Fuller had scored. Why run the

Oct 16, 2016, 1:15 PM

hurry on 2nd down and give them no time to replay?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 1:24 PM

Whoever started the "we have the deepest stable of running backs we have had in years" needs to be drug tested. We have one running back we can count on. Quality wise, I think we have the thinnest running back situation I remember.

I hear you but

Oct 16, 2016, 1:34 PM

We've been running the same offense, including shotgun in short yardage, for the last 22 games. We've won 21 of them, and even the one we lost I distincly remember smashing a TD in Alabama's face from a yard out and in the shotgun.

Teams fail every Saturday in short yardage situations, from both the shotgun and under center. Being under center does not in any way, shape, or form guarantee or improve our chances at success. To that point, we are in the most succesful run in our history..obviously its due to coaching decisions and utlizing our talent to do what we do best. Its easy to question the few calls that dont work, but instead it makes more sense to look at the vast majority that do.. and have us on track to be in the playoffs again.

I disagree a bit.

Oct 16, 2016, 1:40 PM

There was half a dozen ways to get a sure score on that play, our jumbo package comes to mind. A conservative coach, which Dabo usually is, would have taken the 3 and moved on. Imo, I think he was play calling for DW to get a rushing touchdown just for stats and Heisman contention. Now this may be where we disagree the most but IMO, Dabo has always been a little too conservative at time so I'm OK with him giving DW what he needs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like CJ Fuller was in on 2nd down, negating the need for 3rd and 4th.***

Oct 16, 2016, 1:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That early in the game

Oct 16, 2016, 2:07 PM

I would have preferred to kick it and take the sure points. I know that is not a popular sentiment amongst you macho men but, I said to my husband that I hoped we didn't need those three points at the end of the game!??

Should have taken our time after 2nd down

Oct 16, 2016, 2:09 PM

I'm pretty sure Fuller was in but we rushed it and got stood up again. Sometimes our speed hurts us in moments like that on the goal line.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic