Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Dabo Swinney: Commitment is a two-way street
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story: Dabo Swinney: Commitment is a two-way street

Aug 7, 2015, 8:45 PM

Dabo Swinney: Commitment is a two-way street

Commitment isn’t a one-way street, something that head coach Dabo Swinney reiterated to TigerNet following Friday afternoon’s practice. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if I know if I know if I know that

Aug 7, 2015, 8:50 PM

I'm seeing things.

Tigernet will hate all that logic***

Aug 7, 2015, 8:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigernet will hate all that logic***

Aug 8, 2015, 9:29 AM

Forget Tigernet getting it...will Phil Kornhole get it?

Re: That makes sense.***

Aug 7, 2015, 9:00 PM

Re: New Story: Dabo Swinney: Commitment is a two-way street

Aug 7, 2015, 9:03 PM

I agree with dabo's philosophy and logic 100%. As long as we are transparent about how we do things at clemson then there shouldn't be an issue. When someone commits, there process should be over (of course there are exceptions). When a player commits it alters and changes the programs recruiting strategy. I am with you dabo.

Aug 7, 2015, 9:16 PM

100% agree!

hmmm...didn't feaster visit Tenn...is he not committed***

Aug 7, 2015, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dabo Swinney: Commitment is a two-way street ]

Re: hmmm...didn't feaster visit Tenn...is he not committed***

Aug 7, 2015, 9:34 PM

I would like to know the story behind Feaster as well. I have been asked about him and how he was able to go to TN, but I don't know the answer. Does anyone?

Re: hmmm...didn't feaster visit Tenn...is he not committed***

Aug 7, 2015, 9:48 PM

Feaster's visit was an unofficial visit. Dabo has no problem with unofficial visits, it's the official visits that he does not want committed players to take.

Feaster's visit wasn't an official visit

Aug 7, 2015, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: hmmm...didn't feaster visit Tenn...is he not committed*** ]

Dabo rule is for official visits

Its a case by case situation....

Aug 7, 2015, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: hmmm...didn't feaster visit Tenn...is he not committed*** ]

There's different circumstances to why recruits go on visits. First off Feaster has never said he wasn't 100% committed. Second it also has to do with did the recruit explain his reasonings for going to another university and what was said after the visit. There are so many variables, people who say well Feaster visited another school and Dabo didn't take his offer so Dabo is a hypocrite just doesn't get it and are probably the ones who stir up more trouble than its worth (not pointing finger at anyone of you but you've seen them). There are times when a recruit is going to say what they know a certain person wants to hear. The Tennessee media probably took everything out of Feaster's mouth as him wanting to leave Clemson and come to Rocky Top. In the society of getting as many clicks as possible that we live in today what better way to get those clicks from Tennessee fans then to say how a 5 star was blown away and is second guessing his commitment to Clemson and it all had to do with the brilliance of Butch Jones and how wonderful Tennessee is. So you have to take things carefully because people are easily mislead. Not one time did Dabo give a hard policy anywhere in that statement and thats because its a fluid situation dealt on a case by case scenario and that is based on the feelings of the recruits and coaches before and after a visit to another school....

D Hood referenced it in a story earlier as an "ask for

Aug 7, 2015, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: hmmm...didn't feaster visit Tenn...is he not committed*** ]

forgiveness afterwards" kind of thing, which apparently following his contact when he got home he reaffirmed his commitment to Clemson and opted out of future recruiting activity, with his family's full backing, and all is good. Smith might love Clemson, but he's not ready to marry quite yet. Dabo's got this right on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2015, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dabo Swinney: Commitment is a two-way street ]

And Dabo couldn't be any fairer to the ones he excepts their commitment, and to the ones that he has to turn down and say no to. With Dabo's way, there isn't and want ever be a kid on signing day getting a call saying we can't except them bc Dabo filled their commitment slot with someone else and leaving the kid without a solid scholarship offer on signing day. Every committed kid to Clemson will have a scholarship. I think that a kid was left without a scholarship a day before signing day at that other college in the midlands of SC just a couple of years ago!!! Also, a committed kid at Clemson will never have any worries of his scholarship being pulled if he don't pan out to what the coaches thought he would be. Every committed player will have the opportunity to graduate from Clemson if they choose to do so under full scholarship. Clemson has had a committed kid on full scholarship that never had a uniform assigned to him bc he developed a medical condition before he was ever an active member of the team. Committed kids to Clemson FB will receive a free college education regardless of his worthiness to the FB team. Kids can't buy a more loyalty contract than what Dabo Swinney offers for their solid commitment to his FB program. Dabo Swinney's way is the best way for both Clemson and the recruit!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hypothetical

Aug 7, 2015, 9:19 PM

Say Rashaun lost his spot and CU tells him - Sorry. We are full at LB. We won't take another until our 2017 class.
Could he commit to the 2017 class if he wanted?
The coaches call the shots, but could say a 2016 recruit commit to the 2017 class?
I know this will never be the case but just wondering.

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Yes, as long as he has not signed or played somewhere else.***

Aug 7, 2015, 9:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypothetical

Aug 7, 2015, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Hypothetical ]

@oghost I promise we will make room for Rashaun smith! No doubt about it.

Re: Hypothetical

Aug 7, 2015, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Hypothetical ]

Actually, it happens a lot. Many recruits of some schools commit but then can't get in. They go to a JC or to a prep school and could commit to anybody. Later they qualify, and some go to the originally committed to school. Some choose another school. Some schools welcome the guy back, but others don't and move on. I think I'm right on that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on, Rashaun!!******

Aug 8, 2015, 5:46 AM [ in reply to Hypothetical ]

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

It's my understanding that....

Aug 8, 2015, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Hypothetical ]

When a kid graduated high school, he has 5 years to play 4 years of ball. So if he did redeclare for 2017, he would lose one of the 5 years to play 4.

Re: It's my understanding that....

Aug 8, 2015, 11:35 AM

The clock starts when the recruit enrolls in college not at high school graduation

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

he said it better than I did last night in my post.

Aug 7, 2015, 9:23 PM

I'll go with Coach on it!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Thank you Dabo. I posted when all this started that I hoped

Aug 7, 2015, 9:29 PM

our coaching staff wouldn't let these kids play them like a violin. They wanted us in their back pocket and then go and flip on us even later in the game. Well, not now. And as I said about a week ago, time for our coached to start recruiting a linebacker to replace the guy. I came on here and said he is not committed the minute I read the story about him wanting to take visits. I take any "commitment" that is a year before signing day with a grain of salt. It is just amazing that Dabo tells these kids what he thinks a commitment is and is not and yet they still jump all over the airwaves to announce their "commitment".

Re: Thank you Dabo. I posted when all this started that I hoped

Aug 7, 2015, 11:01 PM

I think that this all goes to the way a person is raised. Some are never taught what commitment means, and it probably goes all the way back to the parents were never taught what commitment meant. For me, my commitment is the same as giving my word, and if my word isn't any good, that would say that I'm not any better than my word.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you Dabo. I posted when all this started that I hoped

Aug 7, 2015, 11:51 PM

I agree with you! My word is my bond. Your word is the last thing you have. When it's gone, so is your worth to society. Of course, then you would qualify for politics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure...

Aug 7, 2015, 9:57 PM

that's the reason he speaks with each recruit personally before Clemson takes their commitment. That's a part of the 'sit down,' in Dabo's office with recruits is about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As The Donald would say: don't commit stupid if you ain't sure!

Aug 7, 2015, 10:04 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2015, 10:09 PM

The same points that Dabo was making are why I can never imagine how a college baseball coach could possibly fill a roster with quality ball players at the proper breakdown of pitchers, infielders, outfielders, etc.. Not only does he have to compete against other college programs but he also has to compete against the pro draft. In baseball you might recruit 4 of the best HS pitchers in the nation and have them all "commit" to your program only to lose them all to the pros late in the process. At that point you're back to the drawing board. Do you recruit only the guys that are the equivalent of 3*, because you know all of the 5* recruits are going to go pro? I hope that this never happens in the world of football.

The truly amazing thing is that Dabo

Aug 8, 2015, 9:47 AM

had to explain this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The truly amazing thing is that Dabo

Aug 8, 2015, 11:23 AM

I know, and that's really scary thinking about that many people don't know what commitment means. Welcome to the Me Me self world!!!

Dabo is my bro bro

Aug 8, 2015, 10:46 AM

I love Dabo. He doesn't play games with recruits. Just an honest guy.

Re: Dabo is my bro bro

Aug 8, 2015, 11:49 AM

My feelings exactly. When I was in school Frank Howard was HC and while I'll always be grateful to Coach Ford for what he did, Dabo is just everything we could ask for in a HC and I wouldn't trade him for Saban or Myer.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic