Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
heard that Swofford is trying to change the ACCCG
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

heard that Swofford is trying to change the ACCCG

Jan 15, 2014, 3:49 PM

to where the two best teams play in the game as opposed to division winners( over a runner up with a better record....i.e. Clemson this year). I am sure that dismal attendance at the ACCCG has EVERYTHING to do with this. Anybody heard anything on this?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

BTW, I don't have a link. It was on Harp on Sports in Sav

Jan 15, 2014, 3:50 PM

He is normally spot on with stuff.

I hope that happens but I also think a good idea would be

Jan 15, 2014, 3:54 PM

to stop the championship games and add more teams to the playoff. That'll sell more tickets than seeing a team play the same team twice in a year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the idea solution though it...

Jan 15, 2014, 4:24 PM

may eliminate a division champ from the playoffs and denies them of a CCG. Not fair, not at all fair. Imagine Clemson being the slighted team, for instance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is something that the NCAA would have to change the

Jan 15, 2014, 3:56 PM

current rules about CCGs to allow the ACC and others to do this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds about right...thx. Think the coots would have even

Jan 15, 2014, 4:03 PM

seen an SECCG if that rule was not there? Its a shame to NOT have the best two teams in a CG. I get it though. Rules are rules.

Re: heard that Swofford is trying to change the ACCCG

Jan 15, 2014, 4:02 PM

This was reported a few days ago on ESPN. He was stating that he hoped the NCAA would change their rules to allow flexibility in scheduling and to let the conference set the rules on how to choose it's competitors in their Championship games.

Not a good idea...Look at this season as example

Jan 15, 2014, 4:05 PM

This is not a good idea.

If Clemson played FSU in the ACCCG this year, I assume we would have another loss. Clemson would have dropped out of Top-15 and wouldn't have been eligible for BCS game.

Now I would have been fine with a rematch in the National Championship game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your last sentence would happen in the SEC but not ACC***

Jan 15, 2014, 4:07 PM

I heard somethin such- but after we (either fsu or CU) play

Jan 15, 2014, 4:06 PM

musical chairs in efforts of improving the conf, lets ask them for some help (i.e. OB refs/penalties) and we won't get chit.

FSU and CU is carrying the conf even while in the same div.

here's a short ESPN.com piece on it

Jan 15, 2014, 4:10 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10273908/acc-commissioner-john-swofford-favors-title-game-qualifying-redo

i read the other day that changing the divisions rules would allow more flexible scheduling.. wouldn't have to play everyone in your division every year and wouldn't go so many years between playing teams in the other division

Re: heard that Swofford is trying to change the ACCCG

Jan 15, 2014, 4:12 PM

he needs to get the basket ball players to get more than a 3rd and 4th grade spelling education!

Hope it or something similar happens.***

Jan 15, 2014, 4:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That will bite the ACC in the butt, eventually.

Jan 15, 2014, 4:22 PM

The chances of being the best one loss team is within reach for us. Under circumstances where other conference produce a two loss champion we might make the playoffs with one loss.

The risk of being beaten twice by the same team eliminates a second ACC team from a playoff seed completely. A two loss ACC team has practically no shot at a seed. A two loss B1G or Pac team would be preferred because of the ACC's weak SOS.

It's also possible, that were a one loss ACC team, beat an undefeated ACC team the selection committee would eliminate both for being one loss with a weak of SOS.

If swaffie wants to give up playoff money for a full stadium for our CCG he's a maroon of the highest order. That's the most short sighted economics I've seen since my wife bought dresses of the wrong size cause they were half price.

In a perfect world the SOS of the ACC would be good enough to handle these situations but somehow I'm feeling like I shouldn't hold my breath.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is only one part of the discussion taking place in

Jan 15, 2014, 4:23 PM

the ACC. There are other issues being addressed as well, such as Division alignment, cross over games, game rotations. Right now some teams in the conference don't play each other for 12 years. All of that is being reviewed.

If I had to predict what will happen, I would say that as soon as the P5 are given more control over legislation that affects them, the rule concerning divisions and the way champions are awarded will be changed. The ACC will likely have the top 2 teams play for the Championship. The divisions will either be eliminated, changed, or scheduling set up so you don't play everyone in your division each year.

I think the best approach is going to see each team have 3 yearly "protected" games and the other 10 rotate, five this year and next (home and away), and the other five the 3rd and 4th year.

Swofford should realize we are a BBall conderence since he

Jan 15, 2014, 6:12 PM

brought in a bunch of bball schools when football accounts for approx. 85% of conf TV contract !

Stupid Idea.

Jan 15, 2014, 6:28 PM

Sounds like ESPN must me in there somewhere.

Why take your top two teams in the conference, and make sure one of them has ANOTHER loss?

This year, Clemson would not have gone to the Orange bowl, or FSU would not have played for the national championship.

No way in hades that swoffie is doing anything that could

Jan 15, 2014, 6:34 PM

benefit clemson. You can bet, if allowed. They will make it work against us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic