Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One concern about the D
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 2,503

One concern about the D

Nov 21, 2019, 9:28 AM

Looking at the stats, it seems that our D is getting less sacks than last year:

2018: 54 sacks in 15 games = 3.6 per game

2019: 33 sacks in 11 games = 3.0 per game

Anybody else think getting less sacks is a problem?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: One concern about the D

Nov 21, 2019, 9:29 AM

No.

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

A friend told me yesterday that last year, we were I think

Nov 21, 2019, 11:00 AM

72nd or maybe even 92 in plays given up over 20 yards........this year we are 2nd. SECOND. So I would trade the sacks for the reduction in big plays. Last year, we had 3 busts against the coots I think for over 50 yards each that accounted for 21 of their 35 points if I am correct. Wake's longest play last week was 10 yards. If the Coots don't have a play over 10 yards next week, I doubt they will score unless we put in major subs. But, being able to only take 72 guys, there are not that many that are not capable....if any....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah. QBs are being told they have to get rid of the ball

Nov 21, 2019, 9:30 AM

faster against The Tigers. So, sacks go down - but so does pass completion percentage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nah. QBs are being told they have to get rid of the ball

Nov 21, 2019, 9:33 AM

It has a lot more to do with scheme---we played a LOT of 3-man fronts the first 5 games of the year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:33 AM

Pretty sure we are planning to get 11 sacks next week to take care of this statistical issue.

We're #2 in Passing YPG Allowed

Nov 21, 2019, 9:36 AM

Last year we were #24 so we had to take more risks. Our strength on defense is the backend vs. the defensive line last year.

... but you weren't really looking for a serious response though, were you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

TAKE YOUR POST DOWN NOW!***

Nov 21, 2019, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Clemson Tigers football is always a serious subject***

Nov 21, 2019, 9:39 AM [ in reply to We're #2 in Passing YPG Allowed ]

We're the number one team in the country in

Nov 21, 2019, 9:36 AM

defensive pass efficiency. So no, I'm not concerned. I think it's to be expected that the sacks would go down a bit after losing our entire starting DL to the NFL from last year. But the back end of our defense is every bit as good this year as the DL was last year. Plus it wasn't the best start to the year for XT with injuries and seemingly being in the dog house with Dabo. His re-emergence as of late will pay off bigly the rest of the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^not exactly an expert on getting sacks***

Nov 21, 2019, 9:40 AM

Re: We're the number one team in the country in

Nov 21, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to We're the number one team in the country in ]

If I’m the first person to congratulate you on 88888 points, will you share your steak knives, GWP??

GO TIGERS

Absolutely!***

Nov 21, 2019, 10:47 AM

Re: We're the number one team in the country in

Nov 21, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: We're the number one team in the country in ]

88,000 are from her scoks and the other 888 were supposed to be TD's but people hit the wrong button

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

A couple of things...

Nov 21, 2019, 9:37 AM

Wilking, Ferrell and Lawrence have moved on. How many sacks did those three account for last year?

As a result, the defensive approach is a bit different this year since the strength is now the back seven.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:38 AM

Nope. I curious to know if the sacks per snap is down because opposing team plays appear to be down as both 1st downs and 3rd down conversions are lower. We might just be in a situation where we are getting fewer opponent snaps to get the sacks. Fine by me.

First downs:
2018: 15.8
2019: 12

3rd down conversions.
2018: 4.7
2019: 4.1

Sacks are like a box of Chocolate

Nov 21, 2019, 9:38 AM

you never know what you will get inside.

Francis Marion®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're usually rushing three to shut down the run and passing

Nov 21, 2019, 9:41 AM

It has worked marvelously. You should be worried more about being able to afford the championship tickets and where you're going to store all your championship souvenirs.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:43 AM

It concerns me but the back 7 have more than made up for it so far.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:45 AM

11-0.

Not a problem.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:47 AM

Actually we have more. Last year we had 54 sacks in 447 pass attempts which is one every 8.28 attempts. This year we have 34 in 263 attempts or one every 7.74 attempts. Total might be down but the rate is higher.

^^^^there's your answer bob!

Nov 21, 2019, 9:50 AM

SMDBH!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boom. The new “Venables lite” defense has been incredible***

Nov 21, 2019, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: One concern about the D ]

giving up less than 300 yds/game means they are not on the

Nov 21, 2019, 9:48 AM

field as much. Can you break this down into how many sacks/defensive play?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: giving up less than 300 yds/game means they are not on the

Nov 21, 2019, 10:23 AM

Sacks on running plays...you mean TFL...we have a ton of those as well...at the start of the season I was concerned about those cats but the speed and position seems to make them just as good...it is a total team effort and does not seem to matter if we play a great passing team or a great running team! We seem to do great with any configuration 3/4, 4/2, 5/2 dose not matter someone in position is going to plant your ###...Clemson tackles great...lately noticed poor tackling from LSU, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma...still have to defense and score points...have you seen any issues from the Tigers since UNC...intent and focus...it's Championship Time!

Re: giving up less than 300 yds/game means they are not on the

Nov 21, 2019, 1:47 PM

yep!! It's championship time!

I'm always concerned

Nov 21, 2019, 9:48 AM

about the D!

Signed,
cutigerbob®

Why don't you run along and play...

Nov 21, 2019, 9:52 AM

the men are trying to have a serious football discussion

Re: Why don't you run along and play...

Nov 21, 2019, 10:46 AM

The only team left that we MIGHT play that MIGHT be able to

Nov 21, 2019, 9:50 AM

exploit that is LSU. Georgia can't throw, Oregon, despite having a 1st round QB, doesn't throw well, and i think we can confuse Justin Fields and exploit his inexperience enough to make up for any lack of pressure.

We might have to win a high scoring game with LSU though.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:53 AM

With Wilkins gone, we are also not batting down as many passes. He was a master of timing his leap and knocking down passes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2019, 9:53 AM

You’re concern is not too totally unfounded; however, I believe your comparing apples to oranges - or in this case, a better D backfield as the strength of the team, versus the D-Line being the strength of the defense last year.

In 2018, we had 14 interceptions for the season. This year, we already have 13 interceptions - and we still have four games to play (did you see what I did their?).

But you’re mistake is fairly common with fans who’s biggest concern is if you’re orange overalls makes your legs look short, and so forth. So, don’t worry you’re pretty little head about footballing stuff, and go back to practicing your woohoos, okay?

ywia

PS: and what Bareftn said about # of pass attempts, too. . .

Message was edited by: Uncle Bill®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Yes.***

Nov 21, 2019, 10:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Well, Bob.

Nov 21, 2019, 10:01 AM

To entertain a joke with facts is kinda foolish but no one ever accuse me of not being foolish.

We've just entered championship stage so the jury is out on what our sack count will be at season's end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I refuse to participate in this childish nonsense.

Nov 21, 2019, 10:36 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Nov 21, 2019, 12:22 PM

<###### src='https://gfycat.com/ifr/SpectacularFaithfulGuppy' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='1004'>

via Gfycat

Replies: 35
| visibility 2,503
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic