Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's offical. Esso
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

It's offical. Esso

Apr 18, 2015, 10:56 PM

Is just as great as a remembered in college. Always used to love grabbing a beer and grub after a day of classes and afternoon on the lake. If give a lot to be a student again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was speculation around town the Esso would never

Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM

survive the closing of the road there in the 50's when the lake was backing up and they were working on the bridges and highways in that area. The Esso has had to re-invent itself more than once as financial hard times, legal pratfalls, and changes in ownership have occurred. And it has become as much a part of the Clemson tradition as the bus ride to the top of the hill. Speaking as one who's purchased bait and gasoline at "the club", I hope that iconic part of our small college town never disappears...no matter how many condo's they build around it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don't even have a liquor liscense anymore

Apr 18, 2015, 11:10 PM

Do they?

generally speaking....

Apr 18, 2015, 11:37 PM

an establishment is required by law to have a license(s) to sell alcohol.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its a completely different joint than it used to be

Apr 19, 2015, 12:05 AM

Which is good. Back in the day they just sold beer. No food or liqour and it was a real dive. Getting shut down years ago was the best thing that happened to it. It came close to being extinct.

Re: generally speaking....

Apr 19, 2015, 8:25 PM [ in reply to generally speaking.... ]

He may mean hard liquor. You can have a license to sell beer and wine and not liquor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Apr 19, 2015, 8:33 PM

They have liquor license. Trust me. Done many of shots there, even withe forestry boys Moonshiner. Some of the most Clemson people you'll meet.

Apr 19, 2015, 8:59 PM

I resemble that remark

Re: There was speculation around town the Esso would never

Apr 19, 2015, 8:17 AM [ in reply to There was speculation around town the Esso would never ]

My great-great uncle owned the Esso back during WWII. My grandfather worked there in high school. In those days it was still a service station but had tables and sold beers. The military college professors would follow the troop movements and debate them back and forth. At the end of the week, my uncle would right them a bill for "auto repairs". The funny part was that my grandfather could still name the professors and I know all the names because they are building now.

Please don't give up your ability to type.

Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's offical. Esso

Apr 19, 2015, 8:59 AM

I met my grandson at Larry's (Friars) after the spring game. Got to mix it up with Tahj and watch two beautiful young women make out, however, being with my niece and grandson in such a wild setting was disturbing. We left after one beer and went to Esso, felt like coming home after a long trip. A part of Clemson will die if the condos ever take over these hallowed grounds. Have had some of the best times of my life here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2015, 9:03 AM

Friars was better when it was explorers. I know some hated it but I loved wing night. Now on game days you're right, it's underage college kids getting a little to wild in public.

Friars was better when it was Charlie Ts

Apr 19, 2015, 1:17 PM

We spent a bunch of time at Charlie T's on the lake

Apr 19, 2015, 9:31 AM

That's not a very nice thing to say about the Esso. Does it smell bad, or is it the odorless kind?

Apr 19, 2015, 1:21 PM

around the time I graduated they upgraded it (hmm '03-'04?) was always a dive that really brought out our Forestry and Ag crowd. Complete makeover brought a new clientele for sure! Lots more Greek life there when I left. Fond memories both ways for me

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic