Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is XT the game changer that Clowney was?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Is XT the game changer that Clowney was?

Jul 26, 2017, 3:01 PM

I've long thought that had Clowney come to Clemson, one of those teams, the Orange Bowl team that beat Oh St in particular, would have been a national championship team...he was that kind of game changer in his Fr and So seasons, before he quit his Jr season. Is XT that kind of guy? Can a play maker at DE make that kind of impact now?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is XT the game changer that Clowney was?

Jul 26, 2017, 3:10 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how Clowney Qualified academically myself. It was no secret he needed a major curve in classes just to graduate high school. Another reason his announcement had to be prolonged after NSD!

READ THIS

Jul 26, 2017, 3:13 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/sports/ncaafootball/12clowney.html

Re: READ THIS

Jul 26, 2017, 3:32 PM

I remember that. Like I said, it was no secret. They just swept it under the rug. Even the report card full of D's were probably F's curved up to D's.

And for the record. XT will be a bigger playmaker than Clowney, because I don't see XT taking games/plays off for his own selfish reasons.

The biggest joke was when Alshon Jeffries needed an "A" in

Jul 26, 2017, 4:57 PM

an online PHYSICS course to be eligible. He surprised everyone and made an "A". Go figure. A guy that did not have a 2.5 GPA in social studies, home ec,phys ed, took an unsupervised, on line physics class, FROM ANOTHER HIGH SCHOOL, and buckled down and got that "A". Good job.We need to hear about more success stories like that.

Didn't porkchop Jeffrey's coach get suspened

Jul 26, 2017, 5:34 PM

For talking about the actions it took for him to qualify???

I think you are right.***

Jul 29, 2017, 9:09 PM

Moreso, XT ,by all reports from IMG is a worker

Jul 26, 2017, 3:11 PM

Clowney was a Clown, that got on natural ability and infected the Coots with his off season work out habits(younger players follow the stars lead), his in season taking practices off to sit on the bike and his taking his last year off to protect himself. No more USuC DB's flexing over Clemson RB's ,they are now weak.

And

It looks like XT can get into Clemson,JC was headed to prep school if he chose Clemson.

don't you mean is xt the game changer

Jul 26, 2017, 3:13 PM

like mike williams, like dw, etc. those are actual champions. if clowney was a game changer sunshine, then the cocklovers wood have a trophy of some sort. so, no

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: don't you mean is xt the game changer

Jul 26, 2017, 5:00 PM

This observation stands the test of time .
The facts are formidable , and the premise is solid .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 26, 2017, 6:21 PM [ in reply to don't you mean is xt the game changer ]

before clowney went to carolina they had one 10 win season in the history of their school. they only had 9 yrs with more than 7 wins before he got there. they had won 4 bowl games. In his 3 yrs they were 11-2 every year and won 3 bowl games. since he left they have no years with more than 7 wins, and wont get it this year either. Id say he was a game changer. Id say they need to build him a freakin statue in front of the roach. He is their history

Jul 26, 2017, 7:58 PM

i would argue shaw was more valuable on that team

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jul 26, 2017, 3:14 PM

I think you're right that he's that much of a difference maker when healthy and going full speed. I think they are different players, though.

Xavier Thomas is more like a stout weakside end in a Vic Beasley mold. Imagine him like a 5-star, more developed Vic that already knew his position on the field coming in to school.

Clowney was a 6'6" 270 lb end that just looked like a giant safety on the field. I don't think Xavier is quite that kind of game changer, but maybe we could get a little Myles Garrett out of him.

Yes.***

Jul 26, 2017, 3:19 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jul 26, 2017, 3:30 PM

Yes he is. If he has a better attitude than Clowney (100% think that he does, imo) he could be even better. Physically, XT is blessed with unmeasurable talent

Clowney changed the game by taking his final year off

Jul 26, 2017, 3:35 PM

to avoid injury and secure his place in the draft.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jul 26, 2017, 4:09 PM

Yes I think XT has that X factor and will make an immediate impact at Clemson. He is a game changer type guy. I can see him becoming a All American his first year, he's that good in my opinion. With him going to IMG his last year will just give him a head start by getting the coaching and level of competion he will be going against on a daily basis. IMG is pretty much like high school Juco with the talent and coaching and weight programs it's run like a college and I think that will def help him in being an instant playmaker for Clemson! Also I have heard by multiple sources that Clowney wanted to come to clemson but grades might have made him to hardgraves and he didn't want any part in that and changed his mind could be wrong and false info.

Jul 26, 2017, 4:26 PM

I never thought the Clown was a game changer. His best year he got 10.5 sacks. Thats not a game changer. Thats a really good DE. When I used to say this at the time he was playing cootball the most common response was, "hes a game changer cause the other offenses have to run the other way/double team him/change plays/etc" My response: SO WHAT? Vic Beasley had way more sacks, was pre-season all conference/all american you dont think other teams double teamed him? Every year there are multiple pre season all conference DEs across the nation who are schemed around. His stats simply dont back up his draft position. I get his potential but I never got the hype.

Jul 26, 2017, 4:37 PM

His sophomore year he was untouchable. Clowney really was gameplanned around and still made an impact that year.

You can't just look at sacks and TFLs only when looking at how good someone actually is and how effective they are in a game. Clelin Farrell had 6.0 sacks last season but was completely unblockable in the last half of the games we played.

Clowney's junior year was pathetic though, and we have every right to clown on that season.

Jul 26, 2017, 7:32 PM

Clowney was a game changer. I hate that he got famous off an unblocked helmet to helmet that should have gotten him ejected but he was a great college player.

Mackenzie Alexander got 0 INT's his final year but was still the best CB in the nation.

Vic Beasley had a better college career than clown

Jul 26, 2017, 4:28 PM

A better pro too

We've got XK,XT,JW and KJ (I Hope) coming plus all the

Jul 26, 2017, 4:52 PM

others already here. Too bad they will be leaving early or we would be loaded to the hilt....

Jul 26, 2017, 5:05 PM

I've said this on here before about us winning a title with Clowney and Gurley.

Clowney was only a "game changer" when he had...

Jul 27, 2017, 1:09 AM

Melvin Ingram and Devin Taylor. Between sacks Clowney would disappear for large parts of games. And we all know about him taking his junior season off. Not denying Clowney's talent, but it still baffles me that there are still Clemson fans who buy into him being this "game changer" when he disappeared for large parts of a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic