Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's Solution Moving Forward? S.O.S/Perception/Schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

What's Solution Moving Forward? S.O.S/Perception/Schedule

Nov 8, 2019, 1:07 PM

I fully believe Clemson is in the CFP - if we win out! 100%.

What can be done in the future to avoid this same scenario from playing out moving forward? You schedule your non-conference P5 games years in advance - so if the school you scheduled is garbage - you get little credit for beating them(Texas A&M){they are not garbage just saying}.
We know today - at least the division ACC opponents that will be on the schedule and GT. We know an in state FCS team or Coastal Carolina will be on the schedule. South Carolina will be on the schedule.

The fans from Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, Penn State and any other team who has been missing the CFP all point to our schedule. The Pac 12 folks need to "shut up and sit down" 1st and foremost w/their weak ### conference!
Big 10 schools - Duke beat your west champion in Illinois by 14 if that tells you what I think about your conference(weak). Outside of Ohio State nobody has come close since 1997(Michigan). Where since that time 4 current ACC schools have played for it or won it.( Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT). Don't think much about that conference's ability to talk trash about the ACC.
The Big "no defense" 12 needs to learn how to consistently challenge Oklahoma or to play defense before "it as a whole" can be judgmental! Vince Young isn't coming back Texas; get over it and do better w/o belly aching so much.
Ahhh, the SEC with it's 6 teams below .500 is getting by on "one teams's accomplishments"! SEC schools at the bottom have lost to some of anybody so in no way shape or form do I give them a heads up top to bottom better grade! 1 - 4 they would have an advantage with only Clemson winning. The rest I would favor the ACC school or be no less than a pick'em.

The playoff committee I believe reacted out of peer pressure to punish Clemson for it's schedule. But their job is to get the "best teams in the playoffs"! Not the team that went and played the "perceived best schedule"! The best teams are supposed to play - so that's that.

Is there anything "short term" we could do to make this go away or is there too many logistics in getting games changed? Reschedules? Payouts? If so, what would that look like and what would be the unintended circumstances? I know many of you are smarter than me - I just need help understanding what exactly can be done. Or what people are thinking Clemson could do differently?
Thank You in advance!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's Solution Moving Forward? S.O.S/Perception/Schedule

Nov 8, 2019, 1:15 PM

simple. ACC needs to get better. In 2017 we overcame Syracuse loss because, VT (road game), Louisville (with Lamar Jackson), Miami (1 loss team in ACC Championship) and Auburn were all solid opponents. Even FSU at 6-6 still had Jimbo.
So none of this was even an issue when ACC was much better. Same thing in overcoming PITT lose the year before.
The last two years we have had to run the table as it is just a fact ACC is bad, SC is not the SC of 2010-2013 etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 1:31 PM

You're exactly right. All it really takes is 3-4 top 25 level teams in a conference to change the narrative.

don't sched UCon SC State and Wyoming in the same season***

Nov 8, 2019, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: don't sched UCon SC State and Wyoming in the same season***

Nov 8, 2019, 1:25 PM

Yeah, at this time we need to call up some decent B12 team with opponent swap (like TCU or Baylor) Thus UCONN gets a outside chance winnable Texas State or Sam UTSA game and they get a bump too.

Why not return the favor and travel to TCU... we need reclaim that game.

Nov 8, 2019, 2:10 PM

Didn't Wyoming beat an SEC team this year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 3:55 PM

I am fine with Wy.... it is UCONN that is basically about to become a DIII team.

Nov 8, 2019, 1:30 PM [ in reply to don't sched UCon SC State and Wyoming in the same season*** ]

I don't think that was done by preference...we couldn't find another home and home opponent that mutually fit both schools' schedules, nobody "good" is willing to play a one-game away series, and we don't want to give up a home date.

I'm hoping we still replace one of those guys or maybe get scheduled into a neutral site game like 'Bama has done so many times. Let's go play in Dallas or Atlanta.

Yep....the 2021 schedule is lacking....

Nov 8, 2019, 1:31 PM [ in reply to don't sched UCon SC State and Wyoming in the same season*** ]

If we think this year is bad with the schedule talk, then 2021 will put us to shame.
Of course, we may be entering that season on a 45 game win streak and in dynasty mode....but I'm not sure that putting UConn on there was the best idea.

I think a few of the ACC teams will re-bound by then and be ranked....but I'm a little concerned that those teams will be in the Coastal and not on the schedule.

Re: Yep....the 2021 schedule is lacking....

Nov 8, 2019, 2:21 PM

Yeah, we do have weak year in 2021.

But with SCAR every year, that's an SEC opponent and with the exception of 2021, we've got about as strong an OOC schedule as anyone could as for, given that we have a mid-major and an in-state school as the two warm-up games (same as everyone else does). Leaving out the in-state schools like Citadel, SC State, Furman...

2020: at Notre Dame, SCAR, Akron
2021: neither UConn or Wyoming will be an SOS helper, nor will SCAR probably
2022: at Notre Dame, SCAR, La Tech
2023: Notre Dame, at SCAR, Florida Atlantic
2024: UGA (Atlanta), SCAR, App State
2025: LSU, at SCAR, Troy

Not all games booked this far out

2026: at LSU, SCAR
2027: Notre Dame, at SCAR
2028: at Notre Dame, SCAR
2029: UGA, @SCAR
2030: at UGA, SCAR
2031: Notre Dame, at SCAR
2032: at UGA, SCAR
2033: UGA, at SCAR
2034: at Notre Dame, SCAR
2035: Oklahoma, at SCAR
2036: at Oklahoma, SCAR
2037: Notre Dame, at SCAR

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...2021 is really the only problem...

Nov 8, 2019, 4:29 PM

The usual pattern is fine...that year is the only one that looks bad.
Perhaps some of our ACC brethren will be improved by then.

Looking At Louisville & Miami

Nov 8, 2019, 5:50 PM

I see Louisville improving dramatically under Satterfield. In fact, if they win this weekend versus Miami(i think they will though they are 7 point dogs) they should be favored the rest of the way. This would make them 9-3 on the season and likely ranked.

Miami - once they figure things out on offense; I think they will be a year end and year out contender! They may even get back to the point where they can retain some of the south Florida talent. Which isn't a great thing for my Tigers. But, we can handle it.

FSU - the boosters have been spoiled and won't tolerate losing. They have access to the players there in Florida and a good brand. They will be back sooner rather than later!

North Carolina and Nancy State - both these schools have lots of potential to be really good. IN fact, nancy state usually finds itself ranked at least a few weeks every season except this one. They get top 20 classes as far as recruiting so really no excuse. They definitly out recruit many Pac 12 and Big 10 schools so no reason they aren't any better! Nancy I think just needs to find a QB and they will be back to respectable!(as far as record b/c that's as far up the respect tree they can go).

Pittsburgh - is the wild card I am holding out hope can get good. They are basically a Big 10 school playing in the ACC. If they can field a consistent winner it would be great for the conference. Especially because of their location. They have 9 claimed National Titles as a program the most east of the Mississippi.
Georgia Tech - they are right smack in the middle of talent rich metro Atlanta! They have an energetic coach who will make it fun to play there. I look for them to get better under Collins quicker than you think.

So there you go - GT, Louisville and FSU and most of the time Nancy "SHOULD" be good going forward! Think about it if so.
Ranked FSU
Ranked Louisville
Ranked Nancy
SEC Opponent Ranked.

Maybe Si-ka-lina and maybe Nancy St.

That would be a solid resume.

Nov 8, 2019, 1:21 PM

I think the committee prefers to take the easiest path at this point in the season while hoping that things work themselves out by the end. By this I mean they know they can rank Clemson 5th right now based on the schedule while knowing that other teams have to lose and they'll be able to move us into the top 4 by the end of the year unless we lose a game. This way they don't have to answer questions about not rewarding a tougher SOS, while knowing it won't matter at the end of the year as they won't be faced with leaving out an unbeaten conference champion.

As for the SOS vs. the eye test debate. If we're being honest then any fan is going to take the side that currently benefits their own team. If we had a schedule with several ranked teams that included wins that went right down to the end, and we were being compared to a team that had not beaten any ranked teams but was blowing every opponent away then we'd be arguing for SOS mattering more. That's true for fans of any team though. You'll tend to change your opinion on what matters based on the current situation of your own team.

Nov 8, 2019, 1:26 PM

Also, personally I like rewarding a team for at least making an effort to schedule a tough OOC game. Let's say you're a non ACC team that 5-10 years ago scheduled FSU for this season. You probably thought you'd be playing a top 5-10 team at the time the game was scheduled, but you ended up getting a 5-7 or 6-6 team instead. I respect the fact that you tried to go out and play an elite team.

However, let's say you're Minnesota and your 3 OOC games are Georgia Southern, San Diego State, and Fresno State. It's hard for me to feel sorry for you not getting respect as an unbeaten team when that's the best OOC schedule you could come up with. Especially when you won those games by a combined 13 points with one of them going to overtime.

Nov 8, 2019, 2:22 PM

Yeah, who'd have known that playing two SEC teams for our OOC games would hurt our SOS instead of help it?

We just need to enter the NFL

Nov 8, 2019, 1:29 PM

Then no one will complain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Solution to what problem? What did I miss?

Nov 8, 2019, 1:50 PM

What problems?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

the problem of missing the cfp due to strenght of schedule

Nov 8, 2019, 6:39 PM

and espn not treating us like blue bloods

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 2:08 PM

We could schedule fewer SEC teams for OOC games, as they seem to lower our SOS?

Nov 8, 2019, 6:59 PM

mpercy® said:

We could schedule fewer SEC teams for OOC games, as they seem to lower our SOS?

I think most on this board would tell you SC hasn't been a good team in a very long time. Don't give them any credit for being a "good team" now or in the future. Scheduling Auburn, Florida, Alabama, LSU (teams that have won a national championship in the last 100) years is a different story.

Nov 8, 2019, 2:16 PM

You have to keep in mind one of the reasons we schedule Powderpuff games each year is because those are home games. If replace those with games against other power five schools, those will be home and away games, that means one last home game each year.

That’s a big deal, that’s why the other power five schools also schedule powder puff games, so they can have more home games. That’s why they don’t want to give that up.

Nov 8, 2019, 2:20 PM

We could be doing that with Group of 5 teams instead of FCS teams, though. G5 are willing to take a payday for a 1-game away series.

Nov 8, 2019, 5:32 PM

We could be doing that with Group of 5 teams instead of FCS teams, though. G5 are willing to take a payday for a 1-game away series.

Yeah, like a Boise State. Or a UCF. Or even App State. Cincinnati is boosting Ohio States resume for example.

Nov 8, 2019, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: What's Solution Moving Forward? S.O.S/Perception/Schedule ]

Every Power 5 team has at least two "powder puff" games on their schedule. I thikn the Big 10 plays 9 conference games, so they only have 3 OOC games to schedule.

tOSU: Florida Atlantic, Miami (Ohio)
Alabama: New Mexico State, Western Carolina
LSU: Georgia Southern, Northwestern State, Utah State
PSU: Idaho, Buffalo
Florida: Towson, UT Martin

Nov 8, 2019, 2:34 PM

The Big10 doesn't play any FCS games. That's a change other conferences need to copy.

Very very simple: Have everything settled on the field by

Nov 8, 2019, 2:26 PM

rewarding nothing but winning. Eliminate all other criteria. No polls, strength of schedule, or anything based on anything subjective. The only thing that matters is winning. Only one representative per conference - the champion. This is so simple and self-evident, I can't believe we are still having this discussion. The solution is right in front of us, and has been the whole time; just do it already.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Very very simple: Have everything settled on the field by

Nov 8, 2019, 2:29 PM

That doesn't work when there are 5 conferences and 4 playoff spots. You'd have to expand to 5 playoff teams and then, you need 3 teams to get a bye. So you are back to some level of subjectivity to determine the ranking of the top 5.

There are a couple of solutions that would

Nov 8, 2019, 3:53 PM

expand the playoff to 8 teams. The right way would be to realign conferences in a common sense way based on geography that results in 8 conferences/champions/playoff teams. Less desirable but much better way than we have now would be to have the 5 conference champs automatically in and 3 teams selected to fill up to 8.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: There are a couple of solutions that would

Nov 8, 2019, 4:00 PM

Your second option doesn't solve the problem you stated, which is to settle it on the field. If you have to "select" 3 teams, you haven't removed the objectivity.

Realigning to 8 conferences, while it would fit an "easier" model for the CFP, has soooo many complications and hundreds of millions of dollars of consequences. That conversation would never get off the ground. It would be more likely to condense to 4 conferences.

That's why I said option 2 was "less desirable but better

Nov 8, 2019, 7:20 PM

than what we have now". And of course realigning conferences would be a major undertaking, but the money made from a legitimate playoff between regional champions would generate so much money heads would spin. Fear of change and those with a vested interest in the current failed system are the only things holding it back.

- H. L. Mencken

Nov 8, 2019, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Very very simple: Have everything settled on the field by ]

I'd look forward to seeing every major P5 team's schedule made up of teams like SC State, Furman, Charleston Southern, and Wofford each season then since all that would matter is winning.

Nov 8, 2019, 4:00 PM

I meant the OOC schedule of each team of course since the conference schedules would remain the same.

Why would it be like that? No reason in the world we still

Nov 8, 2019, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Very very simple: Have everything settled on the field by ]

couldn't or wouldn't play OOC teams like UGA, aTm, Coots, Auburn, etc, or they wouldn't play us. Those games would still generate a lot of money and interest.

- H. L. Mencken

Nov 8, 2019, 3:58 PM

Blow doors off everyone left!! Leave no doubt.

I'm glad this week is a road game, since that means we only travel with 72.

Our starters need to play 3 quarters. I hate that style points matter, but they clearly do.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 6:32 PM

I would prefer we drop a small school ooc game cupcake in place of at least a mid level P5 team.

Nov 8, 2019, 6:44 PM

Hill rock, great post. Excellent discussion that actually is about football. Apparently we have to steamroll every team until we’ve won enough Natty’s that the committee finally respects our stand alone strength no matter what our SOS is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 6:56 PM

Short term:
Wake beat VT
UL beat Miami
UVA win out
Scar beat App (hard to wish for)
Beat everyone on schedule by multiple TDs

Nov 8, 2019, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Re: What's Solution Moving Forward? S.O.S/Perception/Schedule ]

Thanks! Yeah, I appreciate everyone chiming in. Really wanted to see where everyone was on "moving forward" scheduling.
Because - it's bound to keep happening where we have to go through this "drama"!

I hate "drama"!

But, seems we are somewhat in the hands of our ACC foes ability to play tackle football well enough to earn some respect!

Nov 8, 2019, 7:09 PM

Ummmmm, only thing that put us at #5, was eeking out a 1 point win against UNC. We handle that game like double digit favorites and we are top 3.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 7:36 PM

Drop the FCS game, add Notre Dame and Memphis football to the ACC, and go to 9 conference games.

FSU, Miami, and Va Tech won't be down forever. Satterfield is already turning Louisville around, and Mack Brown will make UNC stronger.

Memphis would add a large TV market, too.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic