Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A juror just called into Walt's show.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

A juror just called into Walt's show.

Jul 23, 2015, 5:14 PM

Said a majority of the jurors wanted the $10,000 charge, a couple other jurors didn't agree.

The jurors who didn't agree with the over $10,000 charge were puzzled that the rock hadn't been appraised prior to the incident. They thought it wasn't valuable until it was broken (that's how I understood what he said). Did I really just hear that?

Said that all of the jurors knew he was the one who broke the Rock. That wasn't an issue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Thanks, that's good information

Jul 23, 2015, 5:20 PM

I don't like the verdict, but I understand it. The valuation of the Rock was always the weak part of the case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Howard's Rock is priceless to those of us long associated

Jul 23, 2015, 5:22 PM

with Clemson and its history.

To others it's a rock...nothing more, nothing less. Hence, why I believe a stalemate arose as to the charges. This tells me that the solicitor failed to relate the rock's sentimental value in a personal way to all the jurors....Either that or one or more of the jurors just couldn't grasp its worth to the Clemson family.

Nevertheless, the defendant stands convicted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howard's Rock is priceless to those of us long associated

Jul 23, 2015, 5:28 PM

He should be banned from Death Valley and forced to attend 30 games at The Cockroach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the sentence should have been...

Jul 23, 2015, 5:33 PM

having to lay down underneath the carpet on the Hill as the players run down.

How can you monetarily value sentiment?

Jul 23, 2015, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Howard's Rock is priceless to those of us long associated ]

Legally speaking, it's a rock. No matter how much Clemson people value it there's just no way to value it legally

^^^this^^^***

Jul 23, 2015, 6:55 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can you monetarily value sentiment?

Jul 23, 2015, 10:01 PM [ in reply to How can you monetarily value sentiment? ]

So is a diamond.... A value should be placed on the object via fair market value. What would a willing buyer pay a willing seller? If the rock were for sale in an auction, what do you think it would sell for? Diamonds are valuable because of their demand by buyers in a open fair market. An expert qualified witness testified what the estimated fair market value would be if the rock were broken into 100 pieces and sold. The defense attorney refuted it but had no expert testify to his opinion. The two jurors erred in their judgement. BTW, how much do you think a 1967 Chevy Corvette is worth today? Sticker price? To think it's just a rock is ignorant.

Jul 24, 2015, 12:20 AM

Economically speaking, Howard's Rock could be considered a private good with overwhelmingly public characteristics, and thus should be valued as a public good. Ideally, the valuation would be conducted by asking every Clemson fan how much they would actually pay out of their pocket to protect the rock from damage and obtaining a reasonable value from the Clemson fanbase. Thus, they would arrive at an approximate amount between $100 million and ALL THE MONEY EVER CREATED.
Either way, the valuation was done improperly, as it doesn't accurately reflect the value of the rock to the university and the Clemson Fanbase.

I CALL BULLCHIT!

Jul 24, 2015, 4:58 AM [ in reply to How can you monetarily value sentiment? ]

You start a fund for a reward for the return of that missing chunk and you'll find it's true market value.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

Jul 24, 2015, 7:37 AM [ in reply to How can you monetarily value sentiment? ]

the true value of the rock is in the history of it. Truthfully there are other rocks that can be brought to replace it from Death valley but they would never be like the one that was first used to fire up the team by Coach Howard. It has been a Clemson iconic symbol for years and the longevity and history of it, is what makes it more valuable than a normal rock.

Take the example of the flag that flew in Baltimore for which our national anthem was written by Francis Scott Key. It is merely a flag that can be replaced by a flag of similar size and construction. But it is priceless as an icon. and can never be deemed a common flag.

Our rock is similarly priceless and cannot be deemed "common as dirt". Think of the iconic players, coaches, fans of all ages that have rubbed and polished its exterior by their touch.

Anyone who can say its merely a rock and nothing more has no sense of history, or the value of something historic. And their opinion of it should be ignored by the masses of people that know the way things really are.

It is infinitely more valuable to Clemson people than 10K...period

Jul 24, 2015, 8:31 AM [ in reply to How can you monetarily value sentiment? ]

"Legally speaking, it's a rock. No matter how much Clemson people value it there's just no way to value it legally."

Much the same as the Statue of Liberty is just a statue, and not worth any more than the value of the copper it's made of.

does majority not rule?***

Jul 23, 2015, 5:33 PM

Re: does majority not rule?*** No

Jul 23, 2015, 5:58 PM

I'm not a lawyer but wanted to be one once upon a time. For civil cases I believe the majority dictates the decision. In a criminal trial such as this then it has to be unanimous. That is my holiday inn express understanding.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i say a few of us old Clemson Boys take this Rock crook and..

Jul 23, 2015, 6:07 PM

Well, you know!

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at all, it has to be unanimous between all members

Jul 23, 2015, 6:49 PM [ in reply to does majority not rule?*** ]

of the jury. If they can't reach a decision, its a hung jury and/or a mistrial from my limited understanding.

GO TIGERS

Re: does majority not rule?***

Jul 23, 2015, 8:51 PM [ in reply to does majority not rule?*** ]

Our system of justice is not perfect, but it is the best ever devised by the hand of man and the mind of man.

Re: does majority not rule?***

Jul 23, 2015, 9:19 PM

I am not listening to ANYONE that would name themself " cockhoppy " . I mean , what in the HEYALL ? Is that some sort of admission ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

"Juror"..... Could have been a juror, or a dumb drummer.

Jul 23, 2015, 8:42 PM

That proves nothing - a random person claiming to be a juror, calling a radio show.

Re: "Juror"..... Could have been a juror, or a dumb drummer.

Jul 23, 2015, 8:47 PM

DaCockFool is actually right for once , we all know that there is no way to prove that this wasn't some Johnny Lunchmeat call-in fan who wanted to lie for 5 minutes .
Oh , and suck it Coot !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: "Juror"..... Could have been a juror, or a dumb drummer.

Jul 23, 2015, 8:50 PM [ in reply to "Juror"..... Could have been a juror, or a dumb drummer. ]

Yes, because that's totally worth lying about.

Kind of like your fandom. Are you really this embarrassed to be a Gamecock? No one blames you.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Should've let it be a hung jury

Jul 23, 2015, 9:14 PM

Can't believe the majority of the jurors wimped out and let this kid get away with a misdemeanor.

find that hard to believe....

Jul 23, 2015, 9:35 PM

not saying someone did not call it to the show, but I have serious doubts it was a juror. You posted this at 5:14...the jury did not even come out of the jury room until 5:00. They would have had to sit thru the reading of the verdict and the sentencing. No way was he able to call the show unless he was in the court room or jury room

I heard the interview

Jul 23, 2015, 10:30 PM

guy sounded pretty credible to me. If he was faking it then he was pretty prepared before he called in.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic