Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Hopkins releases statement as he ends holdout
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

FB Update: Hopkins releases statement as he ends holdout

Jul 31, 2016, 2:55 PM

Hopkins releases statement as he ends holdout

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did they finally pay him? if not stupid move***

Jul 31, 2016, 2:58 PM

Does not appear that they have intentions to renegotiate.

Jul 31, 2016, 3:04 PM

Maybe later but as of an hour ago they were not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

disgusting they want to shaft their best player on offense

Jul 31, 2016, 3:06 PM

like that

No doubt.

Jul 31, 2016, 3:11 PM

They seem to be a glutton ran organization.

Must plan on Fuller down the road, because I doubt NUK forgets this when he becomes a free agent.

At this rate they mine as well trade NUK, imo.

and that explains why they never make any kind of...

Jul 31, 2016, 8:44 PM [ in reply to disgusting they want to shaft their best player on offense ]

playoff push even though they have had teams with talent, poorly managed team.

Re: did they finally pay him? if not stupid move***

Jul 31, 2016, 5:28 PM [ in reply to did they finally pay him? if not stupid move*** ]

Lets see 1 million contract and if he stays home it cost 40 thousand a day so that means in 25 days he would not get paid anything by them I think he made a smart move. The guy signed a contract honor it and no that you have a big payday coming down the road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Injury risk is the main reason these guys want to

Jul 31, 2016, 7:48 PM

strike while they can.

That contract doesn't mean crap if you tear up your knee.

The average NFL career is 3.5 years

Aug 1, 2016, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: did they finally pay him? if not stupid move*** ]

you have to make your money up front as a hedge against your career ending early.

He signed a contract, therefore he must play.

Jul 31, 2016, 2:33 PM

We can be biased if we want, but if we don't show up for work because we want a raise, we get fired. The NFL is a business. He deserves to be paid, when his legally binding contract expires.

Re: He signed a contract, therefore he must play.

Jul 31, 2016, 3:15 PM

If I had been paid like Hopkins and was in a position to make 15-20 million a year in the future I might be better served to sit out the season than to risk it because they want to pay me 1:20 of that.

If I don't show up to work I could get fired but if my worth is more than what they are paying I will find a better job within days. Hopkins doesn't have that option so the hold out is his only means.

null

But then who is going to hire you if your the kind of person

Jul 31, 2016, 7:44 PM

who sits out and doesn't fulfill your end of an agreement? Some team will but by doing it you've already cut your pool of potential suitors considerably. You'll get a pay day but not nearly what it could be.

I don't blame Nuke for wanting more money, I don't blame him for wanting to stay with Texans, It's a smart play to give them first dibs on your long career while simultaneously benefiting financially. But if they don't want to deal then go do the honorable thing and fulfill your end of the contract you willingly entered into. All the while knowing that another organization who appreciates you more will be in your future.

Next year the Texans are gonna have to pony up if they want to match his value on the open market. Long term, they could've gotten a deal by getting him a year early. I think what this means is they have no intention of keeping him at value next year anyway.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

It's Nuk, not Nuke.***

Aug 1, 2016, 10:36 AM

Jul 31, 2016, 3:16 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

Much different than a 9 to 5 job. It is a business and I hope he gives them the business during negotiations. Those guys take a ton of hits before the age 25. Owners are shrewd businessmen. Do they really care about the players?

Houston, you have a problem !

Jul 31, 2016, 3:20 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

You just alienated your best player ! He will be gone before long, leaving you with a injured clown on defense and no quarterback. You're on the fast track to join Cleveland in the cellar !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the Texans can cut him or trade him in a split second...

Jul 31, 2016, 3:25 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

yes it's a business and both sides play it. Unfortunately for the Texans Nuk will be leaving them when his contract is up. He is worth more than his contract, and it has nothing to with bias on our part. Any player that has achieved what he has deserves a new contract.

If you helped your company to outperform, you would...

Jul 31, 2016, 3:35 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

be seeking a pay raise or looking for a job that pays more for what you do.

Jul 31, 2016, 3:49 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

They new he signed and endorsement contract with Addias as well. They know that he's not going to be able to sit home and continue to be paid by Addias. They have the upper hand right now. Franchise your best receiver Texans.

Nuk asked for early renegotiation. The Texans declined.

Jul 31, 2016, 5:15 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

Dumb move on their part - they have exclusive access right now. When he becomes a free agent, they have already started off with a poor position - I expect Deandre to land elsewhere when his contract expires. He gave Houston first dibs and they declined...their loss.

Jul 31, 2016, 5:20 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

Which he has obviously decided to do.
He also has the right to hold out, pay penalties and wait.
Nuk would be right to gauge the Texans' GM valuation of him to the ongoing success of the team.

Houston could have approached this situation much differently and with more foresight.
Their administration appears to have refused to negotiate in any way. That was a poor decision and one I expect they will regret in the not too distant future.

The old saying comes to mind - To know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
I expect Texas to pay the price for that inability.

When he's gone, Texas can take that expired contract and frame it.
Nuk's autograph will still be worth something.

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

agree..and maybe he can afford to hire someone

Jul 31, 2016, 6:36 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

to proof his "statements" before they are released.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So if you produce more than anyone at your work and you look

Aug 1, 2016, 9:49 AM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

And see guys who don’t do near as much as what you do getting paid well over what you’re getting with your newby contract that you signed 4 years ago you’d be asking for a raise too. Because you look at guys that work for other companies that are getting 10 times the money you’re making but your boss is playing the gotcha game bc he technically can. It shows no loyalty and mismanagement of your assets to a guy who causes no trouble works harder than anyone on offense with little to work with and produces like he has Brady throwing him the ball. You make sure JJ Watt and D Hopkins are happy on your team. Knowing Nuk’s character he’s not looking to be the top paid WR in the NFL, he’s just looking to get something that is common sense. He’s a top 3 WR in the NFL and is getting paid what Philly Brown or Teddy Ginn is getting. It is commonplace to up your pay if you’re the best player on the team but they said no to even helping out a little. Screw them. Instead they’re paying goobers like Clowney 1.4 million every two weeks and he doesn’t play at all and that’s what DHop is getting for a year of ProBowl stats with a rotation of scrubby QB’s. If Dhop played with Brady or Roethlisberger or CAM he would be the best WR in the NFL no doubt. And rookie contracts are stupid at this point b/c the NFL career is no gaurenteed. Contract negotiations are typical in this situation its not like our lives. NFL doesn’t garuentee you a dime so you have to stick up for yourself or they’ll screw you over what you’re owed if you let them.

well,

Aug 1, 2016, 1:09 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

They ripped up jk watts contract and a corner who's name I can't remember. So I would be mad if I was him too. He just wants what he is worth, and it is waaaaaay more than one million dollars. Plus look how much they are paying doo doo......

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2016, 4:44 PM [ in reply to He signed a contract, therefore he must play. ]

Bias has nothing to do with it and comparing this to someone working a regular job without a contract involved is ridiculous. You are right though about him playing due to signing a contract but there is nothing wrong with him trying to get them to renegotiate it. There are plenty of examples of other players renegotiating their contracts, after proving their worth. The Texans are absolute idiots for not renegotiating because now, Nuk is unlikely to want to remain with the team when his contract expires. If they were smart, they would have tried to get him to sign a new long term contract but I believe they have proven that they aren't smart at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other words he will be leaving the Texans when his...

Jul 31, 2016, 3:21 PM

contract is up or ask for a trade in the final year of his contract

unless they designate him a franchise player. He'll get his

Jul 31, 2016, 4:18 PM

money, but he can't go to Free Agency.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

He'd probably still leave the next year

Aug 1, 2016, 10:41 AM

why stick with a team that didn't do right by you?

Re: FB Update: Hopkins releases statement as he ends holdout

Jul 31, 2016, 3:27 PM

This is a really stupid move on the Texan's part. While I agree that Hopkins should honor his word, the Texans may have ruined their chance to re-sign him when the time comes. It will be their loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texans were dumb not to reward him financially.

Jul 31, 2016, 4:13 PM

He is producing wayyyyy above his pay grade! Like big time. Clowney for instance is wasting money! Do the math. Hopkins won't be with them next year and I agree with his stance

$40K For Every Missed Day Of Camp Can Add Up Too ----

Jul 31, 2016, 4:58 PM

Thats another thorn poking in your side. That contract has a few no win sisituations in it.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic