Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
clemson baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

clemson baseball

Mar 30, 2015, 7:30 AM

agree now change has to be made but anyone ever thought why clarke schmidt is a gamecock rather than a tiger with his brother. word is the money clarke got from the cooties as opposed with what we were able to offer is astounding. fact is until that is fixed we are going to be at a terrible disadvantage no matter who is here. that being said we should be doing better no doubt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: clemson baseball

Mar 30, 2015, 8:06 AM

I woke up this morning wondering whether I was going to see Bigfoot or Nessie and Deroberts springs this post on me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2015, 8:13 AM

Morris, I'm as shocked as you, but de is right. Been hearing for a while what a huge disadvantage we are at when it comes to $. That HAS to be fixed as well.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:15 AM

so how do we change that? why and how did it become a problem? Just seems like CU could and should be as competitive as anyone

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2015, 8:23 AM

By no means an expert on this, but I hear that other schools creatively get around it. For some reason we havn't figured it out. Can anyone shed light on this?

11.7 total scholarships for a roster of 35 with i believe

Mar 30, 2015, 8:40 AM

no more than 27 receiving "athletic" scholarship money.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article3831986.html

[quick overview above] years ago, schools began using endowment funds to supplement their baseball programs with academic financial aid...

because the 11.7 ttl spread over 27 possible scholarships means a number of .25[smallest you can offer] scholarships, schools that use endowment monies have a very nice advantage... not to mention the significant difference in out-of-state tuition makes the discrepancies even greater.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 11.7 total scholarships for a roster of 35 with i believe

Mar 30, 2015, 8:46 AM

Again, student athletes pay in-state tuition.

It's harder for out of state kids because they're not eligible for things like the LIFE scholarship. It doesn't make much sense for a kid from GA to pass up on his hope scholarship if he has offers from UGA and USC or Clemson.

But likewise that helps us keep in-state talent from going to UGA because their offers are less than appealing.

But it is just straight up cheating what Corbin and Vanderbilt are doing. Completely unfair they have essentially a full team on full scholarship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

the only point to this was to demonstrate cu's disadvantage.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:49 AM

thankfully the admin is reportedly working on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2015, 9:00 AM [ in reply to 11.7 total scholarships for a roster of 35 with i believe ]

Yes...thank you, this is what I had seen before.

Mar 30, 2015, 9:07 AM [ in reply to 11.7 total scholarships for a roster of 35 with i believe ]

Yep, and we're at a severe disadvantage because if I'm not mistaken we have the smallest endowment in the ACC.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Mar 30, 2015, 9:10 AM

we have enough money to build a taj mahal for football. as well we should. how much money could it cost to fix it. seems to be a no brainer. we should demand it instead of complaining on a message board.

Mar 30, 2015, 9:16 AM

I would imagine the issue there is athletic funding vs academic funding. I doubt we could use the athletic funding that is renovating stadiums and create academic funding to offset the difference in scholarship monies for our baseball team.

I don't know how all of that works, but I'd imagine there is some redtape there. I would also think that athletes would have to earn academic scholarship money against all of the other students.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

it seems clements is helping. as much as some want to

Mar 30, 2015, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: 11.7 total scholarships for a roster of 35 with i believe ]

complain about barker, clemson's national brand is as high as it's ever been because of his work.

slow is slow, but not necessarily bad. clemson financially is in a great spot with almost no significant long-term, "unmanageable" debt. grants are at an all-time high as well, which is big business on the academic side.

princeton review's, time magazine, academic standing and a powerful message coming from the football program, just the tip, all lend to clemson's increased standing.

everyone knows the paw.

i just want the next coach to be on as equal a playing field

Mar 30, 2015, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: 11.7 total scholarships for a roster of 35 with i believe ]

as possible.

clemson baseball has relied on 2 names[clemson & jl] for some time now, while most of the money, time and focus was placed on football[nothing wrong with this]. the baseball money has amped up only recently and hopefully clemson can offer something in terms of financial "help", but we see how long it's taken[good reasons] to make things happen with some admin changes to juco admissions in football.

yes, clemson is "poor", not oliver poor, but still. ;)

Welcome to the club. We've been missing you at the meetings***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Do y'all serve any snacks?***

Mar 30, 2015, 9:35 AM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

york and Tigerfansince1972 brought doughnuts last month***

Mar 30, 2015, 10:13 AM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find it difficult to believe that scholarship avenue

Mar 30, 2015, 8:19 AM

hasn't been addressed by the Athletic Director already....and it should have been done under Terry Don. I hope and expect it to be resolved by the start of next baseball season. Not having the Tigers participate in that out-of-state scholarship "market" is a giant disadvantage in recruiting... I doubt Clemson will allow full academic scholarships to athletes that don't have the true grades to deserve them--as we all know, some schools can play fast and loose with academic schollies to steer around the NCAA limits for baseball schollies

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I find it difficult to believe that scholarship avenue

Mar 30, 2015, 8:25 AM

RIGHT JIM. THAT BEING SAID WE HAVE LOTS OF PROBLEMS BUT OUR FANS SHOULD DEMAND THAT WE COMPETE WITH OTHER MAJOR PROGRAMS ON A LEVEL FIELD. IT COULDNT COST THAT MUCH MORE MONEY. HE!! WE ARE SPENDING LIKE A DRUNKEN SAILOR ON FOOTBALL AND #### WELL WE SHOULD BUT IF WE WANT TO PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS LETS DEMAND WE GET COMPETITIVE OFF THE FIELD AS WELL IN BASEBALL.

You have your caps lock on.***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:32 AM

Re: I find it difficult to believe that scholarship avenue

Mar 30, 2015, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: I find it difficult to believe that scholarship avenue ]

As much as I love Football and it should ALWAYS be #1 at Clemson I was pretty disgusted when the LJ project had some budget cut so Dabo could build a new facility by the practice fields the same year.

I dont understand why the Football Facility could not wait ONE YEAR before starting.

null

It pi$$es a bunch of us off that we have to wait to have

Mar 30, 2015, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I find it difficult to believe that scholarship avenue ]

a bad baseball season (and being unsure if the Tigers will finish above .500 qualifies as a "bad" season) before something is done.

And I agree with your initial post, "change is a comin'"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, sir. Need to make the $$ reasonably distributed.

Mar 30, 2015, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I find it difficult to believe that scholarship avenue ]

Otherwise why ever say we are truly competing for championships in either basketball OR baseball? Fact of the matter is we are NOT based on facilities, scholarships, and coaches' compensation.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:22 AM

There are zero caps in this post....

deroberts its going to be okay buddy. Clemson Baseball will not be down for long.

null

Mar 30, 2015, 8:26 AM

IT WILL BE UNLESS WE DEMAND IT GETS FIXED

Mar 30, 2015, 8:30 AM

I agree with that and you know me I have been asking for change for years :(

I have posted stats and all that good stuff in the past to show we were going no where.... Even I was not expecting a crash like this though.

Nothing in my stats predicted a season like this one.

null

I wish I could find it but I posted before the season that we could very well have a 2008 type of year. And of course I was berated for that.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:36 AM

2008 team was 17-8 through 25 games....

They were actually having a okay season before they went on a 10+ game losing streak mid season.

I dont see this team finishing above 500 this year.

null

Mar 30, 2015, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: clemson baseball ]

I know with 100% certainty that this is what happened with the Park kid outta Greenville. He committed to Clemson then the coots came in and offered full ride..hence he's a coot now.

Well in all fairness

Mar 30, 2015, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: clemson baseball ]

you're also a moran, so some peeps coulda been berating you for that

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

That's rich coming from....

Mar 30, 2015, 10:10 AM

Mar 30, 2015, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: clemson baseball ]

BELIEVE IT OR NOT I DONT CARE WHO THE COACH IS. I WANT US PLAYING ON A LEVEL FIELD. THEY ARE SURE GIVING FOOTBALL EVERYTHING POSSIBLE, AS WELL THEY SHOULD. LETS JUST GET IT FIXED.

Re: clemson baseball***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:28 AM

Mar 30, 2015, 8:29 AM

ALL IS WELL 08 HAS CHIMED IN

I'M JUST AMAZED THAT YOU OF ALL PEOPLE AGREE THAT A CHANGE NEEDS TO BE MADE.

Your caps lock is still stuck.***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: clemson baseball*** ]

Mar 30, 2015, 8:30 AM

So Wake is paying their players more?

I suppose better 5 yrs late to the party than never.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:35 AM

Now a you invite ArmsB and EpiNotVeryFunny with you. On second thought leave them to sink with the ship.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:35 AM

All athletes get charged in-state tuition. I can't imagine the tuition difference being that much different between the schools can it?

Or did we just offer a much bigger scholarship percentage than Clemson did?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

All athletes DO NOT get charged in-state tuition.***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:49 AM

You sure?

Mar 31, 2015, 3:26 PM

This says that they are, and that is considered part of the subsidy that athletics gets from the University.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/local-news/clemson-faculty-get-schooled-sports-economics

Hill said reports on how self-sustaining athletics departments are will vary depending on accounting definitions. Clemson, for instance, grants in-state tuition to athletes so that the scholarship dollars stretch further — a savings of about $2.5 million to the athletics department. This and the student fee, though it provides tickets to students, are considered subsidies in some reports.

In State Clemson is $3000 more/yr and growing annually***

Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: clemson baseball ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In State Clemson is $3000 more/yr and growing annually***

Mar 30, 2015, 9:34 AM

It's no consolation but the coot baseball program is going down also.

Coots are 18-7 on the year.

Mar 30, 2015, 9:52 AM

Right now I'd take that.

Coots, however, have lost 4 out of their last 5 including losses to Winthrop & Coastal. Sound familiar?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Coots are 18-7 on the year.

Mar 30, 2015, 9:56 AM

And 2 out of 3 to us....OUCH

Re: Coots are 18-7 on the year.

Mar 30, 2015, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Coots are 18-7 on the year. ]

ACTUALLY 19-9 BUT WHO IS COUNTING

but just 3 - 9 against the only decent teams they've played***

Mar 30, 2015, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Coots are 18-7 on the year. ]

null

Mar 30, 2015, 5:16 PM

If we are truly @ a recruiting disadvantage we need to find out do did this to us and make sure his replacement get this fixed FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2015, 5:29 PM

I agree with you. This administration needs to give baseball all the financial help it can get. If we do fully get into the ACM , will our academic elitist allow us get the baseball athletes in?

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic